• I Have 11 Random Things to Tell You

March 13, 2014

Hi, guys!

I left Vermont bright and early yesterday morning to beat the huge snow storm that they got there. At 8:00 AM, it was already snowing like crazy and the roads were a mess, so I’m glad that I headed out when I did. I heard they got 20 inches!

So, this post is going to be all over the place. I’ll have part two of my Ben & Jerry’s recap for you guys tomorrow, but, in the meantime, enjoy these 11 random tidbits!

I met Ben & Jerry! I’ll give you guys all of the details tomorrow, but it was definitely one of the highlights of the trip for me. I just had to tell you guys!

Ben_&_Jerry_

The sweet potato gnocchi from Trader Joe’s is absolutely incredible—definitely buy it! The Shepard’s pie from Trader Joe’s (according to Mal) is not so delicious—avoid it.

I ate scrambled egg whites with roasted sweet potatoes and turkey for breakfast yesterday morning and loved it so much. I never thought to add sweet potatoes to scrambled eggs, but it is definitely a flavor combination that I must recreate at home.

scrambled_egg_whites_with_roasted_sweet_potato_and_turkey_

I love my new CrossFit Endurance Training Hoodie from Reebok and wear it ALL of the time! Seriously, it’s the best. (I’m also really thankful that Reebok sends me gear in larger sizes. I’m getting BIG!)

Reebok_CrossFit_Endurance_Hoodie

I love all the little details on this top—a side pocket that zips, “Forging Elite Fitness” written down the back of the right arm, and “I will find more within myself” written along the forearm. I also love the “ghost cameo” pattern all over as well as the extra long fit. It is definitely a go-to piece for me!

Murphy and his big pug butt have crushed all of the throw pillows on the couch on our sun porch. It’s kind of funny and just plain adorable, so I let him get comfortable where he wants.

Murphy_is_the_weirdest

My sister and I are going shopping this weekend to find me something to wear to my baby shower in a few weeks. I can’t believe it’s coming up so soon!

I’m taking my first ever SoulCycle class next week, and I am so pumped. I hear the classes are amazing!

soulcycle

Ever since Mal and I went to IKEA this past weekend, I’ve been obsessed with organizing our house all IKEA-like and have spent way too much time on their website and Pinterest trying to get ideas. Is this all part of the nesting stuff? (Every time I type “nesting” I feel like I’m a bird or something.)

trip_to_IKEA

I bought a couple of these striped shower curtains from West Elm for the nursery thanks to your suggestions. They were a whole lot cheaper than the ones from Crate & Barrel! I hope they work!

One of my new favorite snacks is mixing cheese wedges from The Laughing Cow with sweet ingredients like honey and dried cranberries. I made these melba toasts the other day and they were so, so, so tasty! Just passing along the snack idea!

new_favorite_snack_-_The_Laughing_Cow_

The winners of the Doggie Dash entries are Betsy and Jayne! Congrats! Please email me at tina@carrotsncake.com to claim your prize. Don’t forget you can get $5 off your registration for the Doggie Dash with code carrotsncake!

Have anything random to tell me? Fire away!

sally @ sweat out the small stuff March 13, 2014 at 12:38 pm

my Facebook newsfeed scared me this morning as i saw posts about the NYC half in just 3 days and 16 days until the Love Run half and 6 weeks until the NJ Marathon and omg……I’m running a whole lot in the next 6 weeks!!!! It freaked me out.

Jenny March 13, 2014 at 12:48 pm

I’m jealous of your hamstring definition. That is all. :)

Nichole March 13, 2014 at 12:51 pm

I love that saying:
    “I will find more within myself”

Incredible!

Tracy Conklin March 13, 2014 at 12:54 pm

I am 43 years old and I just started my treatment plan with Invisalign. I had braces as a teenager but, as my wisdom teeth came in my teeth began crowding and aesthetically, it bothered me. I will have to wear the aligners for at least a year. I am really happy because unless I tell someone I am wearing them, you don’t notice they are there. An added bonus I have found to Invisalign is that I cannot snack as mindlessly as I normally do. I have to remove the aligners every time I eat and brush my teeth when I am finished. Now when I see snacks left out at work I think twice about whether it is worth all the trouble to have that snack!

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run March 13, 2014 at 12:57 pm

random posts are the best! so cool that you met B&J!

Rachel March 13, 2014 at 1:00 pm

I have also never done a Soul Cycle class and have been wanting to. Super excited to hear about your experience and I hope I get myself to one soon as well!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 13, 2014 at 1:04 pm

That’s so amazing that you got to meet Ben & Jerry! How cool!

