• GHSHC: Try a New Healthy Recipe {Check-In}

January 16, 2014

Hello, hello! Just popping in for a quick week 3 check-in for the Get Healthy, Stay Healthy Challenge!

How’d things go with trying a new healthy recipe this week? Did we find some winners?! Please feel free to share links/recipes in the comment section. I would love to see what you guys enjoyed this week!

My new healthy recipes from this week:

Maple-Cranberry-Almond Protein Oatmeal

Creamy Chipotle Cheddar Veggies

I really loved both of these recipes and definitely plan to keep them in my regular rotation!

Here are a few pics from today…

This morning, I went to a 60-minute spinning class at Cycle Life Studio with my friends Kerrie and Marisa. (A big THANKS to those of you who told me about the Groupon!) The class was great, and I have a feeling spinning will become a new favorite workout of mine in the coming months as my belly grows. Spinning is awesome of pregnant ladies! FYI: Cycle Life Studio just opened last week, so they are offering your first class for free!

After spinning, the three of us stopped at Marylou’s for iced coffees. I went with Maple Crunch with a splash of soy milk. Delish!

When I got home, I whipped up a batch of green juice. I didn’t have time to make it this morning, so my day actually felt a little off until I had some!

Lunch was a turkey burger with garlic & herb Laughing Cow cheese, arugula, and tomato slices with a little bit of salt and pepper.

I also ate a million sweet potato wedges with ketchup. (Ketchup on everything!!!) I cooked 3 sweet potatoes-worth of wedges and ate about 2/3 of them… with plenty of ketchup, obviously. Man, they’re good.

This afternoon, I whipped up a batch of Creamy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Balls and, holy goodness, they’re incredible. The recipe will be on CNC next week!

What new healthy recipe(s) did you try this week? Please share with us!

Steph January 16, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Those oatmeal chocolate chip bars look amazing! And now I might make a sweet potato for dinner tonight…LOL

Annie @ Annie Get Your Run January 16, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Definitely trying those cheesy veggies this weekend!

Shel@PeachyPalate January 16, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Egg everything! Frittata was amazing – http://peachypalate.com/2014/01/15/weekend-brunching/ I LOVE spinning! Take 3-4 classes a week! One of the girls that comes on a Saturday is about 6 months pregnant now and still loving it but she has to nip out for the occasional pee break!

Karen@fabinyour40s.com January 16, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Tina, I made a Baked Oatmeal, banana and blueberry “cake” modified from another recipe. I made mine way less sweet. Here it is. The other recipe was yummy too! http://fabinyour40s.wordpress.com/2014/01/12/baked-oatmeal-with-blueberrybananas-and-baked-penne-with-pancetta-and-pumpkin/

Abi@AbsofSteel January 16, 2014 at 3:11 pm

i’ve been eating sweet potato fries this week too, not a new recipe for me but so delicious! I’m trying to create some sort of sweet potato lentil burger so that will be a new healthy experiment. fingers crossed it doesn’t flop

Linda January 16, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Spinning is definitely great during pregnancy. I spun up to my delivery. I went to my last class at 5 am friday morning and delivered Monday.

Danica @ It's Progression January 16, 2014 at 3:26 pm

I’m excited for that dessert recipe!
    It’s not new to me, but it’s one of my favorites…I made a batch of these 3-bean veggie burgers earlier this week. It makes a ton so I freeze them and have them for a while – so good!

Mika January 18, 2014 at 10:33 am

@Danica @ It’s Progression: Bean veggie burger caught my eye, those sound delish! I bookmarked your blog, super cute, and it looks like you have some seriously tasty recipes!

Stacy January 16, 2014 at 3:30 pm

I think I have mentioned, I teach spin part time and LOVE IT–perfect for anybody really, especially preggers!…………just make sure they don’t do weights and ride w/ little resistance like soul cycle does. its unsafe.

