• Last Week’s Workouts {29 Weeks}

March 22, 2014

So, I guess last week was just a blah week for my workouts because I felt a whole lot better this week. I had plenty of energy and basically felt like my old self—minus, of course, the extra 30 pounds on my body! Haha!

Sunday: Off

Monday: 2-mile dog walk + CrossFit

Kerrie and I took Bentley and Murphy to the dog park to let them run out some of their doggie energy.

Bentley and Murphy

And then I headed to CrossFit for this workout:

Luck_of_the_Irish_WOD_from_CrossFit_781

I scaled the crap out of this one, but I was still SO SORE the next day (holy quads)! I scaled the Thrusters to 45-pounds, did Squat Thrusts instead of Burpees and Kipping Knee Raises for the T2B. I flew through the workout and finished in just over 7 minutes.

Tuesday: CrossFit

Chest-to-Bar Pull-ups won’t happen again until Baby Haupert arrives, so I scaled to regular (unassisted) pull-ups and reduced the number of reps to 5. I had planned to do 10 reps per round, but it was taking me a lot longer than expected to get through them. The max number of pull-ups I can string together nowadays is 3 reps and, as soon as I start feeling fatigued, that number quickly drops to two or one rep at a time. Long story short, doing 5 reps per round made a lot more sense. I finished this workout in 12:29.

“Johnny Chimpo”
    5 Rounds, as fast as possible of:
    10 Chest to Bar Pull-ups
    20 Sumo Deadlift High Pull (53, 35)
    30 Double Unders

Wednesday: SoulCycle + CrossFit

I got my SoulCycle on Wednesday afternoon (review here) and then headed to CrossFit for a workout.

I had no intention of doing a double workout on Wednesday, but by the time I got home and took Murphy for his afternoon walk, it was almost 4:00 PM. I was still in my workout clothes and wasn’t really tired after SoulCycle, so I hopped in the car with Mal and went to CrossFit. Plus, the WOD was one that you could easily push yourself or go as easy as you wanted.

“Said No One Ever”
    4 Rounds of the following:
    :30 Power Clean (95, 65)
    :15 Rest
    :30 Box Jump (24, 20)
    :15 Rest
    :30 Push up
    :15 Rest
    :30 Overhead Squat (95, 65)
    :15 Rest

I scaled the Power Cleans and Overhead Squats to 55 pounds and did banded push-ups (pictured below). I can’t do regular push-ups anymore and my belly gets in the way if I do them on my knees, so banded pull-ups are a great option for pregnant ladies. They’re also awesome if you just want to work on proper push-up form. I know a lot of people do the “worm” when they start to get tired, so the band helps you keep your form. I’m always super sore after doing banded push-ups because you can’t cheat on your form at all, so I get a really good workout.

You can either place the band right below your sports bra strap (pictured below) or at your hips (pictured above). Both options work, but if you’re someone who does the worm, I’d go with the hip option to give your core a little support.

Thursday: Off

Friday: CrossFit

Open WOD 14.4 was a smoker! And I didn’t even do the 50 Toes-to-Bar! (I scaled them to Kipping Knee Raises.) I got through the super heavy, 95-pound cleans with 12 seconds to spare, so I was more than happy. 14.4 is definitely a good one! I had “CrossFit Cough” all night! Ha!

“Open WOD 14.4″
    AMRAP 14:
    60 Calorie row
    50 T2B
    40 Wall Balls (20, 14)
    30 Power Cleans (135, 95)
    20 Muscle-ups

Saturday: Off

How were your workouts last week?

Maryea {happy healthy mama} March 22, 2014 at 10:24 am

I had a good workout week, too. You are one fit pregnant lady! Love it. :)

Emily @ The Swallow Flies March 22, 2014 at 10:51 am

My workouts were less-than-stellar this week, and I’m super embarrassed about it. I have THREE half marathons coming up, and I need to get my butt in gear! Eeeeeeek!

Becky @ Olives n Wine March 22, 2014 at 10:55 am

You had a full week of workouts! I am still sore from the new Body Pump release I did on Thursday night so instead of heading to my typical BP this morning, I’m going to try out a new kettle ball class at my gym this afternoon. Have a great weekend!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun March 22, 2014 at 10:58 am

You are doing so awesome! seriously – I need to try out Crossfit but am always so scared to just find somewhere, walk in and try it. Is that crazy!? I need to find a CrossFit buddy who will go with me !

Kendall March 22, 2014 at 11:18 am

Your blog makes me want to try CrossFit so bad! My school actually offers classes at the local CrossFit gym, so I could try it without membership (it is part of my steep tuition, may as well get my moneys worth haha)

Anel March 22, 2014 at 11:51 am

My workouts consisted mostly of running and yoga. I have made the decision to start some lifting. It really makes the difference, and now that I don’t do it as often, I feel it.

Zahra@MusicandMarathons March 22, 2014 at 11:52 am

How long did it take you to be able to do a pull-up. I cannot do even one. I want to start cross fit, but I am intimidated and I think that I will never be able to do some of the exercises.

Tina March 22, 2014 at 12:06 pm

A regular pull-up didn’t take long, but it took me a good 6-7 months to figure out kipping pull-ups.

Ilo March 22, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Your workouts put me to shame… congrats! my workouts are way more … relaxed I’d say. Love reading your blog, thank you!

sara March 22, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Ahh Bentley is so cute!!!

