• Eats & WODs Lately

January 2, 2014

Hello, hello!

I’ve been slacking big time on posting about my eats and workouts lately, so I decided to include them all in this post. Here’s a snapshot of my meals, snacks, and CrossFit WODs lately!

BREAKFASTS

Egg sandwich on a toasted (semi-burnt – toaster oven malfunction) English muffin with a glass of freshly pressed juice (orange, carrot, romaine, cucumber)

Toasted English muffin with Teddie peanut butter and a glass of orange juice

Plain Greek yogurt with cantaloupe chunks and homemade granola

LUNCH/DINNER

BLT with roasted Brussels sprouts

Salad beast from Whole Foods

Turkey burger with Laughing Cow cheese, roasted sweet potatoes, ketchup, a pickle, and steamed spinach with sea salt and vinegar

SNACKS

Banana smoothie with coconut milk, vanilla protein powder, and chia seeds

Homemade guacamole with cheddar brown rice crackers

Starbucks Caramel Sea Salt Hot Chocolate

IMG_0103

Greek yogurt

Mixed berry smoothie

Celery sticks with nut butter and hot tea

WORKOUTS

I did this WOD yesterday—first workout of 2014!

I used 55 pounds for the Overhead Squats and Push Presses and finished 5 rounds with 9 seconds to spare. I was watching the clock to see if I could fit in one more Overhead Squat before it buzzed, but I ran out of time. Whomp whomp. This workout was definitely a quad smoker!

We did this workout the other day, and it was SO COLD outside! Brrrrr!

Resolution_WOD_from_CrossFit_781

I substituted Strict Knee Raises for the Toes 2 Bar, which I suppose is a pregnancy modification. I was never great at T2B before getting pregnant, so it would have taken me forever to do 20 of them, so I opted for Strict Knee Raises. I finished in 18:55.

This one was fun! My quads burned so bad on the overhead walking lunges!

Turkey_Shot_WOD_from_CrossFit_781

Once again, I substituted Strict Knee Raises for the Toes 2 Bar, mostly because of time. I can still do Toes 2 Bar, but I do them like a slow pregnant lady. Haha! I used 35 pounds for the Kettlebell Swings and a 35-pound plate for the Walking Overhead Lunges. I can’t remember how long it took me to finish this workout, but it was a good one!

Mal and I did the workout below during Open Gym last week. It’s a shorter version of a workout that our box did the day before, and I blogged about it here. It was a tough one. My butt was sore for days!!

Bombs_Away_Partner_WOD

Health News & Views

Happy New Year! For many of us, it’s time to make some New Year’s resolutions.

If they’re part of your yearly tradition, you may already have some ideas in mind. If not, you probably want to make sure that you set some realistic resolutions, especially with regard to your diet and fitness goals since they’re sometimes the hardest to keep.

That said, here are five smart diet and fitness resolutions that you should consider adding to your list for 2014!

5 Smart Diet and Fitness New Year’s Resolutions

Getty Images

Questions of the Day

How are things going with your New Year’s resolutions? Eating healthy? Exercising?

Are you keeping a food journal for the Get Healthy, Stay Healthy Challenge? I’ve been tracking my food all week long, and I will be writing a post with my check-in tomorrow!

Annette@FitnessPerks January 2, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Those eats all sound so delicious!!

With the new year I’ve definitely been loving my green berry smoothies–so yumm!

I think working out while pregnant made it all soooo much better & helped me stay with healthy habits, so I think it’s impressive you’re staying on top of your workouts. Way to go!

Alex @ Kenzie Life January 2, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Even though it’s cold out, all of those smoothies look amazing! I’ve been craving them lately for some reason. One of my goals for this year is to eat a little cleaner than I usually do, though I feel like I generally do a good job of that. When I went back to school I wasn’t great about meal planning and ended up eating out for at least lunch every day, so meal planning is one of my other big goals.

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio January 2, 2014 at 3:28 pm

The BLT with brussels sprouts sounds awesome!

Corrie Anne January 2, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Bombs away wod looks fun! I saw Curtis P’s on our schedule for tonight — yay!!

