• I Love Exercise So Much {Wednesday}

July 9, 2014

Hi, guys!

Here are my meals, snacks, and some happenings from today!

BREAKFAST

Toast with almond butter and banana slices, Fage with honey, cherries, and an iced coffee with chocolate almond milk – loved this breakfast!

SAMSUNG CSC

WORKOUT

After breakfast, I joined my friend Kerrie for a spinning class, which was (OMG) so fun and reminded me just how much I love exercise… like, so much. I really, truly love being active, and I am so happy that I’m slowly getting back into it. Working out is just so darn fun, and it always makes me feel good afterward. It actually makes me wonder why some people don’t like exercise?? Although, there was a point in my life when I saw it as a chore and something I had to do, but things have definitely changed over the years, especially since finding running, CrossFit, and spinning. Hey, it’s all about finding something you LOVE to do, right?

Anyway, spinning without an extra 30 pounds on my body (I still have about 10 pounds to lose) was a totally different experience and a whole lot more enjoyable. When I was pregnant, I felt like I’d lose steam after about 15 minutes, and I couldn’t really push myself when it came to adding resistance to the bike. Today, I felt awesome and dominated the hills in class! Oh my gosh, I had such a blast.

spinning_

After class, Kerrie and I swung by Everyday Cafe for a couple of iced coffees. I went with Coconut Cream. Mmm!

photo

LUNCH

When I got home, I made breakfast for lunch: scrambled eggs with bacon, roasted sweet potatoes, and ketchup.

SAMSUNG CSC

After breakfast, I fed Q and then planned to take Murphy to the vet for his bi-annual check-up. I didn’t have a ton of time between spinning/lunch/feeding Q, so I wasn’t going to shower until after I got home from Murphy’s appointment. (I know… I’m gross.) Well, when I was burping Q, he spit up down my tank top, like on the inside of it, right between my boobs. It was a direct shot and dripped all the way down to my bellybutton! Haha! After that, I definitely needed a shower.

Miraculously, Murphy and I made it to the vet right on time. Everything went well with his appointment. He got a couple of vaccinations and then he was good to go. And, as always, he made friends with everyone there. #pugmayor

Murphy_at_the_vet_

P.S. The bench he is sitting on in the photo above was super slippery, and he kept wiping out trying to get comfortable on it. Haha!

SNACK

Half of a bagel with Creamy Light Swiss from The Laughing Cow, strawberries, and an iced coffee with chocolate almond milk <— Please note: This was my third (decaf) iced coffee of the day. #icedcoffeeaddict

SAMSUNG CSC

DINNER

Big salad with chopped up Sweet Potato WedgesHoney-Roasted Carrots, leftover roasted chicken with bell peppers, onions, potatoes, and a big scoop of hummus on top

SAMSUNG CSC

DESSERT

After dinner, I enjoyed a few (hundred) handfuls of Sweet & Nutty Probiotic Trail Mix from my friends at CVS/pharmacy. They recently launched a new line of snacks called Gold Emblem Abound, which are free from all artificial flavors and preservatives. It was so good, I needed to give myself a little pep talk so I’d stop eating it! Haha!

SAMSUNG CSC

The end.

Ashley @ Saving Money in your Twenties July 9, 2014 at 9:12 pm

YUM. you’re making me want iced coffee right now! :)

erin g July 9, 2014 at 9:22 pm

oh the spit up showers….i remember those! good for you being on a spin bike so soon after giving birth, you rock! and i totally need to try that trail mix! CVS tomorrow for sure

Bezzymates July 9, 2014 at 9:30 pm

I don’t understand why people find physical activity a chore either. If you find something you love to do, it shouldn’t be that way. You are doing such a disservice to your quality if life and health if you are sedentary.

Katie @ happygokatie July 9, 2014 at 9:31 pm

You always have the best looking snacks. That bagel and Laughing Cow looks so good. And this makes me want to buy some pretty straws for my iced coffee! :)

Tina July 10, 2014 at 2:36 am

Fun straws are the best! 😄

Bezzymates July 9, 2014 at 9:32 pm

*of life….

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh July 9, 2014 at 9:36 pm

It all looks yummy and glad Murphy’s appt went well! Happy pug!

