• We’re Off to Savannah {Babymoon}

February 17, 2014

Good morning! Happy Monday!

This morning, Mal and I are off to Savannah, Georgia for our babymoon! We booked this trip months ago, and I can’t believe it’s already here. Woohoo! Savannah, here we come!

We actually don’t have a ton of plans on our agenda while we’re away, so if you’ve been to Savannah and have restaurant recommendations or suggestions for what we should do and see, please let us know. We’d love to hear them!

Health News & Views

Just about everyone loves Greek yogurt. It’s rich and creamy with a great tangy flavor, plus it’s low in calories, high in protein, and a good source of calcium. What’s not to like?

Greek yogurt is also incredibly versatile when it comes to snacking, cooking, and baking. Don’t believe me? Here are 15 ways to use Greek yogurt that you probably haven’t tried!

15 Surprising Ways to Use Greek Yogurt

Yogurt

Valentine’s Day Scavenger Hunt

Thanks to everyone who participated in my 6th Annual Valentine’s Day Scavenger Hunt! Here’s the winner of the $100 gift card to Minted!

Sara K.

This was a lot of fun!  Thank you & Happy Valentine’s Day!

Congrats, Sara! Please email me at tina@carrotsncake.com to claim your prize!

Questions of the Day

What’s your favorite way to use Greek yogurt?

Any Savannah recommendations for us?

P.S. Tickets are now on sale for the 2014 Blend (blogger + friend) Retreat! More details here!

Maddie February 17, 2014 at 2:15 pm

b. matthews for breakfast, Crab Shack in Tybee for seafood, and Leopold’s for ice cream. You cannot go wrong with any of these places :)

Hilary February 17, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Savannah is amazing, I’m sure you will love it! I was there this summer and ate SO MUCH delicious food. :) This is a repeat of some of the above comments, but would absolutely recommend the Lady and Sons, Leopold’s for ice cream, River Street Sweets. I had tea at the Savannah Tea Room and The Gryphon Tea Room (which is SO cool…in an old library/apothecary and run by the SCAD). Have fun!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List February 17, 2014 at 2:41 pm

thanks for the Blend shoutout! Have a blast in Savannah!!!!

Rebecca February 17, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Def recommend Vic’s and walk on the beach a little in Tybee- especially this time of year it’s so quiet and beautiful. Social in Tybee for lunch after your walk. I love savannah- reminds me of charleston before it got so commercial.

Jane {In the Pink and Green} February 17, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Savannah is such a beautiful city, you guys will have a great time I’m sure! If you’re looking for a tour to do to get a better sense of the city’s history, I’d highly recommend the Savannah Dan walking tour! We took his tour on our trip to Savannah, and absolutely loved it! He’s got such a fun personality and it’s a great way to spend a couple of hours!

Danica @ It's Progression February 17, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Have a great trip!!
    Are you going to the Blend Retreat in June?!?

Tina February 17, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Sadly, I’m not. I’ll have a (very) newborn baby by then! 😉

Christi February 17, 2014 at 3:14 pm

I hope you guys have a great time! My fiancé and I live in East TN so we visit Hilton Head and Savannah a few times a year. We try to stay away from touristy places but it can be difficult in Savannah. My absolute favorite place for a treat is Maison de Macarons. I’m more of a cake or brownie person and can usually pass up cookies but these Macarons are not only the best I’ve ever had, they are some of the best desserts I’ve ever had. I know its super touristy but we enjoy Zunzi’s too because they have one of the best grilled cheeseburgers you can get. There are a couple of great restaurants on Hilton Head Island too if you guys head that way. One is a French place and the other is a seafood dive. Safe travels

Brynn February 17, 2014 at 3:19 pm

I agree with b. matthews! Savannah is such a fun place – enjoy!!

Lauren @ Dash of Soul February 17, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Get yourself a fresh praline from River Street Sweets while you’re there! You can get them warm right off the counter and they are LIFE CHANGING! :) As far as restaurants, you can’t really go wrong. Vic’s on the River, Old Pink House, and Alligator Soul are some of my favorites. Paula Deen’s restaurant is overrated and not worth the long wait in my opinion. I think people mostly just go there because it’s famous…not a good enough reason. There’s way better southern food in Savannah!

