• Weekend Highlights

April 14, 2014

Good morning and happy Monday!

Did the weekend fly by for anyone else? Holy cow. I can’t believe it’s already Monday morning. What a whirlwind couple of days! That said, here are some highlights from my weekend!

Saturday morning started with a delicious breakfast: homemade bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich on a buttery English muffin with cold brew coffee from Stumptown, which was incredible mixed with some almond milk. FYI: I found the Stumptown cold brew at the Whole Foods in South Weymouth.

Mal and I spent most of Saturday at a baby education and safety class, which was put on by Pediatrics West.

We learned all kinds of helpful info, including how to swaddle a baby and change a diaper—two things neither of us have ever done before. (Our baby’s diaper may or may not have had mustard and tapioca pudding inside! Haha!) The class also covered baby safety, newborn appearance, and what to expect during visits with your pediatrician. A doctor from the practice also popped in to answer our questions, which was also really helpful.

The class was 5 hours long, so by the time it was over, Mal and I were starving for lunch. We headed to the British Beer Company for lunch.

I ordered a turkey melt with apples and a side of roasted root vegetables—both were delicious!

After lunch, we stopped by my in-law’s house to pick up Murphy, who had been hanging out there all day—cuddling with my mother-in-law, cleaning up dropped chicken salad, and eating deer poop from the yard. Murphy definitely knows how to have a good time!

After that, we packed up the car with the rest of the presents from my baby shower (my in-laws were hanging onto them for us) and drove home.

Saturday evening involved good friends, good food, and an awesome first fire of the season. The night definitely made me look forward to summer!

Sunday involved running lots of errands and projects around the house.

I really, truly can’t go into Target without spending at least $100. It’s a problem.

This week’s meal plan:

• Sunday: Egg sandwiches
    • Monday: Grilled chicken with roasted broccoli and brown rice
    • Tuesday: Shepard’s Pie from Well Fed
    • Wednesday: American Chop Suey
    • Thursday: Leftovers
    • Friday: Out to dinner
    • Saturday: Wing it

I spent most of Sunday organizing the nursery. It’s coming along!

The biggest highlight of the weekend was my alma mater winning their first NCAA hockey championship, which is absolutely amazing, considering the size of the school (just over 2,000 students) and the fact that it doesn’t offer any athletic scholarships. I’m so proud of my little school!!!

The Oh She Glows Cookbook Giveaway

Thanks to everyone who entered to a win a copy of The Oh She Glows Cookbook! Here’s your winner:

sara

pioneer woman’s Guiness Float. yummm!

Congrats, Sara! Please email me at tina@carrotsncake.com with your full name and mailing address to claim your prize!

How was your weekend?

What is your alma mater known for?

Sarah @ Sweet Miles April 14, 2014 at 9:02 am

Haha yay for baby prep classes!!! Mustard in the diaper?? Yuck! Ha! My weekend was wonderful, spent with family and friends back home! Murphy looks like he is slowly but surely adjusting to the idea of having another spoiled baby in the house ;) I can’t wait to see pics of the two of them together!

Ali @ Peaches and Football April 14, 2014 at 9:08 am

I’m often amazed how many people have never changed a diaper – but I forget I’m well-versed because my youngest brother was born when I was 9, so I changed quite a few in my youth!

It must be so much fun getting all the things ready for the baby! It will be here before you know it.

It’s snowing here in WI this morning so the pics outside by the fire look wonderful. Hopefully that’ll be us soon!

Kerry April 14, 2014 at 9:12 am

I went to UConn and we had quite a big week winning DUAL championships in mens and womens basketball!

Anon April 14, 2014 at 9:17 am

Would you mind sharing your registry list? I love looking at other people’s for ideas! There’s so much to consider!

Samantha @ The Faithful Runner April 14, 2014 at 9:18 am

What a beautiful campfire! Thanks for sharing all of your pics! :) My weekend was awesome. Took home my first 1st place medal in a 5k. Congrats to your alma mater!

Tina April 14, 2014 at 9:24 am

That’s awesome! Congrats!

Alyssa @ Lyss The Nutritionist April 14, 2014 at 9:23 am

How exciting! Everything seems to be coming along great with the baby stuff :) Yay for Union College! (I’m from upstate NY and I used to have soccer camp there)

Shel@PeachyPalate April 14, 2014 at 9:31 am

I caved and was officially sick yesterday…on sofa rest! Did me the world of good though because feel in top form today!!! I’m seeing Turkey sandwiches everywhere today, totally next on my meats to try!!!

Elizabeth {Positively Healthy} April 14, 2014 at 9:37 am

I have the same problem at Target! I just can’t help myself! My weekend was packed with running errands, drinking coffee and working. I went Ohio State so we are known for our football and sometimes basketball!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 14, 2014 at 9:39 am

your bonfire looks so cozy and fun! I wish I lived somewhere where I could do that all summer – haha not great when you live in a big city where everyone has an apartment rather than a house. Someday…

Lindsey B April 14, 2014 at 9:42 am

Union winning the NCAA hockey tourney was definitely an upset….considering my alma mater is the University of MN Golden Gophers! AAAHH, SO bummed they lost, but Union played very well and deserved to win. Very cool that such a small school won the tourney!

