Good morning! Happy Monday!
Some random tidbits for the morning:
- FREE CANDY! You can get a package of M&Ms or a Snickers (or any “Mars chocolate single”) for FREE at CVS this week with your ExtraCare card! Hey, I’m excited. I have a special love affair with peanut M&Ms.
- The Harvest Your Bundle Sale ends tonight at midnight! Hop on it to get some amazing health and wellness resources for just $39!
- I posted the challenge for week 2 of the Get Healthy, Stay Health Challenge! It’s all about getting your sweat on this week, and my post includes a bunch of fun workouts! Check it out!
- Please ”˜like’ Carrots ”˜N’ Cake on Facebook! Did you know CNC is on Facebook? My page is relatively new, and it would love some love from ya!
- Dogs are so smart! Just wanted to share this article: Dogs do doo-duty in alignment with Earth’s magnetic field.
So how was your weekend? Mine was relatively low-key. We got a pretty big snow storm late in the week, so I wasn’t super motivated to leave my house, except for a couple of special occasions. (Winter, snow, and I generally don’t get along.)
Murphy and I kept ourselves entertained with pug Glamour Shots.
On Saturday morning, I managed to rally, but barely. ONE degree?! Really?
But CrossFitters are crazy people, so off to 781 I went!
I loved this WOD! Well, actually “loved” is a more accurate description. This one hurt, but in a “good” way and once it was all over, of course.
21-5-9 of these three movements isn’t so bad, but when you do them for 20 minutes straight, they become quite challenging. I did the workout as prescribed, and I was actually a little worried about the 75-pound power cleans, but they ended up being the “easiest” part of the workout. The over-the-bar-Burpees where brutal. I felt like I spent half the workout just doing those! And now that I have a baby belly forming, I do them a lot slower and lower myself down to the ground, so my arms were especially smoked by the end of this workout. Even still, great WOD. I finished 5 + 9 Rx.
You know you’re from New England when”¦
After CrossFit, I had a serious craving for pancakes, so I whipped up a big batch with (defrosted frozen) blueberries and, oh my goodness, they were delicious. I wish I had snapped a photo before I demolished them! Here’s the recipe in case you’re interested!
Gluten-Free Blueberry Pancakes
- 1 cup almond meal/flour
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 large eggs
- 1.5 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup blueberries + more for topping
- Combine all ingredients, except for blueberries, in a large bowl and mix well. Once batter is smooth, stir in blueberries.
- On a prepared griddle on medium/high heat, use a 1/4 cup to portion batter and pour onto griddle. Cook each side for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned.
- Top with maple syrup and fresh blueberries.
Serves 2-3 (1 Mal serving + 2 Tina servings)
I spent the rest of Saturday afternoon cleaning the house while Mal ran errands. When it’s cold and snowy outside, I’d much rather stay home than venture out, so I offered to clean the house from top to bottom while Mal went grocery shopping and picked up a few things at Lowe’s. (The house projects never end!)
On Saturday night, we had a few friends over for football, snacks, and drinks. I honestly can’t remember what game we watched, but it was a lot of fun hanging out with everyone and chowing down on delicious appetizers.
Murphy had an especially nice time and passed out even before the game ended.
Yesterday, I went to my friend Beth’s baby shower, which was so nice. It was Winnie the Pooh-themed and absolutely adorable!
Question of the Day
What’s your relationship with snow and winter? Love it? Hate it? Love it through December and then hate it until early April?