• Last Week’s Workouts {27 Weeks}

March 8, 2014

So, last week was the week that I finally (really and truly) scaled back at CrossFit. Up until now, I’ve pretty much been able to stick to my usual workouts with a few exercise modifications here and there, but now I am really feeling pregnant, especially now that I am officially in my 3rd trimester (what what!). My belly is big, awkward, and uncomfortable in certain positions, so I’ve finally decided to take it down a notch… a small notch, but still a notch! That said, here’s a recap of last week’s workouts!

Sunday: Off

Monday: CrossFit

Oh, “Jackie”… it’s one of the hardest CrossFit workouts in my opinion. I personally think it’s worse than “Fran” because of the rowing and how much longer it takes you to finish, but it’s still a “fun” one. Well, it’s not so fun when you’re pregnant, but I still survived it… slowly! Haha!

“Jackie”
    1000m row
    50 Thrusters, 45#
    30 Pull-ups

I scaled down the weight for the Thrusters to 35 pounds, but I did all of the pull-ups unassisted. I was the last person in class to finish, but, hey, I did all of the pull-ups, and I was pretty pumped about it! I finished in 12:21.

photo (20) (640x480)

Tuesday: Off

Wednesday: CrossFit

I really liked this workout! I love ascending rep counts for a little something different, but, of course, they’re brutal!

For this workout, I scaled my weight to 65 pounds for the Power Cleans and did Squat Thrusts instead of Burpees for the Burpee Box Jumps on a 20” box. Jumping is definitely getting more challenging, but I take each jump slow and steady. I usually take an extra step closer to the box before I jump, just to make sure I don’t trip. I finished 14 + 4 for this workout.

“Anna Mae”
    AMRAP 12:
    Perform the following two movements in an ascending ladder, by 2:
    Power Cleans (135, 95)
    Burpee Box Jumps (24, 20)

L3: (115, 75)
    L2: (95, 55)
    L1: (75, 45), Box Jumps (no Burpee @ 20, 15)

This workout will begin with 2 PC and 2 BBJ, 4 PC and 4 BBJ, 6 PC and so on… Continue adding two reps every round until the clock runs out. Score = highest round + any extra reps.

Thursday: Spinning

I went to an hour-long spinning class with Kerrie. I definitely felt those box jumps from the day before when we were doing hills. Holy quad burn!

photo (24) (640x640)

Friday: CrossFit

Our box programmed Open WOD 14.2 for class, so I did my first (scaled) 2014 CrossFit Open workout.

Open_WOD_14.2

Chest-to-bar pull-ups just weren’t happening for me—I mean, they’re hard enough without an extra 28+ pounds on your body—so I did regular (unassisted) pull-ups instead. I did the Overhead Squats as prescribed (65 pounds) and finished 37 reps, just 3 shy of making it to the next 3-minute interval. Oh, well. It was still fun to participate in the Open!

Saturday: Off

CrossFit friends: How did 14.2 go for you? Tough WOD, right!?

Megan March 8, 2014 at 10:07 am

14.2…way worse than 14.1 but still kinda fun! I scaled (little less weight on OH squats, band with the pull-ups) since I opted not to signed up for the Open (definitely happening next year!) I made it through the first two rounds and was 14 reps shy of completing the third. Even with the scaling I am feeling it today! Quads, rear-end and shoulders are sore, sore, sore. Totally agree it was one tough WOD.

Livi March 8, 2014 at 10:11 am

You are doing such an awesome job! That little baby is going to come out doing squats and pull ups!

Sara March 8, 2014 at 10:15 am

I’m doing 14.2 today and I have no idea how I’m going to survive C2B because I still can’t do unassisted pull-ups! I’m not really worried though – I’ll just do my best. I’m still riding the high of getting my first double unders last weekend! Woot!

Abi@AbsofSteel March 8, 2014 at 10:30 am

I think it’s so awesome that you’ve managed to keep pullups unassisted so far. Even though you might have to scale other things that’s something that’s really impressive with the extra weight.

Aurora@Fitness is Sweet March 8, 2014 at 11:15 am

I’m doing it this morning! My goal is to just make it into the second round, although I’ll be doing assisted pull ups!

Tricia March 8, 2014 at 11:23 am

Good for you. The third tri kicks your ass!

Katie H. March 8, 2014 at 11:42 am

So impressed with your workouts! I am in week 14 and have been modifying my WODs like crazy. (However, I had to scale back my workouts just to get pregnant, so I wasn’t going into my pregnancy in tip-top shape.) I’m sitting out the Open workouts this year. However, I got to witness a lot of people going at it this morning. And dang, that looks like a KILLER workout.

Simone March 8, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Wow!! I’m so inspired. I’m fairly new to crossfit and got my first chest to bar pull-up this morning when I did 14.2! Actually, I got my first 7 — one before the workout and 6 on the clock. Pretty exciting!

Even though pregnancy is probably still a few years down the road for me, it is so awesome to see such a great example of a fit pregnancy. Keep it up! I’ll be revisiting these posts when it’s my turn :)

Lindsay March 8, 2014 at 1:01 pm

I am still just in AWE of your fitness spirit. You are such an inspiration. I am not even preggo and struggle through my workouts each week! Cheers to YOU, I always want to go conquer something after reading these posts!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun March 8, 2014 at 3:00 pm

I am awe of how awesome you are doing with crossfit during your pregnancy! You are my inspiration for sure one day when I start that journey :)

Shel@PeachyPalate March 8, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Everytime I read your workout catch up posts I’m blown away, you’re such an inspiration!!! I’m so inflexible still when it comes to overhead squat! Where you ever not able to do them and if so any tips on improving flexibility?

