• Last Week’s Workouts {23 Weeks}

February 8, 2014

Good morning! Happy Saturday!

No Saturday morning CrossFit workout for me, but it’s for a good reason: BRUNCH! Mal and I made plans with a couple of our friends to have brunch this morning, so we’re enjoying some delicious food instead of busting our butts in a WOD, which is a very nice way to start a Saturday. And, of course, rest days are essential to proper training and recovery. That said, here’s a recap of this week’s workouts!

Sunday: Off

Monday: CrossFit

My CrossFit box is doing a lot of past Open WODs to get us prepared for this year’s competition, so we did Open WOD 13.3 on Monday. (FYI: I am not registered for the CrossFit Open this year. I’ll be almost 27 weeks pregnant when the first WOD is announced, so it’s just not a good idea. I’ll still do the workouts with my box, but I won’t be posting scores.)

“Open WOD 13.3”
    AMRAP 12:
    150 Wallballs (20, 14 to a 10’, 9’ target, respectively)
    90 Double Unders
    30 Muscle-ups

I remember 13.3 so well from last year because I was insanely frustrated after being no-reped like 20 times during it. I basically wasted a ton of time and energy on the wallballs, so I only had about a minute or so to get through the Double Unders.

photo (8)

Well, apparently, over the course of the past year, I finally learned how to do wallballs. On Monday night when I did this workout, I was barely no-reped at all (maybe 3 times?). I used the same weight for the medicine ball (14 pounds) and finished 150 reps with about 30 seconds to spare. Considering I’m pregnant and packing an extra 26+ pounds on my body, I’m surprised I got through the wallballs as fast as I did. And, once again, at the end of the workout, I did some spastic Double Unders as I watched the clock count down.

photo (10)

(I have no idea how I whipped myself so hard with my jump rope… on my hand!?!)

Tuesday: CrossFit (drop-in at CrossFit 93)

photo (8) (640x480)

Wednesday: ZQUICK obstacle course

Thursday: CrossFit

I love how fast-paced this workout was—flying through the rounds was kind of fun!

I modified the Toes-to-Bar and did Kipping Knee Raises instead, but I added 5 reps for a total of 15 per round. I stuck with the prescribed 30 Double Unders and finished in 12:38. The last few rounds of Double Unders really tripped me up (literally). I also just couldn’t catch my breath, so my pace slowed down a lot at the end.

“Zipline”

10 RFT:

10 T2B

30 Double Unders

Friday: 45-minute walk in the snow + CrossFit

Kerrie texted me to see if Murphy and I wanted to join her and Bentley for a walk at the park, and, of course, we were all about it. We were both itching to get out of the house!

Trudging through the snow was so much more of a workout than I thought it would be! I was huffing and puffing and even sweating by the end.

photo (11) (640x480)

A few hours later, I headed to CrossFit for this workout:

Sudden_Death_WOD_from_CrossFit_781

Yup. This workout was killer. “Sudden Death” was the perfect name for it.

My immediate thoughts:

100 kettlebell swings? Whaaatttt?

Well, ok, then. Try not to panic.

Break them up. Break EVERYTHING up. You’ll be ok.

And I was ok. Right off the bat, I broke up the kettlebell swings into sets of 10 and continued that way for the entire 100 reps. This method worked great, so I broke up the Overhead Squats and Burpees (Squat Thrusts) the same way.

With a few minutes to spare, I finished one full round of the three exercises and started again on the kettlebell swings. I got through another 72… and holy kettlebell swings! I used the prescribed weights for this workout and finished with 297 reps.

Saturday: Off

CrossFit modifications so far:

Jenn@ Mark My Miles! February 8, 2014 at 11:35 am

WOW pretty momma…going strong. Love it!!!

Livi February 8, 2014 at 12:15 pm

you are totally killing it! Can’t believe you’re at 23 weeks already– you are definitely keeping your goal of a fit pregnancy!

Liz February 8, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Wow, I bet that hurt! I use essential lavender oil for all my skin issues (i.e. burns, cuts, pimples, etc) the healing time is much quicker when I use it. Have a blessed week-end

Karen - Fit in France February 8, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Would love a walk in the snow – the sun and fresh air as well as the workout !

Shel@PeachyPalate February 8, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Totally have to try the sudden death workout! Hope you enjoyed brunch!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 8, 2014 at 2:30 pm

That’s a great week of workouts – lots of crossfit! Haha I’d be so sore, granted I don’t do near as much strength training as I should. I’m guessing you get used to it

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun February 8, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Wow you have gotten some awesome workouts in this week! Way to go! :)

Elizabeth @ Positive Change February 8, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Awesome workouts! Have a great brunch!

Abi@AbsofSteel February 8, 2014 at 3:22 pm

you’re such a beast, I’m fully expecting your baby to be born with little baby biceps ;)

Rhiannon @ Bound to be a Buckeye February 8, 2014 at 3:54 pm

You’re a machine!! Great job on the workouts =)

Megan @ TheSkinny-Life February 8, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Impressive workouts!

Alana February 9, 2014 at 12:26 pm

You are a beast! Just finished “Sudden Death” and that workout was no joke! Hanks for sharing :)

Missy February 9, 2014 at 6:13 pm

I joined CrossFit two months ago and have fallen in love with it! We may be trying to get pregnant for the first time so I was wondering if CrossFit would be safe during pregnancy and you’re proving that through your modifications! Thanks for sharing :)

Brittney @ Sweets 'N' Greens February 9, 2014 at 10:53 pm

Awesome workouts! And what a pretty snow-y walk!

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape February 10, 2014 at 10:48 am

Woah sudden death seems insane! I hope my coach doesn’t find out about that one…!

We are doing a lot of the old open WOD’s too at the moment, good fun but so tough! Good prep for the open though, both physically and mentally!

Lindsay February 10, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Congrats! You are always inspiring. My yoga quest continues and I DID finish the run in an unlikely way this week for the Get Healthy Challenge…chugging up Koko Head Crater here on Oahu. HOLY sweatface. It was amazing! Thanks for the constant rallying, off to pack my healthy snacks….;) : http://simply2suitcases.com/2014/02/same-me-stronger-feb-3rd-9th-2014-get-healthy-update.html