Avery July 9, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Props to you for getting to a class! I have an 8 week old myself, but i consider it a victory if we can get out of the house for a walk! Where is Q when you go to spin class? Do you pump and leave a bottle for him? I want to join a gym so badly but I just don’t know how often I could arrange for someone to watch the baby often enough to make it worthwhile, since she’s obviously too young for the gym daycare.

Tina July 10, 2014 at 2:35 am

Q is at home with dad with a bottle ready to go if he needs it. I just pump before I go! 😄

Tricia July 10, 2014 at 8:41 am

@Tina: I just asked the same thing. You’re so lucky! I could only pump an ounce combined :-(

Megan @ The Skinny-Life July 9, 2014 at 10:34 pm

I love love love spin! I’m nursing a calf strain right now and cannot wait to get back to it. I like all fitness, but this is one I really love.

Tori July 9, 2014 at 10:53 pm

How do you make your chocolate almond milk iced coffee?

Tina July 10, 2014 at 2:33 am

I just add chocolate almond milk to my iced coffee! 😉

Laura @FitMamaLove July 10, 2014 at 12:03 am

LOL, I was about to say something about those iced coffees being decaf, but then you did. :) I love coffee too and now that I’m down to breastfeeding my 19-month-old just once in the morning before coffee, I’m back into drinking mostly caffeinated. I just love the taste! How do you make yours at home? Just add iced or cold brew?

I gotta say, I’m super impressed with how well you are eating with a newborn. It’s great that you’re able to keep it healthy and eat well even with the craziness new little ones can bring.

Jenny July 10, 2014 at 2:03 am

Hey :) first time commenter, fellow mum (had my 3rd a few months ago). Congrats on the birth of Q! Your exercise/healthy lifestyle is very inspiring.
    I just wondered if you’re hungry a lot though? Your food diaries seem very meagre for a nursing mom.
    I’ve just finished reading this blog post and definitely found that my experience with hunger when nursing is much more similar to hers. (must..eat..all..the..food)
    : http://www.thelocalelite.com/2014/06/30/breastfeeding-and-pumping-while-racing-and-training/
    Anyway thought you might find it a good read too.

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves July 10, 2014 at 2:17 am

I’ve always loved the endorphins that I got AFTER exercising, but I’ve come to also love the feeling of movement DURING my workout too! It really is such a fun, liberating feeling.
    That looks like a perfect summer breakfast right there!

Michele @ paleorunningmomma July 10, 2014 at 6:01 am

Yum! Everything you ate looks good! I especially love all the sweet potatoes, I think they’re great in salads.

Brynn July 10, 2014 at 6:29 am

I am currently in the final stretch of my pregnancy and my energy is SO low. I miss my workouts and cannot wait to get back into spinning. Working out feels so darn good! But for now, I stick with low impact, low heart rate options. But your post is super inspiring. Sometimes I feel like I’ll never get back to it…now I know I just need patience.

Lisa July 10, 2014 at 7:50 am

My first child was a very bad spit-up-er (is that a word? lol) anyway it was a lot like projectile vomiting with many clothes changes for the both of us! lol fun times!

Shel@PeachyPalate July 10, 2014 at 8:10 am

Spinning is the best for getting the adrenaline pumping!!! Never fails!

Grace July 10, 2014 at 8:18 am

You know the reaction that guys have when they see someone get kicked hard in the crotch? That was my exact reaction reading that you when to a SPIN CLASS a few weeks after a labor that involved almost four hours of pushing! Holy CRAP, that sounds so painful I can’t even contemplate it. Did you not tear at all? Maybe it’s just me, because I had multiple 3rd degree tears (and I only pushed for 45 minutes!) but I was still sitting on an inflatable doughnut a few weeks after giving birth, and the thought of what sitting on a hard plastic spin seat for an hour would do to my internal and external stitches… Wow.

Tina July 10, 2014 at 8:29 am

I’m so sorry you had such a tough labor and delivery. That sounds terrible!!

