• Breakfast at Juniper & Super Bowl Sunday

February 4, 2014

After the incredible Farmers’ Dinner on Saturday evening, Mal and I had grand plans to sleep in late on Sunday morning (king bed, no pug), but somehow we were wide awake at 7:30 AM. Whomp whomp. I guess we were really looking forward to breakfast!

You see, during dinner the night before, we chatted with a couple of the PR folks from Hotel Vermont about the amazing breakfast that they had eaten at Juniper that morning. Mal and I had originally planned to have brunch at Penny Cluse (just like his undergrad days), but our conversation about Juniper totally swayed us. Everything just sounded so delicious!

So, on Sunday morning, once we had a chance to get ourselves ready for the day, Mal and I headed downstairs to Juniper for breakfast and grabbed a couple of seats at the bar.

Our first order of business: coffee! I ordered a decaf almond milk latte, which was outstanding. Seriously, it was incredible. The espresso was perfect and, get this, the almond milk was homemade, so it was super-duper creamy. What a treat!

When our meals arrived, Mal was so excited about his Eggs Benedict, he insisted that I take a photo of it for the blog. It was served on a homemade English muffin with sautéed kale on the side, and he absolutely loved it.

I ordered the egg sandwich (also served on a homemade English muffin) with cheddar and grilled kale. It was so tasty and probably one of the healthiest breakfast sandwiches I have ever eaten.

After breakfast, we packed up our things, took a quick belly shot (I’m getting big!), and checked out of the hotel.

IMG_1049

After that, Mal and I wandered around Church Street and did a little shopping for about an hour, but we eventually needed to head home to pick up Murphy from the “dog spa” (aka our friend’s house) and then go to a Super Bowl party.

IMG_1050

When we got home, we gave Murphy a special present!

A new UVM leash!

He loved it! Mal obviously did too. Go Cats go!

We watched the Super Bowl at our friends’ house. The guys huddled around the TV while the ladies chatted by the food. The Super Bowl is alllll about the food for me!

super_bowl_2014

Mal ended up being the dog whisperer during the game! Haha!

dog whisperer

Congrats to the Seahawks!

IMG_1080

Questions of the Day

What’d you do for the Super Bowl?

What was your favorite Super Bowl commercial?

I honestly didn’t watch too much of the Super Bowl (chatting + food + uneventful game), but I caught this commercial over the weekend and thought it was so funny! Just wanted to share!

Kim@hungryhealthygirl February 4, 2014 at 8:17 am

Juniper Grill looks awesome, especially that iced coffee! Cute belly shot! The horse Budweiser commercials are my favorite!

Becky @ Life Outside The BOX February 4, 2014 at 8:29 am

WOW that eggs benedict looks unreal! Homemade english muffin?? What a treat!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List February 4, 2014 at 8:36 am

is it sad that i lasted through half of the game then went to bed?

Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 4, 2014 at 8:42 am

I didn’t love the Superbowl commercials this year. There really aren’t any that stand out in my mind.

Cate February 4, 2014 at 10:19 am

Right? I said to my friend that all the companies need to fire their ad agencies! :) I did, however think the Doritos commercial with the time machine was pretty funny!

@Liz @ Tip Top Shape:

Nicole February 4, 2014 at 8:42 am

I loved the Budweiser puppy commercial!

Stacey February 4, 2014 at 8:43 am

That eggs benedict looks amazing! I didn’t watch the Super Bowl, but while I was watching the Puppy Bowl Subaru had some hilarious dog commercials!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 4, 2014 at 8:49 am

I can’t believe they had almond milk lattes! That’s basically impossible to find here in Chicago

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige February 4, 2014 at 8:49 am

Even though we live in CO, we shut the game off in Q4 – it was just miserable!

Christine (The Raw Project) February 4, 2014 at 8:55 am

Yum on the almond milk latte, nice! Agreed on the Superbowl, it’s about the food and social time for me too.

mary @ minutes per mile February 4, 2014 at 8:57 am

that egg sandwich looks awesome! you’ve inspired me to go get some english muffins and spice up my morning meal (which usually involves plain old toast)

Lindsay February 4, 2014 at 9:00 am

Hahaha, I LOVE those Subaru ads! Of course, I own both a dog and a Subaru, so how could I not?

