• 12 Days of Christmas WOD & Christmas Eve

December 26, 2013

Christmas Eve day started with a CrossFit workout. The WOD, “Twelve Days of Christmas,” is a yearly tradition at 781 and tons of members come out for it (usually sporting red and green), so I was especially excited about getting my sweat on!

This workout is performed like the song “The Twelve Days of Christmas,” (we did a similar WOD last Christmas Eve), so we started with 1 Power Clean and then did 2 Front Squats with the same weight, dropped the bar, and then did 1 Power Clean. Then, we moved onto 3 HSPUs, 2 Front Squats, and 1 Power Clean and so on until you go to the 12th day and worked your way all the way down to day 1.

Here’s how the WOD went down for me—with a couple of pregnancy modifications in the mix!

• Day 1: 1 Power Clean (#95)
    • Day 2: 2 Front Squats (#95)
    • Day 3: 6 Abmat Sit-ups
    • Day 4: 4 Pistols
    • Day 5: 5 Golden Pull-Ups
    • Day 6: 6 Wallballs (#14)
    • Day 7: 7 Double Unders
    • Day 8: 8 Deadlifts (#95)
    • Day 9: 9 Hand-Release Push-Ups
    • Day 10: 10 Kipping Knee Raises (pregnancy modification)
    • Day 11: 11 Kettlebell Swings (#45)
    • Day 12: 12 Burpee Tuck Jumps

The workout really wasn’t that bad until I got to day 9 or 10 and then it was exhausting. Those Front Squats were especially killer by the end! It took me a little over 34 minutes to finish the workout.

Post-WOD with Mal! None of my workout clothes fit me anymore without looking totally ridiculous, so I’m sporting bright pink and green. Close enough?

My shirt is actually from Reebok, and I should have ordered it in every color because it’s comfy and fits so well. It’s that “burnout” material, so it’s thin and moves well, which is especially nice when you have extra curves and whatnot during pregnancy. And, of course, I also love that it’s extra long, which is a necessity with a growing bump!

After CrossFit, Mal and I headed home, packed up our things, and headed out to L-town to visit our families for Christmas. We went to my Grammie’s house for Christmas Eve celebrations.

Chinese take-out was on the menu!

We had a big group (about 30 people), but I think we had enough food to feed twice as many people.

But, hey, at least, Chinese food makes awesome leftovers, right?

My plate… and then I went back for a second serving of pork-fried rice and an egg roll, which are my favorite!

Dessert was handmade chocolates by my aunt!

After dinner, it was time for the Yankee Swap, which, as always, was a lot of fun and hilarious at times!

M & T!

What is one of your Christmas Eve traditions?

P.S. My brother-in-law showed me these hilarious dog and cat videos, and I just had to share: You Shall Not Pass, Dog and Cats Stealing Dogs’ Beds.

Beks December 26, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Christmas Eve church (usually with my dad and I helping out with the praise/worship portion of the service), followed by Chili and pasta. I think I love Christmas Eve more than Christmas day, because it’s my family (4 of us), and my mom’s younger sister’s family (4 of them), just having fun and enjoying each other’s company. And it’s so much quieter than Christmas day, when we get at LEAST 12 more people in the house. Christmas Eve is my Christmas. :-)

Jackie December 26, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I love the excitement and anticipation of Christmas Eve!

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves December 26, 2013 at 3:18 pm

The 12 Days WOD looks fun but intense! It looks like you all had a wonderful Christmas Eve filled with good food and great company.
    We actually don’t have a Christmas Eve tradition…but this year we decided to go to NYC to check out the tree and eat (a lot of) delicious food all over city!

Shel@PeachyPalate December 26, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Your aunt has skills!!! Those chocolates look divine!!! Killer workout, going to through something together in a similar vein next week!

Annette December 26, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Happy holidays! All of the food sounds wonderful. The homemade chocolates look yummy! We usually have tacos and all the fixins. Lots of goodies and snacks. Looks like Mal got a great gift!! Did he swap it?

Tina December 26, 2013 at 4:02 pm

He kept it for me! :)

Annette December 26, 2013 at 6:15 pm

That’s so sweet! Love it!

Sky December 26, 2013 at 3:43 pm

We always get new pajamas for Christmas Eve. Every other year at a certain families house we’ll have seafood for Christmas Eve dinner. Take-out for Christmas Eve is a great idea. I haven’t heard of that before. By the way the cat and dog video links at the bottom are great. I was dying laughing!

Megan @ Meg Go Run December 26, 2013 at 3:53 pm

What a spread! That food looks super yummy. Every Christmas Eve of my life, I have spent at my maternal grandmother’s house. That’s 31 Christmas Eves!

Abi@AbsofSteel December 26, 2013 at 4:54 pm

eating an absurd amount of chocolate…. I guess that’s not really a tradition but we do it every year ;)

Annette@FitnessPerks December 26, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Wow–those are some amazing chocolates!

And that WOD sounds super fun & tough!

Carolyn December 26, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Looks intense! But what are “golden pull-ups”?

Tina December 26, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Just pull-ups! :)

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries December 26, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Looks like a great Christmas Eve! We always go to a candlelight church service and have a nice dinner out.