Sabrina January 2, 2014 at 3:45 pm

My big goal for this year is: clean up my diet to clean up my health.

I should track all my food for calorie purposes, but I am tracking so that I can focus on a cleaner, whole, diet. I’ll never love broccoli if I don’t start eating it!

Linda @ running4two January 2, 2014 at 3:53 pm

I started my food journal today…since I kind of “went out with a bang” last night and ate lots of ice cream. :) I’m so hungry after seeing all of your food!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 2, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Yeah I definitely haven’t been tracking my food…I started to one day and then stopped. I’ll try again.
    And celery sticks with PB are my FAVORITE! All you’re missing are the raisins and you have ants on a log. :)

Sarah January 2, 2014 at 5:16 pm

@Katie @ Talk Less, Say More: @Linda @ running4two: @Katie @ Talk Less, Say More: When I was younger we would core/slice an apple then smear it with PB add raisins, then call it ants on a toilet seat.

Tina January 2, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Hahaha!

Elizabeth @ Positive Change January 2, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Resolutions are going great! We are doing something a little different this year! I loved all your meals and that Whole Food Greek Yogurt is so amazing!

Ashley January 2, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Is it cheating if I start my resolutions on Jan 5? Its so hard to eat healthy when Im staying at my parents house but Ill be home and shopping for myself on Sunday and that seems like a solid time to start my new goals.

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats January 2, 2014 at 4:31 pm

I love those rice crackers! I just flew from my parents’ in KCMO to Chicago (sitting on the runway… Haha it’s been a long day) and I’m hoping to jump back into healthy habits now that I’m back to my regular life and schedule!

Kate @ Coffee with Kate January 2, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Love Teddie crunchy peanut butter! They’re from MA too.

Sarah January 2, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Hi Tina,

As a fellow 4 months pregnant crossfitter, I’m really interested in how you plan to modify exercises as you progress, or what you’ve heard/read we are supposed to do! For instance, I’ve already stopped doing sit ups and double unders because I’ve read exercises lying on your back aren’t recommended at this stage, and I feel kind of weird “bouncing” too much with DU’s. Maybe I am being too nervous…what do you think? I’m so impressed you can still do so much! Thanks!

Tina January 2, 2014 at 5:14 pm

I asked my doctor about that earlier this week, and she said I can do any and all exercises as long as they don’t feel uncomfortable, so I’m trucking along with my usual CrossFitting! 😄

Sarah January 2, 2014 at 6:04 pm

@Tina: Awesome, thanks. I think listening to your own body is def the way to go! Looking forward to keeping up with you!

Meredith January 3, 2014 at 8:16 am

@Sarah: I CrossFitted throughout my whole pregnancy, and my doctor said I could do anything as long as I was comfortable. Like Tina, I stopped doing some of the more “ab-by” type stuff, like T2B and sit ups. Burpees ended when my belly got too big. I just didn’t like hitting the baby on the floor, ha! I actually loved CrossFitting while pregnant. I felt so strong, and I knew my baby was healthy and safe. Enjoy!

Angela@ Fit to Inspire January 2, 2014 at 5:07 pm

That egg sandwhich looks amazing! is that a homemade english muffin??
    I am going to save all these wods for some open gyms they all look good!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance January 2, 2014 at 5:24 pm

That berry smoothie looks so good!

Abi@AbsofSteel January 2, 2014 at 5:39 pm

new’s year’s resolutions are looking good so far, food journal is also coming along pretty well

Jackie January 2, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Your eats look delish!!!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun January 2, 2014 at 6:20 pm

So far so good on the new years resolutions, but it is only day 2! I try to set pretty realistic goals so hopefully I will stick to all of them this year :)

megan @ that running girl January 2, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Great snack suggestions! Since I have a desk job, I am constantly forced to get creative with snacks that I can bring to the office. Some of these I could definitely make that morning and bring with me. :) Thanks!

Holly January 2, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Y.U.M.!
    Is that homemade granola a recipe you’ve already shared? It looks delicious!

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves January 2, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Ooo that guac looks fantastic. And now I want to make an egg sandwich! Thanks for sharing your WODs— they look killer!