Have you seen the SNL “commercial” about CVS? I know you love CVS, so it made me think of you:

Too funny!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 4, 2014 at 9:02 am

I didn’t have any plans for the SuperBowl (which I was OK with) but was hoping for a relaxing evening with a good game to watch. Didn’t quite get to watch a good game but I enjoyed relaxing for awhile. :)

Alex @ Kenzie Life February 4, 2014 at 9:10 am

That egg sandwich looks awesome! I went over to my best guy friend’s parents’ house for the Superbowl and was so excited because we all live in Colorado and I was *sure* the Broncos would win. Then at about half-time the whole room got silent as the reality of the beat-down sunk in and after that touchdown in the first 12 seconds of the 3rd quarter, we all just kind of ignored the tv and turned to the alcohol…kidding…well, kind of ;)

Jackie February 4, 2014 at 9:15 am

Your belly is adorable!

Maureen February 4, 2014 at 9:16 am

Almond milk lattes? I WISH I could find a decent one around here. I’m stuck making my own. That breakfast looks absolutely delicious!

Alaina February 4, 2014 at 9:20 am

We went to a friends house and had the best time. I seriously leave that house in stitches with how much laughing I do when I’m there. :-)

My favorite commercial was for Radio Shack. I kind of geeked out when I saw ALF. ;-)

Jenny February 4, 2014 at 9:21 am

I was disappointed in the commercials! :( And I wish there would have been more Red Hot Chili Peppers over Bruno Mars. We worked at the new house (almost done!) until around 7 and then headed home to watch the rest of the game.

Nikki February 4, 2014 at 9:26 am

Well, I am pregnant so I spent the morning puking. Then in the evening we went over to a super bowl party. I don’t know if you would even call it a party, it was my husband and I and two other people. This was a couple of 5 years who the guy out of the blue broke up with his girlfriend that morning. Can you say awkward?

Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life February 4, 2014 at 9:27 am

That egg sandwich DOES look like it would win the healthiest egg sandwich award. Wow! It also looks amazing ;) Your belly is too cute!

Sarah @ Sweet Miles February 4, 2014 at 9:39 am

There was a super cute Hyundai commercial about dad’s always saving the day, it was hilarious. You are looking so cute!! Look at that baby belly!

Jamie @ Dishing Out Health February 4, 2014 at 9:41 am

Omg yum!! Everything y’all had for breakfast looks outstanding! I wish we had decent almond milk lattes in Tampa :(

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner February 4, 2014 at 9:52 am

I really want an egg sandwich now! They both look amazing.

Livi February 4, 2014 at 10:05 am

My favorite was the Budweiser homecoming commercial for the soldier! The girl in the commercial went to my school, and the boy is from my friend’s high school, which made it even more awesome. I was definitely tearing up!

Elizabeth @ Positive Change February 4, 2014 at 10:17 am

I really liked the Seinfeld commercial! So funny!
    Juniper Grill looks amazing and your really making me want to visit Vermont!

Megan @ The Skinny-Life February 4, 2014 at 10:20 am

I gave up watching Super Bowl after half time. Too boring! But I had to listen to my neighbors watching it. They are very loud…ugh! Loved the half-time show!

Corrie Anne February 4, 2014 at 10:27 am

You look adorable!! And breakfast sandwiches on English muffins are the best. I didn’t watch the Super Bowl. I sent my husband to a party and stayed home to watch a documentary. Win-win!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food February 4, 2014 at 10:37 am

Your breakfast sandwiches look so delicious!

Kylie February 4, 2014 at 11:39 am

That egg sandwich looks awesome! Totally how they should be :) We had friends over at our house for the SB. Such a bummer game but the food, commercials, and half time show made it somewhat fun/entertaining.

Zahra@MusicandMarathons February 4, 2014 at 11:43 am

From someone who doesn’t watch football, I felt compelled to watch it since I’m from Denver. Least to say, I was disappointed :(
    Homemade almond milk in a latte sounds so good. I wish I could find a place that serves that here.

Kammie @ Sensual Appeal February 4, 2014 at 12:20 pm

I didn’t really watch much of the game either, I Was busy talking with my friend the whole time haha and it’s not like it was all that exciting anyway. I love the pics though and thanks for linking the commercial. Checking it out.