Grace July 10, 2014 at 9:31 am

@Tina: I think you just got incredibly lucky, because from talking to my friends and family, my labor experience was really typical. Most women tear and get stitches, and are still bleeding until at least six weeks postpartum. One of my good friends has completed multiple Ironmans, and she wasn’t able to start exercising at any real level of intensity until 2 months postpartum, and that was after she an easy vaginal delivery with a simple 2nd degree tear. In fact, she said her delivery was way harder than an Ironman! I think you’re a really rare exception.

Tina July 10, 2014 at 9:50 am

I guess I’m really lucky then. Not sure if you read Q’s birth story, but my labor and delivery were really straight-forward. As we all know, every woman’s experience is different. It sounds like you and your friend had a very different experience than I did, which is why we should all talk to our doctors and listen to our bodies to make our own individual decisions. Not all women are the same and need 6 weeks to recover.

Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom July 10, 2014 at 9:23 am

@Grace: I’ve never had a baby, but I was wondering the same thing (as if it would hurt to sit on the bike). I was actually going to come to ask that question!

Susie B. July 10, 2014 at 8:36 am

Congratulations for getting back to exercise!! That’s so exciting :). As someone who is thinking about having kids (eek!), I was really surprised that you could spin so soon after giving birth (in a good way!). Was it uncomfortable? And were you able to participate like you used to, or did you feel out of shape? I’m only asking because I’m curious about recovery after birth since it seems like the scariest part of being pregnant/giving birth. Thanks for letting your readers ask you such personal questions!

Tina July 10, 2014 at 9:10 am

It wasn’t uncomfortable at all, and I actually felt better (fitness-wise) than I did when I was pregnant. It was awesome!

Side note: Running and CF stuff hasn’t been as easy. I definitely don’t feel as strong as I did at 41 weeks pregnant, but I’m taking it day-by-day. I know I’ll get back there soon enough!

Susie B. July 10, 2014 at 9:24 am

You definitely will! Thanks for the response :)@Tina:

Tricia July 10, 2014 at 8:39 am

I do not mean this in a judgmental way at all… But how are you able to be away from Q that long? Do you pump and Mal feeds him when you’re gone? I had such issues with this when I had a newborn. It’s so awesome that you can get away and do some stuff for yourself!

Katy July 10, 2014 at 8:43 am

does your milk/coffee separate when you add almond milk? For some reason mine does…

Tina July 10, 2014 at 9:07 am

It does a little bit, but it depends on the brand. Silk and Blue Diamond seem to separate less.

Jackie July 10, 2014 at 8:46 am

Loving these day in the life posts!

Sally July 10, 2014 at 8:47 am

I love spinning too! I also used to see working out as a chore, and always felt like it was something I had to get through. Now, I enjoy the process and look forward to my workouts :) Do you ever do BodyPump anymore?

Tina July 10, 2014 at 9:06 am

I don’t, and I miss it so much!!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats July 10, 2014 at 9:09 am

Your breakfast for lunch looks delicious! I haven’t had bacon in ages and now I’m craving some!

Kristen July 10, 2014 at 9:25 am

I LOVE your gross baby stories (that sounds horrible to say, but you know what I mean!). You have such a great sense of humor about all. No human babies for me yet, just furbabies. Not that they aren’t gross too. When my dog was a puppy she had diarrhea on my bare foot- it almost happened in slow motion. I’ve found it is SO much easier to deal with if you laugh about it rather than complain about it. Thanks for sharing!

Samantha @ The Faithful Runner July 10, 2014 at 9:46 am

I love spin, but my knee won’t take it sometimes. Glad everything went well with Murphy! :)

Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake July 10, 2014 at 9:49 am

I need to get some of that trail mix! Looks yummy!
    Loving the Q stories!

Hillary July 10, 2014 at 9:51 am

Are you still drinking decaf coffee for any reason? Or just loving that you don’t need caffeine after going so long without it?

I totally feel ya on the exercise front.. I used to view it as a chore but now i LOVE it. Funny how that can change when you find a certain class or sport!

Tina July 10, 2014 at 9:52 am

I’m breastfeeding! 😉

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse July 10, 2014 at 10:06 am

I need to take a spinning class! I never have!

Livi @ Eat, Pray, Work It Out July 10, 2014 at 10:08 am

That trail mix looks so so good!

