• Nursery Notes & Inspiration

March 11, 2014

Hi, guys!

We’re finally starting to make some progress in Baby Haupert’s nursery! Yay! The walls are all painted, so now we’re looking to buy furniture, décor, and other furnishings, which, of course, is the most fun part. I’ve been pinning all sorts of stuff onto my Nursery Ideas board on Pinterest, so I thought it would be neat to share some of our inspiration here on CNC. Enjoy!

Colors: We’re leaning toward gray and white with accents of green, blue, and orange

Simple

(Some) zoo animals

carter's_zoo_animals

Baby Boy Nursery Art for Boys Room Decor, Baby Boy Gift for Boy, Boys Wall Art for Boy Nursery Decor Playroom Boys Art Elephant - Four 8x10. $50.00, via Etsy.

A dresser than doubles as a changing table

Project Nursery - Rustic and Contemporary Nursery Changer

Cube shelf with Storage Bins

Tall corner shelf for extra storage

7b58c72fcdcb59d420f9a642da37fec2

Wall library

Project Nursery - Gray Striped Orange and Aqua Nursery Ikea Book Ledges

Dog and pug décor (obviously)

The dog alphabet is the best kind. (And this would be super cute in a nursery!) $19

All You Need is Pug

Some notes:

• The nursery isn’t very big, so we’re doing our best to find pieces that have multiple purposes to give us as much space as possible (i.e. dresser + changing table, shelf with storage, etc.)
    • Mal and I both love animals and we want Baby H. to love them too, which is why we want to include some in our nursery décor, but we definitely don’t want to have a zoo-themed nursery.
    • I love these curtains from Crate & Barrel, but I am hoping to find something similar at a lower price point. I’m not sure I’m ready to drop $200 on curtains.
    • To save a little money, we’re repurposing a couple of pieces of furniture from other parts of our house, including a rug and a chair from IKEA.

GISLEV Rug, low pile IKEAPOÄNG Chair IKEA The cover is easy to keep clean as it is removable and can be machine washed.

• We painted the walls of the nursery a light gray to brighten up the space and make it seem a bit bigger. The color is “Polished Silver” from Valspar. I love it.

• We had an overhead light installed this past weekend since the nursery doesn’t get a ton of natural sunlight, except for in the early morning. It already makes a great addition to the room!
    • We also went to IKEA to buy a crib, dresser, and small cube shelf. We still need to set it up, but I can’t wait to see the nursery finally start to come together!

So, those are our plans for the nursery so far—more to come in the coming weeks!

Kristin March 11, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Love the first inspiration picture! I have some friends who put that rug in their nursery too and love it. :)

Katie D. March 11, 2014 at 1:03 pm

I’m 23 weeks and we aren’t finding out the gender, but the nursery is going to be gray with green, orange and yellow. We can add a few “girly” accents if needed :)

Also, we are going for the dresser/changing table route too. Its a small room and I highly doubt that I’ll tote the baby upstairs just to use the changing table. I’ll probably change it on the floor in the main living area or on the dresser in the middle of the night!

Dana March 11, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Ahhh! You have picked some very cute things. I love the very first photo the most. The gray, light blue, orange combo. Enjoy selecting everything.

Suzanne March 11, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Hi Tina,
    I used this duvet cover from Target to make curtains for my son’s nursery. Just wash it, cut lengthwise and use no-sew iron-on hem tape to hem so the edge is nice. Put them up with rings & clips on the curtain rod. So easy! So cheap!

Tina March 11, 2014 at 1:39 pm

That is genius!!

Breanna March 11, 2014 at 2:12 pm

We have an overhead light and fan in my son’s room too (7 months old). Here’s my best advice – if you haven’t already have Mal install a dimmer switch for the light. The worst thing is going in there in the middle of the night and either searching for a floor lamp or turning on the incredibly bright overhead. I installed one after a few months and wish I would have done it sooner :)

Tracy March 11, 2014 at 11:00 pm

@Breanna: @Breanna: that’s a great idea. I have three little ones, another idea is a night light or light up stuffed animal to add just enough light for nighttime changing/feedings.

Sarah @ Sweet Miles March 11, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Great idea above to install a dimmer! Genius! I love your nursery inspiration!! Grey is always a perfect wall color, so neutral and easy to dress up and down!

Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit March 11, 2014 at 2:40 pm

I love the color choices you are going with! The very first picture with different colors and patterns is adorable!

Jackie March 11, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Lov

Ali March 11, 2014 at 3:02 pm

I love the color scheme and the zoo animals. We did the zoo animals in Aiden’s room too, but I wish we have picked brighter colors like you’re doing. I also love that tall corner wall shelf too!

Julie @ A Better Life with Burgers March 11, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Cute ideas! I think we’ve pinned a lot of the same stuff on Pinterest because we’re doing grey and orange (gender-neutral, since it’ll be a surprise) and we’re going with elephants, hippos, and rhinos for our “theme”. I’m excited to move into our new place this month to get started!

