• What I Ate Tuesday & The Saddest Pug Face Ever

February 12, 2014

Hello, hello!

I haven’t done a daily eats post in ages now, so I decided to put one together for you guys this afternoon. I love seeing what other people eat and getting ideas for my own meals, so I hope you find these kinds of posts helpful too. If so, I’ll be sure to include them in CNC’s regular rotation in the future.

Breakfast

Yesterday’s breakfast was quick and easy: a warm almond butter, marmalade, and banana breakfast tortilla with a decaf almond milk latte. Mmm, it was a nice way to start the day.

Workout

After breakfast, I did a little work and then took Murphy for his morning walk. After that, I met Kerrie and Marisa for a spin class at CycleLife Studio. We tried out a new instructor yesterday morning, and she was really great—awesome music, motivating, and her instruction was a nice mix of hill climbs, sprints, and tempos.

photo (15) (640x480)

After class, the three of us swung by Marylou’s for some iced coffee. I went with the weekly special: Coconut Mocha Fudge. Obviously, it was delicious.

photo (16) (480x640)

Lunch

When I got home, I took a quick shower and then threw together lunch, which was a turkey burger with Light Garlic & Herb Cheese from The Laughing Cow, leftover risotto, and a sliced apple. (Only some of the apple is pictured because I snacked on the rest while I was waiting for lunch to cook. I was so hungry!)

IMG_7040 (900x675)_thumb

Snack

I spent the rest of the afternoon working and eventually took a break for a snack, which ended up being so, so, so delicious. Listen to this: I had roasted acorn squash with cinnamon, melted butter, Nikki’s macadamia nut coconut butter, and chopped walnuts inside. Holy yum!

I loved the gooey coconut butter mixture so much, I went back for a second serving of it, so I could eat it with the rest of my acorn squash.

I felt bad ignoring Murphy while I was working (I could tell he was itching to play), so I gave him his treat ball to entertain him.

photo (10) (480x640)

About 10 minutes later, I heard panicked whining coming from outside of my office. The pug had gotten his treat ball stuck behind some furniture.

photo (18) (640x480)

And what made him even more upset was the loose treats that he couldn’t get to. Oh, the horror!

photo (19) (640x480)

Isn’t this the saddest pug face you have ever seen?! I felt so bad for him.

photo (17) (640x480)

Of course, I helped Murphy get his ball and then gave him all of the loose treats. He was happy after that and continued to run all over the house (like a freak) chasing his toy.

Snack

Before dinner, I started to get a little hungry, so I snacked on some pitted dates and walnuts to hold me over.

Dinner

For dinner, I made Artichoke Lemon Pesto Chicken Pasta from PaleOMG, and it was awesome. I’ve heard a lot of people rave about this recipe, and, boy, were they right. (I de-Paleo-fied the meal by adding grated Parmesan on top, and I highly recommend it!)

Right before bed, I started to get my usual morning sickness/nausea/empty stomach feeling, so I ate a container of black cherry Greek yogurt with chocolate sprinkles, which is my new favorite treat.

If you had a human treat ball, what food would you put inside it?

I’d go with peanut M&Ms.

What are your favorite kinds of blog posts to read?

I love day-in-the-life posts, easy recipes, CrossFit-related posts, and funny/dog/pug posts.

I am an official brand advocate for Bel Brands in 2014. While I receive compensation for participation as a brand advocate, opinions are my own.

Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom February 12, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Mine would have dark chocolate pomegranates in it :)

Laurie February 12, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Murphy is the cutest! Did you make the turkey burger or did you purchase it form the grocery store? I am tying to find a good recipe to make turkey burgers.

Tina February 12, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Yep, it’s from Trader Joe’s!

cara February 12, 2014 at 7:10 pm

omg..no one cares what you ate today, is this your job?

Tina February 13, 2014 at 8:59 am

Actually, if you read the comments on this post, some people are interested in what I ate.

Please take your misery elsewhere. It’s not welcome on CNC.

Melisa February 13, 2014 at 9:44 am

@Tina:
    Well said Tina.