Rhiannon @ Bound to be a Buckeye March 13, 2014 at 1:09 pm

I’m so going to try sweet potatoes with scrambled eggs!!

Jessica @ www.peasloveandhealthiness.com March 13, 2014 at 1:10 pm

I love putting sweet potato in my scrambled eggs! I discovered this one weekend when I was making an “everything but the kitchen sink” scramble (aka, throw in all my left overs). I also had some roasted broccoli and goat cheese… great combo!!

Stacy March 13, 2014 at 1:12 pm

I’ll be looking out of for your review on Soul Cycle. So please write one.
    I didn’t like it, in fact hated it :) but the instructor had LOTS of energy.
    I am a certified Spin teacher, for a few year and teach every week. We, as instructors, learn the science and bio mechanicals of the body. They just took it upon themselves to do a ‘party on the bike’ and make you believe you are ‘toning’ building strength by lifting 1 lbs weights w/ low restistance (no calorie burning there!) and all the tap backs, pushups, its INSANE. So while this looks like I’m bashing it..just saying its not a TRUE cycle/spin class. its just ‘fun’ and its a fad and they do make $$ from it! But if you want a REAL spin class where they add resistance and don’t fool you into doing all the UNSAFE things on the bike, take a class at a bigger gym, Equinox, etc. the Boutique studios might be doing unsafe stuff too. See they have celebraties taking their class so OF COURSE it looks appealing right? Anyway, because you are pregnant, I actually say don’t take it but if you do, be VERY careful. Even the stretching was unsafe. as you sit on the saddle and put one leg at a time, up on the handlebars. that’s NOT The way to stretch hamstrings! LOL

if anybody challenges this, i’ll be open to it , as I have many hrs of research and facts on this.

Cheers,

ps. I DID enjoy the B&J re-cap. Thinking of buying some this weekend!

Cate March 13, 2014 at 1:51 pm

@Stacy: So, I took my first SC class this past weekend and I have mixed feelings. I felt that for $30, the class should have been an hour, not 45 minutes. I did enjoy the music and the instructor was very upbeat. However, I didn’t understand the “push ups” or whatever they were… And crunches too, maybe? Also, I had no idea what my effort should have been – I don’t recall the instructor providing us with much guidance on tension or perceived effort (which is what I’m used to). I did end up sweating a ton (I sweat a lot anyway) and burning a good amount of calories, but it just wasn’t what I expected. I’ve actually had more challenging classes at my Y.

I am going to attend another class this weekend as I want to try another instructor which may change my mind.

PS – We didn’t stretch on the bike with one leg on the handlebars. We stayed on the bike to stretch upper body and our calves/hamstrings. We dismounted our bikes to stretch more, including our leg on the handlebar. As is the case with most classes, you do the stretching you’re comfortable with, but I can’t imagine it being safe having your leg on the handelbars while still in the saddle. Yikes!

And, Tina – Wegmans is next door to Soul Cycle – I can’t wait until it opens!

Stacy March 13, 2014 at 2:14 pm

HI Cate, well in my area the first class was just $20. I knew I wasn’t going to get a real workout, but going for professional reasons..as I blog about this w/other spinning peeps :)

I teach at the Y and give TONS of guidance of resistance. that is the whole point. not to use weights and slow pedal speed down. so stupid. did you wear a heart rate monitor to see actual calories burned? its was very hot in there(NO AC OR FANS ON) and that was deceiving into tricking us we ARE burning a lot but nobody was wearing a HRM. see, how do you KNOW for sure what you are burning?? its not realistic. ugh, I can go on and on. LOL

The so called pushups are STUPID!!!! they are not real. there is no resistance omg, don’t get me started. Its just fun and games to them. its not a REAL total body workout. that’s the thing. its all gimmicks. I’ll be surprised if TIna likes it, being that she works out hard at Crossfit but if you go just for FUN and not thinking you are getting a upper body work out, then so be it. but don’t be fooled. There is NO such thing as crunches on a bike! haha, totally insane. how about riding the bike like a BIKE and getting on the floor and give me 20 pushups and some crunches. now we are talking. but they are making $ and sadly..thats the bottom line. I keep it real on the bike and wish so many others would. thanks for your comments :) I normally don’t comment but on SC I had to. especially to someone that is pretty far along in preggers although they might want to take your $ and say its safe.

Tina March 13, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Why wouldn’t the workout be safe for someone who is pregnant?

