• Hump Day Happenings & CVS Gold Emblem Twitter Party

December 5, 2013

Hello, hello!

I can’t believe it’s Thursday already. I feel like Monday and Tuesday totally dragged, but yesterday flew by. Hey, I’m not complaining… I have a fun weekend ahead of me!

Breakfast

Yesterday’s breakfast was a repeat of Tuesday’s breakfast, but I added more almond butter this time for some extra staying power. Nut butter sticks to my ribs!

After breakfast I got right to work. I managed to get a lot accomplished yesterday, but I feel like my to-do list isn’t getting much shorter. I have no idea how that’s possible, but I don’t like it.

And CNC’s #1 employee wasn’t much help yesterday. I have no idea why he decided to sit in the corner with the paper shredder and all the cords. Apparently, there’s a first time for everything! What a weirdo.

Lunch

Around noon, I broke for lunch and whipped up some Mashed Potato Soup, which was so easy to make and sooo delicious! I love thick, creamy, and satisfying soups like this one, and it tasted so much better than the canned stuff!

A little while after lunch, Murphy and I headed out to do some visiting at the local senior home.

We hadn’t visited since before Thanksgiving, so it was exciting to see the place all decked out for the holidays. I wish I had taken a couple of photos of the inside because it was amazing! SO MANY DECORATIONS! They definitely went all out for the holidays!

Murphy and I had a nice time making our visits, and we especially enjoyed our time with Eileen, who had cookies for him!

A number of the folks we visit say they wished they had a treat to give Murphy, but this was the first time someone actually had one for him. Eileen reached into her bedside table and pulled out a package of Lorna Doone shortbread cookies. She handed them to me, and I realized she probably got them with her lunch or dinner one day and thought to save them for Murphy, which is the sweetest thing ever.

I don’t typically give Murphy (people) cookies, but there was no way I was denying him one after Eileen’s kind gesture. Of course, Murphy was pumped to receive a treat, and Eileen got a good laugh out of watching him chew it up. Watching the whole scene made me so happy.

Snack

After visiting, I stopped home, ate a sliced banana with a massive scoop of almond butter, and then headed to CrossFit.

Workout

Yesterday’s workout was a tough one. My upper body is smoked today!

The WOD was 100 Shoulder to Overheads (Presses, Push Presses, or Push Jerks) for time, but at the start of every minute, you had to do 5 strict pull-ups. Crazy. I used the Rx weight for the Shoulder to Overheads (55 pounds), but used a #2 band for the strict pull-ups and finished in 10:05.

Dinner

Day 4 of 24 Days of Togetherness was “get Lime Leaf for dinner,” so that’s exactly what we did after CrossFit! It was delicious as always!

CVS Gold Emblem Twitter Party

Next week, I am hosting a Twitter party with CVS to promote their Gold Emblem line. You know those dark chocolate sea salt caramels that I am obsessed with? Those are from the Gold Emblem line! Oh my gosh, they are so good!

The Twitter chat will be all about snacking during the holiday season. I will be sharing my favorite ways to indulge, but not overindulge, and how to snack smartly all season long, no matter what you have planned or where your travels take you. And there will be a number of awesome giveaways so you can try some goodies from the Gold Emblem line yourself! I hope to see you there!

CVS Gold Emblem Twitter Party
    Tuesday, December 10th from 8:00 – 9:00 PM (EST)
    #GoldEmblem

CVS_Gold-Emblem_22113-1_HIGHRES

Health News & Views

I always used to buy the pre-made spices at the grocery store, but then I decided to just made my own spiced apple cider from scratch. You might think this requires more work, but making spiced apple cider in a slow-cooker is so easy. Seriously, this recipe takes less than 5 minutes to prepare!

Plus, slow-cooker spiced apple cider is great for holiday parties and other get-togethers since it makes a jumbo-size batch and the machine keeps it warm, so guests can help themselves throughout the night. And, of course, the smell of spiced apple cider pervading through your home is amazing!

A lot of spiced cider recipes are full of sugar, but this one relies on fresh apple cider for its natural sweetness. Cinnamon, cloves, and allspice combine to give this warm and comforting beverage a spicy flavor that is perfect for the chilly nights of winter. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family and I do!

Try This Slow-Cooker Spiced Apple Cider Recipe

What was the best thing that happened to you yesterday?

P.S. I was already a fan of Tosh.0, but I love that he brought some IBD awareness and a little humor during Crohn’s and Colitis Awareness Week by inviting this girl on his show: CeWEBrity Profile – Ostomy Bag Girl – Uncensored. The IBD folks will definitely get a kick out of it!

Jackie December 5, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Lots of quality time with my boyfriend!!!!

