• Playing Catching Up & Sunday WOD

December 15, 2013

Hi, friends! Happy Sunday!

Thank you so much for all of your sweet comments on my previous post. Mal and I are so happy and excited to start this journey together. And I can’t believe we’ll have a little one this time next year!

I have so much to tell you guys… about Baby Haupert, my first trimester, Cabo/Esperanza, 24 Days of Togetherness and, hey, just life in general—so I will definitely be playing catching up over the next few days. Lots of blogging to come!

Ok, where should I start? Hmm… how about a little recap of this weekend?

So I arrived in Boston late on Friday night, so I went straight to bed as soon as I got home. Ok, well, I talked Mal’s ear off about Cabo and then I went to bed. I was exhausted, but so excited to share my experience at Esperanza. That place is incredible! Recap to come!

IMG_9525

On Saturday morning, Mal and I slept in really late, made breakfast sandwiches and iced lattes, and then we went grocery shopping for the week.

Here’s this week’s meal plan:

Where’s Waldo?

Speaking of “Waldo,” Friday’s 24 Days of Togetherness was “buy a present for Murphy,” so when Mal and I went grocery shopping, we picked up a bag of peanut butter-flavored Buddy Biscuits, which, of course, the pug loved. You know how he feels about peanut butter!

Since we’re on the topic of 24 Days of Togetherness, here are some picks from earlier this week:

Day 11: Buy a holiday decoration for our house.

Since I was headed to Cabo, I told Mal I’d buy something from there for our house. I know we didn’t technically do this together, but we didn’t buy any souvenirs from our CrossFit trip in August, so I thought it would be nice to have something to remember our trip.

photo (17) (450x600)

Esperanza had these gorgeous glass hearts hanging all over the resort, and I was told Cabo is known for glass-blowing and these beautiful hearts, so I bought a small one to hang on our Christmas tree.

Day 12: Buy each other $5 gifts.

Mal bought me comfy and cozy Dearfoam slippers. (He told me they were on sale at Kohls, so technically they cost more than $5, but not much more. I love that he made it a point to tell me this! Haha!)

I had a layover at Chicago O’Hare on my way home from Cabo, so I bought Mal a Popcorn Rock.

You add vinegar to it and popcorn crystals form! It’s totally right up Mal’s alley!

Day 13: Buy a present for Murphy.

See above! Winking smile

Day 14: Play Words with Friends.

Yesterday we played Words with Friends. Mal and I hadn’t played a game in 549 days, so I definitely felt out of practice, but I still managed to beat him by two point! Yay! And, of course, we’re still playing Words with Friends today. I forgot how fun it is!

The rest of Saturday night included lots of R & R and general laziness. We were suppose to get a huge snow storm, so Mal and I stayed in, built a fire, and watched movies while we snuggled on the couch with Murph.

This morning, Mal and I woke up bright and early for Open Gym. We met Kerrie there, so the three of us did a short, but challenging WOD. It was definitely a lung burner!

Mal and Kerrie smoked me on this WOD, but I did it Rx and finished in 13:04. Not too shabby!

12-15_CrossFit_WOD

After CrossFit, I chowed down on an orange.

And then made an egg white scramble with spinach, feta, and pesto with a piece of toast with butter on the side.

After that, I ventured into the world of homemade Chex mix and made my very first batch of Muddy Buddies. Chocolate and peanut butter? Hello!!? Serious YUM! I don’t know why I waited so long to try it. Now I just don’t hope I eat the whole batch myself!

Wayfair Accent Chair Giveaway

Thanks to everyone who entered to win an accent chair from Wayfair (Sorry that I am just picking a winner now.) Here’s your winner:

Sarah Lelena

I need an accent chair! We just moved to a new house and I keep saying that we need another chair for the living room. I love the chair in Stone.

Congrats, Sarah! Please email me at tina@carrotsncake.com with your full name, mailing address, and color choice of chair to claim your prize.

Questions of the Day

Thoughts on homemade Chex mix? Am I in trouble now that I’ve discovered it? What’s your favorite mix?

Are you involved with a game of Words with Friends right now? If not, what game are digging right now?