Stacy March 13, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Tina, spinning itself is a GREAT safe workout for anybody and if you are preggers. but if you read what I was writing about the unsafe stuff that SC does, I dont’ recommend it…I’m certified in this. not B/S here

but take it and blog about it. I’m interested to see your take on it. :)

Stacy March 13, 2014 at 2:22 pm

they spin Very fast w/out resisance (SO UNCOOL)

but if you don’t follow along to every single thing then maybe you will be ok. It just irks me what they get away with. just being honest.

sara March 14, 2014 at 5:24 am

@Stacy: a new spin instructor at my gym does a bunch of push up and arm toning stuff and i hate it! Esp being 34 weeks pregnant now i cant lean over the handlebars like that. $30 for one class?? Holy moly

Stacy March 14, 2014 at 8:12 am

@sara, horrible. I wouldn’t do it. whats the benefit of pushups on the bike?? get on the floor and see the real benefits. lol
    its gimmicks~ so you think its FUN but a REAL instructor can make it fun w/out that nonsense. glad you see the light! :)

Cate March 14, 2014 at 10:47 am

@sara: @Stacy: You’re right, it was $20 for first time riders, but I didn’t see that until after I signed up and paid $30 (guess you have to call to get the first time rider rate – at least for the Chestnut Hill location). I did end up getting the $20 rate for my second class. I do want to try another instructor to see if that changes my opinion. I’m sure I still will find the “push ups” useless. :)

I used to take a class at Equinox that had you get on the floor and do pushups and planks, etc. then hop back on the bike. We repeated that a few times and it killed me!

I did wear my HRM and burned about 500 calories. No fans in your room? Yikes! We had fans, but they weren’t on – Until I turned the one on next to me. :)

I still continue to take my classes at the Y and get my butt kicked.

Shel@PeachyPalate March 13, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Sweet Potatoes and eggs are amazing…my favourite frittata add in! I’m loving blackcurrant jam, almond butter and fried eggs…amazing trio!

Cate March 14, 2014 at 10:48 am

@Shel@PeachyPalate: I eat my leftover sweet potato wedges with a fried egg on top. Add some hot sauce and it’s perfect! :) I actually had waffles topped with PB, maple syrup and fried eggs for dinner last night. Love the sweet/savory combo!

Erin March 13, 2014 at 1:23 pm

I have that same shower curtain in the grey/white…I LOVE it!! Good choice!!

Nicki March 13, 2014 at 1:34 pm

A few months back I had half a roasted sweet potato leftover so I cut it up and added to my scrambled eggs that morning…AMAZING! Can’t believe it took me so long to find that combination. Glad to hear you loved it, too!

Brynn March 13, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Your scrambled eggs look awesome!! I want to try and make them this weekend.

A random thing? I ate turkey taco lettuce wraps four times this week…and it is only Thursday. I’m obsessed.

Jackie March 13, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Murph cracks me up! Little dogs have such big personalities!

Becky@TheSavedRunner March 13, 2014 at 2:05 pm

I absolutely love putting sweet potatoes with my eggs! Perfect combo!

erica adrienne March 13, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Ooo where is there SoulCycle in Boston!? I heard that it isn’t coming to Boston for a little bit! I am eager to take a class.

Tina March 13, 2014 at 2:23 pm

There’s a new location in Chestnut Hill.

Stacy March 13, 2014 at 2:33 pm

THIS IS LONG, lots to read but just in case anybody was curious about SC
    NOW I’m not saying DONT DO IT! go, have fun!!! just be careful and know its not a real total body workout. and please blog about it!

If you are doing tap-backs or “lunges” (??) or bootiepops (I can only imagine what those might be, and anything “popping” on a bike is dangerous), then yes, you are foregoing safety. Period. The risk:benefit relationship is dramatically skewed towards higher risk. You have an obligation as a group fitness instructor to not place your riders at this much risk.

If you are doing crunches or pushups while sitting upright, then you do not know how the body works or how it gets stronger. These two moves probably won’t cause injury, it’s just ridiculous fluff that inhibits proper riding and has no benefit.