Ashley December 5, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Ironically enough, the best thing that happened to me yesterday was plans getting cancelled! I got to squeeze in some extra miles, and enjoy some Whole Foods sushi, wine, and celebrate national cookie day all before the husband got home :)

Becky @ Olives n Wine December 5, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Oh my gosh, how sweet of Eileen to save cookies for Murphy! That is absolutely adorable :) Can’t wait for the Twitter chat – those chocolate caramels looks delightful!

Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life December 5, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Yesterday I got hit with the flu and slept for 15 hours. So I guess my insane amount of sleep was the best part? ;)

Annette December 5, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Looks like Murphy has a new obsession with the paper shredder! How special to visit the senior home. My Grandmother enjoyed the visits they did where she lived. We would make cider and cocoa in the crock pots at school for the kids. They loved adding the marshmallows and whipped cream and candy canes to their drinks. Love your family pictures by the tree!

Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change December 5, 2013 at 2:42 pm

It was a phone call with my mom, hands down. The last few weeks of the semester have been particularly hard to get through, and I have been feeling more exhausted and burnt out than I’d like to feel. She told me to take today off, and I did just that. It has been amazing! Have I worked on papers or done much study? No (or not yet at least!). But I’ve caught up on blogs, had some snuggle time with my love, enjoyed some tea, and I’m heading to CrossFit at 3. =)

Shel@PeachyPalate December 5, 2013 at 3:00 pm

LOVE apple cider! We just had a Christmas fair the other night at the shop…I was on mulled wine and apple cider duty..so warming! My shoulders are sore just thinking about that workout! Random…what’s your favourite almond butter?

Rebecca December 5, 2013 at 3:14 pm

You should tell the residents to save baby carrots for him. Dogs love them, they’re easy to break up into smaller pieces for chewing, and they’re pretty healthy!

Sammy @ Peace Love and Ice Cream December 5, 2013 at 3:20 pm

I will def be attending your twitter party – I LOVE CVS! It’s like Target…I always end up leaving with a million things! lol
    Yesterday my kids and I had a picnic dinner at the park with my girlfriend and her kids (our kids are very close too!) while our hubbies were still at work! The kids ate and played and ran around – it was great fun!! :)
    -Sammy

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun December 5, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Awww what a nice thing to do to visit the senior living center with Murphy! I bet they really enjoy his visits! (and yours as well!)

Debbie @ Happy, Healthy, Fit and Fine December 5, 2013 at 3:36 pm

The low cal cider recipe looks great, it will go great with xmas cookies.

Zahra December 5, 2013 at 3:39 pm

I love your pictures of Murphy. I would get a pug if it wouldn’t break my German Shepherd’s heart.

Linda @ running4two December 5, 2013 at 3:44 pm

So sweet that Murphy helps to brighten people’s day :-). Best thing that happened to me yesterday…snuggling with my baby girl as she fell asleep.

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats December 5, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Awww that is so sweet that she saved her cookie for Murphy!! Yesterday I went to see The Book Thief and loved it. I read the book but it was so long ago that I’d forgotten a lot of it until it was happening, which made me enjoy the movie more. Such a beautiful but sad story.

Caitlin December 5, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I’m SO making that soup for my dad/sis sometime. Thanks for cluing me into the recipe!
    I had sliced banana with almond butter this morning :D

Elizabeth @ Positive Change December 5, 2013 at 4:07 pm

What a great story about Murphy! How sweet that lady was to him! :) Best thing that happened to me was getting work off early so I could watch Modern Family!

Alex @ Kenzie Life December 5, 2013 at 4:23 pm

The story about Murphy and Eileen is so sweet!

Jenny December 5, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I went to Longwood Gardens which is an outdoor christmas light “festival” that goes on for acres – so beautiful!

lindsay December 5, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Gah! I am obsessed with Gold Emblem trail mix. I buy loads of it when it’s on sale.

Ashley December 5, 2013 at 5:05 pm

That is so sweet for Eileen to give Murphy cookies! You’re right, she probably saved them just for him. So adorable :)

Nicole December 5, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Cute cookie story!
    Best thing yesterday was getting to see a preview of the movie Lone Survivor (Marky-Mark is in it.) One of the SEAL officers portrayed in the movie is Mike Murphy…the soldier who the workout “Murph” is named after.
    Very intense movie.

Sanaz@runforcake December 5, 2013 at 6:46 pm

I love potato soup!! Best part of my day yesterday was coming home after work to my one year old and watching her take steps towards me saying moooooommmmmm. Best sound ever.

Megan @ Meg Go Run December 5, 2013 at 6:54 pm

The best thing that happened to me yesterday… I watched Survivor w. my hubby. :) Silly, but it is one of the ways we like to spend time together.

