• First Basement Workout

May 1, 2014

Thank you for all of your nice comments on my previous post about our new home gym! I’m so excited about it and can’t wait to share my experience as well as the workouts I do there! That said, here’s my first basement workout and, boy, it was a good one! It ended up being a lot harder than it looks!

First_Basement_Workout_

The exercises, equipment, and weights that I used:

IMG_8852

We’re getting a wall timer from Again Faster Equipment soon, but, in the meantime, we’re using a cool app called WODBOX Pro, which gives you three CrossFit timer options (AMRAP, TABATA, or “for-time”), for our workouts. It’s super easy to use and works great on a tablet, so you can easily keep track of the time.

The movements (video demonstrations are linked above) with “Tina Planet” in action:

Ball Slams

Kettlebell Deadlifts

Russian Kettlebell Swings

Shoulder Press

As I previously mentioned, this workout was a lot harder than I expected it to be. The Ball Slams and Russian Kettlebell Swings got my heart rate soaring, and the Kettlebell Deadlifts and Shoulder Presses seriously challenged my muscles. I definitely felt the burn!

I really liked this WOD because it was a total body workout, but short and sweet at the same time. Even though it was only 15 minutes, I felt like I still got a good workout because I accomplished so much in a short amount of time. I finished 4 rounds, so 60 reps of each exercise, in 15 minutes. Well, technically, I did 3 rounds + 58 reps, but I was so close to finishing the last set of Shoulder Presses, I just did the last two after the timer buzzed.

So, there’s the first of many workouts in our home gym! I hope you guys are as excited as me about this new feature on CNC! I’m a poet, and I don’t even know it! Ok, I’m done.

Rhiannon @ Bound to be a Buckeye May 1, 2014 at 8:21 am

Thank you, thank you! I hope this will continue to be a series since we have a little home gym in the basement too. We’re always looking for modifications since the basement limits us somewhat :)

Jaclyn @ BumpSweat May 1, 2014 at 8:39 am

Great workout! I’m so excited you’ve been able to continue working out your entire pregnancy. Gives me hope I can still be busting out workouts when the end rolls around :)

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats May 1, 2014 at 8:41 am

oh I love the idea of a wall clock – it reminds me of playing sports when I was younger! It’s so much more motivating when you’re watching those last minutes go and trying to get in as much as possible!

Jackie May 1, 2014 at 9:05 am

Love the home gym! I want one! :-)

Lisa May 1, 2014 at 9:05 am

I am so pumped for these posts!! I LOVE the videos you added too! Does Again Faster run specials and sales or anything?

Tina May 1, 2014 at 11:31 am

I actually just got an email about saving 10% on Competition Bumper Plates this morning. Definitely sign up for their email list. They’re having sales all the time! I’ll also ask for a special CNC discount! :)

Lisa May 1, 2014 at 12:24 pm

@Tina: Yay! Thanks I’ll def sign up!

Ashley @ Saving Money in your Twenties May 1, 2014 at 9:13 am

That is the cutest little gym! Such a good setup :)

Becky@TheSavedRunner May 1, 2014 at 9:20 am

This workout looks fantastic!! I definitely plan on giving it a try!

Brynn May 1, 2014 at 9:24 am

Love that you have a home gym. I hope to get a treadmill before I have my baby in September so I can stay active. How exciting!

Ashley May 1, 2014 at 9:41 am

I am so excited to see these, I used to crossfit and it just got to hard with expense and with work, I had a hard time finding a class time that worked for me, While I miss it terribly I have the same issue of a small basement and just seeing what you guys can already do I am excited to start buying things for my gym and get WODding :)

Thanks for the extra push!!

Ursula May 1, 2014 at 9:43 am

I’ve never been good a home gym workouts but it’s a great way to have no excuses for the gym!

Cori @ She's Going the Distance May 1, 2014 at 9:47 am

I love seeing you workout, you look fantastic!! I’m jealous of an at home gym..one day!

Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake May 1, 2014 at 10:04 am

Looks like a fantastic workout! Great job! Definitely want to try it

Padma May 1, 2014 at 10:11 am

so I know this isn’t a pug related post, but I thought you and Murphy might appreciate this. http://m.wimp.com/emotionalreaction/

amber May 1, 2014 at 10:25 am

I’ve never actually done crossfit but I started doing at home workouts AMRAP for 20 minutes about a month ago (I never knew about that until your blog!) and I notice a difference in toning AND weight loss! When my son is a older (4 months now) and I can be away for a little longer, I’m going to give CrossFit a try.

