• Weekend Recap & Chia Seed Pudding Recipes

May 19, 2014

Hi, friends! Happy Monday to you!

How was your weekend? I had another low-key one. We hired a painter to cover up some wood trim and paint the new doors in our house, so I pretty much stayed close to home all weekend.

The painter spent most of Saturday and Sunday at our house, but he still has a few hours left of work, so he will finish up later this week. Even still, he’s making great progress. I love the white trim so much better!

white trim office  (675x900)

Mal was away at another bachelor party on Saturday night, so Murphy and I got stuff done around the house on Sunday morning, including a little spring cleaning. Check out his “dustache.” He walked up to me with it on his face. Haha! This dog is so ridiculous.

World IBD Day

Today is World Inflammatory Bowl Disease (IBD) Day! It’s a day when IBD patients, their supporters, and various IBD organizations around the world join together to raise visibility and awareness of IBD.

One of the most common confusions that I encounter again and again and receive lots of questions about is the difference between IBD and IBS. They are NOT the same thing. In fact, they are quite different, so I wanted to bring some attention to these disorders to clear up some of the confusion. Here are a few articles that explain the difference:

Health News & Views

Chia seeds are all the rage lately! And for good reason: They’re high in fiber, protein, and omega-3 fatty acids, plus they’re a great source of antioxidants. For such a tiny seed, they provide a whole host of health benefits.

You may already include chia seeds in your diet, but have you tried chia seed pudding? This thick and creamy pudding is so versatile, it can be customized to your taste preferences and eaten at almost any time of the day. Chia pudding makes for a super satisfying breakfast or snack as well as a tasty dessert, depending on what ingredients you choose to mix in.

Here are 5 seriously delicious recipes for chia seed pudding that you’ll definitely want to try!

5 Reasons to Try Chia Seed Pudding

How was your weekend?

Do you or someone you know struggle with IBD?

Have a delicious chia seed pudding recipe to share?

Ali May 19, 2014 at 8:42 am

Yummm chia seed pudding. I think I’m going to make this today.

Ali @ Peaches and Football May 19, 2014 at 8:46 am

I’ve yet to make chia pudding but I love tossing chia seeds into yogurt and baked goods. They are great in oatmeal cookies.

A fresh coat of paint does amazing things, don’t you think?:)

Tina May 19, 2014 at 8:57 am

Definitely! It’s crazy how much nicer our house looks with a new coat of white paint!

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat May 19, 2014 at 8:53 am

I love, love, love chia seed pudding! It’s so delicious and super simple to make!

Megan @ The Skinny-Life May 19, 2014 at 8:57 am

I do have a chia pudding recipe. You can find it here http://theskinny-life.com/greek-chia-breakfast-pudding/

Jaclyn @ BumpSweat May 19, 2014 at 9:00 am

We, I should say my husband, got a lot of painting done around our house this weekend, too. It just makes things look so refreshed!

Luv What You Do May 19, 2014 at 9:01 am

I think my cholesterol is soo good because I eat chia seeds all of the time! I have IBS and have always struggled when I run. Since I stopped drinking gaterade and added in Chia seeds, my stomach is the best it has ever been. Here is one of my fave breakfasts!

Allison O'Neill May 19, 2014 at 9:04 am

I have IBD! UC is not fun; however I did get a smile on my face as is read today’s post while I was eating chia pudding, great minds!

Vicky May 19, 2014 at 9:12 am

you can cook any of your favorite fruits/fruit combos in water on the stove for a few minutes, then stir in 1/4 chia seeds per serving, stir for a couple of minutes so it doesn’t get clumpy, then either chill for later or eat and enjoy! I like pear and blueberry or apple and raisins. I put cinnamon in both of them before they cook, and slivered almonds on top when I eat it.

Samantha @ The Faithful Runner May 19, 2014 at 9:14 am

I had a great weekend. I love chia seed bars (made like granola bars). Have a great week!

Kaelene@Unlocking Kiki May 19, 2014 at 9:29 am

I love chai seed pudding it is such a great quick breakfast for the work week. I need to try your almond joy recipe sounds so good!

Christina (Sisters Running the kitchen) May 19, 2014 at 9:34 am

giada makes a chia seed breakfast pudding this is really good buti want to try that almond joy one! hey you need all the relaxing weekends you can get before the baby!

my weekend was nice- i went down the shore with my parents. it was really relaxing :) did some nice runs by the water

Livi May 19, 2014 at 9:34 am

I love chia pudding! My favorite right now is 2T chia seeds, 1/4 cup pumpkin, 1/2 cup almond milk, and cinnamon!

Stacey @ Binge Free Me May 19, 2014 at 9:35 am

Your chia seed pudding looks delicious!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun May 19, 2014 at 9:37 am

I keep telling myself that I need to try a chia seed pudding – seriously it is going to happen THIS WEEK!

Emily @ Fit as a Mother... May 19, 2014 at 9:39 am

Busy weekend in my house with kids’ activities! These chia puddings look delish! I usually make overnight oats in the fridge with 1/2 cup old fashioned oats, 2 tbs chia seeds, 1/2 sliced banana, 1 tbs raisins, 1/2 sliced banana, 1 tbs maple syrup, cinnamon, and 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk. YUM! So filling too.

Laura May 19, 2014 at 9:46 am

I’ve yet to try a chia seed pudding, but I do have an IBD! Neat that we get a day to recognize it– though it’s not as glamorous as other holidays haha! I have Crohn’s disease & I’ve always appreciate your honesty about your condition. Can’t wait to see baby H! :)

Shel@PeachyPalate May 19, 2014 at 10:01 am

My aunt has IBD. She unfortunately fails to recognise how dietary and lifestyle changes would help…continuing to smoke and eat her trigger foods. Such a hard one but I really nutritional therapy can make a substantial difference!

