• Toasted Almond Butter & Marmalade Sandwich with Turkey Bacon

March 19, 2014

I saved the best for last! This recipe for a Toasted Almond Butter & Marmalade Sandwich with Turkey Bacon is one of my favorite recipes from my “Lighten Up Cozy Comfort Foods” that I created for the Almond Board of California.

This quick and easy meal is a fun twist on your regular, old peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and I promise it’s even more delicious. Made with low-calorie whole wheat bread, turkey bacon, creamy almond butter, and orange marmalade, it won’t wreck your diet either. This warm, melt-y, and satisfying sandwich is less than 350 calories!

Toasted Almond Butter & Marmalade Sandwich with Turkey Bacon

Serves 1

Ingredients

• 2 slices turkey bacon
    • 2 slices low-calorie whole wheat bread (approximately 45 calories per slice)
    • 1 tablespoon creamy almond butter
    • 1 tablespoon orange marmalade

Directions

Cook turkey bacon as directed.

Meanwhile, spread almond butter on one slice of bread and marmalade on the other.

When turkey bacon is finished cooking, add it to sandwich.

Toast sandwich in a toaster oven until bread is lightly browned and almond butter is slightly melted.

Serve immediately.

I created this recipe for the Almond Board of California; check out my other delicious, comfort food remake recipes here: Almonds.com/TinaHaupert.

Jessica March 19, 2014 at 8:37 am

This looks yummy! Can you tell me your favorite brand low calorie wheat bread? I Have yet to find one that has any flavor. So I resort to having the yummy bread that is 110 calories, open faced. Which is way less fun than a real sandwich, KWIM?

Tina March 19, 2014 at 9:15 am

@Jessica: I used one from Trader Joe’s for this recipe, and it was good!

Caitlin March 19, 2014 at 11:11 am

@Jessica: Hi Jessica, I thought I would chime in because I use low calorie bread as well. I use Sarah Lee 45 calorie bread and I love it! Prior to discovering it, I used Sandwich Thins made by Arnold or Thomas. I think that Sarah Lee has a much better taste and is more like traditional bread than the which thins, which is why I made the switch.

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats March 19, 2014 at 8:58 am

I’d probably choose a different flavor jam (maybe raspberry?) but I love the idea of adding turkey bacon, I bet it goes wonderfully with almond butter!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun March 19, 2014 at 8:58 am

Yum!! This looks delicious!

Becky @ Olives n Wine March 19, 2014 at 9:11 am

I don’t think I ever would have thought to put bacon on a PB&J! Genius idea and it looks perfect for a brunch!

Anna @ ThatDAMMRunner March 19, 2014 at 9:23 am

I can’t get over how good that looks!!! I may have to make it for dinner :)

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat March 19, 2014 at 9:42 am

OMG…my mouth is watering right now! What a delicious combination!

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat March 19, 2014 at 9:42 am

OMG…my mouth is watering right now! What a delicious combination!

Linz @ Itz Linz March 19, 2014 at 9:53 am

almond butter and bacon? interesting….. i would have never thought to put those two together and i’m not sure it sounds super appealing… though sometimes those random combinations make for the best flavors!

Shel@PeachyPalate March 19, 2014 at 9:59 am

LOVE almond butter with blackcurrant jam! I’m a veggie but a good savoury addition is a fried egg and some smashed avocado! Yummers!

Elizabeth {Positively Healthy} March 19, 2014 at 9:59 am

I might just have to go make breakfast again! This looks awesome!

Megan @ Meganmumbles March 19, 2014 at 10:15 am

This looks so good! I never thought to put almond butter with Turkey Bacon!

Ali March 19, 2014 at 10:17 am

That sounds delicious! Sweet and savory.

Kelby March 19, 2014 at 10:31 am

Oh my gosh. This sandwich looks amazing! Turkey bacon inside any sandwich is a good idea in my book!

Allie March 19, 2014 at 10:32 am

OMG!!! Need this in my life right now. If I can make a paleo bread, then this is happening!

Megan @ The Skinny-Life March 19, 2014 at 11:09 am

This sounds great! I never would have thought to pair turkey bacon with nut butter. I cannot wait to try!

sally @ sweat out the small stuff March 19, 2014 at 11:10 am

wow! sweet and savory! I.MUST.TRY.THIS.ASAP!!!

megan @ that running girl March 19, 2014 at 11:19 am

This combo is one of my all-time favorites. The combination of salty/sweet is incredible!

Ashley @ A Lady Goes West March 19, 2014 at 11:36 am

Good one! I eat a lot of PBJs and whenever I take the time to toast the bread, instantly it seems more special. Thanks for sharing … I’m pretty sure I could make this for my husband for a dinner and he would be excited.

Lisa @ runnermamablogger March 19, 2014 at 12:00 pm

That sounds so delicious! Can’t wait to treat myself and make it.

Abi@AbsofSteel March 19, 2014 at 12:45 pm

yummm, bacon and nut butter plus marmalade sounds like a great salty sweet combo!

Ashley March 19, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Oh sweet lord this sandwich reminds me of one of my favorite sandwiches I’ve EVER tried back when I lived in Chicago. I need to try this one out!

Kelsey at The Primal Yogi March 19, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Yum!! I would love to try this with Grain-free sandwich bread from http://www.againstallgrain.com!

Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork March 19, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Sounds yummy! A nice little savory/sweet combo that’s a different take on the PB&J. Thanks for sharing!

Jackie March 19, 2014 at 2:03 pm

What a fun combo!

Livi March 19, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Yum! Can’t wait to try this with some Udi’s gf bread!

Samantha @ The Faithful Runner March 19, 2014 at 3:11 pm

This looks DELICIOUS! Soooo what I’m needing tonight. Thanks for sharing.

Kel March 19, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Assembly this sandwich, butter both sides, then press in a waffle maker. Don’t question; just do!

Alissa March 19, 2014 at 9:58 pm

I never would’ve thought to put bacon with a pb&j. Will def have to try this out!

Jamie @ Dishing Out Health March 20, 2014 at 7:45 am

Very interesting (and enticing) combination! I definitely need to give this a shot. I love the combo of savory and sweet.

Angie August 15, 2014 at 9:55 am

wow, I was looking for something to make for breakfast this morning before work. We were out of eggs and did not have much in the fridge so I searched online for almond butter and this came up. It just so happened I had some marmalade and turkey bacon but had never thought to put them together, especially not with almond butter. I made this sandwich and not only is it delicious, it’s very filling. I was not able to finish the whole thing. I was satisfied and I did not feel like I undid my whole day with an unhealthy breakfast. Thank you!