Brittany @ read, run, repeat April 14, 2014 at 9:53 am

I didn’t know you were a Union grad!! :) you lived right near me for awhile!!

Becky @ Olives n Wine April 14, 2014 at 9:56 am

Oh a baby class – how fun! I hope they at least had snacks for all of the mama’s in the room. Five hours is a long time to go without eating! And I’ve never changed a diaper before either… it will be interesting when I finally have a baby ;)

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries April 14, 2014 at 9:57 am

Looks like such a great weekend! That kale & sea salt popcorn sounds intriguing! I love fires in the backyard – such a fun summer activity.

Our weekend was jam packed and full of fun. Lots of house hunting and hanging out with family. It was a good one!

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance April 14, 2014 at 9:57 am

What a fun weekend! I tried to spend my entire weekend outside despite the fact that my allergies are killing me! It was just too beautiful to stay inside!

Jaclyn @ BumpSweat April 14, 2014 at 9:57 am

I love bonfires! So cozy, and it looks like you guys had a lot of fun. My weekend was so good; it was our 5-year dating anniversary. Because the weather was amazing here Saturday, we went hiking first thing. Later that afternoon, we also worked on our baby’s nursery, but by picking out paint colors; our little one’s not coming until late-August. I can’t wait to see it come together!

Sara April 14, 2014 at 10:10 am

I changed my first diaper this weekend (my niece’s) and it wasn’t that bad at all! After picking up after two dogs for the past four years a little baby poop was no biggie haha

Brynn April 14, 2014 at 10:13 am

What a great weekend. I love Suja juice and had two this weekend alone. I wish I could have them every day, but I usually make my own.

Anna @ ThatDAMMRunner April 14, 2014 at 10:17 am

That fire looks awesome! Bonfires or BBQs, anything that involves being outside and eating food with good friends, are my favorite in the summertime! This weekend was glorious – warm, finallyyyyy.

My alma mater, University of Colorado Boulder, is unfortunately known for its … celebration of 4/20…if you catch my drift. UGH. THAT IS NOT WHO EVERYONE IS!!! And it’s changing actually. Good thing we’re also known for having a drop dead gorgeous campus and a fabulous quality of life :) I miss it.

Sarah April 14, 2014 at 10:19 am

Did you see the mega M&Ms at Target?? They have regular and peanut varieties. They are the size of about 3-4 regular M&Ms. The only reason I didn’t get them yesterday was the jelly beans already in my cart!

Tina April 14, 2014 at 10:28 am

I haven’t seen those, but I want to find them!!

BakingSuit April 14, 2014 at 10:21 am

What a lovely weekend! The highlight of mine was packing up fabric for our move and the guy at Trader Joes opening a lane just for me because I sounded/looked like I had the Plague. (I’m almost certain he sanitized anything I could have possibly touched in check out after ushering me out the door. The kicker is, I’m not that sick, I just sound REALLY bad and looked a little terrible because I had just come from a 4 hour teaching shift at the pool! But it was the quickest tip to TJS ever.)

It was so exciting to have Union win! I’m actually moving to Schenectady in a few weeks (final approval and closing pending on our home). I went to UAlbany which was known for being the number 1 party school 2x in my time there but now is more known for things like nano-tech and basketball!

Danica @ It's Progression April 14, 2014 at 10:32 am

I’ve never had apple slices on a sandwich before – it sounds super good!
    My weekend was good, too. My husband and I went to our first Twins game of the season, which was a ton of fun.

Ashley @ A Lady Goes West April 14, 2014 at 10:35 am

Looks like a great weekend.

I went to University of Florida, so we have plenty of claims to fame. :) Now that I live in San Francisco, I’ve found that there is still a pretty active UF alumni club here as well. It’s a Gator Nation.

The nursery is looking great. :)

kyla April 14, 2014 at 10:35 am

I went to Saint Louis University and the exorcist took place here( you know, the scary story! It was based off an event that happened in St. Louis but part of it was performed on campus)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 14, 2014 at 10:40 am

KALE popcorn? I’m intrigued!!

Annie Atherton April 14, 2014 at 10:45 am

Not sure if anyone else agrees with this, but when you are organizing the nursery I would suggest that when sitting in the nursing chair, the two most important things for me were being able to see a clock and being able to reach my water or whatever. So having a small shelf or table right near the chair is great. I needed a clock because sometimes at night, I would nod off while nursing, and when I woke up, I wasn’t sure if my kid had been chowing for an hour or for 30 seconds! Because my first was content to be directly connected to my boob ALL night if I let him!

Tina April 14, 2014 at 10:56 am

I actually thought the same thing, so there’s a shelf right near our chair! :)

Megan @ The Skinny-Life April 14, 2014 at 11:09 am

What a fun weekend! I cannot imagine a bonfire though. It was 90 in AZ this weekend little warmer than usual but still so lovely. Where did you find Kale popcorn? That looks wonderful although I’m pretty sure u would eat the whole bag!