Melissa December 5, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Wow, the mashed potato soup sounds so unique! I loved mashed potatoes, so I could definitely see how it would work as a soup!

Annette@FitnessPerks December 5, 2013 at 7:15 pm

That is so cute she gave him a cookie!

Mmmmm that soup sounds deeeeelish!

Ellen Renee December 5, 2013 at 7:44 pm

I just found those caramels today when I stopped at CVS (after asking you about them a couple of days ago)!! They were on an end cap with the Christmas candy in my store, SO GOOD!!! Loved the crisp bits of salt on top – such a delicious combination of flavors. My husband would love that soup. You mentioned earlier this week you were cooking potatoes for future recipes..did you just use the cold cooked potatoes to help speed along the preparation time?

Tina December 5, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Yep! Just stored them in the fridge until I was ready to use them.

So glad you found those caramels! They’re my favorite!!

Ellen Renee December 5, 2013 at 7:57 pm

I always start at the top and work my way down on any new posts since yesterday…just read the next one and clicked on the pug mcscrooge link and I noticed that you don’t have that cabinet by the tree anymore….I LOVE that cabinet.. adorable. Did you move it to another spot? I have a “thing” for furniture…sorry! Will give that soup a try soon – cheese, potatoes, bacon…my hubby will be in heaven. For myself I could go for a bowl of roasted cauliflower soup. YUM.

Courtney Nicole December 5, 2013 at 8:02 pm

I read this post and less than an hour later saw an Etsy shop where you can get a Pug cookie cutter customized with your dog’s name (they have a lot of other breeds as well. I absolutely feel like you need this for Murphy, add it to your Christmas list! The shop is called “Name That Cookie”. You should check it out!

Tina December 5, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Very cute idea!! I’ll check it out. Thanks!

Missy December 5, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Yum mashed potato soup, totally stealing that recipe! I love a good potato soup!

Livi December 5, 2013 at 8:49 pm

I need to try that apple cider recipe! yum!

Molly December 5, 2013 at 10:38 pm

My hip is super messed up right now so I am going to steal that WOD! Can only do upper body and that looks killer!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats December 6, 2013 at 2:00 am

OMG Murphy is just too weird and too funny sometimes, love it!!

I need that mashed potato soup in my life it sounds delicious.

Best thing that happened yesterday was my Manager agreeing to help me at short notice with a project at work I have been stressed about.

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape December 6, 2013 at 5:45 am

Best thing that happened to me yesterday? I had a fab session at crossfit, everything I did showed how much progress I have made and how much strength I have gained since starting in the summer. I was super pumped afterwards and it’s still making me smile today! :-)

Ashlee December 6, 2013 at 8:31 am

Yesterday (Thursday) I went to the holiday party for the group I support and found out my manager had been saying all sorts of great things about me and the work I have been doing, and I’ve only been in this position for a month so that was really awesome, but scary at the same time. Way to set that bar really high…

Kristen December 6, 2013 at 9:30 am

The best thing that happened to me yesterday? My husband got me a new phone! We’ve both been hating on our phones lately and while he was running errands he saw a deal on the phones we’d been talking about just hours before. We had agreed to wait until after the holidays but he decided the deal was too good to pass up. Yay! Now if I can just figure out how to use it…

Tina December 6, 2013 at 9:42 am

Fun!

Caitlin December 6, 2013 at 10:17 am

Next Tuesday is the 10th! Is the twitter party next week or the 17th??

Tina December 6, 2013 at 10:39 am

Next week! 😄

Hayley in Training December 6, 2013 at 11:53 am

That apple cider looks divine! The best thing that happened to me yesterday was the feeling of accomplishment as I finished a tempo run on the treadmill! Those are never easy.

Sheena December 6, 2013 at 12:06 pm

After a long day at work and volunteering at the Habitat for Humanity, I was pretty tired but went to spin class anyways. I hadn’t taken a class from this teacher before but he was awesome! It was just what I needed to perk me up so I could work hard.

Courtney @ Don't Blink. Just Run. December 6, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I love Tosh too and that was a hysterical profile.

That cider sounds awesome!

Ellen Renee December 11, 2013 at 5:51 pm

I made the potato soup today – it was really good! I don’t go for creamy textures as a general rule(no eggnog or alfredo sauce for me) but I know my husband will be a happy guy this evening when he finds it in the fridge. I did leave one potato unpeeled and cut it into chunks to add more texture to the soup. Looking forward to the small bowl I brought to work.

Tina December 11, 2013 at 8:53 pm

So glad you liked it! I definitely want to make it again soon!