• Our Attempt at Containing the Pug Fur

January 19, 2014

Ever since we bought our new couch, Mal and I have been losing a never-ending battle against pug fur. (It still amazes me, for such a little dog, Murphy can shed SO MUCH fur. It’s insane. I know the pug people feel my pain.) We recently bought a Dust Buster thing, and we vacuum the couch almost every day, but we just can’t win, so we considered other solutions.

Last week, Mal brought home a dog bed for Murphy so he can sleep on the floor next to the couch or even in the dog bed on the couch to at least contain the pug fur in a smaller space.

If you’re a long-time reader, you might remember Murphy’s affinity for dog beds. Actually, it’s more like a love-hate relationship. He either tries to rip them to shreds or he humps the crap out of them. Basically, there’s no gray area for Murphy when it comes to dog beds. Mal and I knew this full well going into our newest pug experiment, but it had been a few years since we tried the whole dog bed thing with Murphy, so we thought maybe he would calm down a bit about it.

Well, we were wrong. So very wrong.

Murphy went into full on freak out mode as soon as he saw Mal with the dog bed.

Mal could barely walk into the house without Murphy trying to rip it out of his hands! Haha!

The freaking out continued inside too.

Eventually, Murphy got so worked up about the bed, I decided to take him for a walk to calm him down a little. (He really wasn’t digging his new dog bed.)

IMG_0508

When we returned from our walk, Mal had put some treats and Murphy’s favorite bone inside the dog bed to try to change his mind about it.

This actually kind of worked, so we decided to feed Murphy his dinner in his bed too. (If you haven’t noticed already, this dog is highly motivated by food.)

Finally, we fed Murphy treats in his bed to get him to lay down and relax in it.

Later that night, we tried to get Murphy to stay in his bed on the floor next to the couch, but, of course, he wanted to be right next to us on the couch. We eventually moved his bed onto the couch with us, and he actually settled down and fell asleep in it.

The next day in the middle of the afternoon, I found him snuggled up in his bed (on the couch, of course). Maybe he was changing his mind about it after all!

photo (5) (480x640)

What a weirdo.

On Friday, I decided to buy Murphy a bigger dog bed since he didn’t quite fit in the first one, and I figured he’d be able to get more comfortable, especially since he was kind of digging the whole dog bed thing.

(I love how Murphy brings his favorite toys into bed with him! So cute.)

Since then, Murphy has pretty consistently slept in his dog bed. We haven’t gotten him off the couch quite yet (we probably never will), but at least the pug fur is more contained!

Health News & Views

Do your New Year’s resolutions include goals like healthy eating and regular exercise? Well, both of these require proper snacking!

It’s important to eat a snack or two a day if you want to stick to a healthy eating plan. If you go too long between meals you can end up famished, which makes it a lot more difficult to make healthy choices. Snacking keeps your blood sugar levels steady, so you’re better able to control your cravings and make better decisions about what to eat. Additionally, snacking before a sweat session lets you work out longer and harder, so you’re able to achieve your fitness goals more efficiently.

That said, here are seven nutritious snacks to carry with you when you’re on-the-go. They’ll help keep your hunger at bay throughout the day and give you energy when you need it. Happy snacking!

7 Nutritious Grab-n-Go Snacks

grab-n-go snacks

Questions of the Day

Has anyone had success with training their dog to get off the couch? Any tips for us?

Any ridiculous dog bed stories to share?

Andrea January 20, 2014 at 10:31 am

We have a “mini” bulldog. That term is apparently relative since she has grown to be 51 pounds. When she was a pup, she was always on the couch with us, but soon it was clear that she was getting way to big and she didn’t just sit on them. She went from couch to couch like a pinball and began putting holes in them, and she began guarding them as if they were her couches. That was not acceptable! We tried the spray bottle, loud noises, aluminum foil, solitary, and all things you tried and she pretty much reacted the same as Murphy (except for the humping…lol). We ended up getting invisible fence sensors under the couch. It has worked like a dream. (We tested the zappers on ourselves and it’s similar to a funny bone feeling. Not painful but not comfortable). We own our couches, she stays on the floor or her beds (she has several options), and everyone is happy. As far as the FUR, I’m thinking of investing in an iRobot vacuum if the dog doesn’t eat it!

Catherine January 20, 2014 at 10:53 am

Your post help start my Monday off right–Murphy is hilarious! My cat has a small bed and when my best friend brings her 80 lb. Chocolate Lab over to my house, the Lab will squeeze her big ol’ butt into/onto my cat’s bed, and sleep. The bed is so small that it’s invisible underneath her, but she’ll lie there for hours! Animals have quite the personalities!

Annie @ Annie Get Your Run January 20, 2014 at 10:55 am

No dog stories, but I will share this…

I have a black cat. And white furniture. I am obviously not a bright person.

Tina January 20, 2014 at 11:02 am

Ha! Sounds like us and our dark gray couch… although, it was worse with our navy blue couch!

Chrissy January 20, 2014 at 11:25 am

That’s a pretty great idea. I might try that if/when we ever get a couch. I actually used one of your ideas before about pets- you mentioned once that you put a tennis ball in Murphy’s food to get him to slow down when he’s eating. I was having a problem with my biggest cat, Digit. He was inhaling his food and then promptly throwing it back up… so I put a jingle ball in his food and it works pretty well! So thank you for that little tidbit!

