• Someone Is Going Through a Growth Spurt {Wednesday}

July 24, 2014

Hi, guys! Just popping in to give you a little recap of yesterday!

Breakfast

Q and I were up at 3:30 AM, so by the time we finished with everything, it was just about 5:00 AM, so I started my day. I figured while everyone was sleeping (both Q and Murphy ate breakfast and then went back to bed), I should get some work done. Breakfast was a pita with almond butter and banana slices inside and two glasses of iced coffee with vanilla almond milk ice cubes.

SAMSUNG CSC

Mal woke up around 7:45 AM (Q started fussing), so I took Murphy for a walk while he was on baby duty. After that, I got ready for CrossFit and headed to the gym to get my sweat on!

Workout

The 9:00 AM class at 781 was bumping yesterday! It was like a Saturday class! So fun!

photo (2) (800x600)

The workout was Open WOD 13.2, which I’ve done twice already, so I was excited to see how I would do after having a baby. I finished the workout with a score of 209 (6+29), which was 27 reps less than my 2013 Open performance, but I’m happy that I am getting back into the swing of things. It was my first Rx workout since giving birth! Yay!

photo (4) (800x800)

Snack

I was starving when I got home from CrossFit, so I threw together some random leftovers from the fridge to hold me over until lunchtime: sautéed kale, roasted zucchini and summer squash, sweet potato wedges, and black bean dip.

SAMSUNG CSC

While I was eating, Q started to get fussy, so I set my food down on the coffee table and picked him up. Well, apparently, Murphy was really hungry (and probably super jealous) because he started to EAT my food! Bad dog! Murphy has always been a beggar, but he’d never eat food off your plate—or so I thought! I really think the little butthead was trying to get my attention with his bad behavior. Anyway, after my food had been licked, it wasn’t very appetizing, so I threw it away and then poured myself a bowl of gluten-free, grain-free, GMO-free granola with almond milk. Larabar recently sent me some of their new Renola to sample, and it’s my new favorite thing. I pretty much can’t stop eating it!

SAMSUNG CSC

After that, the day pretty much got away from me. I tried to get some work done, but Q was super cranky. I’m pretty sure he’s going through a growth spurt (apparently, there’s one around 6 weeks) because all he has wanted to do is eat for the past two days. It also seemed like he just wanted to be held, so we spent a lot of time together and before I knew it, it was almost 3:00 PM, and my stomach was grumbling like crazy!

Lunch

Lunch was the most random mix of leftovers from the fridge, but it worked!

SAM_1551 (800x533)

And after that, I ate some fruit salad.

SAM_1557 (800x533)

Mal finished off the container. Clearly, Q was not impressed.

photo (7) (600x800)

Dinner

A few hours later, Mal, Q, and I headed to our friends’ new condo for dinner and drinks. My friend Jess made my Simple Summer Sangria for us!

photo 2 (800x600)photo 3 (800x800)

photo 1 (800x600)

After being cooped up in the house for the past 6 weeks with a newborn, Mal and I finally feel ready to venture out more regularly and get our social life back in order. The next two weeks are actually really busy for us, so it’ll be interesting to see how things go with Q. I’m just glad life is getting back to normal—well, a new normal.

The end.

Megan @ The Skinny-Life July 24, 2014 at 12:35 pm

I think in life we’re always adjusting to our “new normal.” I’m sure it will work out! It’s tough when we don’t know what to expect though.

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles July 24, 2014 at 12:35 pm

OMG the growth spurt weeks. Three weeks, Six Weeks, Three months and then again at six months (that one I didn’t notice as much). It is 10 years later and I will never forget. Pretty sure the 6- week one is where I was nauseous from constantly nursing, around the clock it felt like.

Britt@MyOwnBalance July 24, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Q’s face in that photo is hilarious! So glad you are getting back on track. It seems like you’ve adjusted very quickly! Although, 3am! Geesh!

Cortney July 24, 2014 at 12:41 pm

That salad at your friends house looks amazing! I feel the need to make one to night! yum!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh July 24, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Naughty Murphy! ;-)

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl July 24, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Dinner looks yummy! Good job at Crossfit!

Tricia July 24, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Gosh aren’t you so tired waking up at 3am?? Do you nap?

Tina July 24, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Yep, very tired.

Tricia July 24, 2014 at 2:03 pm

@Tina: I give you so much credit for still doing as much as you’re doing on that little sleep. I could never. Good for you!

Shelly July 25, 2014 at 8:37 am

@Tricia:

Have you thought about changing from decaf to regular coffee? I dont know if thats possible with your health/breastfeeding, but some Mothers have said to me coffee is all that kept them going during the hard times. I think youre doing an amazing job as it is though!

Heddie July 26, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Any post partum issues? Are you ok?