Cherie February 17, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Gryphon Tea Room is hands down my favorite place in Savannah! It’s unique apothecray charm with the added elegance of gourmet combinations makes this the perfect lunch destination. My boyfriend and I spent hours sitting and talking (the best part is: you can walk in with shorts and t-shirt on!) I had a local honey and peanut butter sandwich bananas on top of the best whole grain bread I’ve ever had in my life. DO NOT MISS OUT ON THIS SPOT!

Sarah @ Sweet Miles February 17, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Oooh have fun!!! Enjoy the quiet time before that sweet baby boy comes!! :)

Leigh-Anna February 17, 2014 at 3:33 pm

I agree with Lauren – Paula Deen’s is way overrated however, you should definitely try Mrs. Wilke’s Dining Room (although the line can be a bit crazy and you have to get there early, it is more than worth it!) Also, make sure to grab some pralines from city market square and/or ice cream from Leopolds. So basically, eat a lot!

Suzanne February 17, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Have fun! Haven’t been to Savannah in a while, but I loved The Pirate’s House as a kid :)

Dana February 17, 2014 at 3:53 pm

B. Matthews is awesome! Also make a stop at http://www.backinthedaybakery.com/ SOOOO good!! Any sandwich is delicious, and the Mexican hot chocolate cookies were amazing!

Kim February 17, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Just made the best greek yogurt cheesecake for Valentine’s Day
    – yum!

Jenessa February 17, 2014 at 4:05 pm

The Old Pink House is amazing…and haunted! :)

Livi February 17, 2014 at 4:07 pm

A babymoon sounds so fun! I love GA and I’m going to Savannah next month for my Spring Break. I can’t wait to hear your recommendations for my trip!

Alex @ Kenzie Life February 17, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Can’t wait to hear about your trip! I’ve always wanted to go to Savannah!

Celina @ My Cajun Trinity February 17, 2014 at 5:14 pm

I love using them in smoothies and also like mixing nuts into the yogurt for a quick snack.

Emily February 17, 2014 at 5:17 pm

I actually liked Paula Deen’s and we had no trouble getting in. Maybe that made it worth it! I’ve heard great things about Mrs. Wilkes but heard it’s a nightmare to get into. The Olde Pink house is A-mazing! Get a reservation there for a special dinner if you can. I know you are pregnant but they have a cocktail that is just to die for :( Make Mal get one and taste it! :) I can’t wait to go back and take my husband there. Lots of cute shops to poke around…and beautiful scenery. We at another local barbeque place but the name slips my mind…There really all lots of good restaurants. I was there on a girls trip last fall for the Rock’n Roll Half. Can’t wait to take my husband! Have fun!

Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork February 17, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Savannah is so fun! Drove there for spring break from Massachusetts. We ended up being there for St. Patrick’s Day (did you know it has the country’s oldest St. Patrick’s Day parade?). I always wanted to try one of the ghost tours while we were there because it’s supposedly an incredibly “active” area, but I was way too chicken.

Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork February 17, 2014 at 6:08 pm

P.S. Enjoy!

Jen@PregnantDiabetic February 17, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Fun! Enjoy your time away :)

Andrea February 17, 2014 at 7:25 pm

River Street Sweets…you definitely have to have a praline, they are awesome!

Kim @ FITsique February 17, 2014 at 7:26 pm

I have only been to Savannah once, so I don’t have any recommendations for you BUT I will tell you its one of the most beautiful cities that I have been to! I loved it. Enjoy!

Joann H February 17, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Alligator Soul great local food menu & exotic meats to try!

Rachel February 17, 2014 at 8:12 pm

I’m going to savannah this week too, but for work. I know you’ll have much more fun! The weather is supposed to be spectacular!

Elisabeth February 17, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Hope you & Mal have a fantastic trip! I have no recommendations as I haven’t been to Savannah yet. I’ve been wanting to go for ages & now that I’m a fairly short drive (NC vs Ohio), I’m hoping to make that happen soon!

Elizabeth February 17, 2014 at 8:48 pm

We went to a great restaurant there called Elizabeth’s with all organic produce grown on site – highly recommend!

