• GHSHC: Run 1 Mile {Check-In}

February 7, 2014

Good morning and happy Friday!

Today’s special: A chalk drawing of Murphy. My husband is quite the artist, isn’t he? Our kitchen chalk board sure does get a lot of action!

Breakfast

I woke up craving pancakes for breakfast this morning, so I whipped up a two-ingredient pancake with sliced banana, almond butter, and marmalade on top. It was so tasty, and the perfect way to start a Friday.

2-Ingredient_Pancake

Recently, I’ve received a number of questions about how to make these two-ingredient pancakes. I wrote this post about my “secrets” for making a perfect one, but here are a few more tips to help you get it right.

• To speed up the process, I mash up the banana inside the banana peel (with my hands) and then add it to a mug with my egg(s), cinnamon, vanilla extract, chia seeds, and whatever else I decide to mix in. Then, I use a fork to whisk it all together.
    • For minimal pan sticking, cook your pancake in melted coconut oil. I wait until there’s a thin layer of coconut oil in my pan and then pour in my batter. It works so much better than cooking spray to prevent the pancake from sticking to the pan.
    • Lately, I’ve been using 1 banana + 2 eggs, so my pancake has a little more protein and staying power. Using an extra egg also helps form the pancake better, so it doesn’t stick and fall apart.

Workout

I still haven’t done my time trial for my mile run this week yet, but I’m hitting the gym right after I finish this post. My friends at Boston Sports Club hooked me up with a free 90-day membership, so I’ll have access to a treadmill (and some fun classes) all winter long. Yay! Obviously, I’m pumped, especially since I’m not sure what’s going to happen with my CrossFit workouts in the next few months and at least I’ll be able to walk on the treadmill or use the elliptical at the gym.

If you’re also planning to hit the treadmill later today, here is a fun workout for you to try!

Health News & Views

Around this time every winter, I get sick and tired of running indoors on the treadmill. (Or should I say “dreadmill”?)

The treadmill can definitely get boring, so I try to do workouts that include frequent pace changes to mix things up and keep things interesting. That way, I actually enjoy my run instead of totally dreading it.

That said, here’s a 30-minute running workout that alternates varying inclines with short bursts of sprinting and slower recovery periods for a seriously booty-burning session that will blast fat and keep your mind engaged. Trust me, the time will fly!

A Booty-Burning, Fat-Blasting Treadmill Workout

30-Minute_Booty-Burning_Treadmill_Workout_

Questions of the Day

How’d your mile time trial go this week?

What’s your fastest mile time?

Would you rather run fast or long?

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 7, 2014 at 8:48 am

I’ll have to give the pancake a try as I’ve been LOVING the french toast scramble so much lately!

Jennifer February 7, 2014 at 9:53 am

@Katie @ Talk Less, Say More: I have been addicted to the french toast scramble lately too!

Tina February 7, 2014 at 9:59 am

One of my favorites too! :)

Meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles February 7, 2014 at 9:00 am

I much prefer to run long than super fast. I will take a half marathon over a 5k anyday!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun February 7, 2014 at 9:09 am

I think the fastest I have ever run a mile is about a 7:15 or so. I am still trying to get that down, but I have faith I can! Love that chalk drawing of Murphy! Your husband is quite the artist!

Jackie February 7, 2014 at 9:13 am

I love toe ingredient pancakes I use ground flax in mine too!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries February 7, 2014 at 9:14 am

Bahaha I LOVE that drawing of Murphy! So darn cute.

I’ve always said I love to just run FAST rather than distance running, but now that I’m training for a half marathon (for the first time!), I’ve really began to love distance running. I do know that I don’t think I could do long distance running ALL the time. I don’t think my body would like me much, and I just don’t have the time to be running that many miles all the time.

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 7, 2014 at 9:20 am

I definitely prefer running for a long time over running fast. I’ve never timed my mile, mostly because running a mile as fast as I can sounds awful! Haha I’d rather do another marathon!

Jenn@ Mark My Miles! February 7, 2014 at 9:39 am

How nice of the Boston Sports Club!!!
    I completed the mile this week and did it in 6:30. So exciting! Loved having you hold us accountable, thank you!

Ashley @ Saving Money in your Twenties February 7, 2014 at 9:57 am

I finally have bananas in the house– I’m going to have to try that pancake soon! I would rather run long… running fast is so painful!!

Tanya February 7, 2014 at 10:06 am

Good for you for running! I kept running during both of my pregnancies until the 8th month when my belly was just too big-LOL! Unfortunately I did have people tell me (one more than one occasion!) that I shouldn’t be running when I was that pregnant because I would overheat my baby, hurt my baby, etc. Hope you don’t have the same experience! I always just told them my doctor was aware and told me it was fine.

Reenie February 7, 2014 at 10:17 am

I finally tried your 2-ingredient pancake last night and love it!! I use a small amount of butter to cook it in. I made 2 this morning and added my protein powder to it, topped it with a lil butter, chopped pecans and a lil syrup. I couldn’t eat it all. I save the rest of it for later today. ;)

Thx!! :)

Tina February 7, 2014 at 10:21 am

I should have added a note about butter! I’ve tried that too, and it works great.