Hillary December 26, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Pregnancy agrees with you Tina!

Kaelene December 26, 2013 at 6:18 pm

All those chocolates looks so amazing! I experienced my first Christmas in Iceland where they celebrate on Christmas Eve so it was a day full of firsts for me. Usually at home a tradition we do every year is Christmas pajama and reading a Christmas story before bed on Christmas Eve.

Molly December 26, 2013 at 6:42 pm

we have fillet minion and raviolis! So delicious and a sinful white sauce that should only be eaten once a year… followed by far too many cookies.

Tina December 26, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Yummmm!

Annie Atherton December 26, 2013 at 8:36 pm

We did 12 Days of Christmas on Monday! I wasn’t going to get to go because I had to work and we had a huge ice storm. But I couldn’t make it to work because of some power lines down right across the road!!! I called my boss who hadn’t even started driving to work yet and he said, don’t even bother trying. So I sped home, got my gear and got to the 9:15 class with 5 min to spare. The twist this year was there was no power at our Box. We used a cell phone for music and a power cord was run from someone’s truck to light the Christmas tree so we had a little light. It was freezing in there. Once we started though, I didn’t notice the dark or the cold. Seriously one of my most favorite WODs we do :)

Tina December 26, 2013 at 8:48 pm

That’s awesome! It’s one of my favorite WODs too!

Michele December 26, 2013 at 10:14 pm

OMG, thank you for the “You Shall Not Pass, Dog” link! I was hysterical watching that! I had a German Shepherd and a cat at the same time and the German Shepherd would not walk past the cat because she was afraid the cat would slap her! It was clear who ruled the house! Sadly, they are both gone now, but I wish I would have recorded them because they could have been in that video! Thanks for the laugh!

Elisabeth December 26, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Our Christmas Eve is always the whole family (we take turns on who’s house is hosting) for a snack-y sort of meal. It’s usually something like BBQ beef sandwiches, cheesy potatoes & a bunch of appetizers & holiday baked goods/treats. Then we all exchanges gifts, including a Secret Santa gift exchange. It’s our ‘fun’ Christmas party & Christmas day is the traditional turkey dinner ;)

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun December 26, 2013 at 11:40 pm

It depends on where we are. At my parents we got to church and look at lights – at my in-laws we eat a polished themed dinner and watch christmas movies on christmas eve. Both are so much fun!

Alyssa December 26, 2013 at 11:57 pm

On Christmas Eve we get together with a large crowd of family, too (25+). Santa always stops by before dessert for a photo op with all of the “kids” in the family – although by now all of us “kids” are in our twenties! He’s been doing it since we were babies. Of course it’s painfully obvious now that it’s my uncle dressed up, but I remember being so convinced he was the real deal back in the day! Haha

And wow, your aunt did a fabulous job with those chocolates!

Livi December 27, 2013 at 6:52 am

that workout looks so intense!!

Elizabeth @ Positive Change December 27, 2013 at 9:07 am

sounds like a great Christmas Eve, some years I love Christmas eve more than Christmas! :) Our Christmas Eve tradition is to open up our “core gifts.” The gifts we give to our parents and then the sisters open up the gifts we give to each other!

Kelsey at The Primal Yogi December 27, 2013 at 9:10 am

I was inspired on Christmas Eve morning by your Instagram picture of this workout! I just wrote a post on the one I did too. It kicked my butt – but I’m convinced knowing you’re going to stuff your face is the best motivator for tough workouts :)

Tara December 27, 2013 at 9:40 am

You look great!
    OUr Christmas Eve tradition has changed over the years. We use to host an Open House on Christmas Eve and had atleast 25 pple come and go through out the night. But as family and friends start their own families, it has dwindled down to about 6 of our family members. We just did Chinese take out this year. It was too quiet for me though, didnt feel so festive : (

Sarah @ Sweet Miles December 27, 2013 at 9:52 am

Merry Christmas! That workout looks tough, I’m pretty sure I would be struggling! My favorite christmas eve tradition growing up was going to my grandmother’s house with my aunt and uncle and cousins. Now that we’re all grown up and moved away, we can’t anymore, but those memories are extra precious :)

Jolynn @ Lift Pray Love December 27, 2013 at 10:26 am

Those chocolates look amazing!

Christmas Eve we celebrate with my mom and her sister’s family. The rest of their family lives in Washington so it’s our only time to celebrate with that side. Kind of. And we open all our gifts from our grandma which are normally hilarious!

Christine@munchkinmumbles December 27, 2013 at 11:16 am

We do Chinese food on Christmas Eve too! It makes the worlds best left overs, especially on Christmas morning. Loved your brunch spread and those chocolates looked too pretty to eat!

Jessica @ Only Ketchup December 27, 2013 at 10:39 pm

I am SO jealous (and proud) of you being able to still go to Crossfit at this stage of pregnancy! I worked out ‘normally’ only until about 14 weeks into pregnancy and then it was literally just walking for me from then on out, I couldn’t handle anything too intense. Go you!!!

Erika December 28, 2013 at 2:17 am

We don’t really have any specific Christmas Eve traditions but we do try and watch a Christmas movie each year. This year it was National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation.

Those videos were hilarious! Poor dogs :-)