• Scenes From Last Week’s Photo Shoot

January 14, 2014

Good morning!

Just wanted to share some scenes from last week’s photo shoot for the Almond Board of California. Just in case you missed my previous post, I recently developed six healthy recipes and photographed them in a one-day photo shoot for them.

Truthfully, I was a tad stressed out about this project because I’m not much of a photographer. Sure, I can snap funny/cute/ridiculous photos of Murphy on my iPhone, but when it comes to professional-looking food photography, I need a little work.

However, my contact at the Almond Board assured me that I would do great, and, honestly, I just worked my butt off to make sure everything turned out well. I started by making vision boards and then shopping for props. The day before the shoot, I set up everything nice and neat, so I had exactly what I needed for each shot. It was totally Type A of me, but it kept me organized and on track.

I also cooked a couple of my recipes the night before, so I didn’t have to worry about making them on the day of the photo shoot. One less thing to do!

On the morning of the shoot, I moved my desk in front of our slider leading out to our back deck, which is the only place in our whole house that receives constant sunlight throughout the day.

_MG_0909 (900x600)

Since I no longer had a desk in my office, I moved my computer onto our dining room table, so I could look at and edit photos as I snapped them.

_MG_0994 (900x600)

And then it was time to get down to business!

_MG_0911 (600x900)

It took me nearly 7 hours to make, style, and photograph 6 recipes, but the work was well worth it. The folks from the Almond Board of California thought my photos were “gorgeous,” and they were really happy with how everything turned out. Success! It was such a great feeling finishing this project and knowing that it all went so well.

I’ll be sharing my almond recipes on CNC over the next several weeks—actually, my first recipe will be published tomorrow! I can’t wait!

Questions of the Day

What is the last big project you completed? Are you a Type A planner or more of a procrastinator/fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants when it comes to projects?

P.S. Checkout one of my favorite healthy recipes on Glamour: 10 Healthy Food Bloggers Share Their Favorite Skinny Recipes!

Livi January 14, 2014 at 7:42 pm

that is so amazing!! good job!

Jody - Fit at 56 January 14, 2014 at 8:34 pm

So exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can’t wait to read/see more! Murphy is so cute at the end!!!!

Kate @ Coffee with Kate January 14, 2014 at 10:09 pm

This is really cool to see behind-the-scenes of a photo shoot. Neat to see all the prep .. sounds like tough work!

Debbi January 15, 2014 at 3:41 am

Murphy certainly enjoyed cooking with you. lol! Unfortunately I am a type A planner for the most part, but I have moments when I just fly by the seat of my pants too. hahaha. Look forward to seeing and reading more on your upcoming recipes.

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats January 15, 2014 at 4:59 am

I love how organised you were! I think it is awesome you shot them all in a day I love the idea of doing them in bulk and then having the recipes ready to go. Can’t wait to see them all as they are released :)

Cara's Healthy Cravings January 15, 2014 at 7:09 am

I look forward to seeing the recipes!
    I am quite impressed by the amount of shots you did in one day, that is a lot!
    I am a food stylist assistant, for a food magazine in Canada, and we often do not schedule more than 5 shots in a day…so you rocked it!

sally @ sweat out the small stuff January 15, 2014 at 1:33 pm

I’m the perfect combination of Type A and fly by the seat of my pants!
    Well, let’s just say I start out all organized and then everything gets to be a hodge podge and I end up scrambling and making a mess of whatever my task is.

I’m a creative person so just picture “pig pen” from the Peanuts….There’s always disarray around me but in the end I can usually pull through. LOL!

Looking forward to trying out some of those recipes.

Tara | Treble in the Kitchen January 16, 2014 at 5:02 am

I love the idea of setting out your props all on one table…genius! :) I can’t wait to see the recipes and the photos. I am a huge almond lover!!

Pam January 19, 2014 at 7:34 pm

I would be stressed out too. You did an awesome job, can’t wait to see all of the recipes!!