• SAME (So All May Eat) Cafe

April 3, 2014

This post is brought to you by Naked Juice – all opinions are 100% my own.

Hello, hello! How’s your day going so far? I have a fun and heart-warming campaign to tell you guys about!

Naked Juice, makers of fruit and vegetables juice and smoothies, recently hosted a video contest on their Facebook page where viewers voted on which entry “inspired” them the most. The winner was a restaurant called SAME (So All May Eat) Cafe, which is the first non-profit restaurant in Denver.

Screen Shot 2014-03-14 at 12.01.51 PM

Naked Juice partnered with Tongal, a social media platform that gives creative people the freedom to do their best work, to bring to you the story of Libby and Brady Birky, the owners of SAME Cafe.

Libby and Brady Birky devoted countless hours to soup kitchens before quitting their day jobs to open SAME Cafe with a mission of making healthy food available for all, no matter their financial situation. Patrons give what they can afford or volunteer their time in the kitchen.

Screen Shot 2014-03-14 at 12.01.13 PM

The menu includes fresh, organic ingredients culled from local farms and is prepared in a kitchen run by volunteers. SAME Cafe is able to feed hundreds of people healthy meals everyday. It’s a full time job for a stronger community.

Kim @ Roaming Raspberry April 3, 2014 at 6:27 am

Wow, what a neat concept! Amazing. A wonderful thing that so many who would be unable to afford a meal can get a meal full of fresh ingredients. I love that there are people in the world like these owners. They make it a brighter place to live! :) Love it.

Emily April 3, 2014 at 6:28 am

Wow, that is pretty amazing! Such a value to a community to provide a nice place to get a healthy, nutritious meal for everyone. I take for granted things like going to a cafe for lunch; there are so many people who don’t have that option.

Becky @ Olives n Wine April 3, 2014 at 6:49 am

What an awesome business. Everyone deserves to eat a healthy meal each day!

Cara's Healthy Cravings April 3, 2014 at 6:58 am

Very inspiring. Let’s hope that this wonderful model catches on in other areas, as all people should have a safe space and have access to “real” food.

Tina Muir April 3, 2014 at 7:07 am

That is wonderful, what a special idea! People like this are few and far between in this world, and this deserves to be celebrated. Thanks for showing me this, brings a smile to my face. :)

Kimberly April 3, 2014 at 7:08 am

What an inspiring place. Thanks for sharing!

Christine April 3, 2014 at 7:14 am

SAME cafe is one of my favorite places to get lunch in Denver! It is great, because all types of people go: old, young, business professionals, struggling single moms, college students, etc., and everyone sits together and enjoys the wonderful, healthy food. It is such a positive experience, and I’m glad they’re getting exposure!

Linda @ running4two April 3, 2014 at 8:24 am

Wow, what an amazing idea. Healthy food is always more expensive, so many people have to go with not so healthy food choices. Love this. :-)

Greta @ fueledbyfresh April 3, 2014 at 8:29 am

That is such an amazing concept! Kudos to them for doing something so creative and selfless! There should be more places like that in this world!

sara April 3, 2014 at 8:31 am

Just FYI my dad told me about some article about Naked drinks having traces of formaldehyde in them. Just be careful! Don’t want to hurt the little one. http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2013/08/naked-juice-class-action-settlement-offers-up-to-75-per-consumer/

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun April 3, 2014 at 8:45 am

This is such an amazing concept! Health food is not always affordable for everyone. I love seeing people helping others!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats April 3, 2014 at 8:46 am

What a great idea for a non-profit! Panera has a similar location here where you pay whatever you can afford called Panera Cares, although of course that’s their regular food. I love the idea of a healthy, organic restaurant!

Brynn April 3, 2014 at 9:00 am

How cool! I love to see such awesome businesses, ideas and people out there doing good. Thanks for sharing!

Sarah April 3, 2014 at 9:00 am

This is so fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing. Non-profit work is so important, and to that this Cafe is succeeding warms my heart :)

Sarah April 3, 2014 at 9:01 am

@Sarah: Oops.. *the the fact that this Cafe is succeeding warms my heart :)

Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake April 3, 2014 at 9:02 am

Wow, that is amazing! I love to hear and read about things like this! I love Naked juice too, every once in a while!

Laura @ In This Moment April 3, 2014 at 9:04 am

This is such a wonderful, inspiring concept and story! It’s great to see a non-profit that is not only providing food for everyone, but food that is chock full of nutrients AND supporting local farms. All around truly inspiring.

Livi April 3, 2014 at 9:06 am

This is an inspiring story! Thanks for sharing Tina!

Ursula April 3, 2014 at 9:39 am

This is so cool! I love people like this who give back and make the world a healthier place

heather April 3, 2014 at 9:41 am

I’m a little surprised you’re promoting Naked Juice. They are in a huge law suit right now because they’ve lied about their ingredients. Its filled with artificial and synthetic ingredients, so they are being forced to retract the statement that their juice is “all natural.” It’s not healthy at all….

Sarah @ Sweet Miles April 3, 2014 at 9:55 am

Thanks for sharing!! Love me some Naked juice!

Erica April 3, 2014 at 10:24 am

I hate to be one of “those” commenters but I am going to be…Be careful with Naked Juice. I have never had one but recently had a friend ask if the juices on the juice cleanse I just did were similar to Naked. We were in the grocery store and I looked at the ingredients and my first reaction was “Heck No!” There are sooooo many ingredients in something called Naked. I just didn’t get it and its sad when consumers think they are getting something natural yet it’s full of things you can pronounce or know what it is.

Stacy April 3, 2014 at 11:20 am

I have never tried these but they don’t seem ‘healthy’…I don’t have time to look thru them all but the Veggie one had 18gr sugar per serving. just seems to be a lot for a veggies? for a drink? I rather have water on the run and make my own smoothie at home. And the Berry blast (juice/smoothy) has 26 gr sugar per serving. that seems like a lot too, I guess I rather make my own at home and add some frozen strawberries or any other fruit and have less sugar..although its natural. I dunno, I would read these ingrediants very carefully before thinking its healthy. just my opinion of course :)

Sam April 3, 2014 at 11:22 am

Here’s another article about some of the things in Naked Juice (that might not even be on the label) and the lawsuit that went along with it. Just be wary, as other commenters have said. http://livingmaxwell.com/naked-juice-lawsuit-settlement-details-shameful-truth

Megan @ The Skinny-Life April 3, 2014 at 11:44 am

What an amazing story! It’s insprining how some people have so much courage do to something new and for a good reason too.

Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats April 3, 2014 at 12:57 pm

I absolutely love this idea! There is a SOME (So Others May Eat) near me in DC, but it’s more of a traditional soup kitchen. I love that SAME is available to everyone and focuses on fresh foods!

Cheri @ Overactive Blogger April 3, 2014 at 2:24 pm

What an incredible concept! That is so wonderful, and there’s a special place in heaven for these folks!