• My Favorite Podcasts

May 22, 2014

Hi, friends! Good morning and happy Thursday! I hope your day is off to a wonderful start!

tumblr_lv54sgHQRk1qf70r5o1_500

Breakfast

Remember this recipe for Paleo “Oatmeal”? You’ve probably seen it on CNC, right? Anyway, it’s a fabulous recipe (delicious, nutritious, satisfying), but every time I make it, I end up scrubbing the pan that I cook it in forever. Coconut oil works pretty well to prevent sticking, but I still spend more time on clean up than I want to.

Paleo Oatmeal

Soooo… I tried making this Paleo “Oatmeal” in the microwave, and it worked! Yay! Just combine all of the ingredients in a microwave-safe dish with a lid like the one below and nuke for 4 minutes in the microwave. Easy as that! The mixture puffs up like crazy (it actually gets huge, which is why you need a lid) and then deflates, so it’s not as fluffy as the original recipe, but it’s still really good and the clean up is a million times easier. Plus, you have a healthy breakfast that takes you about 5-6 minutes to make!

Yesterday’s breakfast also included a warm, gooey, and oh so delicious croissant that I shared with Mal. It was heavenly. My husband always has the best ideas.

oh_la_la_yum_

Lunch

I was out and about running errands yesterday afternoon, so I swung by Whole Foods for lunch from the salad bar as well as some other groceries. I seriously can’t get enough of the salad bar lately. It’s easily my favorite meal right now.

While eating lunch, a very special surprise arrived at my house: MY NEW BOOK! It looks great (it is sooooo colorful inside!), and I can’t wait for it to come out this summer! Just flipping through it yesterday made me want to whip up a smoothie! FYI: You can pre-order it on Amazon now!

The_PVT_smoothies_and_juice_recipes_

Snack

A little while later, I made myself a snack, which was Light Creamy Swiss from The Laughing Cow spread on top of a piece of toast with Blueberry Chia Seed Jelly. I also can’t get enough of this snack lately—sweet and creamy! Mmm!

Since I’ve been taking Murphy for so many pug+podcast walks lately, a lot of you guys have asked me about my favorite podcasts, so I thought I would share!

• Balanced Bites
    • Revolution Health Radio
    • The Paleo View
    • SCD Lifestyle
    • The Fat-Burning Man Show
    • Bulletproof Radio
    • Dr. Lo Radio Show
    • NPR Science Friday
    • NPR Car Talk
    • NPR Wait Wait… Don’t Tell Me

What are your favorite podcasts?

P.S. Nikki’s Coconut Butter is having an awesome sale right now! Enter code ‘summer’ at checkout to get 18% off your entire order. This tasty deal is only good until Friday!

Cherie May 22, 2014 at 8:52 am

Thank you so much for this post! I’ve been really interested in getting into podcasts when I take my daily walk, but I get so overwhelmed by all of the “health” options that I give up searching for the ones I want to subscribe to. Thank you for the narrow down of the good stuff.

Heather @fitncookies May 22, 2014 at 8:54 am

I love the cover of your book! I can only imagine how fantastic it is on the inside. The bright colors totally suck me in! :) Can’t wait to read it!

Molly @Mollysmusingz May 22, 2014 at 9:05 am

Genius on the microwave! I am going to give it a shot this week!

Jean May 22, 2014 at 9:20 am

Thanks for the list of podcasts. I also like Ted Radio Hour and Pop Culture Happy Hour from NPR. I’m going to check out some of the health ones you listed.

Julie @ Coastal Runner Girl May 22, 2014 at 9:26 am

I keep meaning to get into podcasts! Thanks for the suggestions!! :)

Nicole May 22, 2014 at 9:37 am

The Moth is my favorite podcast. Relaxation Meditation is a close second!

Cassy @ On The Inside May 22, 2014 at 9:37 am

Love all of those podcasts too plus Primal Blueprint! If you’re into zombies at all (I’m obsessed!), try listening to “We’re Alive”. It’s kind of like a television show just in podcast form!