Laura @ She Eats Well July 24, 2014 at 1:07 pm

The new normal seems tiring but awesome! Also, I wouldn’t be able to keep my hands out of that granola…!

Melisa July 24, 2014 at 1:15 pm

You will rejoice and sing from the rooftops the first morning your baby sleeps through the night. Around 8 weeks, you’re ‘thisclose’.

Christine July 24, 2014 at 2:45 pm

@Melisa: huh?! How do you know when her baby or any baby will sleep through the night? And night waking is a completely normal newborn behavior and survival mechanism for them.

Grace July 24, 2014 at 3:23 pm

@Christine: I agree, assuming the “goal” of sleeping through the night for a young baby can give a lot of false hope! The biggest lesson I learned in those early months of parenting is that baby sleep is anything but linear; I know few people who escaped the four month sleep regression. My little one was sleeping in 6-7 hour stretches before it hit, then at just shy of four months old she reverted to near-hourly wake-ups for over two months (coinciding right when I returned to work full time, it was a little painful!). Most children, if nursed on demand, will start to sleep through the night at anywhere from a few months to a few years, this is biologically and developmentally normal. This is the best article I’ve seen on newborn sleep: http://www.parentingscience.com/night-wakings.html
    Not to mention the fact that earliest one can safely and healthily sleep train, if one wants to go that route, is 6 months, according to all the major experts like Ferber and Weissbluth (and I think Ferber’s revised his stance now to 8 or 9 months as the earliest you can safely CIO, if I remember correctly).

Rachel July 25, 2014 at 6:41 am

@Grace: Most of the grownups I know don’t sleep through the night. The No-cry Sleep Solution is a wonderful resource and so is Moxie. http://moxie.blogs.com/askmoxie/2005/12/quick_and_dirty.html

Annie Atherton July 28, 2014 at 9:12 am

@Rachel: Hmm… my youngest turned 3 in June, and she doesn’t sleep through the night

Becky @ Olives n Wine July 24, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Oooh – Murphy! That totally sounds like something my dog would do ;) Sometimes people food must just smell so much better than their dog food!

Jenny July 24, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Hadn’t checked in on your blog in ages and thought of it today – congratulations!

Jenny July 24, 2014 at 1:23 pm

… congrats on the baby, that is. Not on my checking in. :D

Kathryn @ Chicks Dig Running July 24, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Good job on the CF workout! I can’t even imagine what it’s like getting back into hard workouts after having a baby.

Also – love sangria! One of the best summer drinks out there.

Jenn@ Mark My Miles! July 24, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Yes, this is the new normal and I am still adjusting to it as well. Some days I miss the old normal but my little man is SO worth it!!! How are you ding with adjusting?

Tina July 24, 2014 at 2:22 pm

I’m very, very tired! 😉

Ashley @ Saving Money in your Twenties July 24, 2014 at 1:41 pm

yummm that fruit salad looks amazing! Also, love Q’s face in that pic. haha, so not impressed

Jen @ Pretty Little Grub July 24, 2014 at 2:10 pm

You seriously make motherhood look easy (I’m sure it’s not). Great job at crossfit though! That’s amazing post baby workout.

Amy July 24, 2014 at 2:12 pm

My son was born a few days before yours. Last week he was hungry, crabby and needy! Now he’s back to his regular happy self and sleeping 7 hour stretches at night again. The 6 week growth spurt is real!

Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit July 24, 2014 at 2:29 pm

So good that you’re venturing out more. You’ll be so glad you did later on when you look back. I want that fruit salad!!

Kimberly July 24, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Ohhhhh the six week growth spurt!!!! I honestly think one of my boobs was out 75% of the day with the continuous feedings! You should download the Wonder Weeks app if you haven’t already. At first I was skeptical when my friend suggested it, but it has been very accurate for us. Plus, it does a great job of listing some of the new “skills” your baby is learning during each phase, which is always fun to keep an eye out for :)

Tina July 24, 2014 at 3:07 pm

I will! Thanks for telling me about it! :)

Tricia July 24, 2014 at 3:13 pm

@Tina: totally second Wonder Weeks!

Stephanie July 24, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Mine is 3 months old now and I feel you! I think there’s a new normal that I have to adjust to about every 5 days. haha!

On the plus side, I’m having a fun time watching the crossfit games on the internet while I’m nursing my little guy. The Master’s competitions are so inspiring to me!

Shel@PeachyPalate July 24, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Are you not tired? You seem to be coping with the early mornings so well! Well done on the crossfit front! :) And the random lunch look incredible!

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse July 24, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Baby Q is getting so big! I’m glad you guys are getting back into the new normal. It is definitely a huge change, but such a good one!