Nicole March 22, 2014 at 3:09 pm

I got in my first outdoor run of 2014 yesterday and was so happy to be outside in the fresh air. Paths are still messy and the lake is still full of snow and ice, but Spring is here!!!

Emily @onesouthernbelleonebigcity March 22, 2014 at 5:25 pm

I’m so impressed with your fit pregnancy. Any tips for a Crossfit beginner? I went to a “freebie” class last night and signed up for a six week introductory class/membership. I’ve been around gyms forever, but I’m still intimidated by Crossfit. I’d love some advice from a pro. :) TIA!

Corrie Anne March 22, 2014 at 6:28 pm

I’ve never seen banded push-ups as a scale, but now I need to try them!! I don’t have awesome form on them sometimes.

The 50 t2b in 14.4 sucked!!! They took me almost 7 minutes so I only got through 7 power cleans. Nice work!!

Sara @ fitcupcaker March 22, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Ive had crossfit cough all day today after doing 14.4. The TTB were def the hardest part by far!! Good job though with the scaling, and thanks for the push up modifications :) I always love to see what your doing so I know in the future!

Megan @ TheSkinny-Life March 22, 2014 at 9:10 pm

You’re inspiring me to try Cross Fit! You are one fit gal…pregnant and all! Keep it up!

Emily March 23, 2014 at 1:24 am

I had not heard of banded push ups. Good to know there’s a mod for that, Thank you for the tip!

Brittany @ Barr & Table March 23, 2014 at 2:25 am

I read a lot of blogs where people talk about crossfit but I think your posts make me want to try it most. I just found out there’s a box about 2 blocks away from me and am thinking about dropping in soon :-)

Jenn@ Mark My Miles! March 23, 2014 at 5:42 am

My workouts were okay this week, definitely hoping more motivation will come my way this week.

Kaitlyn March 23, 2014 at 6:14 am

14.4 was rough for me. I ripped pretty badly and struggled with the T2B, which really set me back on my time (any gymnastics movement is hard for me). But it’s okay, now I know what I’ve got to work on for next year! Always keep improving, right?

I’ve got to say, you are such an inspiration for keeping up with CrossFit and staying so active while pregnant, Tina. Baby Haupert has one fit mama! Keep up the awesome work.

Simi @ themicroharvest.com March 23, 2014 at 9:08 am

Way to go Tina! You are rocking your workouts. What a lucky little guy to have a mama who takes such good care of her body & his!

Livi March 23, 2014 at 11:01 am

You are rocking your workouts! Way to keep the fit pregnancy going!

Laura @ Mommy Run Fast March 23, 2014 at 11:01 am

Soul Cycle sounds awesome- I really want to try a class. And yay for still going strong! 30 weeks made me feel like I was entering the countdown mode. :) Exciting!

Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork March 23, 2014 at 11:22 am

It’s really impressive how much you are still able to do (though I’m sure it doesn’t feel like it). Thanks for showing the banded push-ups! I’ve never seen that before.

Workouts this week were pretty good until it came to Friday and Saturday (and potentially today) because I came down with my first cold in over a year. Not too bad, my body’s fighting it like a champ, but I feel like working out would be pushing it. May try an easy barre workout today.

Sarah March 23, 2014 at 1:38 pm

whenever I see pugs I think of your blog

Tina March 23, 2014 at 2:07 pm

😄

Karen - Fit in France March 23, 2014 at 4:05 pm

My workouts were ok. I spent too much time in heels and my foot was acting up, so I did not want to take the risk of running. Did weight lifting and went to the pool instead. Soul Cycle sounds interesting !

Aly @herecomeshappiness March 23, 2014 at 5:17 pm

I am so blown away by your workouts, isn’t it amazing how much harder everything is with more weight on your body? Even walking was difficult with me by the end and my baby stayed in my belly until 41 weeks. You will walk out of that hospital feeling light as a feather. My workouts this week were so-so, trying tog et back into running after having a baby and my calves and achilles tendons aren’t exactly overjoyed about it…Here’s to better workouts this week :)

Kim @ FITsique March 23, 2014 at 7:48 pm

Last week was a semi-rest week for me! I was feeling beat up all around and ended up taking a quick 3 day get away and focused on hiking and enjoying active rest type workouts! It was much needed and now I am ready to get back in the gym this week!

Danielle March 23, 2014 at 8:04 pm

I didn’t know about the banded push ups either but will definitely try those next time. Thanks for the tip!

I’m not even close with t2b so I spent most of 14.4 working on my kipping and got a lot better by the end. I ripped my hand for the first time and my coach said that I was an official CrossFitter now, lol.

Keep up the awesome work!
    xo,
    Danielle

Misty March 24, 2014 at 12:56 am

Yay for working out while pregnant! I’m 38 weeks along and I agree; it comes with its challenges for sure! Keep it up!

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape March 24, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Oh the crossfit cough! I hate when that happens but then again I guess it means we have worked hard and kicked ass! :-)

May have to speak to my coach about the banded push ups. I really struggle as my arms are so weak and my coach is often worried about my form and how it affects my lower back. Looks like a good option for building up the strength there.

Ashley March 24, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Way to kick it into gear for a great week of work outs!

Annette@FitnessPerks March 24, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Way to go fit mama!! :)

Annie Atherton March 25, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Love the push-up scale option! I have been doing CrossFit for over a year and have always struggled with scaling push-ups. Just last week my coach had me use J-cups and a bar across, so I was inclined, but unlike on a wall, I was able to achieve full range of motion. I think I might try banded next week though!