Jen K April 14, 2014 at 11:18 am

I see that Mal is the favorite of every dog.

Andrea April 14, 2014 at 11:19 am

So glad to see that someone else likes Robin Eggs! :)

Ali April 14, 2014 at 11:19 am

I really have that problem with Target too… I don’t know what to do about it. I don’t see it changing anytime soon.

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run April 14, 2014 at 11:29 am

Baby CNC’s nursery is looking great!

Greta @ fueledbyfresh April 14, 2014 at 11:37 am

Sounds like an awesome weekend! My weekend flew by too! My mom is out visiting from Maine and we always have a blast when she is here! I too am a Target freak! I can never walk out without spending like $75-$100!!! It sucks you in!!

Jessica H. April 14, 2014 at 11:38 am

My weekend was great! It was 81 degrees here in eastern Iowa on Saturday, but today we woke up to snow and 30 degree temps! YIKES!

Will you be keeping the baby with you at home once he arrives, or is he going to daycare? Have you decided how your blog will look after the baby comes? I know Iowa Girl Eats has a baby channel she created once her little guy was born. I would love to hear your adventures with baby once he comes!

Tina April 14, 2014 at 11:45 am

We’re still not sure about either. We might hire a nanny to help out a couple of days per week, so I can still work. We’ll see!

Chelsea@BigBitesLittleBudget April 14, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Looks like such a lovely weekend! My weekend was packed. It was my best friend’s bridal shower on Saturday…finally! I have been planning that thing for what feels like an eternity. It turned out so great and the brunch theme was a hit. I also had a baby shower that day as well. On Sunday, it was church and a day-date with the boyfriend (BBQ and Captain America).

Nicole April 14, 2014 at 12:37 pm

your posts make me happy :) that is all.

Tina April 14, 2014 at 12:51 pm

😄😄😄

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl April 14, 2014 at 12:44 pm

That popcorn looks SO good!! Where did you buy it?

Tina April 14, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Whole Foods!

sally @ sweat out the small stuff April 14, 2014 at 12:48 pm

my weekend is still going! I took today off for Passover. It’s been great. Beautiful weather in NYC. Lots of running and qt with the pooch. Murphy sure does give my Duncan a run for his money in the photo cuteness factor. Do they have to rest their little chins on EVERYTHING to look even cuter?!

Can’t wait to see the nursery all done.
    My alma matter didn’t have sports :( it was a college for fine arts (School of Visual Arts).

janetha April 14, 2014 at 1:06 pm

ah, fire! i can’t wait for summertime.

Lindsay April 14, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Alma Mater: Western Kentucky University, the Hilltoppers…our mascot looks like a big red blog and we wave towels at games;)

Weekend= awesome. I was pretty bogged down with work last week so socializing was last on the list, I caught up this weekend with a few great friend outings and FINALLY finished my porch table project!

Andrea April 14, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Your alma mater beat my alma mater in that championship game! Hard to see my Golden Gophers lose, but a good game to watch with lots of goal scoring. Looks like you had a great weekend!

Shannon April 14, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Random question….I bought coconut oil months ago, used a few times then. Used it just the other day and it was hard up until today I used it again and it was liquidly…. Not near anything warm….has this happened to you before? Does it mean I should dump it? Thanks!

Tina April 14, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Hmm… That’s strange. Do you keep it in the refrigerator?

Alex @ Kenzie Life April 14, 2014 at 3:00 pm

I didn’t know you went to Union :) I had a few friends that I studied abroad with who went there. Congrats on the win! I went to a really small all-women’s liberal arts college (one of the 7 sisters)–I guess we’re most known for being Katherine Hepburn’s alma mater, which is pretty cool.

Megan April 14, 2014 at 3:42 pm

What color are your nursery walls? It looks great!

Tina April 14, 2014 at 3:56 pm
    Sam April 14, 2014 at 4:23 pm

I went to UC Santa Cruz. We’re known for the fact that our mascot is the Banana Slug! Banana slugs are golden and flexible and have no natural predators…jut like UCSC students! They also have a compound on their slime that makes your lips go numb if you kiss them…

Annette@FitnessPerks April 14, 2014 at 4:26 pm

What a fun weekend! Those baby education classes are always so great. :)

I can’t wait for fires and roasted marshmallows on the beach!!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun April 14, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Kale popcorn!? I NEED to try this out!

Sarah April 14, 2014 at 6:01 pm

I’m dying to go the British Beer Company and this makes me want to go more! I love the mac and cheese there!

Nicole April 15, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Congrats to Union! My Dad’s a Golden Gopher, but it’s always great to see a smaller school knock down the bigger schools with more resources! (I went to a small Catholic college in Northern California – St. Mary’s – and our BIG thing was that we made it to the NCAA Men’s BBall “Elite 8″ about 3 years ago.)

<3 the Murphy on the laundry picture! What a face!!

Erika April 15, 2014 at 7:34 pm

I love see pics of Murphy and it’s so rare that I see pics with his mouth open, like he is smiling. He definitely had fun at your in-laws’ house