• Last Week’s Workouts {32 Weeks}

April 13, 2014

I’m still trucking along with my workouts!

My energy levels are all over the place, so some days I’m all about CrossFit and other days I’d much rather lay on the couch. On those days, I’ll typically take Murphy for a long walk. Once I’m up and moving, I always feel a lot more energized. That said, here’s a recap of last week’s workouts!

Sunday: Off

Monday: CrossFit

Monday’s WOD was painful.

photo (19) (480x640)

Check this out…

“Triple Play”
    AMRAP 3:
    5 Thrusters (135, 95)
    10 Kettlebell Swings (53, 35)
    Rest 2 minutes
    AMRAP 3:
    7 Thrusters (115, 75)
    10 Kettlebell Swings (53, 35)
    Rest 2 minutes
    AMRAP 3:
    9 Thrusters (95, 65)
    10 Kettlebell Swings (53, 35)

L3: (115, 85) (95, 65) (85, 55)
    L2: (95, 75) (75, 55) (65, 45)
    L1: (75, 45) (65, 35) (55, 25)

Score = TOTAL cumulative reps from all 3 AMRAPs

Basically, it was 3 mini workouts with heavy Thrusters and Kettlebell Swings… and you go all out since the AMRAP is so short. The weight for the Thrusters decreases, but the number of reps increases, which you’d think would make this workout a little easier as it progressed, but it seemed to do just the opposite. Just about everyone in class was struggling with this one!

I used the L3 weights for the Thrusters (85 pounds, 65 pounds, 55 pounds) and finished with 102 reps. Heavy Thrusters kill me! GAH! SO HARD!

After class, I did 100 Wallballs for the April Challenge (and because I’m crazy). I’ve done a total of 280 Wallballs for the month so far, and I don’t know how the heck I’m going to get to 1,000?!

Tuesday: CrossFit

photo (17) (640x480)

Wednesday: 45-minute pug+podcast walk

Thursday: 2-mile doggie date/walk + CrossFit

My belly is officially too big for Power Cleans, so I did deadlifts instead for this workout. (I love complexes!) I used 55 pounds (L3) and finished 4 rounds in 9:08 with no Burpee penalties.

“R2D2”
    4 Rounds of Complex:
    8 Hang Power Cleans
    8 Front Squats
    8 S2OH
    8 Back Squats
    8 Bent Over Rows

Rest as needed between complexes.

This is a barbell complex, meaning that the goal is to keep the barbell in your hand for all 40 reps. One complex = 8 hang power cleans + 8 front squat + 8 S2OH + + 8 Back Squats + 8 bent-over row). If you drop at any point, it is a 3 Burpee penalty to be performed post WOD.

Rx: (95, 65)
    L3: (85, 55)
    L2: (75, 45)
    L1: 5 reps of each movement @ (65, 35)

Friday: 60-minute pug+podcast walk

Saturday: Off

What was the toughest workout you did last week?

Samantha @ The Faithful Runner April 13, 2014 at 11:08 am

Great job! I love doggie dates. :) My hardest workout was a 4ish mile trail run up and them back down a giant hill in my city. So much fun though!

Alyssa @ Lyss The Nutritionist April 13, 2014 at 11:15 am

Pug and Podcast walks sound fun :) I didn’t really have any tough workouts, just a bunch of moderate ones. Although I am getting into lifting, and I tried deadlifting for the first time this week!

Julie @ Coastal Runner Girl April 13, 2014 at 11:45 am

That’s awesome you’re still keeping up with crossfit workouts!! :)

I’m 24 weeks pregnant so my workouts last week were mostly walk/jogs… nothing too challenging, unfortunately!

Chrissy April 13, 2014 at 11:57 am

Saturday’s WOD was pretty tough. 400m run, 20 pullups, 400m run, 30 wallballs, 400m run, 40 kettlebell swings, 400m run, 30 wallballs, 400m run, 20 pullups, 400m run. Usually I feel energized after a WOD but after that one, I was exhausted!

Megan @ TheSkinny-Life April 13, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Toughest workout for me was running 9 miles. I’m working back up to my pre-injury mileage. Thankfully, I kept working out through my injury to maintain my fitness. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be otherwise. I’ve been considering trying crossfit. What made you decide to do crossfit? It sounds like you really love it.

Andrea April 13, 2014 at 2:45 pm

My toughest workout was my 10 mile race yesterday. :) My calves are feeling sore today–probably all the hills on the course–but the race actually went really well. Nice job on the workouts! You’re totally right that once you get up and get moving you feel more energized.

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun April 13, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Great week! The toughest from last week was probably my tempo workout on monday, even though it was tough it was a lot of fun though!

Shel@PeachyPalate April 13, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Thrusters with that weight are HARD! I can barely do 10 reps with 55lb..anything more and I’d fall over!!! I did our 1000 rep kettlebell challenge last Saturday in the gym with 72 others and felt ok after but then I did a kettlebells class on Monday morning and pretty much died!!! 3 WODS in one class..no were near as tough as yours but I did find lifting a water bottle tough work for two days after!

April April 13, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Definitely can relate with pregnancy energy and crossfit! I did “death by back squats” on Thursday and I am STILL sore (it’s Sunday)!

Annette@FitnessPerks April 13, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Way to go–rockin’ that pregnancy strong!

Hardest workout was yesterday–launching (taught) the brand new BodyPump release. It was tough!

Aly@herecomeshappiness April 13, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Nice work keepin up on crossfit this late in pregnancy, you’ll be so glad you did once baby arrives! My hardest workout was a 3 mile hilly run, still feeling it and it was a few days ago.

Elise April 14, 2014 at 1:10 am

One would think id say my 20 mile training run Saturday, but the hero wod “Bradley” on Wednesday at my box was definitely the toughest.
    You rock, Tina! Love reading about your journey :)

Ella April 14, 2014 at 2:39 am

TINA! Who are you?! I find myself wondering that a lot when you post crossfit workouts. I have been going for just a few months myself, and it’s so awesome, but sooo hard! You, you are a BEAST! I have so much respect. I’ve had two kids and might go for a third so I guess I will see if I can be like you when pregnant and crossfitting. Amazingness!!

Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork April 14, 2014 at 7:09 pm

I am continually impressed with your workouts regardless of being pregnant or not. To anyone out there doubting if they can keep up their routine during pregnancy, you are a great example that you can!
    My tough workouts lately have been my runs! I’m slowly coming back after nearly a year’s worth of injuries and even though I kept up my cardio during my time off, there’s nothing like running to make you feel like you’re out of shape.

Joanna April 16, 2014 at 12:51 pm

I’m sure you have probably addressed this somewhere else but I’m curious (for my own pregnancy) what, if any, guidelines your doctor gave you about exercise during pregnancy. It’s really inspirational to see you still kicking ass at Crossfit every week :)

Tina April 16, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Her advice was pretty simple and straight-forward. She said stop anything that is uncomfortable! :) I’m actually planning to write a post about CrossFit and pregnancy soon. Keep a look out for it on CNC!