• Week 5 Challenge: Drink More Water

January 24, 2014

This week’s challenge is to drink more water! Easy enough, right?

I’m actually pretty good about drinking water, but I know I could do a better job. I have no idea how much I drink per day, but it’s quite a lot (hence, the non-stop peeing). I constantly have a water bottle by my side (even when I leave the house), and I sip on it all day long, including with my meals. I pretty much only drink green juice and iced coffee, so water is my go-to beverage. Even still, I know drinking water is especially important during pregnancy, so my goal is to drink even more this week.

We all know staying hydrated is important to good health—even weight loss—so here are some easy tips (from one of my old Health posts) for drinking more water!

Flavor it.

Think water is boring? Add some pizzazz to it by lightly flavoring it. Try sliced cucumber or wedges of orange, lemon, or lime. Frozen berries sweeten your water and keep it cold at the same time. Fresh mint adds a refreshing zing to water. With so many different flavor options, it’ll be easy to drink more water!

Set a goal and keep track.

Not sure if you’re drinking enough water each day? Set a goal for yourself to drink X amount of water and then keep track throughout the day. Keep a tally on a piece of paper or dry erase board at your desk or on your refrigerator, so you’re constantly reminded of your goal. If you want to get high-tech, there are water bottles that keep track for you!

Keep it with you.

Is your biggest problem forgetting to drink water? Try keeping a water bottle with you to encourage constant sips throughout the day. I keep a water bottle on my desk as well as one in my purse, so I can reach for it all day long. Keeping a water bottle with you is a constant reminder to drink up!

Drink a glass with each meal.

If you like drinking milk or juice with your meals, try swapping it  for a glass of water instead. Can’t bear to give up your favorite beverages? Swap water for one or two meals per day or only drink half of your usual beverage and substitute the rest of your meal time drink with water.

A few posts that you might find helpful this week:

Happy drinking!

Questions of the Day

How much water do you drink each day? Do you keep track?

Besides water, what is your beverage(s) of choice?

Linda @ running4two January 24, 2014 at 10:16 am

I ALWAYS carry a water bottle with me. However, I’ve never really kept track of how much I actually drink per day. I can definitely feel it when I don’t drink enough after a long run or hard workout.

Coffee in the morning and water all day. Out to eat, I’ll order iced tea.

Jackie January 24, 2014 at 10:26 am

I’m gonna try adding frozen berries! Yum!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 24, 2014 at 10:29 am

I drink a TON of water, but I don’t keep track. I have a large camel bak water bottle that I always have with me – that’s how I drink so much. If you don’t have it with you then you’ll never drink water!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun January 24, 2014 at 10:38 am

I go through stages where I am really good at drinking water and then when I slack off. I will make it a goal this week to really focus on increasing my water intake!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 24, 2014 at 10:39 am

I drink a TON of water! Sometimes I wonder if I”m drinking TOO much water…lol

Maureen January 24, 2014 at 10:47 am

I drink tons of water everyday! I use a huge Starbucks tumbler and refill that a few times each day.

Karen@fabinyour40s.com January 24, 2014 at 10:51 am

I try my best to drink water but I don’t like it and I hated having to pee all the time. I have been drinking Zero calorie Vitamin water, the lemonade flavor. It’s not bad and I will drink them. Not sure how good they are for you but..

Sky January 24, 2014 at 10:52 am

I use the app waterlogged! I have been trying for 80 oz a day!

Livi January 24, 2014 at 11:01 am

I am trying to drink 100 oz a day! I don’t usually make it quite that high, but I like having a big goal to aim for.

Amanda January 24, 2014 at 11:01 am

I make a conscious effort at about 100 oz per day. Its harder on the weekend but I do my best!

Elizabeth @ Positive Change January 24, 2014 at 11:13 am

I am always carrying my water with me. I have a huge bottle and everyone makes fun of me but I love my water and I feel so much better when I’m drinking!
    I love adding things to my water (lemon) to make the water taste betters, especially in the winter months!
    I also drink coffee and tea, about 1 cup a day for each.