Caitlin February 4, 2014 at 12:21 pm

We had a party at my house which was nice because I could change into PJ pants after the half-time show, ha! The breakfast you guys had looks insane and I agree with Mal, his meal was definitely photo-worthy. Whenever I have a latte it tastes so decadent because I typically take my coffee black. Yours looks amazing! I love the color combo in your outfit too.

Kay February 4, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Hahaha that last picture of murphy & mal!! You guys seriously make me want a pug soo bad. Everyone in my apt building would definitely notice though.. also I don’t think any adoption agency will give me a dog as a student :/

Celina February 4, 2014 at 12:29 pm

I stayed home for the Super Bowl! It was very relaxing and I only watched the halftime performance, which was amazing!

Alyssa February 4, 2014 at 12:34 pm

That breakfast looks so good! The diner I went to for breakfast yesterday used a homemade English muffin for my eggs Benedict & it made all the difference.
    I didn’t watch the whole Super Bowl, just bits & pieces, because the Patriots weren’t in it lol. I did, however, watch the Puppy Bowl, which totally trumped the Super Bowl haha!
    I missed most of the commercials, but I loved the Budweiser one that had the little lab puppy run back to the farm to be with the horse. Omg, it was so adorable!

Megan February 4, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Question for you just about blogs in general – when you are given products to review, do you ever not like them? It seems like on this blog (and others that I’ve read) all reviews are really positive for all the free stuff you’re given. Do you just choose not to write about the bad stuff? Just curious because I love this blog but always wondered how that works!

Tina February 4, 2014 at 3:14 pm

In my early years of blogging, I wrote a lot more negative reviews, but nowadays I’m a lot more selective in what I say yes to. I typically don’t accept a product if it doesn’t interest me.

Sim @ The Micro Harvest February 4, 2014 at 2:06 pm

totally want to recreate your breakfast… the sandwich! the homemade almond milk latte! YUM

Abby February 4, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Tina, just curious if you and Mal have thought about names for your baby boy and if so, when you are going to reveal it!!!

Tina February 4, 2014 at 2:37 pm

We have! And we’ll tell family and friends when he’s born! 😄

Ashley @ Brocblog February 4, 2014 at 2:51 pm

My scoring system for superbowl commercials:
    Commercial with puppies: A+
    Commercial with dogs: A
    Without dogs: C-
    Talking dogs: F

Shel@PeachyPalate February 4, 2014 at 3:17 pm

I slept through it…I have stayed up for it in the past but I needed some snoozing time before work this year :) Breakfast looks incredible!!! All things eggs have me at the moment!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance February 4, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Murphy looks sad about the seahawks! hahaha! I have looked everywhere for a place that offers almond milk or coconut milk as an option but homemade is taking it to another level!

Bethany February 4, 2014 at 4:11 pm

We watched the Super Bowl at our house. Living in Seattle is has been an interesting week. My favorite commercial was #bestbuds with the horse and yellow lab.

Denise @ Do you have that in my size??? February 4, 2014 at 4:17 pm

I was so exhausted after a crazy week that I napped through most of the Super Bowl and was glad to find out that I hadn’t missed much in terms of the game or the commercials.

Peet’s Coffee and Tea ( http://www.peets.com/stores.html ) makes amazing Almond milk lattes – theirs is the only one I’ve found that actually foams like cow’s milk will. Mmmm.

sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com February 4, 2014 at 4:43 pm

my favorite part was all of the dog commercials! im a sucker for cute puppies

Sara February 4, 2014 at 4:49 pm

I was super excited for the super bowl this year! Russell Wilson is from my home town and married to a friend of mine so I got really into it. I was just at home by myself but was jumping up and down in my living room. By touchdown #5 I turned out my lights and went to bed. Poor Broncos

Ella February 4, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Wide awake at 7:30 on a weekend huh? I’d say you’re just about ready to be parents :)

Caroline February 4, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Haha, in a few years you will think 7:30 is sleeping late!

T. G. Greco February 9, 2014 at 8:03 am

I was hungry looking at your food pictures, but super cute on the last part with its puppies video…