• Pregnancy Plank Tabata

January 24, 2014

Hello!

Just wanted to share a quickie workout that anyone can do, but the pregnant ladies might especially be interested in!

I’m really trying to keep my abs strong throughout my pregnancy, so I’ve been doing this 4-minute plank Tabata a few times a week. Surprisingly, the 20-second holds get pretty tough toward the end!

For this workout, hold a plank (on your hands or forearms) for 20 seconds and then rest for 10 seconds. (You can download a Tabata app on your phone to make keeping track a little easier.) Then, repeat this work-rest cycle for a total of 8 times. This workout will take you just 4 minutes to complete.

Pregnancy_Plank_Tabata

Obviously, I am not a doctor, so be sure to check with yours before trying any new workout, including this one.

If you’re interested in further strengthening your core or just want more of a challenge, check out my 4-Week Plank Challenge!

2012-10-23_0833

Happy planking!

Breakfast

This morning’s breakfast was a Rudi’s tortilla with almond butter, marmalade, chia seeds, and sliced bananas inside. I then nuked the whole thing in the microwave for 30 seconds to get the nut butter all melt-y. Mmm! I also drank a blueberry smoothie with breakfast.

Lunch

Lunch was leftover Pizza Spaghetti Pie from PaleOMG that I made for dinner last night. So many people have mentioned this recipe to me, I just had to see what it was all about—and it did not disappoint. It was incredible and so easy to make. I de-Paleo-fied it by added shredded cheddar on top, and it was an especially delicious decision. Holy yum!

photo (640x480)

How often do you work your core?

What do you think of planks? Love ‘em? Hate ‘em?

What recipe is currently on your to-make list?

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run January 24, 2014 at 2:29 pm

I often do the same plank tabata to finish up a workout. They are tough!

Your purple smoothie looks tasty!

Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit January 24, 2014 at 2:33 pm

I used to hate planks, but now that I do them more often, they’re more tolerable. I try to do some kind of core work at least 3x a week, but it’s my least favorite. I’m on the hunt for a good protein-energy ball recipe!

Kylie January 24, 2014 at 3:08 pm
    Sara @ LovingOnTheRun January 24, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Planks – they are a necessary evil. I love seeing improvement when I do them but man are they hard!

Sarah @ Sweet Miles January 24, 2014 at 2:46 pm

I am terrible at planks! It’s always such a good feeling though when you do them, but man oh man, I need to work on my ab strength for sure!!

Molly January 24, 2014 at 2:50 pm

I made that last week with pepperoni on top- so good!

I do planks a lot, I used to be up to 8 minutes straight. I broke my hip about a month ago (I am only 25!!) so have been doing crunches, which is basically all I can do. I will have a lot of work ahead fitness and core wise when I get back to it, but it will be a welcome challenge!

Kylie January 24, 2014 at 3:06 pm

I like planks! (By LIKE, I mean I find that they truly work your whole body and are good for you!) I use the medicine ball (forearms on ball, move ball front, back, in circles) to help work stabilizing muscles. I usually work my core 2-3 times a week. I love when my abs are sore the next couple days!

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine January 24, 2014 at 3:14 pm

I do core work everyday right when I wake-up! I love planks and love to all different variations! They are one of the best exercises and my faves!.
    O, I have always wanted to try Rudi’s tortillas, but can’t find them anywhere :/ How are they? Are they even worth trying?

Tina January 24, 2014 at 3:16 pm

They’re ok. I like the Trader Joe ones better!

Annette@FitnessPerks January 24, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Looks like a ‘fun’ workout! ;)

I do core workouts at least 2x/week when I teach CXWORX–and man is that class tough. We often hold hovers (planks on the elbows), for minutes at a time & then add stuff like arm & leg tapping. Youch. I have noticed a dramatic increase in strength since teaching that class-and I think it’s what helped me bounce back quickly from pregnancy!

Mmmm almond butter with jam type stuff is so dang good!

Aurora@Fitness is Sweet January 24, 2014 at 3:32 pm

I recently starting doing planks everyday, and it’s amazing how fast it makes a difference!

Ashley @ Brocblog January 24, 2014 at 3:35 pm

I do plank tabatas all the time because I find myself holding a lot of weight with my shoulders if I try and plank for too long. Sometimes I mix it up and do a different type of plank at each interval (one leg up, hip dips, etc)

Katie D. January 24, 2014 at 3:47 pm

I have been doing a lot more planks since I hit my second trimester since I can technically no longer lay down on my back for abs exercises…I love planks and they always deliver on the soreness factor the next day! I am hoping to keep a strong core as well through this pregnancy.

