• Less Than 24 Hours in the Big Apple

February 5, 2014

Hello, hello!

My trip to NYC was quite the whirlwind to say the least. I’m already on the train back home to Boston!

[rewind to yesterday morning]

My new favorite breakfast (I’ve moved on from oatmeal) is a wrap/plain tortilla (I like whatever brand is on sale) with almond butter + apricot jam (2:1) and sliced banana.

photo (1) (640x480)

Then, I fold the wrap in half, mush the banana slices with my hand, and then nuke the whole thing for 20-25 seconds in the microwave.

photo (2) (640x480)photo (4) (640x480)

The end result is a quick and easy, warm and gooey, super satisfying breakfast!

photo (5) (640x480)

After breakfast, I spent the morning working and catching up with emails. Because of my book, I pretty much let everything go by the wayside the last couple of weeks, so I’m trying to pick up the pieces and get my life back in order again.

Around 10:00 or so, I shut down my computer, packed for NYC, and then whipped up another almond butter-apricot-banana wrap as a pre-workout snack. I had plans to meet my friends Kerrie and Marisa at CrossFit 93 for a noon drop-in class, so I made sure to have a little something in my stomach beforehand.

photo (7) (640x480)

The WOD was a good one—short and sweet with a couple of pregnancy  modifications for me.

4 rounds for time:
    12 Burpees to Target
    9 Clean and Jerk 135/95
    12 Toes to Bar

I did Squat Thrusts instead of Burpees, scaled the weight for the Clean and Jerks to 85 pounds, and did Kipping Knee Raises instead of Toes-to-Bar. I finished the workout in just under 12 minutes.

photo (8) (640x480)

After CrossFit, I said goodbye to Kerrie and Marisa and then took a quick shower at the gym. After that,  I picked up Mal from school, so he could drop me off at the train station.

photo (9) (480x640)

A little while later, I was sitting on the Acela to New York City.

photo (10) (640x480)

Post-workout/train snacks: celery sticks with almond butter, roasted potato wedges (just a few, leftover from the previous night’s dinner), a kiwi, a couple of pitted dates, and a banana.

photo (6) (640x480)

I also packed a peanut butter chocolate chip protein bar from Cascadian Farms.

photo (11) (480x640)

Once I arrived in NYC, I hopped in a taxi and went straight to my hotel for the evening: Sixty Soho.

For hotels in New York City, my room was huge! I actually think it was considered a suite. So fancy.

And there was Fat Witch Baby Brownie waiting for me on my pillow. Yum. What a nice treat!

Once I got settled in my room, I headed downstairs to meet Theodora for dinner at Kittichai, a Thai restaurant in the lobby of the hotel. I ordered the coconut soup with chicken and mushrooms and a duck confit salad. Both were excellent!

photo (3) (640x480)

It was so nice to catch up with Theodora in person!

photo (640x640)

The next morning, I woke up, did some work, and then enjoyed a lovely room service breakfast of eggs, fresh fruit, and a decaf cappuccino. I always feel so fancy when I order room service!

photo (9) (640x480)

And after breakfast, I packed up my things and headed to the Reebok event.

20140205-085355.jpg
    Recap post coming soon!

funfitgirl February 5, 2014 at 3:41 pm

what a gorgeous hotel room! I hope you had a good time :)

Also, you look amazing and are such an inspiration to staying fit, healthy and happy during pregnancy. You go girl!

Jackie February 5, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Omg that room service breakfast looks great! I’ve gotta try that trader joes almond butter!

Ashley @ Saving Money in your Twenties February 5, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Whoa, that soup bowl is awesome!

Sam February 5, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Where is the brown bag from in your last pic? Am desperately trying to find something exactly like that for travel!

Tina February 5, 2014 at 3:58 pm
    Shel@PeachyPalate February 5, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Yummy breakfast! And that coconut soup looks incredible!!! Looking forward to hearing about the Reebok event!

Ashlee@HisnHers February 5, 2014 at 4:24 pm

I love room service because Im obsessed with the little mini bottles!

Sarah H February 5, 2014 at 4:27 pm

I’m going to try your breakfast! That looks delicious (and g-free, too!)!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 5, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Such a gorgeous hotel room! And I love the little quesadilla-esque breakfast! YUM!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun February 5, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Awww this looks like such a blast! Can’t wait to read more about it! You look so great!

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance February 5, 2014 at 5:07 pm

That looks like a nice hotel! I’ll have to remember this when people ask me where to stay in NYC. I never know what to say!

Sagan February 5, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Looks like a fabulous time with some tasty eats!

Looking forward to hearing about the Reebok event.

Tess @ Tips on Healthy Living February 5, 2014 at 5:22 pm

I love your breakfast idea! I’ve been getting tired of my oatmeal.

