• 3 High-Intensity Workouts for Hotel Gyms

May 15, 2014

This post was sponsored by Hyatt Place as part of its Seamless Travel Series. The opinions are my own and based on my experience.

As part of my new role as the Healthy Living Guru on Hyatt Place’s Seamless Travel Series, I recently asked you guys for your questions, input and interest about anything and everything related to health, fitness or food when you’re traveling. And you guys had a lot of great feedback!

A question that came up a lot was getting the most out of your workout when you’re on the road. We all know that it never feels like there is enough time when you travel, let alone time to exercise like you do at home. But don’t let a busy travel schedule tie you down, there are options!

During my recent stay at Hyatt Place New York/Midtown-South, I found out that Hyatt Place has 24-hour Stay Fit Gyms, so you can workout no matter the hour! And, of course, even just a quick sweat session in your room can energize you and get you going when you need it most.

IMG_1807

Since you’re out of your usual routine, you need to make every minute count during your workout. You can maximize your time in the gym by combining heart-pumping, cardio intervals with muscle-strengthening exercises to fire up your metabolism and torch some serious calories. Here are three high-intensity workouts that you can do in a hotel gym. Even though none of them are longer than 30 minutes, I promise you’ll feel like you just finished a much longer workout! Happy sweating!

10-Minute Dumbbell Workout

This 10-minute dumbbell workout is incredibly challenging and guaranteed to test just about every part of your body. Your heart rate will soar and your muscles will scream for mercy!

All you need for this workout is a dumbbell (I recommend light to mid-weight), your sneakers, a stopwatch, and some space. You can easily do this in your hotel room if it offers a lot of space like the roomy rooms at Hyatt Place. The goal of this workout is to move from one exercise to the next without stopping. Set your timer for 10 minutes and see how many rounds of dumbbell alternating lunges, dumbbell thrusters and Burpees you can do!

10-Minute_Dumbbell_Workout_

20-Minute Circuit Workout

Have a little more time to exercise? Great! This workout will definitely challenge you and push you out of your comfort zone. For this workout, all you need is your sneakers, a stopwatch, a bench or chair, and some space. (This is also a great workout to do in your hotel room too since no equipment is required!)

For this session, perform each exercise at a high intensity for 45 seconds followed by 15 seconds of rest. Complete all of the exercises in the list below and then repeat the circuit from the beginning for the 20 minutes. The key to this workout is keeping up the intensity, so make sure you’re really pushing yourself during those 45 seconds of work. But, of course, always move at your own pace and rest as needed.

20-Minute_Circuit_Workout

30-Minute Running Workout

This 30-minute running workout is the ultimate full-body workout and every move is guaranteed to fit into your busy schedule!

After a five-minute warm-up (jogging on the treadmill, doing some jumping jacks, or using the elliptical), you’ll get right into it with a one-minute sprint. The following two-minute interval allows you to recover slightly, so you can move onto a one-minute strength exercise. The goal during this interval is to do as many reps as possible with good form. Hop back on the treadmill and repeat this running-strength series for the entire 30-minute workout!

30-Minute_Running_Workout_

Note: Please consult your doctor before starting a new exercise program.

What topic would you like to see me cover next as the Healthy Living Guru for Hyatt Place’s Seamless Travel Series? Please share in the comments below!

Brynn May 15, 2014 at 7:25 am

Having workout routines is super helpful when you’re traveling. Often people have the time to workout, but don’t know what to do. I’d also be interested in healthy eating in hotels/while traveling.

Becky @ Olives n Wine May 15, 2014 at 7:31 am

Great tips! I always find that even a quick 10-minute treadmill run with a few push-ups wakes me up when I’m traveling and makes me feel just a little less guilty for everything I’m indulging in over the trip :) I’d love to see your recommendations for finding running trails/healthy eats while traveling!

Megan @ The Skinny-Life May 15, 2014 at 10:14 am

@Becky @ Olives n Wine: North Face running trail app is excellent for this. I traveled 10 yrs as a consultant so I pretty much have this nailed to a science.

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun May 15, 2014 at 7:59 am

Great workouts! I’ll actually be in a hotel gym this weekend so maybe I’ll have to try one of these out after my run :)

Hilary May 15, 2014 at 8:00 am

I love that 30 minute treadmill and strength workout! Sounds so effective and keeps you busy so you are done before you know it :) Perfect considering I am on vacation right now and trying to decide what my workout should look like tomorrow !

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat May 15, 2014 at 8:31 am

Great workouts! I’ll be travelling for work in a few weeks, so these workouts will definitely come in handy!

Samantha May 15, 2014 at 9:45 am

I don’t know what Dumbell Thrusters or Skater Jumps are? Is that a CrossFit thing?

Tina May 15, 2014 at 9:52 am

Neither of them are common CrossFit exercises. I’ve done Dumbbell Thrusters a couple of times since I’ve been pregnant (because of my belly), but I can’t say I’ve ever done Skater Jumps at CF. Maybe in a warm-up?