Rhiannon @ Bound to be a Buckeye March 8, 2014 at 3:12 pm

I’ve said this a million times, but you are so inspiring. Still doing box jumps and pull-ups, you rock girl. No matter if you finished first or last :)

Lizzy @ Fit Lizzio Fitness Blog March 8, 2014 at 3:45 pm

14.2 was much harder than it looked!! I didn’t do RX because I’m still new to crossfit and just not quite there yet. I used a 33 lb bar and did jumping pull-ups. I finished with 140 reps. Tough but fun workout!!!

Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom March 8, 2014 at 4:52 pm

I don’t know if you’ve seen this video, but I imagine that this is what Baby Haupert is going to be doing as soon as he’s out of the womb!

Tina March 8, 2014 at 5:03 pm

That is too cute!!

Kaitlyn March 8, 2014 at 6:06 pm

14.2 was rough! I had ONE more pull-up left to go before finishing the first round, and I ran out of time. I’m going to redo it tomorrow in hopes of getting that last pull-up in to buy myself three more minutes and hopefully some more reps. :)

Great job on the Open by the way!

Debbi March 8, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Amazing workouts Tina. I couldn’t keep up with you and I’m not pregnant!

gracekelle at leangirlsclub March 8, 2014 at 10:10 pm

I’m inspired and encouraged by your persistence and strength during your pregnancy. I hope to be there some day!

I know your baby (and your body) will thank you for it. Keep going and congrats!

Carolyn March 8, 2014 at 10:52 pm

Tina, are you able to row normally? Does your bump not get in the way?

Tina March 9, 2014 at 7:49 am

It’s a little uncomfortable if I row for a long time, but for usual CF workouts, it’s fine! 😄

Hilda March 9, 2014 at 12:06 am

Hi Tina,

I was wondering how long it took you to feel like part of your crossfit “community”. I am a shy person and have had a hard time feeling the community aspect at my box…enough so that I’m considering giving it up after 8 months at it. Any perspective or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Corrie Anne March 9, 2014 at 12:09 am

Nice work on Jackie & 14.2! Not easy workouts!! I’m doing the open and was sooo disappointed by the 14.2 announcement. But I did my first chest-to-bar pull-ups in a workout and scored a 33. It was a bummer to only get to work for 3 minutes. I want to do Jackie again now that I have kipping pull-ups! It hasn’t come up @ our box for a while.

Georgia March 9, 2014 at 4:19 am

Yay third trimester!!! It’s so exciting! Man, you are going to knock labor out of the park! Following along your pregnancy seems to be flying by! Mine always inched. Very very slowly like a one legged caterpillar. Maybe crossfit is the difference?

Tish March 9, 2014 at 7:56 am

I’m a newbie to the Open, so I attempted 14.2, but didn’t get a rep:)…Next year! I did however get smoked by a 37 week pregnant woman in the workout! She was amazing and I commend both of you for keeping it up throughout pregnancies:)

Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork March 9, 2014 at 9:09 am

Can’t believe you’re in your third trimester! Feels like just yesterday you told us you were pregnant! Congrats for staying as active as possible and taking modifications when you need to. I hope to do the same (some day). :-)

Megan @ The Skinny-Life March 9, 2014 at 9:35 am

Impressive workouts! I continue to be amazed. Did you have to do any modifications for spin class? I spin regularly and have had to make modifications for my foot injury.

Tina March 9, 2014 at 10:47 am

Nope, I just spin like usual! 😄

Chrissy March 9, 2014 at 6:29 pm

My coaches programmed a 14.2-”style” workout for everyone not registered so we could all have fun. It was the same style except 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, etc reps of everything instead of 10, 12, 14, etc. It was actually pretty easy until the 11 rep round and then it just shot way downhill! Haha.

Anel March 9, 2014 at 8:13 pm

30 pull ups is WAY more impressive than my barley one pull up hahahahahaha You are amazing!

Amanda @ MoveLoveEat March 9, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Awesome work! Box jumps are a killer even when you don’t have a bun in the oven ;)

Kate @ WildnWonderfulKate March 10, 2014 at 9:36 am

I cannot believe you do pull-ups while pregnant…you’re a beast! I can’t even do one…not preggers!

Jackie March 10, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Good luck with the rest of your workouts!

Renae @ MissFit Mixed Chick March 10, 2014 at 12:44 pm

I am impressed with all that you are still able to do during your third trimester. You are incredible.

Nicki March 11, 2014 at 9:42 am

Oh 14.2! I did it last Friday and got 3! Coaches and friends were pulling for me to get 20, as pull ups are relatively easy for me, even C2B. However, OHS at the Rx’d weight are HEAVY for me as that’s 75% of my BW. So the fact that I even got 1 was a PR, and then 2 more is awesome. Of course I was frustrated and wanted to get to the pull ups, so I can’t wait for my box to program it again and go for redemption. :) Way to go on being so close to finishing the first three minutes while PREGNANT!!

amrapCindy March 11, 2014 at 4:48 pm

Oh, chest to bar. I got 32 on 14.1. I flew through the first set 10s and thought I’d be able to make the cap but I had NOTHING when I got back to the pull up bar. I probably did 10 attempts, but they were no-rep after no-rep.

I was happy with the OHS, though!