Megan @ The Skinny-Life May 1, 2014 at 10:43 am

Very cool! I’ve always wondered if I had a hone gym if u would actually use it. I really enjoy going to the gym and working out with my friends too. Or if I did have a home gym I might use it all the time. I’m kind of a woman of extremes!

Livi May 1, 2014 at 10:45 am

You are so awesome!! Pregnant and working out harder than most people ever do!

Linz @ Itz Linz May 1, 2014 at 10:50 am

great job! i’m so impressed (though not surprised!) with how active you are staying! that will help make your delivery a breeze!!

Chris May 1, 2014 at 10:51 am

That definitely cuts down on the time it takes to get to the gym! The only thing though, I don’t see tons of chalk all over your basement yet… I guess you’re still breaking it in. Haha!

Ashley @ A Lady Goes West May 1, 2014 at 11:03 am

Do you count out loud to keep track of reps? That seems like it would be my biggest challenge to keep track. Looks like a great workout. Love the pregnancy action shots.

Tina May 1, 2014 at 11:04 am

I just keep track in my head! :) If there’s a lot of reps, I’ll use the whiteboard.

Jen K May 1, 2014 at 11:05 am

awesome workout…I love how you have your race metals hanging. Did you buy that or make it; If you bought it, do you remember where?

Tina May 1, 2014 at 11:11 am

I bought it. Here’s the post about it: http://carrotsncake.com/2011/08/running-medals.html There are lots of cute options to choose from!

Annette@FitnessPerks May 1, 2014 at 11:21 am

Sweet workout! Way to get a fab workout in whilst pregnant! you’re inspiring :)

Lily May 1, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Tina! I love your home gym and you look amazing! I am so jealous of you because I am now on bed rest for the next few weeks and could only dream of moving around like that!

I can’t wait to see how use it after baby and I’ll get to be working out then too:)

Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork May 1, 2014 at 12:27 pm

That’s great! Did you make up the workout on your own (inspiration from your certification) or did you use a previous favorite WOD from your box? Gotta love efficient workouts!

Tina May 1, 2014 at 12:39 pm

I made it up! :)

Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork May 1, 2014 at 3:44 pm

@Tina: Nice job! Great workout!

Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit May 1, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Yay, yay, yay!!! Keep them coming!

Elizabeth {Positively Healthy} May 1, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Love the workout! Loving reading about your home gym as well!

Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats May 1, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Haha love the rhyme at the end ;) Sounds like a great workout! I can’t wait to see what other combinations you come up with!

Polly @ Tasty Food Project May 1, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Thanks for sharing the kettlebell workout! I don’t have a home gym but I can do the workout in my living room. I find kettlebell exercises to be so effective!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun May 1, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Wow you look awesome doing these workouts at 34 weeks! You are for sure an inspiration!

Tina May 1, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Aww, thanks! ❤️

kristen @ livinifeinlouie May 1, 2014 at 9:54 pm

I love these at home workouts! I used to only be able to go to the gym to get motivated, but I just started T25, so we will see if I can keep up the motivation!

http://www.betterhealthtips.org May 2, 2014 at 4:35 am

Oh my, working out that intense at 34 weeks. I definitely salute you. But don’t tire yourself too much and always remember to rehydrate. Your basement gym looks really fun and cozy. Looks like you had a nice workout! Great post!

Angelina Sophora May 2, 2014 at 4:36 am

Sarah May 2, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Hi there!
    I’ve been following your blog for a few months now, and enjoy your posts! I have a question and since I’m relatively new to your blog I don’t know if you’ve addressed it, but when I searched for it I didn’t see anything. I’m wondering about the whole working out while pregnant thing – I think it’s a great idea but I’ve also never been pregnant. And I’ve also read that you have to be really careful about it. What have you found in your experience so far, or even from the advice from your physician if you’re willing to disclose it? I figured since you seem to be all about doing things the healthy way, you may have an interesting and knowledgable view on the matter.
    Thanks!
    Sarah

Tina May 2, 2014 at 5:17 pm

When it comes to working out, my doctor said anything and everything that I did before I got pregnant is fine to do while I am pregnant as long as it doesn’t feel uncomfortable, so I’ve been trucking along with my workouts based on her advice! 😄

Sarah May 6, 2014 at 10:31 am

@Tina: That’s awesome to hear, and thanks for the reply! :)