Britani Sidwell February 13, 2014 at 12:47 pm

@Melisa: For the record, Tina…reading your blog is one of the highlights of my day to day gring. I wait for a lull in my work just so I can see if you’ve posted something new. Also…you and pbfingers have helped me to become so much healthier than i have ever been before. I started reading in January 2013, and have since lost 15 pounds of the ever-lingering college and desk-life weight, and have SUCH a better handle on what i am putting in my body…BECAUSE of your posts on food.

So put that in your pipe, and smoke it, “Cara.”

*end rant*

Tina February 13, 2014 at 1:02 pm

😄❤️

Molly February 14, 2014 at 10:34 am

@Tina: I wish there was a “like” button on here because I agree Tina. I LOVE your blog and everything you post. When you asked “What are your favorite kinds of blog posts to read?” I would say this blog in its entirety.

I love hearing about what you’re doing, what you’re eating (I’m going to have to go buy an acorn squash now), Murphy, Baby Haupert, Mal, and Crossfit. As @Britani Sidwell said I wait for a work lull too and check out what you post for the day (and am sad when I’ve read the post(s) for the day)

There are thousands of blogs on the internet that people who aren’t interested can go read. Go there instead of complaining here.

Tina February 14, 2014 at 10:45 am

❤️😄

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves February 12, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Oh my gosh, Murphy’s face KILLS me! So sad, but so freakin’ cute.
    I would want Reese’s pieces or freeze dried edamame in my treat ball. :)

Julie February 12, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Hi Tina! Your decaf almond latte looks delicious! I’m also pregnanat and trying to cut out caffeine but I’m having a hard time finding good decaf espresso beans…. where’d you buy yours? Thanks!

Tina February 12, 2014 at 7:46 pm

I use pods from Nespresso, but Starbucks sells decaf espresso.

Megan @ The Skinny-Life February 12, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Food blogs are my favs!

Sara February 12, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Lol Murphy. My Boston makes equally heartbreaking faces.

Lissy February 12, 2014 at 7:59 pm

awwww! that face! he’s so sad! lol. My dogs used to get equally as upset when their toys got stuck. I guess it’s frustrating when you don’t got no hands

Anel February 12, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Oh my goodness Murphy, that face!! I just want to squeeze him!! I love food blogs. Like you , I always get ideas from them. For instance, I’m dying to try that tortilla roll. Yum! I also like anything pet related. :) If I had a treat ball I would have walnuts!! It would be a weird shaped treat ball , but delicious nonetheless!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake February 12, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Aw, poor Murphy!

Michelle @ Tales of a Fit Kitty Mama February 12, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Love the look on Murphy’s face! Priceless!! Oh, and like you, my human treat ball would probably have peanut mnms… or maybe the pretzel ones.

Ellen Renee February 12, 2014 at 10:47 pm

For some reason your human treat ball idea really cracked me up…visualizing myself smacking it against the furniture…because that is what my 2 punks do..hoping to get more out at a time. Well actually the pit/lab mix lets the basenji do all the work. It depends on my cravings but at this point in time it would be the cadbury mini eggs that I would have stuffed into my ball. I like your mix of blog posts..I do miss the “what I ate” but I certainly see where that could be irritating to do all the time.

Elisabeth February 13, 2014 at 1:03 am

I think I need a human treat ball of peanut M&Ms, white Cheddar Cheez-Its & Buffalo Wheat Thins!

Michelle February 13, 2014 at 2:03 am

I love these types of posts! Definitely gives me wonderful inspiration, especially right now while I’m in such a recipe rut!

I would have to fill my treat ball with some mini peanut butter cups from Trader Joe’s :)

Lindsay February 13, 2014 at 3:23 am

Dark chocolate covered espresso beans.

I love lifestyle posts, crafting/sewing, cooking, and ones that help me workout!

Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork February 13, 2014 at 6:09 am

I agree with you–peanut M&M’s!

rebecca February 13, 2014 at 6:42 am

omg Marylou’s!!!! My in-laws live in Hull and I always bee-line it to Marylou’s before a day at Gunrock!
    My favorite type of blog are fitness blogs (like yours and mine!) and I would probably fill my treat-ball with peanut butter…just like a dog ;)

Jenn@ Mark My Miles! February 13, 2014 at 6:54 am

Awww…his face is so sad : (

I would love to have mini Reeses in my treat ball.
    I love a day in the life blog posts the best!

Sara February 13, 2014 at 7:15 am

I love that idea of putting sprinkles (or Jimmys as we who grew up with Friendlys Ice Cream in Massachusetts say?) in your yogurt! I’m totally going to try that to make yogurt feel more like a decadent dessert!

Sara February 13, 2014 at 8:53 am

I love it when you post your eats for the day. Also, your weekly menu plan. Basically for me, it’s all about the food. (I really like your workout posts also)

Allison February 13, 2014 at 8:53 am

So I ended up buying my pug puppy, Rory, the same treat ball you bought Murphy! And you are so right, it’s hilarious and keeps them so occupied! Rory has gotten it stuck under the couch, behind the chair, and any other crooks and gives me that sad pug face when it’s stuck. And then whines until I help her. It’s hilarious!! I always love your Murphy posts. They make me so happy :)

Tina February 13, 2014 at 8:56 am

Haha! The treat ball is endless fun! :)

Tessa | Balancing Active February 13, 2014 at 9:32 am

Love any kind of post that contains puglet pics!

Margaret February 13, 2014 at 9:54 am

How do you roast acorn squash? It looks SO GOOD!

Sarahchelle February 13, 2014 at 10:03 am

I would fill my treat ball with Brookside Dark Chocolate Pomegranate candies. I am OBSESSED.

Allyssa February 13, 2014 at 10:50 am

I love that you include meals/food that you’ve created and eaten! I am always looking for new ideas! How do you make your latte? I have been trying out a few recipes and would love to hear what exactly you put in yours! Also, I would probably put dark chocolate almonds in my treat ball haha

Random, but the other day I saw on some animal channel that Pugs are one of the best dog breeds to travel with! Made me think of Murphy!

Tina February 13, 2014 at 10:58 am

We have a Nespresso machine to make the lattes. It’s awesome!!

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape February 13, 2014 at 11:03 am

Mine would be filled with date pieces and pecan nuts! Yum!

I love reading your ‘what I ate’ posts and other bloggers ones too. I also love crossfit and paleo blog posts.

Oh and that squash looks so tasty – totally going to try it out (minus the coconut butter as we can’t get that in the UK :-( )

PB&Jess February 13, 2014 at 11:39 am

Ohhhh my word that sad pug face. I can’t even take it! And def going to try that squash AND the PaleOMG recipe!

Jessica @ RunYourMuttOff February 13, 2014 at 11:44 am

That face is ADORABLE! I wonder if he realizes just how powerful it is; he could use it to get anything he wants.
    My favorite posts to read are workout posts and dog posts. What can I say, they’re two of my main passions!

Missy February 13, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Since I’m a dog-mama, I absolutely love posts like these where Murphy gets his ball stuck! True life problems, right there ;)

I’m a newbie to CrossFit so I am obsessed with anything and everything CrossFit related right now.

I have to agree with you on the peanut M&Ms… so perfect!

Maria February 14, 2014 at 11:48 am

Oh my yum everything looks amazing! Wow I think for my “treat ball” I would have dried figs–they are my kryptonite!

Janet February 14, 2014 at 3:02 pm

What is not to like about food, Crossfit, and dogs? I love them all!

Becky @ TheBexFactor.com February 15, 2014 at 1:56 pm

I’m going to have to attempt that pasta. It looks amazing

Annie February 17, 2014 at 3:19 pm

THAT PUGFACE! Also the sprinkles in yogurt is a great idea. I usually throw in peanuts/cashews because I hate the actual texture of yogurt, but that makes it a super calorie-packed snack (which is definitely okay under some circumstances).