Karen@fabinyour40s.com January 24, 2014 at 3:51 pm

I have been making almond butter flourlsess pancakes that you bake. I mix and match add ins to make them different. My favorite is chocolate chips. See the recipe- it’s easy! http://fabinyour40s.wordpress.com/2013/10/06/almond-butter-flour-less-pancakes/

Catherine Deist January 24, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Great minds think alike – I made Paleomg’s Pizza Spaghetti Pie last night, too. My husband and I loved it! Julie’s recipes are always delish!

michelle kim January 24, 2014 at 4:36 pm

I try to do core work at least three times per week. I love doing planks and plank variations to get the core workout done in just 10 minutes!

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance January 24, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Planks are so hard! I love that you posted this! I would love to see more posts like this one!

Elizabeth @ Positive Change January 24, 2014 at 4:54 pm

That seems like a really hard workout! I do Ab Ripper X every other day and I really love how it makes my core feel! I love planking, looks easy but super hard!
    Your dinner looks super yummy and I have this bean dip from Iowa Girl Eats that I am hopefully making soon!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries January 24, 2014 at 5:22 pm

I really need to be better about my core. I’ve tried to be more mindful of doing it lately, and so far, so good. I couldn’t believe how much pregnancy weakened it though, so that’s great you’re making it a priority!

Brittney @ Sweets 'N' Greens January 24, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Yumm that pizza bake pie looks delicious :) And thanks for the reminder links to your plank workouts! I’ve been wanting to do a plank challenge of some kind for awhile and some of these workouts would be great to add in!

Samantha @ Anatomy of My World January 24, 2014 at 7:15 pm

I’m loving Southwest style spaghetti squash! You can add all the veggies you want, a little spices to make it southwest-y and BAM delicious.

Tiffany Dutson January 24, 2014 at 7:34 pm

I love planks! They seem to be getting harder to do now that I’m further along in my pregnacy:(

Kathy @ www.realfoodandrealfitness.com January 24, 2014 at 8:52 pm

I love planks!!! They provide such a great workout.
    Try this: http://realfoodandrealfitness.com/2013/09/whole-wheat-apple-oven-pancakes/

Aimee January 24, 2014 at 8:57 pm

I made that spaghetti pie for dinner two nights ago. Without the cheese it was still the bomb! My kids requested it again for next week!

Ellen Renee January 24, 2014 at 9:51 pm

I am trying to recall if you eat canned tuna…if you do…check out Tracey’s Culinary Adventures Asian Tuna Cakes with spicy lime mayo. That has been my favorite recipe find this past year. She served it with sugar snap peas and the picture alone made me instantly crave it (I love tuna though). I just buy a bag of frozen peas and toss a bit of soy sauce on them when they come out of the microwave – easy delicious meal.

Megan @ TheSkinny-Life January 24, 2014 at 10:42 pm

I work abs 3x per week & planks are part of my routine. I get bored holding them longer than a minute though. I try to mix in exercise ball planks & rollouts to keep it interesting. By the way, the pizza spaghetti looks incredible! I will be trying that recipe soon.

Luv What You Do January 24, 2014 at 10:46 pm

My gym has a tabata class that everyone raves about. I’ll have to check it out!

Val January 25, 2014 at 12:00 am

I swear that doing planks and yoga (core) through my whole pregnancy made labor so much easier (that…, and the epidural, lol). But really, I pushed 4 times within about 5 minutes and there he was! I was expecting that part to take an hour or so!

Sarah @ hairwaytovegan January 25, 2014 at 1:30 am

Im not preggo, but the plank challenge is definitely something I would like to try out. One round regular plank and another round alternating side planks might make it a bit exciting, or possibly just too much.

Livi January 25, 2014 at 7:32 am

that spaghetti squash pizza looks amazing!!

2 Cups 'N Run January 26, 2014 at 4:40 am

My main drink to hydrate is water, I don’t keep track but I know that I’m around 3 liters every day. Also after workout, usually just water, except for harder workouts when I’ll add a NUUN tablet.
    I also have coffee everyday, and tea on most days.
    I almost never drink soda or juice, except for fresh juice maybe once or twice a week.

Anna January 29, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Thanks for the link to your plank challenge. I know it’s been and gone but I’m going to have a go! This is exactly the sort of thing I’ve been wanting to do as core workouts always absolutely kill me. I timed myself tonight and I got 2:35. I’m thinking 5:00 is a good goal (although that seems like a LONG time!). Have you done any other similar fitness challenges on the blog in the past? Thanks again for the motivation :)