How was your weekend?

P.S. Nikki’s Coconut Butter is holding a one-day sale (TODAY)! Use END2013 at checkout and get 15% off your entire order! Nikki’s would seriously make an awesome Christmas gift!

P.P.S. Just wanted to share this with the Christmas Abbott lovers… Christmas is working with Reebok to produce a video series called “12 Days of Fitness,” which will feature exercise examples, healthy eating tips, and stretching recommendations for the 12 days leading up to Christmas. Feel free to follow along on her various social pages!

Ashley @ Snow Cream and Syrup December 15, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Chex are gluten free so I don’t need to mix them with anything to eat too many of them…

Now that you said “muddy buddies” I may have to dig out the leftover baking chocolate from hubby’s birthday cake a few months ago and make some… mmm.

Shel@PeachyPalate December 15, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Quite the week/weekend!!! Love the slippers! Can’t wait for the Cabo recap and congrats again! So excited for you!

Sarah December 15, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I just made some of that myself to use up leftover Chex, but we call it “puppy chow” here in MN!

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl December 15, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Oh my….. I don’t think I need to get started on the muddy buddy. That stuff is sooooo addicting! Glad you had a blast in Cabo. Can’t wait to hear more about it!

Jessica Rose December 15, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Sounds like you had a busy week! Your pug is too cute….dogs are so easy to train when it comes to wanting treats!! ;)

Kristy December 15, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I’m so excited to hear more about your pregnancy. You’re my age and my husband and I are trying to conceive. Congrats again!

Molly December 15, 2013 at 4:03 pm

We call it puppy chow where I am from! (MN)… I cannot believe you’ve never had it! It was a staple growing up. Now, I stay away because I have zero self control around it!

Monica December 15, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Don’t get me started on any version of chex mix-it’s totally addicting (at least to me) and if I make a batch for ‘the family’ I end up eating most of it! I love WWF-I play constantly-favorite game app on my phone. We just got back from seeing The Hobbit 2 and eating a delicious meal (with dessert AND a glass of wine) out for my b-day. It was great day!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun December 15, 2013 at 5:33 pm

My husband LOVES muddy buddies and I have been meaning to try various recipes of it. It is dangerous for me to have around the house so I try to only make it for special occasions :)

Jackie December 15, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Congrats again on the pregnancy I can’t wait to hear all about this next chapter!

Gina December 15, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Muddy buddies?! That’s Puppy Chow here in Texas ;-)
    Can’t wait to hear about the recaps!

Fecteau5 December 15, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Could you share your latte recipe? I’m curious to quench my coffee addiction during my pregnancy!

Tina December 15, 2013 at 6:59 pm

It’s just decaf espresso, almond milk, and ice! 😄

Danica @ It's Progression December 15, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Puppy Chow is seriously one of the most addicting desserts! I typically only make it once or twice a year because I’ll eat it until it’s gone otherwise. Oh, and I always throw peanut M’n'Ms into it. Yum!

Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life December 15, 2013 at 6:51 pm

I love Vanilla Chex. I think making it into muddy buddies is just as dangerous as leaving it as is! ;) So happy for you guys with Baby Carrot! :)

Becky @ Olives n Wine December 15, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Muddy Buddies – SO SO good! I always call them puppy chow though :) Can’t wait to hear all about Baby H!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake December 15, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Muddy buddies are AMAZING! One of my co-workers had a box of snack pack muddy buddies and didn’t want them so I scooped them right up! They’re proving to be a nice little afternoon treat. :-)

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries December 15, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Muddy Buddies are the most dangerous thing in the world around me! Haha. I love them so much. My friend and I call them “Muddy Enemies” because they’re so addicting. ;) Can’t wait to hear more of your catch up posts!

Alex @ Kenzie Life December 15, 2013 at 8:33 pm

I totally forgot about muddy buddies or as my family in the south calls it, “puppy chow”. That was my favorite thing as a kid! Thanks for reminding me :) I’m making some as soon as finals are over!