Chelsea@BigBitesLittleBudget May 22, 2014 at 9:41 am

Oh! I love Wait Wait…Don’t Tell Me and Balanced Bites. Highly recommended!

Hilary May 22, 2014 at 9:42 am

Thanks for sharing your paleo oatmeal :) I have been wanting to try paleo oatmeal out for awhile and this might just have to happen tomorrow !

Abi@AbsofSteel May 22, 2014 at 9:43 am

The Jillian Michaels Podcast is one of my old favorites but I’ve recently been addicted to the Barbell Shrugged Podcast for the last couple of months. I enjoy pretty much any podcast related to fitness. I love going on daily podcast walks!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats May 22, 2014 at 9:44 am

I got back from a trip to Europe this weekend and didn’t have a chance to meal plan or really grocery shop, so the Whole Foods salad bar has been my go-to lunch all week! Even better – I get in a two mile walk during my lunch hour to go get it!

Livi May 22, 2014 at 10:00 am

I love Balanced Bites! Cant wait to check some of these others out!

Lily@findingmyhappymedium May 22, 2014 at 10:20 am

I love balanced bites, the Paleo View and the Moth. When I listen to balanced bites and the paleo view I feel like I’m with friends. Ha!

Laura May 22, 2014 at 10:21 am

Man, my last month of pregnancy, I was OBSESSED with the salad bar and I don’t know why!! I’m not a huge salad person, but I just could not get enough of it. Cravings are so strange.

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries May 22, 2014 at 10:34 am

Ohhh my gosh, that croissant is to die for! It looks amazing! I just tried blueberry chia jam yesterday for the first time, and it’s totally my new thing. I loved it and it’s so simple!

Michele @ paleorunningmomma May 22, 2014 at 10:36 am

Oh god i need to try that oatmeal!!
    Those are all great podcasts, I also really love Robb Wolf The Paleo Solution and Primal Blueprint (Mark Sisson). Podcasts have seriously changed my life!

Megan @ TheSkinny-Life May 22, 2014 at 10:38 am

I just got into listening to podcasts these last few weeks. Ahtlete on Fire was one I listened to yesterday on the way home from work. Thanks for the suggestions! I need them.

Cat May 22, 2014 at 10:42 am

I love all those podcasts too! I hadn’t heard of the NPR ones though, will give them a check since we’re so on the podcast level ;) I also love Evan Brand’s Not Just Paleo.

I also used to make that n-oatmeal all the time – I haven’t in a while though, but I reckon your addition of nuts would tempt me back again!

Jackie May 22, 2014 at 10:50 am

Can’t wait to try the new twist on oatmeal!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun May 22, 2014 at 10:59 am

That jam looks amazing – I will be trying that soon!

Jolynn May 22, 2014 at 11:13 am

Yay for the new book!! Could you post a pic of the inside to show us a sneak peek?

Tina May 22, 2014 at 11:15 am

There’s one on the publisher’s FB page! :) https://www.facebook.com/CiderMillPress

Jolynn May 22, 2014 at 12:02 pm

@Tina: Thank you!

Gillian May 22, 2014 at 11:28 am

This American Life – I listen religiously! I love Wait Wait Don’t Tell me as well.

Brynn May 22, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Jillian Michaels has an awesome podcast that I love to listen to on walks. Congrats in the book, too!!

Shelly May 22, 2014 at 12:11 pm

I love The Adam Carolla Show, The Adam & Drew Show, Nutritionally Speaking, and Jillian Michaels Show. Recently I also discovered The Wellness Wonderland Radio and Mind Body Business. I love listening to podcasts during long commutes.

Grace @ Grace Dishes May 22, 2014 at 12:23 pm

The cover of that book is so eye-catching! Love it.

Blueberry chia seed jelly sounds heavenly. I was planning on going berry picking this weekend and I HAVE CHIA SEEDS! Totally inspired.

Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats May 22, 2014 at 12:31 pm

I love that podcast list! I listen to a lot of those too, and I also really like NPR’s TED Radio Hour, NPR’s This American Life, High Impact Blogging, and the Jillian Michaels Show!

Annette@FitnessPerks May 22, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Fun cover on your book!

I listen to Jillian Michaels podcast– some great tips!

Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit May 22, 2014 at 12:51 pm

I always wonder what you listen to when you mention podcasts – I need to check these out for sure – I do a lot of driving back and forth to see my boyfriend two hours away, so these would be great!

Renae @ MissFit Mixed Chick May 22, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Congrats on your book! The cover looks incredible. I can’t wait to see what’s in the inside.

Jen May 22, 2014 at 1:50 pm

So i’m really into these podcuasts..but how do you access them? I’ve never listended to one before…thanks!

Tina May 22, 2014 at 1:57 pm

I use the Stitcher app on my phone. It’s awesome and it recommends new podcasts to you based on the ones you listen to! :)

Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork May 22, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Congrats on getting your book in. Must be so exciting to have it in the flesh, so to say!
    I love listening to podcasts during my runs. I find it helps me stay at a good pace, whereas music can make me run too fast (I realize I should tailor playlists according to pace, but I honestly don’t have time for this!). Some of my favorite podcasts are:
    Jiillian Michaels
    Not Just Paleo
    Freakonomics
    Stuff You Should Know

Marisa May 22, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Just wanted to mention that your book is available for pre-order on BN.com as well!

Tina May 22, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Nice! :)

Laura E. May 22, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Hi Tina! Your WF salads always look so delicious. I was wondering if you put any dressing on it? I love salad bars with a bunch of delicious veggie options but then I always want a little dressing and I don’t want to completely ruin my healthy meal with too much added calories or fat. Thank you!

Tina May 22, 2014 at 3:47 pm

I rarely ever use salad dressing. All of the different ingredients are enough flavor! Although, sometimes I’ll do a little balsamic vinegar if I’m in the mood! 😄

Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment May 22, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Good round up! I really like Fat Burning Man.

Kimberly May 22, 2014 at 4:01 pm

You should try out the Girls Gone WOD podcast. They are hilarious.

Tina May 22, 2014 at 4:08 pm

I will! Thanks for the suggestion! 😄

tina.marie May 22, 2014 at 4:48 pm

I started listening to podcasts after I had my first son and needed something to do while pumping 3x @ work and then I found that listening to This American Life helpful to keep me awake during my second son’s nighttime feeds! Now I listen to them when doing housework and the nightly dishes. My top two are “Manic Mommies” and “Comedy Bang! Bang!” Both have been on for awhile so I would download past episodes to keep me entertained the first few years with the babies!

Theresa May 22, 2014 at 5:50 pm

You might like NPR “Driveway Movements” it’s a compilation of stories on CD (I’m sure you could find it on itunes or as a pod-cast too). I’ve been buying them for my parents over the years and they love them! There are some really amazing stories. The driveway moments name comes from those times you’re listening to a story on NPR while driving home, and you sit in the driveway to finish the story because it’s so good :)

Lynn @ The Actor’s Diet May 22, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Your book! Amazing!
    Podcasts I love – Down and Dirty Kitchen, The JV Club (on Nerdist), Mental Illness Happy Hour, and I have one too now!

Theodora May 23, 2014 at 4:31 pm
    Danielle May 24, 2014 at 9:46 am

Perfect timing! I’ve been looking for podcasts to listen to while walking/running.

Purelytwins May 24, 2014 at 4:25 pm

some of our favorite podcasts too!!

and this breakfast looks perfect, we have to try it. How did we miss this before? :)

Ashley May 26, 2014 at 4:22 am

Thank you for sharing your favorite podcast with us. I have downloaded a few of them and started listening to them. I love to walk and listen to podcast too!

Ashley

Jen May 27, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Check out NPR Planet Money! Great Stuff!