• Blueberry Chia Seed Jelly

May 20, 2014

Good morning! Here is a fabulous recipe to start your day off on the right foot!

Blueberry Chia Seed Jelly

Blueberry Chia Seed Jelly? Oh, yes. It’s the perfect addition to a pancake, piece of toast or stirred into oatmeal or yogurt.

The chia seeds make the blueberries in this recipe all gooey and delicious just like jelly, but the mixture is a lot more nutritious, thanks to theĀ fiber, protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and extra antioxidants fromĀ the chia seeds. It’s basically a healthier version of fruit jelly that you can make at home in a matter of minutes. I hope you guys decide to try it out!

FYI: This recipe would definitely work with other types of berries and fruit, so feel free to experiment!

yum!

Ingredients:

• 2 cups blueberries (I used frozen, but fresh would work too)
    • 2 tsp chia seeds
    • 2 tsp honey

Directions:

1. Combine above ingredients in a saucepan on the stove top over medium heat.
    2. Heat and stir blueberries until they start to become soft and gooey and the mixture starts to thicken, approximately 5-7 minutes.
    3. Pour mixture into a container with a lid. Place in refrigerator and allow it to cool and become even more gelatinous.

Makes 4-6 servings

blueberry_chia_seed_pudding_directions

Stacey May 20, 2014 at 6:44 am

This looks amazing–will definitely have to go on my to do list for this weekend :)

Cara's Healthy Cravings May 20, 2014 at 6:59 am

I’ve been wanting to do this for so long!
    Perfect for the upcoming strawberry season.

Livi May 20, 2014 at 7:04 am

Yum!! We never finish all the blueberries in my house- this is the perfect recipe for them!

Laura May 20, 2014 at 7:11 am

What a fabulous idea! This looks so good. Definitely can’t wait to experiment with all the different berries and fruits the summer brings!

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine May 20, 2014 at 7:17 am

O yum! This is totally perfect for pancakes or swirled in hot cereals!

Nikki @ grab your kicks May 20, 2014 at 7:36 am

This looks amazing! So simple and delicious. I love recipes that are easy and all ingredients are on hand!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun May 20, 2014 at 7:43 am

This is PERFECT!! I am bookmarking this and will be using it this summer. A great, fresh, and easy recipe for summer!

Stacey @ Binge Free Me May 20, 2014 at 7:44 am

What a great idea! Cannot wait to try it!

Linz @ Itz Linz May 20, 2014 at 8:00 am

love this :) it can also be made in the microwave for a quick version!

Christine May 20, 2014 at 8:24 am

This would be amazing over vanilla ice cream!

mary @ minutes per mile May 20, 2014 at 10:01 am

@Christine: my thought exactly!

Natalie @ The Ravenous Mommy May 20, 2014 at 8:24 am

Awesome idea! Making this today :)

Ali @ Peaches and Football May 20, 2014 at 8:38 am

Hurray! I’ve been looking for an easy substitute for maple syrup on my pancakes. This looks absolutely fantastic! I bet you could swap the honey for stevia and make it a tasty sugar-free option too.

Shel@PeachyPalate May 20, 2014 at 9:13 am

LOVE chia seed jam!! Raspberry always looks the best as the chia seed just like the raspberry seeds!

Katy May 20, 2014 at 9:16 am

I’m going to try it pulsed in the VitaMix I like a smooth jelly!

Annie Atherton May 20, 2014 at 9:25 am

LOVE this idea!!! I am going to experiment with when berries go on sale!

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat May 20, 2014 at 9:35 am

Now this sounds absolutely amazing, Tina! I love, love, love jelly, but I’m not a fan of buying the store bought kind because of all the added ingredients and sugar, so this sounds perfect. I’m SO excited to try this out!

Jaclyn @ BumpSweat May 20, 2014 at 9:36 am

Genius idea! I wish I’d have read this before I made my oatmeal this morning.

Ashley @ Saving Money in your Twenties May 20, 2014 at 9:42 am

Whoa I would have never thought of making “jelly” with chia seeds- so brilliant!! Looks much healthier than the jarred stuff I get at the grocery store :)

Michele @ paleorunningmomma May 20, 2014 at 10:25 am

So simple and obvious but of course never would have thought to do this! My kids are major pb&j fans so this is perfect. Plus i can eat it too. Love it!

Polly @ Tasty Food Project May 20, 2014 at 10:32 am

I’ve never made my own jelly before but have always wanted to give it a try! This looks delicious and would be perfect for breakfast!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries May 20, 2014 at 10:39 am

YUM! This looks delicious. I’ve never tried doing chia jam, but this is convincing me I need to!

Megan @ The Skinny-Life May 20, 2014 at 10:44 am

This sounds delicious! What a great idea for chia seeds and for berries too! :)

Sara May 20, 2014 at 11:06 am

This looks so delicious and totally easy to make!! YUM!!

Loretta May 20, 2014 at 11:36 am

My new favorite thing is chia pudding mixed with yogurt! There is a brand that makes this concoction, but its a bit expensive so I tried making it myself by just mixing my favorite yogurt with chia seed pudding and it came out delicious! Best yogurt to mix it with is Siggi’s Icelandic-style yogurt (http://siggisdairy.com/v2/). I am intrigued by your jam though, I am going to try that next!

Alex @ Kenzie Life May 20, 2014 at 11:55 am

This reminds me a lot of Angela’s chia seed jams, which I also haven’t tried but want to. They look so easy and I love having control of the ingredients instead of all the extras store bought jams have in them!

Jackie May 20, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Yum!!! What a fun twist!

Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit May 20, 2014 at 12:40 pm

So easy, yet so delicious looking! I just want this on some toast – mmm!

Samantha @ The Faithful Runner May 20, 2014 at 1:11 pm

This look awesome! I wonder if I could try it with Strawberries !

Gianna @ Run, Lift, Repeat May 20, 2014 at 3:54 pm

This looks amazing! and always looking for new topping ideas!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 20, 2014 at 6:16 pm

YUM! This sounds amazing!!

Kelsey at The Primal Yogi May 21, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Yum! I really need to experiment with Chia Seeds asap!

Ellen Renee May 29, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Tina – I made this jelly over the weekend but had to use strawberries (could not find blueberries or raspberries at the store when I went – that is what I wanted to use)…I REALLY loved it – I did add a bit of vanilla at the end. Thank you for sharing. This morning I found a small amount of the almond honey butter recipe I made after you shared that recipe not long ago after your babymoon trip and put that on a waffle with some strawberry chia jelly….sooo good! I highly recommend that.

Tina May 29, 2014 at 2:31 pm

That sounds delicious! So glad you liked the recipe!!

Linda July 27, 2014 at 12:28 pm

I just tried this! It’s just wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing!