• So Many Great Things Happened This Weekend

April 7, 2014

Hi, friends! Happy Monday! How was your weekend? Mine was so nice. So many wonderful things happened, and I am definitely starting Monday with a smile on my face. Here’s a quick recap…

On Friday, I enjoyed my pre-baby spa day and, wow, it was amazing.

I had a facial, massage, lunch, manicure, and pedicure. Oh my gosh, it was so awesome.

How to make a keg from a watermelon? I definitely took note of this for future reference! (I saw this in a magazine while waiting for one of my spa treatments. Genius, right?)

Friday night was pretty low-key. I actually don’t even remember what I did. I probably ate dinner, watched TV, and went to bed early. Spa day + third trimester = so sleepy.

On Saturday morning, Mal and I met with our financial advisor for a couple of hours. On the drive home, we stopped by Burton’s for lunch. I ordered the Baked Stuffed Zucchini, which was roasted zucchini filled with goat cheese and topped with tomato sauce and cheese gratin. It was excellent!

I spent Saturday afternoon cleaning and getting our house ready for a special overnight guest. My college roommate Katie decided to fly up from DC to attend my baby shower on Sunday, so I invited her to spend Saturday night at our house.

(Murphy is so bugged out in the photo below because Mal and I threatened to make him into the bed if he didn’t move out of the way. He wouldn’t move and probably didn’t think we’d actually make him into the bed, but we did. This was his face after he realized what had just happened. This dog is ridiculous and such a drama queen.)

On Saturday afternoon, a special delivery also arrived in the mail: Nikki’s Pistachio Macaroon Coconut Butter. I actually think this is my favorite flavor of Nikki’s. It doesn’t have a super strong pistachio flavor—more just nutty—and it definitely tastes like a sweet, coconut-y macaroon. It’s incredible!

Katie arrived at our house in the early evening, so we ordered take-out for dinner and hung out at home. We actually ended up staying up pretty late—just talking and catching up. It was so nice to spend time with her.

On Sunday morning, Mal, Katie, and I went to breakfast at Uncle Charlie’s Diner. I couldn’t decide if I was in the mood for a sweet or savory breakfast, so I ordered both, which was a great idea. Breakfast sandwich + pancake = perfect.

Sunday afternoon was my baby shower! Post coming soon!

When my shower ended, Mal and I got together with our hometown friends for a walk to the Old Bridge.

the_guys_at_the_bridge

the_ladies_at_the_bridge

M_&_T (2)

Good times at the Old Bridge!

murph_n_mal

When we finally got home after Sunday’s activities, Mal, Murphy, and I were totally exhausted. We all climbed into bed at 8:00 PM and passed out.

The end.

How was your weekend?

Laura Lancaster April 7, 2014 at 9:14 am

The spa day sounds ahhmazzing!!!

Sarah @ Sweet Miles April 7, 2014 at 9:14 am

I think you need to write a blog post on Mal’s Pug t-shirt. It’s pretty amazing, haha!

Tina April 7, 2014 at 9:17 am

Haha! Isn’t that thing AMAZING!?!?!

Sarah @ Sweet Miles April 7, 2014 at 12:14 pm

@Tina: I love it!!

Heather April 7, 2014 at 9:27 am

Sounds like such a fun weekend. Thanks for the reminder on how much I *love* Burtons!!

Allison April 7, 2014 at 9:28 am

Can’t wait to hear about the shower! Question: Do you heat your coconut butter? I just bought my first jar and didn’t have good luck microwaving it in the jar.

Tina April 7, 2014 at 9:34 am

I usually just eat it straight out of the jar, but sometimes I melt it on fruit. I actually never microwave the jar. I just scoop out how much I want to eat, put that into a microwave-safe bowl, and nuke in the microwave.

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 7, 2014 at 9:35 am

that’s great to have an old friend come and stay with you! I went home to Kansas City this weekend for a bridal shower and it was so great to catch up with people!

Jen @ Pretty Little Grub April 7, 2014 at 9:37 am

Ahhh a spa day! That would make any weekend wonderful. Love that you ordered both the pancake and breakfast sandwich!

Ashley @ A Lady Goes West April 7, 2014 at 9:54 am

Spa days are the best, and I agree that sometimes they leave you in a fog — in a good way. My weekend was fabulous, because I hopped on a red-eye flight on Saturday night and woke up in sunny Florida to visit my parents for a quick trip. Yay for humidity. I miss it while living in San Francisco.

I want to try Nikki’s Coconut Butter, I’ve heard good things about it.

Happy Monday!

Shel@PeachyPalate April 7, 2014 at 9:59 am

Good call on breakfast!!! I can never decide either…both is always the best option!

Elizabeth {Positively Healthy} April 7, 2014 at 9:59 am

LOVING Mal’s shirt! Haha. Looks like a great weekend, I can’t wait to hear more about the baby shower! :)

Kaelene@Unlocking Kiki April 7, 2014 at 10:13 am

Sounds like such an amazing weekend for sure! That spa days sounds amazing.

Jaclyn @ BumpSweat April 7, 2014 at 10:38 am

Sounds like my kind of weekend! I’m googling spas in my area now in hopes of having my own pre-baby spa day. Time to start dropping hints to the hubs now ;)

Megan @ The Skinny-Life April 7, 2014 at 10:44 am

I must try that pistachio nut butter pronto. I’ve never heard of that brand before. I just got vanilla and cinnamon sunflower butter at a local bread company this morning after my workout. It was amazeballs in my morning oatmeal!

Tina April 7, 2014 at 10:52 am

Pistachio nut butter sounds so good!!

Ashley @ Saving Money in your Twenties April 7, 2014 at 10:52 am

Looks like an awesome weekend!! can’t wait to hear about your baby shower! :)

Livi April 7, 2014 at 10:54 am

OMG you got the new coconut butter! I need to try that!

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run April 7, 2014 at 11:07 am

It’s always nice to start Monday (or any day) with a smile! :)

Sarah April 7, 2014 at 11:19 am

Looks like you had a great weekend! What do you eat with the coconut butter? That sounds so good!

Tina April 7, 2014 at 11:24 am

I usually eat it straight from the jar, but I also like it melted on banana slices (and other fruit), mixed into oatmeal, on toast, melted on ice cream… The possibilities are endless! 😄

Greta @ fueledbyfresh April 7, 2014 at 11:20 am

Sounds like an awesome weekend! I so loved my baby shower, I felt so loved and special! Hope your friends and family accomplished the same for you! We went to a medieval festival this weekend which was super fun and great for the kiddo! Happy Monday!

Linz @ Itz Linz April 7, 2014 at 11:24 am

that watermelon keg is awesome! it’d be best with vodka – naturally watermelon flavored – yum!!

Emily April 7, 2014 at 11:36 am

Mmm, coconut butter! I need to get some of that.
    We pretty much slept all weekend. And hung out in the sunshine. Squish got his scooter bike out and ran laps while we lounged. Not a bad way to spend the weekend!

Dana April 7, 2014 at 11:38 am

I want to try that watermelon keg too! Perfect for a summer party.

Bethany April 7, 2014 at 11:48 am

I had a great weekend. My last long run of 20 miles was perfect. And I had a lot of catching up to do after our vacation to Hawaii. I will be back in Boston in 11 days!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries April 7, 2014 at 11:52 am

Yay! So glad you got a relaxing spa day. Those are the best, especially when pregnant. :)

Sweet + savory for brunch is always the answer. Love your choice! Looking forward to hearing more about the baby shower!

Danica @ It's Progression April 7, 2014 at 12:00 pm

I’m excited to hear about your baby shower!

Shelby April 7, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Love the first pic of Murphy. Your blog has inspired me to capture my dog better. Your pictures are priceless!

I think its so important for women who are pregnant to have a spa day. With so many changes going on it’s important to remember to take time for yourself too. It keeps a balance.

Stephanie April 7, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Mal’s “Pug Family” shirt is hilarious !!

emily April 7, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Hi Tina! I am also pregnant (but much earlier on than you).. Anyway, I have a cheese question. I have seen that you’ve posted a few meals that you’ve eaten with goat cheese or feta cheese. I know these are two of the “soft” cheeses that you’re supposed to avoid during pregnancy- am I wrong? Are they ok as long as they’re pasteurized? I thought you were supposed to avoid them regardless, but if i’m wrong, i’ll be a happy girl!!

Thanks so much!

Tina April 7, 2014 at 1:01 pm

My doctor said it was fine for me to eat pasteurized cheeses, but definitely talk to yours to see what she/he says! 😄

Kendall April 7, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Looks like such a great weekend! Murphy is so cute :) my weekend was pretty nice as well, went to my boyfriend’s grandparent’s house for the first time, and it wasn’t too scary, it was really fun.

Becki @ Bites 'n Brews April 7, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Growing an entire human inside you definitely earns you at least one spa day :)

Samantha @ The Faithful Runner April 7, 2014 at 12:54 pm

What an awesome weekend. You look great, and I’m glad you had such a perfect time!

Phoebe April 7, 2014 at 1:10 pm

OMG Mal’s Pug shirt! I can’t handle how amazing that is. LOL!!!

Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork April 7, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Aw, what a great weekend. It’s amazing how spending some quality time with friends can be so rejuvenating! I’m sure the spa also helped!
    I also spent time with a friend this weekend and it was much-needed!

joelle @ on a pink typewriter April 7, 2014 at 1:27 pm

That watermelon keg is ingenious! I love 21st Amendment’s watermelon beer (Hell or High Watermelon) — so yummy!

Alex @ Kenzie Life April 7, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Lol Murphy is so funny. I’m glad you had a nice time at the spa–totally deserved! Can’t wait to read about the shower!

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More April 7, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Your dog is ridiculous in the best possible way!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun April 7, 2014 at 2:01 pm

I worked a lot this weekend but it was still great! Got in 2 good runs and spent some QT with the hubby before he starts his emergency medicine rotation today! Felt good but now it is back to the grind :)

Jackie April 7, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Can’t wait to hear more about the shower!

Nikki April 7, 2014 at 3:21 pm

A pre-baby spa day sounds like an amazing idea! I could definitely use a spa day myself, especially a massage! I’m looking forward to seeing everything about your baby shower!

Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit April 7, 2014 at 3:24 pm

What a wonderful weekend, it really did have so many good things! I need to get my hands on some of that coconut butter!

Annette@FitnessPerks April 7, 2014 at 3:55 pm

That spa day sounds ahhhhmazing! I could use one of those ;)

I bet the shower was perfect! Can’t wait to read about it!

Brynn April 7, 2014 at 4:05 pm

I have made the watermelon keg for a party before and it is AWESOME! You have to make one for one of your parties.

Brittney @ Sweets 'N' Greens April 7, 2014 at 6:37 pm

That spa day sounds amazingg! Can’t wait to see the baby shower post!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List April 7, 2014 at 8:17 pm

you are just glowing, friend!

Anna @ That DAMM Runner April 7, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Funny you should ask, I just recapped my race weekend on my blog! Check it out :)

Can’t wait to hear about the shower!

Lacey April 7, 2014 at 10:32 pm

That spa day looked like it was so relaxing! The picture of your pug was absolutely hilarious. I laughed for a good minute. :D

Kayla April 7, 2014 at 10:34 pm

Spa days before baby comes is a must! I got treated to a 90 minute facial and hour massage before Quinn was born. I felt like a whole new woman!

Sarah April 7, 2014 at 10:50 pm

I ALWAYS get sweet and savory at breakfast because I need both! I’m glad someone else feels the same way! :)

Jennifer April 8, 2014 at 4:50 pm

A spa day because your life is so stressful? Your life traveling to nice resorts (for free), getting lots of (free) stuff, writing about said (free) traveling and stuff, and taking pictures of your dog must get really stressful.

Tina April 9, 2014 at 8:07 am

You nailed it! Nice work!

Jennifer June 3, 2014 at 3:08 pm

I’m a newbie to your blog and love that I found it b/c I’m 28 weeks pregnant! This is my second baby but it’s still so fun to read other people’s pregnancy posts. Anyway- had a question about the facial. I wanted to get one as well but wasn’t sure how laying on my back for 60mins would go since they recommend you not to lay flat on your back when you’re this pregnant? Did they keep your head elevated during yours? Just curious :)

Tina June 3, 2014 at 3:19 pm

My head wasn’t elevated, but I’d talk to your doctor about this. Everyone is different! :)