Katie@LifesNextBigStep July 10, 2014 at 10:32 am

I’m seriously impressed that you did a spin class a month after having a baby. If my memory serves me right, I was still sore and the thought of the pressure of the bike seat – oh wow…no thank you. But GO you! and I read your response to the similar comment about, and you are right – every labor and delivery is completely different. I know women who’ve been ready to get back to it after 2 weeks, and some take up to two months or more depending on how their labors went. But anyway – kudos to you! I’m hoping #2 goes better than #1 (even thought #1 wasn’t bad at all) since I’ve been doing CrossFit!

Georgia-Mae July 10, 2014 at 10:38 am

I really love that you’re posting your meals again haha. I always like to know what people who are healthy are eating and it gives me inspiration for new meals and snacks!

Also, I’m right there with you on exercise. I have to force myself to take rest days while most people I know have to force themselves to go to the gym at all.

Tina July 10, 2014 at 10:44 am

Me too! Especially when it comes to CF. I’d go every day if I could!

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run July 10, 2014 at 11:17 am

Isn’t it so great to LOVE exercise? I, too, am always curious how people don’t enjoy exercising their bodies.

Stephanie @ My Freckled Life July 10, 2014 at 11:42 am

Yumm, that trail mix sounds delicious! And I’m right there with you – I’m such a decaf iced coffee addict. It’s kind of a problem!

Molly July 10, 2014 at 11:54 am

I used to be one of those people too who looked at workout like a chore and for years I did absolutely nothing. Now I can’t go a day without doing something active (it could possibly be some guilt, but…)

What ratio of coffee to chocolate almond milk do you use?

That mix looks delicious! I’m going to have to find a CVS.

Ilana July 10, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Were all of the coffees decaf? I have sn 8 week old and am finding the sleep dritivation makes me want a little caffeine in the mix.

Yael July 10, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Oh my gosh, I got a bag of that exact CVS trail mix this week (although there are so many good options- I almost got the one with the peanut butter cups instead) and may or may not have finished it in fewer than 24 hours. Oops! It’s just too good.

As for how people could hate exercise: I have a love/hate relationship with exercise; more like I used to hate it and now I mostly love it. I hated it because I was always so out of shape and uncoordinated. I never ever played sports as a kid (in addition to the above, I was also scared of balls) and was really overweight. I spent most of my free time reading and dreaded gym class because it was the one thing in school I was truly awful at.

Fast forward a lot of years, I started taking zumba at the gym and then fell in love with more active yoga classes. I even started running a tiny bit and ran a few 5ks (though I don’t think I have it in me to run more). Now I’m at the point where I love it so much that I feel weird if there isn’t enough exercise in my week, and I even just started a part time job at my yoga studio! But I still struggle with it sometimes. I make progress in my workouts very, very slowly and if I take even a week off coming back is SO hard. Sometimes when it’s that hard being in class (or going on my run) still feels so bad while I’m doing it that the good feelings that come with exercising and being strong and healthy don’t feel like they outweigh it enough. . . but I stick with it because I know how good it can feel.

I think when you’ve never been “into” exercise it’s hard to imagine that the pain and awkwardness/discomfort and self-consciousness and lack of sleep and having to plan it into your day can be wroth it. It’s just so hard to get over the initial hump! I just hope that learning to love it now in my mid-20s means I’ll be able to stick with that mindset forever.

Christa July 10, 2014 at 5:11 pm

I am in the iced coffee addict club with you; thank god someone else drinks as much coffee as I do! Everyone always tells me I’m nuts

Ellen Renee July 10, 2014 at 7:44 pm

I was hoping CVS would send you some of their new products…I noticed them in this weeks ad and immediately thought of your relationship to the company…wanted an opinion before I tried it. Will check to see what my store offers – thanks! PS>>>you made me crave an iced coffee! :o) Thankfully I have a batch cold brewing on the counter at home. Tomorrow morning for sure.

pam July 11, 2014 at 8:15 am

I am going to have to try chocolate almond milk in my coffee. Have you tried the coconut almond yet? I heard it was good. Do you use your Nespresso maker often? I’m thinking of maybe getting one so I am interested in feedback.