• Risotto with Roasted Chickpeas, Mushrooms & Kale {Meatless Monday Recipe}

February 11, 2014

Hi, friends!

Here’s that awesome Meatless Monday recipe that I mentioned in this morning’s post. It’s healthy, super easy to make, and only requires four ingredients!

032 (675x900)

Risotto with Roasted Chickpeas, Mushrooms & Kale

• 1 box of Trader Joe’s Mushroom & Herb Risotto (or similar flavored risotto)
    • 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas*, drained and rinsed
    • 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
    • 1.25 cup frozen chopped kale (or spinach)
    • extra virgin olive oil
    • salt + pepper to taste

011 (900x675)

Roast chickpeas. If you’ve never roasted chickpeas before, check out this recipe. I used sea salt to season mine, but feel free to experiment with other flavors!

006 (900x675)

While chickpeas are roasting in the oven, add about 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil to a large sauté pan along with mushrooms and kale. Cook until mushrooms are soft and kale is no longer frozen.

014 (900x675)

While mushrooms and kale are cooking, prepare the risotto as instructed by the directions on the box.

017 (900x675)

Once everything is finished cooking (chickpeas, mushrooms, kale, and risotto), combine it all in a large bowl, mix well, and serve immediately.

046 (900x675)

And just like that, you have a nutritious, delicious, and truly satisfying meal!

036 (900x675)

Behind the scenes…

054 (900x675)

Murphy is always on top of the food potential in our house!

040 (900x675)

*The next time I make this meal, I might actually double the roasted chickpeas (two cans of beans instead of one) to make it an even more satisfying meal.

Questions of the Day

How often do you eat meatless meals?

What’s your favorite meatless dinner recipe?

Alex @ Kenzie Life February 11, 2014 at 2:36 pm

I’d say I eat meatless meals about 100% of the time :) I love risotto though I don’t have it that often. I love a good vegan stir fry when it’s cold out.

sally @ sweat out the small stuff February 11, 2014 at 2:47 pm

I love Quinoa and will eat it usually with kale and feta and greek olives…no need for meat. I also love eggs and will make vegetable fried rice or just have an omelette.

There are also lots of PB&J sandwiches and waffles in my life =)

Ashley @ Snow Cream and Syrup February 11, 2014 at 2:57 pm

This looks great. I can’t really do flavored risotto as it’s usually not gluten free, but you could also cook the plain risotto in chicken broth. :)

Rhiannon @ Bound to be a Buckeye February 11, 2014 at 2:57 pm

It’s rare that we eat a meatless meal. I do have a pseudo lasagna recipe that I make with slices of zucchini in place of pasta noodles, spinach and lots of cheese!

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl February 11, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Love roasted chickpeas, especially in salads. I’ve never tried them in rice recipes, but I be this is terrific. Picking up that risotto next time I’m at TJ’s!

Tamara C. February 11, 2014 at 3:04 pm

My husband and I started being “weekday vegetarians” last summer. We were already eating meatless about 3 days a week, so working in a few more days was pretty easy. We’re not super strict about it, which makes it easier. For example, if work provides lunch and there aren’t any vegetarian options, we’re still okay with eating what’s available. We still love meat, but wanted to be a little more conscious about our intake. Better for the environment and our grocery bill, so we’re still enjoying it.

It’s tough to pick a favorite because we keep trying new recipes, but I get more excited than I should when my husband makes these lentil-ricotta “meatballs”: http://www.injennieskitchen.com/2010/02/lentil-ricotta-meatballs/

Shel@PeachyPalate February 11, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Delicious!!!! I don’t eat meat so every day :) I made some amazing meatless sausages today…parsnip, rosemary, sundried tomatoes…they are incredible! Can’t wait to share the recipe!

Ali @ Peaches and Football February 11, 2014 at 3:23 pm

It’s maybe once a month that we do a meatless meal – and then it’s usually a pasta dish. I think it would be a good idea to explore more though because it would increase my veggie intake. I have always been afraid of cooked spinach but I love how broken up it gets. This seems like a good way to cook it -mixed into something else.

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner February 11, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Probably about 2/3 of my meals are meatless….and the remaining 1/3 is half seafood. I’d take fish over red meat any day! But sometimes I just want a good steak.