Tina January 20, 2014 at 11:33 am

So glad it helped! :)

Kat January 20, 2014 at 11:38 am

Thanks for a great start to my Monday morning! I was literally laughing out loud when I read this post! My husband and I have a 9 year old cocker spaniel with the dark buff/golden fur…and dark brown furniture. It was tolerable until we lost our minds this summer and decided to get a cocker spaniel puppy…with white fur!!! Thank goodness our puppy (also a MURPHY) is so cute..because I was ready to get rid of him because of the shedding alone! We chose to crate train Murphy and he LOVES his bed… our older dog on the other hand.. he sounds like your little guy and needs to be EVERYWHERE we are!

Shannon January 20, 2014 at 12:58 pm

I LOL’ed at the pics of Murphy attacking the dog bed. I think he thinks it’s a big stuffie toy! One of my dogs is the exact same way and loves anything stuffed. I also have a dog bed ON my couch and it does help with the dog fur. I think if you don’t train them from puppies not to lay on the couch… you’re kind of out of luck! LOL. Sorry. Mine are the same way, so don’t feel bad! The dog bed at least keeps it contained, like you said!

Rachel January 20, 2014 at 1:06 pm

We couldn’t get our dogs to sleep in their beds either, but putting the bed on another piece of furniture did the trick. They actually love sitting on the bed if I put it up on a chair in my office, and once they figured that out, we got them to do the same on our bed or even in a laundry basket. So funny.

Kim @ Roaming Raspberry January 20, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Oh I hate dog hair more than anything! I don’t allow my dogs on the couch or bed for that reason (I can barely stand seeing it on the floor!). My only tip would be consistency. If I let my dogs on the couch even once they think it’s ok to do t anytime after that. The hardest part is when they sneak up there and you’re not lookin. You’ll have to keep a watchful eye on the guy for a while!

Kylie January 20, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Luckily, our dog doesn’t shed much (he’s a yorkie). I’m not a fan of sitting on someone’s couch and ending up with a bunch of fur on my backside – pet peeve for sure (especially not good when wearing black yoga pants! haha) but that was a good idea motivating him with food – looks like he’s warming up to it :)

Caitlyn January 20, 2014 at 6:23 pm

By far one of the best posts about Murphy!
    What a little character….haha

sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com January 20, 2014 at 6:36 pm

our dog was always allowed on our couches until we bought our new one. mulder picked up right away that he wasn’t allowed on the new couch but he knows that once ryan is gone, I’m will put a sheet down and let him up there with me. its so funny that he won’t even attempt that if he knows ryan is home.

Elle January 20, 2014 at 8:18 pm

I can’t get enough pictures of Murphy sleeping! We have two big dogs and nothing we do can keep the house fairly hair free.

Erika January 21, 2014 at 11:37 am

My dog has the same brown bed you bought Murphy and for some reason he loves trying to flip it over. He also feels the need to push it across the room so it’s leaving against my TV stand. Lol my dog is a nut.

Delaney January 21, 2014 at 11:47 am

We have two pugs and we moved them off the bed and couch several years ago. We also noticed they were getting up on the couch at night and when we were at work. We bought a long dog fence that you could shape around things. At night and during the day we set up around the couch. They eventually learned no more couch. But lets be honest I let them up sometimes ; )
    Ps: Pugs are the best but the hair is just awful, all I ever do is clean!

Nicole January 21, 2014 at 3:11 pm

The dyson handheld works wonders on dog hair on any type of fabric. There is a great attachment for dog beds! Do you have a furminator dog brush? I have two bulldogs and it really cuts down on the shedding.

Katrina January 25, 2014 at 4:48 pm

I’m crying with laughter here! Poor Pug xx

Lanni March 9, 2014 at 10:58 am

Not sure if someone already suggested this — but we have a pug also. We have him regularly buzzed at the groomer and this makes the shedding almost non-existent. We do live in Texas, so it’s hot most of the time and I think it keeps him cooler anyways. In the colder months we wait a little longer between haircuts for him and I totally notice the shedding coming back. He’s 9 years old and at this point, I figure there’s really no point to trying to keep him off the furniture — he’s old and set in his ways! But the shaving helps — good luck!

jr March 14, 2014 at 5:04 pm

I have a pug too. his name is Patrick. I know about the hair!!! I brush him with that desheding brush..it does help. then he goes to the spa every 6 weeks or so to get the full treatment and they do a great job with the brushing. may I suggest getting a bit bigger bed. it doesn’t have to be huge but Patrick likes a bigger bed!
    they are the best dogs. I was trying to copy and paste a picture but it didn’t take. thanks

Amy May 4, 2014 at 6:44 am

I have a pug, Pickles, and another dog that is a jack russell mix, Abby. Abby sheds like crazy, even compared to a pug (which I thought was bad until I got Abby). The two of them together make pet hair a daily battle for me. There is something that works better than anything else I have ever tried in my battle over pet hair on the couch and it is so simple.

Just take regular yellow plastic latex gloves and rub them over the couch or chair. It works like magic! I have tried vaccuums, deshedding tools, etc and nothing works like this. It gets all of the embedded hair out.

Tina May 4, 2014 at 7:23 am