Hopefully, you aren’t having a hard time getting through the rain and slush!

Linda @ running4two February 5, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Room service is so fun! That fruit looks so fresh!

Anel February 5, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Loving the breakfast quesadilla idea! I’ll have to try that!! I’m digging that brown bag- such a bummer I didn’t win it in your last giveaway! That hotel room is fancy! How was the brownie??? Looking forward to the recap!

Ashley @ Brocblog February 5, 2014 at 5:29 pm

I need to start buying wraps, a banana almond butter tortilla sounds amazing!

Livi February 5, 2014 at 5:43 pm

lots of travel! this snacks sure look yummy :)!

Elizabeth @ Positive Change February 5, 2014 at 5:48 pm

You look so great! It is so great seeing you workout and eating healthy! Can’t wait for the recap!

Abi@AbsofSteel February 5, 2014 at 6:16 pm

love your new breakfast go to, its like a peanut butter and banana quesadilla .

Emily February 5, 2014 at 7:08 pm

is that the route 128 westwood station i see?

Megan @ The Skinny-Life February 5, 2014 at 7:49 pm

That hotel looks goregous! And I have never seen Cascadian Farm protein bars. I am missing out!

Brittney @ Sweets 'N' Greens February 5, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Mmm that breakfast sounds delicious! Might have to recreate it soon :) And brownies on your pillow? That’s my kind of hotel!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers February 5, 2014 at 8:18 pm

You look great! Wow, I can’t believe all of the moving you do. I was wondering how do you like Rudi’s GF tortilla shells? I bought some from Trader Joe’s and it was horrible! So I am on the lookout to a good GF flour tortilla.

Tina February 5, 2014 at 8:23 pm

They’re good! I like the brown rice tortilla from TJs better though.

Alissa @ Eat Clean Beauty Queen February 5, 2014 at 9:36 pm

Yum that breakfast wrap sounds so good. I LOVE the Food for Life brown rice tortillas. They’re so good even on their own!!

michelle kim February 5, 2014 at 10:21 pm

Cute hotel! And isn’t it great to catch up with a close friend?
    All those good eats look yummy!

Lindsay February 6, 2014 at 3:28 am

You inspire me every day;) Thank you for sharing your clean, quick and satisfying eats and snacks! I love that, because when I travel, it is hard to stay on track. I understand the “catch up,” I feel like I am scrambling this week. Here’s to getting on track and forgiving ourselves when we can’t always do it all;)!

Danica @ It's Progression February 6, 2014 at 9:12 am

I’ve ordered room service once or twice before, and I agree, there’s just something about it that feels fancy!

Ashley @ Snow Cream and Syrup February 6, 2014 at 9:19 am

that is quite a nice NYC room! I’ll have to remember the hotel when we go to NYC next. Which is probably never, since we hate crowds, but one can dream. :)

Charlene D February 6, 2014 at 9:27 am

I love the breakfast tortilla – thanks for sharing! I just made it for breakfast this morning and it’s quite filling (not to mention delicious!).

Kimberly (Manifest Yourself) February 6, 2014 at 9:55 am

I have the same bag from Lo&Sons. I absolutely love it! Perfect for traveling. :)

Dana February 6, 2014 at 10:03 am

Oh man, that room service looks wonderful!! Nice room, too! Congrats on the book; I’m not a writer.{I like writing though}..but that is one of my dreams….to write something I’m passionate about and get it published. :)

Betsy February 6, 2014 at 11:30 am

Are the Rudi’s tortillas good? My husband has hoshimotos thyroid and they recommended a gluten free diet. I am trying to make the transition as easy as possible for all of us :)

Pamela February 6, 2014 at 11:46 am

I love Kittichai! So yummy!

Do those wraps break apart like the Traders ones?

Tina February 6, 2014 at 11:57 am

They do a little bit, but I like the thicker texture of the TJ ones better. These ones are pretty thin.

Caitlin February 6, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Wow such a whirlwind trip but at least you had super nice accommodations, fit in a WOD, and got to meet up with Theodora! I love the presentation of that coconut soup. Coconut anything at a Thai place is guaranteed fabulous. As is that hotel room! Oh my gosh, the bathroom is beautiful. Smart of you to pack your own snacks – I have a trip to Boston planned for tomorrow and I plan to do just that so that I have snacks and also a breakfast for the next morning. But maybe I’ll go crazy ;) and get hotel room service. You’re right, that is SO fancy for breakfast!

Evan @ Home WOD Ideas February 8, 2014 at 12:24 am

Being only 40 mins outside NYC and seeing plenty of hotel rooms there, that is a FANTASTIC ROOM! Looks like a cool event. Awesome that everything was covered