My favorite meatless recipe is probably veggie curry over brown rice. I love curry!

Megan @ The Skinny-Life February 11, 2014 at 3:57 pm

The pics are super cute with your pug sneaked in! I do meatless at least 2-3 times per week. It really helps me get more veggies in my diet.

Kaitlyn February 11, 2014 at 3:58 pm

I just discovered roasted chickpeas the other day and have been making them like crazy–so good! I generally eat a vegetarian diet, so most my mondays are meatless :)

Jackie February 11, 2014 at 4:08 pm

This sounds mouth watering!

Karen - Fit in France February 11, 2014 at 4:16 pm

My favorite meatless meal is some kind of pasta loaded with roasted veggies, or an egg dish. Quiche works really well – “garbage” quiche at the end of the week is too yummy, throwing in all the leftovers.

Katie @ running4cupcakes February 11, 2014 at 4:19 pm

I have never roasted chick peas before! Totally going to try it out with the can that is in my pantry!! For meatless Monday, I made an egg bake with roasted broccoli – yum!!

Stephanie @ My Freckled Life February 11, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Yummm, this looks delicious! I don’t make risotto nearly enough in my house! Definitely need to get on that!

Elizabeth @ Positive Change February 11, 2014 at 4:37 pm

My breakfast is typically always meatless but I want to start eating more meatless lunches and dinners! I think this would be a great one to start it off!

Whitney @ Yoga All the Time February 11, 2014 at 5:02 pm

This looks really good! I eat meatless 24/7 :)

Abi@AbsofSteel February 11, 2014 at 5:47 pm

I’ve never roasted chickpeas before. I don’t know why, it sounds like something I would love. I bet like they’re delicious in this recipe.

Danica @ It's Progression February 11, 2014 at 6:07 pm

This looks awesome!
    We eat mostly meatless meals at our house so beans and eggs are friends. Favorite meatless meal though? Mexi-bowls! Or any Mexican food, really.

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 11, 2014 at 6:13 pm

i’ve never actually made risotto, it kind of intimidates me!

Lisa February 11, 2014 at 6:58 pm

I’m a vegetarian so everyday is meatless :) but tonight we are having quinoa bites and salad. They are so good!

Jennifer February 11, 2014 at 7:07 pm

This looks so yummy!

xo Jennifer

Katie February 11, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Word of caution to any strict vegetarians – the Trader Joe’s Mushroom & Herb Risotto mix contains “chicken fat powder”!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun February 11, 2014 at 8:05 pm

I eat meatless meals maybe once or twice per week and it is usually not on purpose but instead it is due to the fact that we are running low on food in the pantry. Still good though :)

Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom February 11, 2014 at 8:24 pm

I eat meatless every day…. and have been for 5 years 😀 I have way way way too many favorite meatless meals, but I made two good ones in the last week: mac and cheese with Brussels Sprouts and sun-dried tomatoes and veggie pizza, using ranch as a base, shredded zucchini, chopped brussels sprouts, tomatoes, onions, and spinach. Delish!

Ashley @ Saving Money in your Twenties February 11, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Haha I love those behind the scenes pictures :) That recipe sounds awesome. I keep meaning to find a risotto recipe to make from scratch- I want to try it!

2 Cups 'N Run February 12, 2014 at 2:43 am

Everyday is meatless for me.. :) Thanks for the recipe, sounds really good.

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats February 12, 2014 at 5:39 am

This sounds delicious! I love doing a few meatless meals in the form of veggie fritters, mushroom, corn and eggplant all work well.

That photo of Murphy is too cute! :)

Livi February 12, 2014 at 9:45 am

I loved roasted chickpeas– this looks so great!

Britney @ Peaches and Pedicures February 12, 2014 at 9:55 am

This sound delicious! Any recipe with kale is a winner to me. I can’t wait to try this out! Thanks for the recipe. :)

Brittney @ Sweets 'N' Greens February 12, 2014 at 2:10 pm

I love making black bean quinoa burrito bowls! I make a cilantro-lime quinoa, cook black beans with onions and peppers, and top the quinoa and beans with guacamole, salsa, cheese, etc. It’s always a filling meatless meal!