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run January 24, 2014 at 11:21 am

besides H20, iced coffee and iced green tea :)

Dana January 24, 2014 at 11:34 am

I think throughout my pregnancy I’ve been pretty good about drinking tons of water. I always have a bottle with me and one at my nightstand as I have awful heartburn and it wakes me up with coughing. I also get very dry during the night and the water helps. Most meals I have I drink water with.

I am still big on OJ, cranberry juice and coffee with a little creamer. And there’s nothing like a good ol’ soda pop once in a while. :)

Kylie January 24, 2014 at 11:51 am

I keep telling myself I need to drink more water! Last summer, I flavored it with lemon and cucumber so maybe I need to work that back into the routine.

Kirsten January 24, 2014 at 11:55 am

Hey TINA!

I am always trying to add more water consumption into my daily routine. I TRY to drink a glass of water before I even start to eat my meal. Kind of make it a game? haha!

Laura P January 24, 2014 at 12:13 pm

I have started carrying a water bottle in the car w/ me to drink to and from work. I usually have a large cup of coffee each morning and then it’s water. I am terrible about drinking it at home in the evenings. I am trying to bring the water bottle w/ me when I sit on the couch or at the table. At least it’s there so that’s progress.

Becky @ Life Outside The BOX January 24, 2014 at 12:20 pm

I use my trusty Starbucks tumblr every single day to drink water. By using the same cup all day I’m able to keep track of how much water I consume, and I find it a lot easier to drink out of a straw!

Megan @ TheSkinny-Life January 24, 2014 at 12:22 pm

I ALWAYS carry a water bottle with me after all, I live in the desert! My favorite bottles are Life Factory (all glass) and incredibly durable. I flavor my water with lemon. I also drink Le Croix sparkling water & Fresca.

Liana@RunToMunch January 24, 2014 at 12:24 pm

I got a soda stream which has greatly increased my water intake

Ashley January 24, 2014 at 12:44 pm

I’ve been very consciously working on drinking more water and actually started making water with lemon, cucumber and mint before I leave work at night, let it steep, and drink it through out the next day. It’s wonderful!

Lindsay January 24, 2014 at 12:48 pm

I drink a LOT of water during the day, but still find that it might not be enough! Living on island we have beautiful days and hot sun, and my I am not complaining BUT the H2O can sneak away from me as I sweat it out constantly! I’m joining in and keeping track this week. Other beverages: Coffee, smoothies (usually w/banana/kale/berries, chia seeds)

Erin Elder January 24, 2014 at 12:58 pm

I have been making a much greater effort to drink more water. I used to drink about a liter a day (approx 33 oz) Which isn’t saying much. Now I try to drink 33oz before my 12:00 workout and at least another 33-66oz AFTER my workout…

Abi@AbsofSteel January 24, 2014 at 1:04 pm

I already drink a bunch of water everyday. Besides coffee it’s probably the only liquid I really ever drink (exception: the occasional hot chocolate). However, I do have to be really careful to get enough water on long run day. When it’s so cold out it’s easy for me to forget that I’m actually losing a lot of liquid.

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner January 24, 2014 at 1:05 pm

I bring a water bottle to work with me every day and refill it at least twice, so I know I get at least 64 oz a day. Weekends, I don’t drink as much water, so I have to work on that!

sally @ sweat out the small stuff January 24, 2014 at 1:09 pm

I am the worst water drinker….actually liquids in general (except coffee…I never forget to drink 2-3 cups a day=). I have a poor thirst signal I suppose. I recently lost 5 lbs and I know it is because I haven’t been drinking enough fluids. I’m just dehydrated. UGH! What is my problem? So far today I’ve only had 16.9 oz of water (the small poland spring bottle size). I hate cold water. I need to bring bottled water to work and leave it on my desk. The water cooler water is just too cold for me. Thanks for this post =)

erica January 24, 2014 at 2:15 pm

I have a hard time remembering to drink water. I’ve been trying to be better and count the glasses I drink….sometimes it’s just so hard. lol. I hate having to pee all the time!