Ella @ Ellaphant Eats December 15, 2013 at 8:53 pm

I also know muddy buddies as puppy chow and could plow through an entire batch in one sitting! I am so so excited to hear more about baby H. I’ve been reading along for a long time and finally decided to play along and comment :)

Brittany December 15, 2013 at 9:07 pm

I grew up calling muddy buddies “Trash” and we made it all the time. It’s so delicious! I can’t believe this is your first time making it. You’re going to be addicted. :)

I really like the original Chex Mix recipe (http://www.chex.com/Recipes/RecipeView.aspx?RecipeId=6709) and I have a recipe for holiday protein muddy buddies that’s pretty good too (http://www.eatingbirdfood.com/2012/12/holiday-protein-muddy-buddies/).

Sheena @ Paws and Pavement December 15, 2013 at 9:24 pm

I love Muddy Buddies! But yes you are in trouble they are sooooo good! I found a “healthy” (lower calorie) version on pinterest that I need to try out. I will let you know if I do and if it’s any good.

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats December 15, 2013 at 9:59 pm

I’ve not tried Chex mix before but I don’t think we have it here in Australia.

Looks like you and Mal had a great time with the things you’ve done so far for your 24 days of togetherness. It has been ages since I played word with friends.

Livi December 15, 2013 at 10:15 pm

that all sounds so fun!! But you know we all want to hear about the baby!! haha :)

Runner Girl Eats December 16, 2013 at 6:20 am

Am I weird that I actually am not crazy abotu muddy buddy mix? I love that ornament though! Can’t wait to see your Cabo recap :)

Annie Atherton December 16, 2013 at 7:55 am

I always make the original Chex Mix around several times starting at Thanksgiving. My husband loves it and has very particular “rules” about what goes in. The usually chex, cocktail peanuts and pretzel sticks. The peanuts HAVE to be the cocktail ones, not the roasted or anything. And I do the oven directions for original chex mix, NOT the microwave one.
    I make muddy buddies strictly for holidays only! Because I want to eat them constantly.
    At Sam’s Club, they had a HUGE box with all 3 Chex flavors needed in it, so I bought that last time I was there :)

Ashley @ Power, Love, and Self Discipline December 16, 2013 at 8:19 am

Love the Christmas decorations in the first pic!
    Can’t wait to hear about your trip and the first trimester!!!!
    And muddy buddies…I vividly remember the first time my cousin gave me some!!

Elizabeth @ Positive Change December 16, 2013 at 8:51 am

What a great weekend! I love chex but when you add chocolate and peanut butter I can’t control myself! Looks super yummy though! Weekend was really good with a graduation and lots of family time! Can’t wait to hear all about Baby Haupert!

Sanaz @Run for Cake December 16, 2013 at 8:57 am

Yum. That Chex Mix looks delicious. I love the pictures of all the decorations. I want to get my weekly meal plan my organized so I can have one less thing to worry about during the week.
    I can’t wait to hear all the details about your first trimester. I didn’t work out during my pregnancy (bad girl, I know) so I’d love to hear all about your fitness so I can get motivated for the next one :)

Sally December 16, 2013 at 9:12 am

You are absolutely in trouble now that you have discovered Muddy Buddies ;) Once you start, it’s impossible to stop. Such a yummy holiday treat thought.

Congratulations to you and Mal! Judging by what fantastic pug parents you are, Baby Haupert is very lucky! :)

Kel December 16, 2013 at 10:28 am

Ok, the where’s Waldo pic just made me LOL at my desk!

Puppy chow = crack.

Jamie December 16, 2013 at 12:06 pm

We call that kind of chex mix “White trash.” lol

Heather December 16, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Aw Tina, I’m so excited for you and Mal. Having a little one is scary, but it really is amazing as well. It’s great he/she will be close in age to big cousin Matthew, too. Hope your pregnancy is going well. xo

Erika December 17, 2013 at 1:31 am

I’m totally addicted to QuizUp right now. I love that there are quizzes for almost any topic imaginable.

Cassie December 17, 2013 at 9:38 am

Ahh im so loving that your Crossfitting while preggo! Preggo pull ups=no joke.

Muddy buddies are delicious. The only thing more dangerous is MOOSE MUNCH