Ashley @ Brocblog January 16, 2014 at 3:46 pm

I completely forgot to do a recipe this week I feel like Ive barely been home at all! Maybe I’ll try something tonight.

Amy @ The Little Honey Bee January 16, 2014 at 3:54 pm

So excited for those balls! hehe

Caitlin January 16, 2014 at 4:06 pm

I like to do roasted sweet potato slices at home and I can’t get enough! I finished the entire batch last time my mom made them and then she told me that was 2 sweet potatoes – oops! Haha

Mia @ MakeMeUpMia January 16, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Oh man, I can’t wait for that recipe! YUM!

Molly January 16, 2014 at 4:14 pm

I made a Vanilla, Kale, Carrot, Spinach protein smoothie today- no fruit but SO good!

Also, made Paleomg’s pizza pie!

Tina January 16, 2014 at 4:28 pm

I want to make that pizza pie!!

Molly January 16, 2014 at 11:44 pm

@Tina: You must!! I added pepperoni and it was insane!

Kate @ Coffee with Kate January 16, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Every time you post anything from Marylou’s I want to cry because it just looks so freakin’ good.

Megan @ TheSkinny-Life January 16, 2014 at 4:23 pm

I started doing spin last year and I am addicted. It’s my favorite class. Your Creamy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Balls look amazing! I cannot wait to try!!!

KateL January 16, 2014 at 4:30 pm

I made your recipe for brussels sprouts with chicken sausage and laughing cow Herb and Garlic wedges, but I added a crapton of stuff to it. Clean out the fridge hash! I added some frozen kale, butternut squash, white beans and bacon to the original recipe, plus lots of garlic powder, red pepper flakes and bacon salt. Amazing!
    I also followed the link to your Glamour recipe (so cool, congrats!) and discovered a bunch of new healthy bloggers that I had never followed, so I wrote down a bunch of recipes from their sites that I can’t wait to try! Have been working 7 days a week since right after Christmas, one more week to go…Then I’ll make more time for new recipes!

Elizabeth @ Positive Change January 16, 2014 at 4:40 pm

I love spin class! I always feel like I get such a great workout in!
    I can’t wait to try those Creamy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Balls!

Kerri January 16, 2014 at 4:47 pm

My healthy recipe for the week is Jamie Eason’s Italian Turkey Burger. It is off the charts good!
    Italian Turkey Burger – Makes 8 burgers
    2 pkgs 93/7 ground turkey
    4 medium zucchini, grated (use your cheese grater and keep the juice too)
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp oregano
    1 tsp black pepper
    2 tsp dried basil
    2 tsp onion powder

Directions:

Set broiler on high, arrange rack so burgers will be about 2″ from the heat.

In a large bowl, combine everything and shape into 8 patties. Be careful not to over mix because it will make the meat tougher. Mixture is really moist so for easier clean up, use a foil lined baking sheet, prepped with non-stick spray.

Place burgers in oven and broil for 7 minutes. Carefully flip each burger and continue to broil for 7 minutes on the other side.

*These make great meatballs too! Make with spaghetti squash or zucchini spaghetti for a low carb meal.
    144 calories, 1 g fat, 3.5 g carbs, 27.6 g protein

To watch the cooking video go to this link below

Jessica January 16, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Tried a basic quinoa recipe. Great side dish!

Ashley @ Saving Money in your Twenties January 16, 2014 at 4:52 pm

YUM can’t wait for the oatmeal chip balls recipe- those look like cookie dough balls!

Rita January 16, 2014 at 4:57 pm

I can’t wait for that recipe!!! And I love the cute maternity clothes. Things have certainly changed since I had my oldest.

Jackie January 16, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Now I need some sweet potato wedges!

Brigid January 16, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Where can I find the recipe for the oatmeal chocolate chip balls?

Livi January 16, 2014 at 5:58 pm

can’t believe you’re still cycling! That’s awesome!

aleesha January 16, 2014 at 6:40 pm

i ordered one of these. can’t wait to try some recipes. looks like noodles….but its really zucchini. awesome.

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun January 16, 2014 at 6:59 pm

What an awesome cycle workout you had! You are do great! I really need to try some fresh juicing!

Holly January 16, 2014 at 7:04 pm

Can’t wait for that recipe! Looks delicious!!

Brittney @ Sweets 'N' Greens January 16, 2014 at 7:16 pm

I tried two recipes this week! The first was a Kale Lemonade Smoothie I made up (I love it!) –> http://www.sweetsngreens.com/2014/01/09/recipe-kale-lemonade-smoothie/

The second was this black bean quinoa burrito bowl recipe from Shiksa in the kitchen. Also amazing, and it makes great leftovers! http://theshiksa.com/2012/05/01/quinoa-black-bean-burrito-bowls/

Tina January 16, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Both of those sound awesome!

Stephanie January 16, 2014 at 7:22 pm

I really need to try spinning. The oatmeal chocolate chip balls look really good!

I actually made up a recipe! I was trying to think of what I had at home and realized we had some fresh mozzarella and pesto that needed to be used. So when I came home, I pounded some chicken breasts to thin them out, put some cheese and pesto in the middle, rolled them up (used toothpicks to keep them rolled), put a little more pesto in the outside, and cooked them in the oven. I couldn’t believe how good they ended up being!

Tina January 16, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Sounds delicious!

Christine January 16, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Looking forward to the recipe for Creamy oatmeal chocolate chip balls! I made guac this week but I added greek yogurt to it…and devoured the whole bowl! It was one avocado, dice red onion, minced garlic, cilantro, salt and yogurt..yummy in my tummy!

jen January 17, 2014 at 12:39 am

I made this Balsamic Italian Vinaigrette in my vitamix today and I need to make it x4 I made double the recipe and its almost gone it was so good!http://thenourishinghome.com/2012/04/our-favorite-healthy-salad-dressings/

Tara | Treble in the Kitchen January 17, 2014 at 4:47 am

I made homemade pecan butter (amazing!) and Averie’s sweet potato zucchini fritters :) YUM!

Jen January 17, 2014 at 8:07 am

I had on recipe fail and one not so bad. I happen to be on a sugar detox and both were “no sweet treats”;
    What happened to be a fail for me were truffels…very bitter.

What was pretty good was a “nutty cinnamon cake”, it was okay until I put almond butter on a piece and then it became awesome.

Jenn@ Mark My Mile! January 17, 2014 at 8:09 am

Your photographs are amazing!!!!

Tina January 17, 2014 at 8:15 am

Thanks! :)

Nikki January 17, 2014 at 9:05 am

I ate oatmeal daily for about 10 years. Then when I became pregnant, I have no desire for it anymore. I haven’t had any since October. How do I start incorporating it again? What’s your favorite oatmeal recipe?

Lesley Anderson January 17, 2014 at 9:21 am

You might have answered this before so sorry if it’s repetitive, but what kind of blender do you use for your green juice? Thanks!

Tina January 17, 2014 at 9:36 am

I actually don’t use a blender. I have the BELLA Nutripro juicer, which is awesome!

Lesley Anderson January 17, 2014 at 9:41 am

@Tina: Awesome! Thanks Tina

Audrey January 17, 2014 at 10:26 am

I was craving Pizza this week but I know I can’t stop myself at one piece and didn’t want to have quite that many calories so I made my first cauliflower crust pizza!!! I was really surprised at how good it was. I semi-followed this recipe http://www.domesticate-me.com/cauliflower-pizza-crust-with-roasted-vegetables-and-goat-cheese/ for a roasted-veggie pizza. Yum!

Yael January 17, 2014 at 12:30 pm

I made a variation of this salad for lunch this week. It was so good!

(I threw in some chicken-apple sausage to make it a little bit more filling and switched out the feta for some goat cheese.)