Ashley @ Brocblog January 24, 2014 at 2:31 pm

I definitely need to be working on my water intake! I try to add flavor or drink the fizzy water from trader joes because that stuff is delish.

Bethany January 24, 2014 at 2:31 pm

I drink a lot of water, easily 60 oz a day. I have a 24 oz Camelbak at work, which I usually fill twice. The only other drink I have regularly is coffee. At least 2 cups in the morning, sometimes 3.

Rachel @ Health My Lifestyle January 24, 2014 at 2:48 pm

My fitbit app helps me keep track of the water I’m drinking and I also try to drink a glass in the morning right after I wake up and another right before bed, just to make sure I’m staying hydrated. It helps a lot!

Shel@PeachyPalate January 24, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Apple Cinnamon Tea! I’m hooked! I also ACV in sparkling water with a few drops of stevia!! So refreshing! I stick sparkling water in a mason jar with frozen berries and mint, seal it tight and put it in the fridge overnight for the next day…beautifully infused!

Effie January 24, 2014 at 4:49 pm

I always need to drink more water! I love a good coffee but will mostly drink water – diet coke or water when I’m out too! One of my new goals is to drink more water :)

Lisa @ runningoutofwine January 24, 2014 at 5:05 pm

I know I drink a lot of water, but I don’t really keep track of how much. Some days I get busy and realize I didn’t have enough and I find it hard to make it up later in the day.

jen January 24, 2014 at 6:18 pm

I love adding the frozen pineapple from trader Joes, I always have my camelbak water bottle with me, target has them on sale so I think I might go grab another one. I like unsweetened tea with lots of lemon added, I can no logar have black tea due to oxalate stones so I’m switching to green tea which I read can prevent oxalate stones so win win. I also love a glass of OJ from time to time.

Brittney @ Sweets 'N' Greens January 24, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Love this challenge! I know I drink enough water during the week while I’m at work, but I definitely don’t drink enough on weekends. This weekend is my birthday, so I’m going to really focus on drinking lots of water between drinks so I don’t wake up feeling *too* horrible on Sunday!

Amanda January 25, 2014 at 8:00 am

Great challenge! I love water too — and I have my water bottle at my side all day long as well. My only problem is when I’m sipping water while out running errands, etc and I’m constantly having to make bathroom stops :) In the summer we love keeping a pitcher of water in the fridge that’s been infused with herbs and fruit.

Stephanie January 25, 2014 at 1:00 pm

I am great with water during the work day, but once I get home I’m really bad! It’s like I just forget! I doesn’t help that I don’t like to drink anything with my meal (just a weird thing I have because I don’t like the sloshy feeling in my stomach). This has been on my mind today because I woke up feeling parched! I definitely need to focus on this, so thanks for the reminder!

I hate drinking my calories so the only other thing I really drink is black coffee. However, I will say that I have had more than my fair share of hot chocolate the past few weeks thanks to the freezing temps in Massachusetts. It warms me up in a way that coffee and tea can’t.

Sade January 26, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Have you spoken to your ob about all that ab work? I know mine told me to be very gentle and careful about active abdominal work during my pregnancy. You need your abs to stretch and not to be tight. I understand it being hard to see your body changing and wanting to make sure you bounce back quickly, but ultimately your body will do what it’s doing to do. Just be careful…My doctors told me you can keep your abs strong by engaging your abs through proper posture and during your work outs but after the first trimester not to do repetitious ab workouts. But again, if yours says differently that’s between you and her/him.

Tina January 26, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Yep! She said I can do ab exercises as long as they don’t feel uncomfortable and they don’t! 😄

Wendy January 27, 2014 at 10:53 pm

Water is my main drink of choice. I carry a pink 750ml bottle with me everywhere. I put a purple rubberband on it, and slide it down each time I fill the bottle. Four fills = 3 liters of water. I find it an easy way to keep track. Otherwise I would never remember.