• What to Wear at the Gym When You’re Pregnant

June 19, 2014

What to Wear at the Gym When You're Pregnant (900x900)

I’ve received a lot of questions over the past several months about what I wore to work out, so I thought I’d write a post about the exercise gear that got me through my pregnancy. I ended up buying a few key pieces, but I really did my best not to spend too much money on workout clothes because I knew I would probably only wear them while I was pregnant. That said, here’s a summary of my favorite exercise gear from my pregnancy!

Extra-long tops that aren’t too low cut

I was all about the extra-long tanks and t-shirts that weren’t too low cut for my workouts. I didn’t want my belly or boobs hanging out when I was doing Wallballs or Box Jumps at CrossFit, so these were my go-to workout tops of choice. The Maternity Jersey-Stretch Tanks from Old Navy, in particular, were perfect for a growing baby bump and they weren’t too low-cut, so I didn’t have to worry about showing too much boob-age when I worked out. These tank tops were also super cheap (just $8-$12 depending on the color), so I bought a whole bunch of them for workouts. (I also wore them as non-workout clothes!) Another extra-long workout favorite was my New Balance Moto Pullover. It fit me right up until the end of my pregnancy!

Any top with side ruching

Side ruching flatters a growing baby bump both in and outside the gym! I really liked the Maternity Slub-Knit Tees from Old Navy for working out, and they fit me right up until the end of my pregnancy when my belly was massive!

Burnout fabrics

I loved lightweight, burnout fabrics for my workout gear during my pregnancy. It moved well and grew with me as my belly got larger and larger. Some of my favorite tops that I wore during all three trimesters of my pregnancy: Reebok Women’s Happy Burnout Tee, Reebok Women’s Burnout Vneck Tee, Reebok Women’s Yoga Tee, and Reebok Women’s Burnout Yoga Tank.

IMG_8134

Sports bras from Moving Comfort

The boob situation during my pregnancy was insane, so I had to buy all new sports bras and the only ones that fit me were from Moving Comfort. The style that I liked the best was the Maia Bra. I bought two of my Maia bras online and then found one at Marshalls for a fraction of the price.

Workout pants with wide waistbands

I actually never bought special maternity workout pants or capris. I just wore my regular workout pants throughout my entire pregnancy. The long tees and tanks worked well with them, and I didn’t need to spend money on new ones. However, I found that my workout pants with the widest waistbands were the most comfortable. My favorites were a pair of capris from Athleta and a pair of pants from Moving Comfort.

Moms and moms-to-be: What workout gear did/do you love for working out?

P.S. Early Bird registration is open for this year’s Healthy Living Summit!

Brynn June 19, 2014 at 7:34 am

At 25 weeks I’m loving long tanks and capris. I also have a boob situation going on so getting a few new sports bras was key!

Bri Bliss June 19, 2014 at 7:40 am

My go to when I was pregnant was the foldover waist yoga pants. The trick was not to roll them over, so the extra material covered my belly! It worked perfectly & saved me from having to buy maternity gear!

Tina June 19, 2014 at 8:07 am

I invested in a lululemon cool racerback tank and fit me until 42 weeks. I still wear it now as it really held its shape. Expensive but worth it!

Jaclyn @ BumpSweat June 19, 2014 at 8:15 am

I bought new sports bras very early on. I found I need a little padding in mine, but not to add any oomph, just to keep any nipple-protrusion at bay.

Linz @ Itz Linz June 19, 2014 at 8:21 am

comfortable pants/capris were super important to me and i liked tight fitting tops to show off my belly :) :)

Julie @ Coastal Runner Girl June 19, 2014 at 8:23 am

I’m 34 weeks pregnant and still wearing my normal workout shorts and yoga capris but I did have to buy a few new larger tank tops and sports bras. I just shopped at Marshalls/ TJ Maxx since I didn’t want to spend a ton of clothing I’d only wear a few times… plus, they have great workout gear! :)

lexa June 19, 2014 at 8:33 am

I bought two pair of maternity workout capris (gap and old navy) only because I had a coupon and they were on sale. Most of my tank tops were long to begin with so they fit too. I am almost 32 weeks and wearing a combo of both regular and maternity gear.

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun June 19, 2014 at 8:39 am

I’m not pregnant at this time, but I love reading posts like this that I can use when that day comes eventually!

Jillian June 19, 2014 at 9:11 am

I’m just about 28 weeks and needed to buy new sports bras (I went with the Moving Comfort Juno because… oh my god) and a few tops because all of my race shirts started feeling really short. A couple of my lululemon tops still work (the Run:Swiftly V-Neck and 105F Singlet, especially) and I picked up two workout tops from Gap that I’m LOVING. Otherwise, my running shorts and lulu tights are still hanging in there!