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run July 24, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Is Renola a bar or loose granola? Did you just break up the bar? :)

Tina July 24, 2014 at 4:49 pm

It’s loose granola! 😄

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries July 24, 2014 at 5:21 pm

I seriously cannot believe the resemblance between Q and Mal! Amazing! So glad you guys are feeling better and ready to venture out more. That’s awesome. I’m sure it’ll all go great. You may have some funny stories to tell and think back on, but that’s all part of it! :)

Julie @ Run Away Freckles July 24, 2014 at 8:09 pm

I love Q’s face in that picture! Sooo cute! What an adorable little guy.

Pam July 24, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Hi Tina – don’t forget how important sleep is to your health too!! Even if it is 5am when you are done doesn’t mean you can’t go back to bed if you need the rest (which it sounds like you or any new mom would need!) Also, I know you are focused on getting back to physical shape but mental health is important too and if you have a touch of ‘baby blues’ don’t be afraid to reach out for help. I’m sure you and Mal will adjust to a new normal soon and will be more confident getting out of the house! Good luck and take care of yourself. <3

Grace July 25, 2014 at 8:21 am

@Pam: This is SO true – sleep is absolutely needed if you work out on a regular basis. I was just reading an article about this recently – intense exercise while being sleep deprived not only results in much higher risks of injury, but it actually can cause negative and long lasting effects on your metabolism and hormone balances, damage your skeletal and muscular systems (the repair to your muscular tissue during strength training happens while you are asleep) and can lead to adrenal fatigue. Not worth it, in my opinion!

Livi @ Eat, Pray, Work It Out July 24, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Aw murphy is adjusting to his new brother. Only children have a hard adjustment haha

Erin July 24, 2014 at 9:05 pm

i remember those times :) Does Q like to be worn? I wore my son much of the day during those times in the Moby wrap so he could get his snuggles/comfort/security/etc and i could still get some things done dog walking/light cleaning and laundry/etc. He would nap on me in the moby or ergo for hours and if there are tons of benefits to babywearing. not sure if you have tried it, or if he likes it?! there may even be some baby wearing workout classes near you :)

Tina July 24, 2014 at 9:32 pm

We’ve tried the Ergo a few times and he seems to like it. It’s just been so hot here, the last thing we want to do is strap a baby to our bodies! Haha!

erin g July 25, 2014 at 8:19 am

@Tina: ah good point about the heat :) my “little guy” is now 23 lbs and still wants to be worn sometimes, even in the summer. soooo sweaty….

stacy July 24, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Is it weird to take randomn pictures of like your breakfast or a desk with a computer on it? Ive thought about starting a blog for my marathon training, but cant seem to get over the wtf factor of stopping mid meal to “document” each thing, suggestions to getting over the weirdness?

Tina July 25, 2014 at 5:19 am

Yes, I still think it’s kind of weird 6.5 years later! Haha! But it’s my job, so I try to remember why I am doing it and you should too, so it makes you a better runner and enhances your marathon training. Just don’t worry about what others think. Do you. And sometimes taking photos of your food is a great conversation starter! 😄

marci July 24, 2014 at 10:52 pm

so tell me about this bowl of gluten free grain free no gmo thing our talking about, it totally looks good!

Lisa @ Exercise eat repeat July 25, 2014 at 4:53 am

I think when you first have a baby everything is upside down and then ypu find a new normal that is better than the old.
    You are doing so well getting back into it all and should be really proud of yourself.
    Your food looks lovely as does the food at your friends.
    have a lovely weekend :)

Kristen July 25, 2014 at 7:06 am

The sleep and eating get easier, I promise. As for the growth spurts… even now we’ll go through a few days with an irritable HANGRY eight year old then somehow she’ll wake up her sunny self one morning but all her pants are too short.

Rebecca July 25, 2014 at 7:30 am

Q is so adorable in that photo!!

Kim @ FITsique July 25, 2014 at 8:11 am

You and Mal have transitioned into parenthood so easily! I hope one day I can have the same attitude! Besides your legs feeling weird do you notice any other changes working out after pregnancy?

Tina July 25, 2014 at 8:19 am

My mobility is really bad, but I didn’t do much during my pregnancy, so I’m not too surprised. Overall, my strength isn’t where it used to be, but everything else is pretty much back to normal. I’m surprised my cardio didn’t suffer too much!

Rita July 25, 2014 at 9:49 am

What kind of laptop do you use? I’ll be in the market for one again and I’m thinking of switching to a PC from my MacBook.

Tina July 25, 2014 at 10:20 am

It’s an HP, but it’s not great. My next laptop will be a Mac!

Alex @ Kenzie Life July 27, 2014 at 2:20 pm

I’m glad you and Mal are now able to get out a little more. Hopefully Q adjusts well! Sorry to hear that Murphy decided to go for your food!

Makenzie July 28, 2014 at 11:18 am

Your food from this day looked heavenly! We love a lot of the same type foods! The snack you had earlier in the day is almost exactly what I have been doing with my dinners lately: roasting sweet potatoes, zucchini, and squash!