If you are lifting very light weights and saying you got “guns” from doing that, then you must have slept through (or probably more likely, didn’t even take) your exercise physiology class. Muscles don’t bulk up or get stronger from so little stress; that is not how the muscular system works. Repeated stress causes adaptations in the muscle fibers which cause them to repair, and in the process, become stronger. Challenging the muscle with a higher weight calls in a greater number of muscle fibers to do the work, fatiguing them in approximately 8-15 reps. The body is lazy, it will only activate the number of muscles fibers it needs to get the job done…and for such a small weight, that’s not very many. Lifting 1-3 lb weights does not call in the “troupes” (unless you’re seriously unfit or in your 90′s and can barely lift your arms, or you are rehabbing certain weak muscles). So even if you lift it 100 times 7 days a week, the other muscle fibers will be sitting back drinking a beer laughing at their peers because they’re not going to help out (and if you have put 2 + 2 together, that means they are not being stressed and no adaptation will occur). Now add some weight and a few more fibers will have to do some work. Add in enough weight to fatigue the muscle in 8-15 reps and even more fibers will have to get off their proverbial asses and help out. Boom! (as Jon Stewart says…)…NOW you’ve got stress and you’ll get adaptations if you keep repeating it a few times a week. So, I repeat, lifting such a small weight in almost all cases for fairly fit student will NOT cause the adaptations you want or need to gain strength.
    Telling students that pushups while upright will strengthen their triceps or chest is a lie. Telling them that crunching while sitting upright will improve their core is a lie. Part of the problem with this “other style of cycling” you are promoting is that so much of it is a lie to the students. The problem is, the public will believe anything you say. And those classes are perceived as “fun”, so they buy into the lie even more. The reason that I, and almost every other instructor in this forum, are so adamant about countering ineffective and unsafe techniques is that not only do we want to protect our own students, but we also want to protect our industry. Misinformation promulgated by the likes of your article (or the many studios pushing this type of classes) hurts the entire fitness industry. It especially hurts indoor cycling, REGARDLESS of what certification one has or bike is being ridden. Might you be genetically gifted to bulk up and give you “guns”? Yes, we know from exercise science that some people have a tendency to get fitter faster with weights, they’re called fast adapters. That may be you…but you’d still have to qualify for the stress:adaptation process I just described.

And lunges on a bike?? What the heck are those? I’ve heard of squats…but lunges? Either one could devastate the knees if the feet are pedaling anywhere from 20-100 rpm.

This is why indoor cycling instructors need more than just a “cycling certification”, and they need more than just a group fitness cert that barely scratches the surface. Neither gives them the science they need to know the truth and avoid the gimmicks. They need continual CED, not just on how to put music together or build a profile, but on how the body responds to exercise in order to increase aerobic fitness and muscular fitness

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance March 13, 2014 at 2:37 pm

I agree with some of the above comments that Soul Cycle is a lot of hype. I actually really really liked it before they were bought out by Equinox and had only three or four studios. After they were bought out it became a little pretentious and scene-y and I found that I get better workouts at other studios. I don’t really appreciate the attitude of “you have to earn a spot in the front row.” I paid over $30 for this ride, I bought my front row seat! But, I do think that they are getting more people interested in exercise, which is a really good thing. And they started a good trend, which I think has a lot of longevity.

Stacy March 13, 2014 at 2:38 pm

PS. I didn’t write the above article.

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun March 13, 2014 at 2:38 pm

I love Ikea! I can’t wait to move again so I have excuse to go there…I mean if you move you need to redo at least 2 rooms RIGHT?!

Alex @ Kenzie Life March 13, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Random: there’s a sandwich chain in the UK (they have them in NYC but they don’t have the same menu) called Pret a Manger (ready to eat) and they sell these mango cups with a lime wedge. Mango and lime is the most refreshing combo, so when I saw mango at TJs yesterday I had to get them and squirt some lime juice on them to bring for lunch. So amazing.

Tina March 13, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Mmm!

Cate March 14, 2014 at 10:51 am

@Alex @ Kenzie Life: I LOVE Pret a Manger! I had only been to NYC locations, but I believe they’ve recently opened in Boston.

Jade March 13, 2014 at 3:35 pm

When we were pregnant with our first, it was getting closer to the end, and I was crazy busy getting the house organized (I blame the hubby for being a pile maker). I was clearing everything away, stocking the pantry, folding miscellaneous stuff and the hubby was like “You are absolutely crazy today” and I responded “Well, I’m nesting” to which he burst out laughing as he had never heard that term before and assumed I was talking all bird like as well.

Jessica w March 13, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Our Master Shower has the Grey and White West Elm Shower Curtain and it is soo nice. It is a nice thick fabric that will be perfect as curtains!

Tina March 13, 2014 at 4:00 pm

That’s great to hear!

Ashley March 13, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Cutest preggo ever :) Love all the cool gear your getting — even if it only fits for a few months :)

ashley March 13, 2014 at 5:30 pm

First of all, I LOVE laughing cow and experiment with it all the time! I will have to try this. Second, I laughed out loud at Murph! The whole wording and picture just went so well together. I love him.