Rebeka March 11, 2014 at 5:17 pm

Looks like you guys are making some good progress on the nursery! You haaaave to check out these baby animal prints, they’re the cutest ever: http://joannagoddard.blogspot.com/2013/03/q-with-animal-photographer-sharon.html

Delaney March 11, 2014 at 5:30 pm

I love the first color combo: Grey, orange, green and blue. You must incorporate pug art into the theme : )

Georgia March 11, 2014 at 6:12 pm

How exciting! One thing that never crossed my mind was baby bedding. I just bought expensive bedding. And of course, babies never use the blankets in there- it’s only decorative. With baby number two we just got cute chevron sheets, a mesh breathable “bumper” and nothing else.. and I love it! I can’t wait to see how yours ends up!
    Georgia

Amanda Hoff March 11, 2014 at 7:37 pm

We also just finished painting our nursery as well. I am 30 weeks already and had been freaking out that we hadn’t done anything yet. My husband kept assuring me that it would get done before the baby arrives, and he was right. He pulled through for me. We don’t know the sex of our baby so we decided to do something really fun with the room. We ended up painting the walls a dark grey and painted all of the trim (yes, all the trim!) a very neon green. When the baby is born we will paint the door either bright pink or bright red and my brother is going to tag the babies name on the wall in either boy or girls colors once baby arrives. We are going for a splatter paint/skater theme. Different, yes. Next up is putting that dang crib together!

I noticed you mentioned that you put in an overhead light in the nursery…we did the same thing and I made sure to purchase a light dimmer switch as well. I figured this would be really nice and convenient for when I have to wake up in the middle of the night and I won’t want to have a bright light shining on my sleepy eyes. Congrats on your nursery!

Emily @ Life on Food March 11, 2014 at 7:52 pm

I love the things you have picked out so far. Baby stuff is so cute. I am really looking forward to decorating a nursery soon.

Kelsey March 11, 2014 at 8:15 pm

I can’t wait to see the finished nursery!! I spotted these curtains and think they look similar to the crate and barrel ones – and they’re cheaper!

Pam March 11, 2014 at 8:22 pm

I had pinned your first picture when I was pregnant, and we did our walls the exact same way! Grey walls, blue ceiling, white molding – bringing the blue down the wall totally makes the ceilings look higher than they really are! Gotta love pinterest!

Amanda March 11, 2014 at 9:17 pm

I love your color scheme ideas. I usually hate blue and orange together but these all look soooo good. Now I want to redecorate my room!

Purelytwins March 11, 2014 at 9:54 pm

love all your ideas!! pinterest can be cruel like that haha throwing all these great ideas :)
    can’t wait to see the final room it’s going to be beautiful!!

Danica @ It's Progression March 11, 2014 at 9:56 pm

I absolutely love the color scheme you’ve chosen! And doubling the dresser as a changing table is definitely the way to go.

natalie@thesweetslife March 11, 2014 at 10:25 pm

our nursery ended up being very similar to the colors you mentioned! Here’s my post with details :)

Have so much fun decorating!! Our nursery is def my favorite room in our house ha

Abby March 11, 2014 at 10:28 pm

I have a two month old little boy and we purchased most of the furniture from ikea. I am still deciding on curtains but have had my eyes on the same ones from Crate & Barrel, but can’t muster up the courage to buy them for knowing they will get dirty from curious fingers, so I plan to paint stripes on white blackout curtains. I bought the Poang chair too and HATE it (I’m trying to get my husband to agree to a hideous glider). It’s really hard to get out of once the baby falls asleep, and it moves when I attempt to get up with him in my arms, he wakes up, and we’re back to square one… I’m 5’2 so maybe that is why I have such a hard time with it. I love the chair for reading, not for rocking/feeding a baby.

Mimi March 11, 2014 at 11:12 pm

So excited to see these great choices! Love them all Don’t know how you’ll choose.

Suzanne March 12, 2014 at 7:06 am

Love the color combo! Have fun decorating :)

Nikki March 12, 2014 at 8:51 am

I am 24 weeks pregnant with a boy and we have a Finding Nemo theme.

Catherine March 12, 2014 at 1:09 pm

I have those curtains in my living room, and while I love them, there have been some really great ideas posted about how to get that look without splurging. I am a little obsessed about keeping the white stripes looking clean (from touching them to open and close them every day), so I don’t know what I’m going to do when I have a kid soon and he/she accidentally gets marker on them, or whatever! I think that going for a less expensive curtain for a child’s room is a great idea, even though these curtains are one of my favorite splurges ever! :)

Melanie March 12, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Hi Tina! Such adorable rooms!! We used a new dresser from Ikea as the changing table too – just put a changing pad on top. Works very well!

I found reasonable curtains at potterybarn kids – they are blackout curtains which has been great for naps and now again since so light in the evenings at bedtime.

Great call on the overhead light! My son is 15 months and I just purchased one – he was pulling on the floor lamp and was too risky so it has to go!

Such great ideas! Your baby’s room is going to be amazing!

Melanie March 12, 2014 at 3:41 pm

There actually is a good tutorial on young house love on making curtains for a nursery – if you want to make them yourself.

Pam March 12, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Love the colors! What a sweet nursery :)