• Sweetgreen Comes to Fort Point {Boston}

April 2, 2014

Yesterday afternoon I was invited to attend a media preview at the new Sweetgreen location in Fort Point, so I headed into town to see what it was all about.

Never heard of Sweetgreen? It’s basically a fast food salad shop that sources local and organic ingredients for their menu. Food-wise, it’s pretty incredible, but the company also actively promotes a healthy lifestyle in their community—from hosting “pay what you want” days and farm-to-school programs to offering free fitness classes and an annual music festival.

And what’s even more amazing about this company is that it was started just 6 years ago by two recent college graduates—two guys from Georgetown University, who didn’t think there were enough healthy food options in the area—and now Sweetgreen has 21 locations! Crazy, right? It’s such a cool story. Anyway, let me tell you about the new Fort Point location!

The space for the Fort Point restaurant is bright, open, and simple. In the spirit of “keeping it real,” Sweetgreen tries to preserve the natural structure of a building, no matter what the cost, as a commitment to their sustainability.

Sweetgreen changes up their menu based on the season to offer the freshest and most nutritious ingredients possible, including a monthly specialty salad as well as seasonal, house-made beverages and soups.

The Cucumber Limeade and Ginger Green Tea were both so tasty. They made me want summer to be here even sooner!

I loved the Sweetgreen manifesto!

When ordering, you can either select a salad from the menu or make your own custom salad creation from the ingredients available. I was encouraged to get the full Sweetgreen experience, so I ordered one of each.

All of the salads are made fresh right in front of you and, rumor has it, there are around 6,000 different salad combinations, so you’d never get bored of the same old thing!

I ordered the “Earth Bowl,” which was made with warm grains, organic arugula, roasted chicken, white cheddar, grape tomatoes, raw corn, spicy broccoli, and topped with a pesto vinaigrette. It was amazing!!

For my custom salad, I basically put all of my favorite foods in one creation: arugula with roasted sweet potatoes, asparagus, broccoli, soba noodles, toasted Parmesan crisps (YUM!), and candied pecans with a champagne vinaigrette. OMG, best salad EVER!

All in all, I absolutely loved my first experience at Sweetgreen and definitely want to visit again. Actually, I think Sweetgreen needs to add a location down on the South Shore!

Local readers: TODAY, Wednesday, April 2 is the grand opening of the Sweetgreen Fort Point location and you can pay what you want from 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM. All proceeds will benefit Mass Farmers Markets.

What ingredients would go into your ultimate custom salad creation?

Mili April 2, 2014 at 1:02 pm

that sounds amazing!! i love places like that!

Tonya @ Not Your Average Athlete April 2, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Are they by any chance owned by Chipotle? The set up and decor look almost identical. I guess I could look it up :-)

Tina April 2, 2014 at 1:15 pm

I believe they’re independently owned by the two guys that started it.

kirb April 3, 2014 at 7:23 am

@Tina: founded by three Georgetown students :) and yes, no connection to Chipotle

Kate @ Coffee with Kate April 2, 2014 at 1:14 pm

I love sweetgreen! I go to it when I visit my boyfriend in Philly. I wish there was one near me but I know they’re more in larger cities. Cool to hear how it started. They’ve definitely gotten far in only 6 years!

Jaclyn @ BumpSweat April 2, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Guess it’s time for a trip to Boston. I haven’t looked, but I’m 99% certain we don’t have a Sweetgreen in St. Louis. I love savory salads, probably something with chicken, grains, tons of veggies, and a curry dressing. I’m inspired now :)

spolady April 2, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Seriously, pay what you like? Silly

Tina April 2, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Why is that silly? I think it’s an AMAZING idea and more places should offer this option on occasion. It makes healthy food accessible to a lot more people.

Bobbie April 3, 2014 at 8:57 am

@Tina:

Not silly at all considering that they donate the money to farms or anywhere for that matter. makes me think that people who believe in the cause are going to pay! Also,like you said, those that can’t afford to normally each such wholesome food get the chance!!
    Not silly at all!

Heather April 2, 2014 at 1:41 pm

I wish they were a franchise, I would ABSOLUTELY invest. There should be (and hope will be, in the near future) more restaurant concepts like this one. If everyone would go back to eating as close to the source as possible, so many problems would be lessened/eliminated.

Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit April 2, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Gosh, my city has nothing cool like this. My salad would be, spinach, cilantro, goat cheese, sundried tomatoes, avocado, and marinated chicken with BV/ACV!

Julianna @ Julianna Bananna April 2, 2014 at 3:16 pm

oh yum! sweetgreen sounds amazing, wish there was one near me!

Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats April 2, 2014 at 3:23 pm

I <3 Sweet Green!! There are two in DC that I frequent pretty often and I am always happy with my service and food.

Shel@PeachyPalate April 2, 2014 at 3:38 pm

That place looks like heaven!!! I’d go salmon (grilled or smoked, I’d have a hard time choosing!), beet chips, baby spinach, roasted carrots, avocado, slow roasted tomatoes and some sort of nut butter dressing! I love almond butter drizzled over salad!

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine April 2, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Sweetgreen is the best! I need to get back to DC where I first had it. They have no location in NJ yet :(

Jillian April 2, 2014 at 7:16 pm

I second a South Shore SweetGreen!! At least Fort Point is closer than their Boylston location. I love the Santorini.

Katie April 2, 2014 at 9:35 pm

I was mad when I first saw this because up until last year I worked in Fort Point – but I actually think this is best for my wallet haha! I’m really excited to get over there and check it out though, thanks for the review, sounds fantastic:) We need more spots like this and I agree – bring one to the South Shore!!

Alex LT April 2, 2014 at 11:40 pm

Love love love this place!! I go to the location across from Copley station in the city as often as I can

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake April 3, 2014 at 6:33 am

My sister saw this post and told me there is a Sweetgreen location in the Philly suburbs so we definitely want to visit!

Laura @ In This Moment April 3, 2014 at 9:12 am

I just read your post about SAME Cafe and now reading about Sweetgreen makes me so inspired-I absolutely love stories of people seeing something that needs to be changed and just doing it.

Both salads you got sounds incredible, and, omg that t-shirt is so awesome!

Emily @ Life on Food April 5, 2014 at 5:48 am

I have been to the Sweetgreen in Georgetown. I wish there were more since I live in Connecticut. Love going there for salads.

Amanda April 6, 2014 at 5:44 pm

I just went for a run last week and happened across this new Sweetgreen location! It hadn’t opened yet when I passed by but I’m super excited to try it out now! P.S. Tried a class at the new SoulCylcle yesterday and it looks like a Sweetgreen is about to open up in that new plaza too! :-)