Christianne March 13, 2014 at 6:16 pm

The curtains are ADORABLE! You might want to look into a blackout liner or blackout blinds. It is very helpful when getting young children/babies to sleep, say in the middle of the afternoon for a nap, if the room is completely dark. Even as an adult I LOVE my blackout blinds and sleep MUCH better even though they do not completely block out the light (bc they are blinds and there are small gaps on the sides).

Megan @ The Skinny-Life March 13, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Eggs and sweet potatoes are something I do a lot for dinners. I love breakfast and especially eggs. Since I get up at 4:30 in the morning to workout, I don’t have time to make breakfast because I have a 40 minute communte. It’s usually fruit and granola. So I like to make breakfast for dinner a lot since I don’t get to enjoy it during the work week.

Kim @ FITsique March 13, 2014 at 7:12 pm

You are so cute! I love that Reebok top and all the little details. And two thumbs up for the TJ’s sweet potato gnocchi for sure. I just tried their organic frozen pizza crusts tonight and they also get two thumbs up! So good.

Tina March 13, 2014 at 7:32 pm

I love those pizza crusts!!

Sarah March 13, 2014 at 11:50 pm

Tina, TJ’s has another pot pie, its in the freezer section (with the pizzas or appetizers) and that one IS really good! That refrigerated one, not so much. Have Mal try that one next time you go away, it’s deelish!

Tina March 14, 2014 at 7:33 am

It was the frozen one. 😕

Theodora March 13, 2014 at 7:13 pm

1. You are the cutest pregnant person ever.
    2. I can’t wait for you to try Soul.
    3. I am bummed I can’t make your shower :(

Tina March 13, 2014 at 7:33 pm

❤️❤️❤️

RunEatRepeat March 13, 2014 at 7:18 pm

I wish I had cranberries right now to make that snack!!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake March 13, 2014 at 8:18 pm

A few of the spin instructors at my gym recently attended a SoulCycle class and have been incorporating some of the ideas into classes recently–I’ve been loving it!

Elizabeth {Positively Healthy} March 13, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Whenever I got to Ikea I always get the urge to start decorating as well! Random note: We just bought a new floor lamp and I kinda feel grown up! :)

Emily @ Emily Rocks the Road March 13, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Love random posts, they are always a fun read. Can’t wait to hear about SC, it sounds so fun!

I am so chomping at the bit for some spring cleaning and redecorating! I feel like I suddenly hate everything in my apartment and am ready for an overhaul!

Ellen Renee March 13, 2014 at 9:54 pm

I had a random lunch today and really enjoyed it…even thought of you when I was making it…LOL! I had bought a bag of broccoli slaw to make a slaw recipe for a meal I was making over the weekend..well life got in the way as it does sometimes and that meal did not get made. I was being all Tina like and not wanting it to go to waste so I decided to saute it with a bit of olive oil, jarred minced garlic and during the cooking I added a spoon of chili garlic sauce I have in the fridge. In the same skillet I cooked a black bean burger (I make my own and freeze them) to go with the broccoli…it was so good! I am going to start keeping that slaw mix on hand for a quick side..it was ready in less than 10 minutes. I think I will add some diced onions next time.

Jenn@ Mark My Miles! March 14, 2014 at 5:48 am

I think being pregnant and winter snow days are a dangerous combo…lots of time to “nest”. Heck, I’m even doing so and I’m not pregnant.

Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork March 14, 2014 at 7:41 am

That scrambies/sweet potato concoction looks delicious! And Murphy is too cute the way he sits on your pillows!

Can’t wait to hear about your experience at Soul Cycle. Which one are you going to? I’ve heard so much about them–people love it!

Sarahf March 14, 2014 at 8:14 am

It’s so cool that you met Ben and jerry! Random news? I was woken up by the earthquake alarm on my phone (it’s a new, and actually pretty awesome, system here in Japan) at 2am. Luckily, it was a small one, but the alarm nearly made me pee my pants! So loud!

Tina March 14, 2014 at 8:50 am

Whoa!!

Livi March 14, 2014 at 2:52 pm

I can’t believe you met Ben and Jerry! So jealous!!

Anel March 16, 2014 at 9:59 pm

Something random… My almost three month old pug has hit a potty training milestone; she rings the bell when she needs to go out! Whoooo!

Tina March 13, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Oh, ok! It didn’t sound unsafe to me, but I’ll keep it in mind!

Stacy March 13, 2014 at 2:26 pm

just be careful. its easy to believe the HYPE about it. believe me, as a consumer. but since I’m certified in this and read research and took a class..i just know right /wrong and just looking out for you. just craziness on a bike! lol. :) good luck!!