Here are some videos from YouTube:

Dumbbell Thrusters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNTW7B09VJg

Skater Jumps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlIcZK3c3g4

Samantha May 15, 2014 at 11:52 am

@Tina: Thanks! I’ve definitely done skater jumps, just with a different name, but have never done dumbell thrusters in that format, so I appreciate the videos :)

Stphanie May 15, 2014 at 9:51 am

These are so great!

Megan @ The Skinny-Life May 15, 2014 at 10:13 am

I traveled as a consultant for 10 yrs every week so I pretty much am a guru in this area. But I would like your thought on how to handle a busy workout center. Often hotels have peak times and very limited equipment making it difficult to get on a machine and if you working 12 hour days like me it can be tough.

Meme ~ Making Healthyali A Lifestyle May 15, 2014 at 10:28 am

I am traveling this weekend and can’t wait to try one of these hotel gym workouts. Thanks!

Samantha @ The Faithful Runner May 15, 2014 at 10:35 am

I love these. I am so glad you shared these because I’m always lost on what to do when at a hotel. Thanks for this.

Ashley @ A Lady Goes West May 15, 2014 at 10:44 am

I like to bring a resistance band with me when traveling to aid in hotel room workouts. These are some good line-ups you’ve put together. Push-ups, tricep dips and lunges are great ways to utilize a little bit of space.

Shel@PeachyPalate May 15, 2014 at 10:55 am

Some great workouts!!! As I’m thinking about travelling to the US I guess companies/sites/groups that you can go to drop in classes to in some top cities? Or even just NY :)

Tina May 15, 2014 at 10:58 am

I’m not too sure about NY, but I can give you some ideas for the Boston area! :)

Shel@PeachyPalate May 15, 2014 at 4:53 pm

@Tina: Deadly!!! Maybe I’ll have to visit Boston then!

Leslie @ Life Begins @ 30? May 15, 2014 at 11:14 am

These are great! I might do some of these at home on an off day or a work from home day!

I would love to see healthy eating while traveling and some tips for getting out of the hotel and being active. Park workouts, running outside, other fun activities/ideas.

Ruth May 15, 2014 at 11:42 am

Thanks for the workouts! I’d like to see what you would pack for ensuring you will workout when you are on vacation and some more “no equipment” workouts, or resistance band/”whatever heavy thing you can find” workouts. Quiet workouts, or just little things you can add into the day when you are out and about. Pool workouts would be nice too, not just swimming laps. Or more workouts for feeling intimidated in a strange hotel minigym.

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run May 15, 2014 at 11:49 am

These look great and could be at-home workouts, too :)

Jaclyn @ BumpSweat May 15, 2014 at 12:19 pm

These are really good! I’ll be passing them along to my hubby, who’s on the road now for a month. Another thing he’d really benefit from is healthy eating on the road, and taking into consideration that there’s not always a fridge in the hotel room.

Alex @ Kenzie Life May 15, 2014 at 12:24 pm

I’d love to see more snack/food ideas for travel :) I’m not sure if you’re just doing workout things and I thought I remembered a breakfast post, but I just love the food ones!

Hillary May 15, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Totally doing the running workout this weekend. looks awesome!

Livi May 15, 2014 at 1:02 pm

I love these quick circuits! Ill definitely be trying some of these!

Michele @ paleorunningmomma May 15, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Tips for eating whole foods while traveling would be appreciated. I’m always reacting to foods while staying at a hotel/eating at restaurants/etc.

Elizabeth {Positively Healthy} May 15, 2014 at 1:42 pm

These are perfect for training on the go, or is you have a small space! Can’t wait to try them out when I am on vacation!

Sarah @ Sweet Miles May 15, 2014 at 2:07 pm

This is great!! I would like to hear more about eating healthy breakfasts while traveling! Hotel breakfasts are always awful, so what to pack, or what are some better choices to make!

Polly @ Tasty Food Project May 15, 2014 at 2:23 pm

I like the 20-minute circuit workout because you can do it anywhere! I’m going to give it a try!

Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit May 15, 2014 at 3:46 pm

I leave for vacation in a few weeks and am not planning to take my laptop for DVDs, so these go-to circuits will be perfect!

Phil June 12, 2014 at 2:42 pm

The dumbbell workout can be performed right in your hotel room with resistance bands, which are very light and portable.

Sandra June 23, 2014 at 5:17 am

When I go long travelling, I worry about my weight. If I can do some workouts to get fit, I can burn more calorie and don’t need to worry my weight. I’m going to try. Thanks.

Tony July 3, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Having stayed on the 23rd floor of the Hyatt Place Midtown South recently, I found it useful to use the stairwell to get to and from my room, sometimes several times per day.

There are only 2 (very slow) elevators there, so using the stairs was quicker, but great exercise to boot!

Steve July 14, 2014 at 9:48 am

Great tips and workouts… Getting some exercises done is better than none when you are on traveling. Whenever I am traveling aboard, I do pick hotels with the GYM facility to stay for some light exercise.