Awesome idea about the protein powder!! I’m all over that the next time I make them! :)

Megan @ TheSkinny-Life February 7, 2014 at 10:26 am

I prefer to run long. I get into a zone and solve all kinds of problems that way.
    By the way, I make a two ingredient version of a pancake too. It’s eggs and oats (not banana). The banana sounds good though! I just go home from the gym & I’m starving!!!

sally @ sweat out the small stuff February 7, 2014 at 10:52 am

I’ve never timed my mile. Maybe because I don’t think it’ll be that much faster than my 10k pace. I’m definitely a distance over speed kinda girl. half marathons and marathons please…

Sim @ The Micro Harvest February 7, 2014 at 11:25 am

I used to live to lots of miles and long runs – now I have no patience for that anymore! Unless I am with a friend or listening to some amazing music, I just get bored no. So these days, definitely fast!

Stephanie @ My Freckled Life February 7, 2014 at 11:36 am

I’ve been on a total pancake recipe trying mission – so I’m definitely going to have to test these out!

Elizabeth @ Positive Change February 7, 2014 at 11:42 am

I made your 2 ingredient pancake for breakfast yesterday and loved it! I am trying to mix up the breakfasts a little more and this totally did the trick!
    I did the time trial I did a tempo run and my fastest mile was 7:15! My fastest mile ever was like 6:58. It almost killed me! I love running fast, but I also love running distance it is a battle I am always fighting!
    Good luck with your run!

Mary @ minutes per mile February 7, 2014 at 11:43 am

My fastest mile is 6 minutes flat… I’m definitely more of a run long than run fast person!

Ella February 7, 2014 at 12:03 pm

That pancake sounds SO good! I sometimes wonder where I’d be in life without bananas, almond butter and oats :)

Annette@FitnessPerks February 7, 2014 at 12:20 pm

I go in phases with fun fast or run long. Right now it’s run fast b/c I am a new mama! hah ;)

Kaelene February 7, 2014 at 12:21 pm

I have been facing some major treadmill boredom lately so I will be keeping this work out in mind. Two-ingredient pancakes are my go to breakfast!

Lindsay February 7, 2014 at 12:45 pm

I’m waiting for this weekend to tackle my mile with my hubs. We are thinking of taking it to the beach to add an extra sand-challenge. And I need the buddy because running and I are not besties. BUT I’m completing this challenge no matter what! I would rather run long, I hate sprinting!

Kay February 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm

I had your 2-ingredient pancake for breakfast this morning! But I used more than 2 ingredients..hehe. I did one banana, one egg, cinnamon, flax seed, and some rolled oats. I sprayed the pan with coconut oil spray from Trader Joe’s!! I love that stuff

I love running long and don’t like running fast. I would rather run for 2x as long than have to finish quickly, which is a problem in this cold winter because I can’t stay outside that long!

Danica @ It's Progression February 7, 2014 at 1:16 pm

I was just looking over that workout and the speeds seem great, but running at 6.0 with a 10.0 incline? I’m pretty sure I’d fall on my face. :/

Hayley in Training February 7, 2014 at 3:40 pm

@Danica @ It’s Progression: Agreed! I was like, surely that’s a typo?? But I guess not…

Amelia February 7, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Ran three times this week and another run planned for tomorrow! I still don’t care about time when I’m running (or maybe I don’t want to care about time…I put so much pressure on myself to run faster that I psych myself out of runs!). HOWEVER, I pushed myself on Wednesday to run a lot faster than usual for 2 miles. I averaged 9:15! Huge achievement…and I felt it afterward. :)

I’m going to try your two ingredient pancake again. Yours look so good and not at all like my last attempt at making them. Saturdays are all about pancakes for me!

Bethany February 7, 2014 at 2:21 pm

I ran my fastest miles ever this week 7:43 during my speed work and it was my last mile! I would much rather run long than fast.

Livi February 7, 2014 at 2:22 pm

I’d rather run long! But I after my half marathon, I am definitely going to focus more on running fast! My boyfriend helps with that- he’s a speed demon!

Liana@RunToMunch February 7, 2014 at 2:28 pm

i’ve never done a mile trial. Definitely prefer being outside but all this ice is killin’ my routine.

logan February 7, 2014 at 3:00 pm

I am so envious of your healthy eating lol. You make the food look so good yet seem so healthy. I am all about connivence. Well, at least I run and keep in shape. That counts for something right? Good post!

erica February 7, 2014 at 3:13 pm

love the drawing of murphy!!!

I run very slooooow. so I’m a slow/long run person. i WISH i could be a fast runner….

Rhiannon @ Bound to be a Buckeye February 7, 2014 at 3:14 pm

I am so excited to have found your blog! My husband and I both started CrossFit workouts about 14 months ago and we LOVE it. I’m turning 30 this year so pregnancy is moving up on my list of things to possibly do =) I love that you are still able to modify your CrossFit WODs. I can’t wait to keep reading and thanks for sharing!

Celina February 7, 2014 at 3:23 pm

I’d rather run fast. Probably because I was a sprinter in junior high and high-school for track and field.
    I wish I could enjoy running long distance, but I’m maxed out on boredom after the first 5 minutes. I’ve tried loving it so many times, but it’s just not for me. Maybe one day…

Shel@PeachyPalate February 7, 2014 at 3:33 pm

I only really do short sprinting intervals on the treadmill at the moment as part of training….long runs are enjoyable outside but not on the treadmill :) For so long it was all I did but then I discovered weight and HIIT training! Still yet to make your pancake!!! Definitely two eggs is the way to go! Still a small banana or a medium one?

Rina February 8, 2014 at 3:32 pm

I just ran my fastest timed mile this week, which was 6:45! However, I definitely like running long. Running fast is like torture to me.