Britt@MyOwnBalance June 19, 2014 at 9:25 am

I’m finding that most of my workout clothes work just fine as maternity workout clothes. I especially love looser tops!

Livi June 19, 2014 at 9:38 am

Great tips! Definitely saving these for the future!

Heather @ eSmoothie Recipes June 19, 2014 at 9:39 am

I went to Marshalls and found these stretchy short sleeve Calvin Klein workout tops that were awesome! Workout clothes are pretty easy – just buy stretchy things in a bigger size than normal. The one “maternity” thing that I bought for working out was the nursing sports bras from Motherhood Maternity. I wore those before & after.

Heathers Looking Glass June 19, 2014 at 10:07 am

All of my regular workout pants have started cutting me at the hips so I can’t wear them and am struggling to find maternity shorts to workout in (way to hot here to wear pants!)

I agree on the old navy tanks!

Karen P June 19, 2014 at 10:23 am

Happy Birthday Tina!

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse June 19, 2014 at 10:30 am

I always made sure my bras had lots of support :) Great list!

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat June 19, 2014 at 10:39 am

Great post! As my belly continues to grow, I’m in desperate need of some new workout clothes. Mine are just not fitting comfortably anymore, so these are some really great tips on what to look for.

Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake June 19, 2014 at 10:42 am

Happy birthday, Tina! Have a fantastic day!

Megan @ The Skinny-Life June 19, 2014 at 11:08 am

Moving comfort sports bras are awesome even when you’re not pregnant!

Sarah F June 19, 2014 at 12:33 pm

I agree on the side ruching…. They’re really flattering and accommodating for the growing babe…. :)

Reenie June 19, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Happy Birthday Tina!! :)

Annette@FitnessPerks June 19, 2014 at 1:37 pm

You had some cute pregnancy/workout outfits going on!

I never had to buy maternity bottoms to work out in either, I was grateful b/c those things can be $$$! I did love longer tops that are flowy and had elastic on the bottom. Also, For Two Fitness tanks are great-so comfy & cute!

Sarah @ Sweet Miles June 19, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Those outfits were so cute! Everything really looked so flattering!

Stacy June 19, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Happy Birthday and congrats on your baby! (my b’day is tomorrow, fellow Gemini!)

Ali June 19, 2014 at 2:38 pm

I loved maternity yoga pants. They aren’t totally necessary, but they are super comfy. Side rouching shirts were amazing too!

Katherine Baker June 19, 2014 at 3:14 pm

you always manage to look adorable! and you were very inspirational with your workouts throughout pregnancy.

Megan June 19, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Tina, a huge congratulations to you and Mal :-) Q is just gorgeous and I love seeing the happiness beaming out of you.

How is Murphy adjusting to his little brother?

erin m. June 19, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Happy birthday! You have the same birthday as my sister, so it’s easy to remember!

Ellen Renee June 19, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Hope you have been enjoying your birthday Tina! Baby Q’s (in my head I always refer to him as QT – cutie) outfit is adorable. I kept a few of my “little guy’s” baby clothes that I just couldn’t part with. Of course he is now 19, in college and 6 ft 1 ….makes me feel short and I am 5 ft 9 ….and absolutely hates when I wander down memory lane! LOL

Alexa June 19, 2014 at 9:29 pm

I didn’t buy any workout pants for my first pregnancy either, and when I got back to my normal weight, and even near it, I realized how I had ruined them all by stretching my out to the max. They were saggy, and uncomfortable. I didn’t make that mistake this time, and am glad I bought a few pair of maternity workout pants.

Kristen @ Vitamin K Girl June 19, 2014 at 10:02 pm

I have a feeling that if I ever get pregnant I will have some workout boob issues as well, good thing I love Moving Comfort bras!

Suzanne June 20, 2014 at 7:04 am

I love Lulu and most of it stretched with me as I grew. I never needed to buy maternity workout wear. My Power Y tanks were especially forgiving of my belly and I was happy that they retained their shape post-preganacy!

Julia June 20, 2014 at 9:14 am

Currently 35 weeks pregnant and haven’t had to buy new workout pants either, although I’ve been carrying the baby really high which made this more possible. For workout shirts, I bought a few tanks from Costco which I absolutely love because they’re really long and lightweight. Have lasted me this entire pregnancy! I also love Gaps’ tanks. I wore them pre-pregnancy and found that they’re actually quite long and stretch really well!

Erin H June 20, 2014 at 10:05 am

I wore my regular shorts and capri tights right up through 9 months, but I had to buy a few long tanks around 7 months in, once the underside of my belly started poking out. I didn’t worry too much if the arm or neck openings were big since my sports bras offered plenty of coverage (I used all the ones that had been too big pre-pregnancy, thanks to ultramarathon training).