Nicole February 17, 2014 at 8:48 pm

If you have time and want to go for a drive, head south to St. Simon’s Island.
    I’ve driven by this BBQ place hundreds of times but still haven’t tried it…however it has been written up in the Wall Street Journal and recognized globally. Brunswick Stew is the specialty (I’ve had it elsewhere in the area–so good).

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats February 17, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Have an awesome babymoon :) You deserve it!

I love greek yoghurt mixed with jam and peanut butter.

Luv What You Do February 17, 2014 at 9:02 pm

i make an apple dip with greek yogurt, agave, and cinnamon. It’s incredible!
    Have a great trip!

Laurie February 17, 2014 at 9:07 pm

So jealous! You and Mal enjoy your trip! My husband and I planning to go there in September for our anniversary! Can’t wait! You might want to look at tripadvisor for some ideas too! That is what I’ve been looking at, everyone is giving you great advice. I hope you’ll do a review when you return! Have fun!

pj geek February 17, 2014 at 9:11 pm

I got married on Tybee Island on the beach near the lighthouse , and we vacation there often. we always avoid anything Paula dean related as far as retaurants because while southern it tends to be greasy and there are long lines.
    There is a breakfast place on Tybee called The Breakfast Club which is a classic. It is just a little old greasy spoon diner place that is packed with locas and usually has a line out front. Monster burgers.

Our last trip in Savannah we ate at Molly Mcpherson’s pup… http://macphersonspub.com/ very cool little pub….food was good -I had the fish and chips and sticky toffee pudding. There is a ghost tour pup crawl that goes through there–so it has atmosphere.

have fun

Becca February 17, 2014 at 9:24 pm

After your trip you should read “Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.” It is a great story set in Savannah that will make you appreciate the city even more! It’s also a wonderful movie, but definitely read the book first!!

Kirsten February 17, 2014 at 9:39 pm

The Pink House (you’ll likely need a reservation) is the best place in town. Great atmosphere, fantastic waitstaff that really know the history of the place (it’s supposedly haunted) and the fried green tomato BLT salad is to die for! My mom is not a big “eating out” person and she LOVED it, which basically is one of 5 restaurants she’s ever really enjoyed in 55 years of her life.

Have fun!

Brooke@SweetnSweaty February 17, 2014 at 10:05 pm

The Olde Pink House is a Savannah favorite. Make reservations and it is on the pricey side, lots of history behind it!! I love Savannah and go every year because my boyfriends parents live about an hour away in Hilton Head. Tybee Island is great and if you are looking for a place to eat crabs legs go to the Crab Shack. Prepare to get dirty ( eating seafood) and see live alligators! Laid back to say the least! Oh and lastly my favorite meal so far in Savannah was at the Sapphire Grill. Have fun!!

Karla February 17, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Moon River Brewing Company….unfortunately this recommendation is more for Mal’s benefit, but they have great beer!

Jenn@ Mark My Miles! February 18, 2014 at 5:35 am

have a great getaway!!!

Megan L. February 18, 2014 at 6:11 am

If you have the time (a solid afternoon or more) do a walking tour of the places from Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. It takes you off the beaten path a bit while still seeing some of the most amazing gardens in Savannah. Have a great trip!

Nell February 18, 2014 at 7:57 am

Definitely head out to Tybee and hit up the Breakfast Club. I’m from Georgia and grew up visiting the area often. Happy to say I will be moving to Savannah in about 6 weeks :) Have too much fun. Much love.

Sheena @ Paws and pavement February 18, 2014 at 1:57 pm

Hope you have a great trip!

Macrae February 18, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Hi Tina! I grew up in Savannah and lived in downtown. Here are a few suggestions:)
    Coffee- Gallery Espresso
    Pizza- Vinnie Van Gogos (whole pizza, not by -the-slice).
    Lunch must- Soho South Café,
    Health Food Store- Brighter Day
    Italian: Garibaldi
    Seafood/ scenery- AJ’s on Tybee.
    I’m not a fan of any of the Paula Dean places or River Street (too touristy)
    Shopping- Terra Cotta , One Fish Two Fish.
    RELAX and ENJOY!

Phebe February 18, 2014 at 11:09 pm

Tybee Island is wonderful. I’ve only been there in the summer, so it might be chilly now. But they have a beautiful beach with a cool pier where you can rent fishing gear, and there’s a really cool lighthouse too. I can’t wait to go back when it warms up!