Nicole B January 2, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Hey Tina, I was curious how you handled the first trimester and CrossFit? Did you tell your coaches early-on or just go with the flow? Were you worried they would wonder / speculate if you modified?
    Just curious as I’ve been CrossFitting 2 years and hoping to be pregnant soon!:)

Tina January 2, 2014 at 7:59 pm

I didn’t make any changes/modifications in the first trimester! 😄

Nicole B January 2, 2014 at 8:21 pm

@Tina: I guess no one suspected or said anything? sweet:)

Carrie @ DietDeepDish January 2, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Your green juice looks amazing! I’ve been wanting to try making my own. Do you have a favorite combination?

Tina January 2, 2014 at 8:35 pm

It’s called Everyday Green Juice, but I’ve been getting a lot more creative lately! 😄

Meg @ A Dash of Meg January 2, 2014 at 9:23 pm

girl, i really appreciate you sharing your WODs :) thank you so much! Also love seeing what you’re eating! Thank you gorgeous xo

Kayla January 2, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Your food looks so yummy! I have been obsessed with brussel sprouts lately after turning my nose up at them for years. For Christmas dinner I roasted them then drizzled just a little bit of Teriyaki on them. So good!

Mili January 2, 2014 at 9:26 pm

What kind of juicer do you have? Your juices always look delish!

Tina January 2, 2014 at 9:28 pm

It’s the Bella NutriPro!

Lani January 2, 2014 at 11:40 pm

What did you decide about coffee, both for colitis and in pregnancy? Decaf only or just less coffee?

Alyssa January 3, 2014 at 12:54 am

Craving a big scoop of chunky peanut butter after seeing that picture, but I’m already in bed. Dilemma…

For 2014 I’ve decided to set more goals, but smaller thresholds for success. Add a recurring weekly feature to my blog, brush up on my Italian (vs. stress myself out by aiming for fluency), successfully make a batch of meringue cookies, etc. Feeling hopeful for the year ahead! :)

Laura @ RunningJunkie January 3, 2014 at 8:19 am

You’re really making me want an english muffin egg sandwich and some celery and Sunbutter. YUMMY!

sara @ fitcupcaker January 3, 2014 at 9:15 am

ive been loving greek yogurt lately, and egg sandwiches!! I think I might try that first wod at open gym this sunday! I also need to try the turkey shot wod, I am always looking for new wods to do on my own!

Sanaz @Run for Cake January 3, 2014 at 10:19 am

Yum! I love egg sandwiches. They are the best!

Jolynn @ Lift Pray Love January 3, 2014 at 11:03 am

I’m moving in so I can have all your juice creations.

Sarah @ Sweet Miles January 3, 2014 at 11:17 am

Mmmm homemade guacamole!! DELISH! Everytime I come to your site I want to check out crossfit more and more!

Skyler January 3, 2014 at 12:33 pm

I MUST ask you what brand your fab jacket is that you are pictured wearing with your Starbucks…I’m in love!

Tina January 3, 2014 at 1:15 pm

It’s Kenneth Cole Reaction, but I got it at Marshalls a couple of years ago.

Kelsey at The Primal Yogi January 3, 2014 at 12:38 pm

I love the way you display your WODs! What site do you use? I definitely want to try one of those this weekend. They all seem like the kind of WOD that “doesn’t seem that bad” but are still killer!

Tina January 3, 2014 at 12:50 pm

PicMonkey.com!

Mia January 3, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Delish looking eats. I love a good English muffin! What brand/ kind do you buy? You may have posted it and I just missed it, but how is your colitis now that you are pregnant? Are you pretty much just eating what you want unless you find that it irritates/bothers your system? Pretty sweet if you can! :)

Jeanie @Breakfast for Dinner January 3, 2014 at 7:51 pm

The homemade granola looks dee-lish! Can I find that on the blog somewhere?
    Thanks!

Tina January 4, 2014 at 9:36 am

It was similar to this recipe, but I never make the same mix twice. I just use whatever I have in the kitchen! This batch had hazelnuts, shredded coconut, dried cranberries… and other good stuff!