Tina May 19, 2014 at 10:17 am

Some research shows that smoking can actually help IBD symptoms, but it’s not something I’m willing to take up anytime soon. But, I agree, dietary and lifestyle changes can definitely help make a difference!

Michele @ paleorunningmomma May 19, 2014 at 10:03 am

Everyone’s chia puddings always look delish but I have yet to try. Maybe it will be this one this week? A friend and her daughter both suffer from IBD (ulcerative colitis) and it is really a constant battle, I also have a family member with severe chrohn’s. I myself have struggled with IBS and they are definitely 2 completely different ballgames, although with some overlapping symptoms which i suppose adds to the confusion. Thanks for posting info, there are so many people dealing with these problems.

Sarah @ Sweet Miles May 19, 2014 at 10:04 am

I had no idea that IBD and IBS were different. Thank you explaining and sharing those articles!

rosey May 19, 2014 at 10:37 am

Love chia pudding! I made Oh She Glows chia jam, chia pudding, and granola clusters! Im going to make a parfait with those 3 things :) All from her new cookbook. And BTW I tried that cheese sauce/ broccoli wrap in the book too and it was AMAZING! Lastly, I watched a documentary last night called “Super Juice Me”. I thought of you bc one of the pts had UC. They recommended cabbage juice for this. Not sure if you have tried or heard about this? I think it was purple/red cabbage based on the color of his juice :)

Linz @ Itz Linz May 19, 2014 at 10:39 am

i made chia jam this morning to top my pancake! http://itzlinz.com/2012/01/10/jammin-3/

Tina May 19, 2014 at 10:44 am

Me too! It’s so good! :)

Ashley @ A Lady Goes West May 19, 2014 at 11:01 am

I had an awesome weekend, complete with joining the San Francisco fun of Bay to Breakers.

I’ve never tried a chia pudding, but I do put chia seeds in my overnight oats on the regular.

Ashley @ Saving Money in your Twenties May 19, 2014 at 11:19 am

Your house looks so different with the white trim- love it! Also, your office is so cute. I love the poster on the wall- holstee manifesto, right?

Tina May 19, 2014 at 11:35 am

Yep! :)

Alex @ Kenzie Life May 19, 2014 at 11:28 am

The dustache is hilarious. Pugs have so much personality! Whenever I take mine for a long walk and he gets tired, he just “frogs out” in the grass and refuses to move until we pick him up–or he sees a car and then his Napoleon complex kicks in and he wants to fight/chase it.

Tina May 19, 2014 at 11:35 am

Murphy does that too! We call it “lawn surfing!” Haha!

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape May 19, 2014 at 12:00 pm

I am loving the chia pudding – I made your pumpkin chia pudding but used bananas instead and cinnamon as the spice (all other ingredients the same) – oh it was divine!!!

Katie May 19, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Tina, I know you are SUPER busy and baby is due very soon, but I wanted to see if there was any way you could help promote my “Glow Retreat” that is taking place in Cape Cod, MA. If you can, please email me at healthydivaeats@hotmail.com .

Really means so much if you could help promote in any way! http://www.glowretreat.net Thank you!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 19, 2014 at 12:17 pm

HA! That dog is ridiculous!!

Ursula May 19, 2014 at 12:32 pm

I love the dustache! So cute

jen May 19, 2014 at 12:56 pm

when I tell people I have crohn’s they just think I go to the bathroom a lot but it effects so much more like your joints for one. I’m glad there’s more research and more awareness then there was years ago. I need to try that chia pudding, I just got some hemp seeds so I’m excited to try them out!

Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork May 19, 2014 at 1:46 pm

We had a fun Boston-filled weekend (technically, Brookline). We went to the Larz Anderson Auto Museum and Park. Such a neat place and the view of Boston from the park is beautiful! Then we headed to Matt Murphy’s in Brookline Village for some drinks and appetizers (amazing cheese plate!). We had time to kill before our next stop, just a few doors down from Matt Murphy’s, opened for dinner. It’s a Venezuelan restaurant called Orinoco and I’ve been here so many times because the food is amazing and the sandwiches (arepas) are naturally gluten-free because they’re made with cornmeal!
    I don’t suffer from any type of IBD, but can sympathize a bit give the issues I’ve had courtesy of gluten intolerance. Thankfully, once I elimiated gluten, most of my issues went away. We do have a friend with Crohn’s who seems to manage rather well. I wouldn’t wish any kind of IBD on anyone! Hope you continue to find things that work for you to help. Have you tried acupuncture? Not that I think it would necessarily “cure” you, but I’ve had some great results with it.

Tina May 19, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Yep, I did acupuncture for a few months last year. It didn’t do anything for my IBD symptoms, but it was really relaxing! 😄

Cassie May 19, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Were you nervous to have Mal gone so close to your due date?

Tina May 19, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Nah, I still have a little while until my due date and he was only a couple of hours away.

Michele May 19, 2014 at 8:01 pm

I just bought some chia seeds and can’t wait to experiment with them. I saw your article with the pudding recipes on Health through a Facebook posting, since I “follow” Health on FB! I thought they looked familiar!

Andrea May 19, 2014 at 9:59 pm

I was diagnosed with UC about 8 years ago. Great to raise awareness about IBD and educate people!

Jess May 20, 2014 at 6:40 pm

I love chia pudding! I keep meaning to make it as an after-work snack.
    Have you read “The Inside Tract” by Dr. Gerard Mullin and dietitian Kathie Swift? I bought it after seeing her give a talk at this year’s Integrative Healthcare Symposium, and it’s become one of my favorite resources for info on GI health.

ginger with medication January 31, 2015 at 8:15 am

Truly when someone doesn’t know then its up to other people that they
    will help, so here it occurs.