• We Found a Coffee Table, But Now We Want a New Kitchen

November 5, 2013

Good morning! Happy Tuesday!

Snack

Before CrossFit last night, I snacked on a juicy orange as well as a frosted sugar cookie (because those things are so darn good).

Workout

At CrossFit, we worked on Back Squats and then went right into the WOD, which was killer. It was unbroken Thrusters, which, of course, are tough, but the goal of the workout was not to rest at all during the sets. Sometimes for these kind of workouts, you can rest as long as you don’t drop the bar, but, for this one, you needed to complete consecutive Thrusters for the set to count. If you couldn’t complete the set without stopping, you had to repeat it. Poor Mal got stuck on 15 and had to do the whole set all over again. I ended up going really light for my weight and finished the WOD in 7:33.

Dinner

After CrossFit, I showered up and ate dinner. Mal made us Cobb salads with bacon, avocado, hardboiled eggs, and broccoli. I drizzled balsamic vinegar all over mine. Delish!

After dinner, Mal and I went to IKEA to look for a new coffee table. Being there reminded us of the countless trips we took to furnish our various new apartments over the years. Remember how many times we moved in two years? If not, it was a lot. I am so glad we are settled now.

Anyway, we looked at sorts of coffee tables. Most of them we didn’t like or we didn’t think would work with our current living room set up, so we were kind of discouraged and thought maybe we took a wasted trip to IKEA.

But, then we found the perfect coffee table, and it was just $50! Sweet!

Once we found our coffee table, Mal and I “played” kitchen. Basically, we just check out all of the different kitchen displays, pick out our favorites, drool over them, and then try to imagine various pieces in our own kitchen.

We loved this kitchen below, but, sadly, a kitchen redo is not in our future for a long time. We still need to put an addition on our house!

Coffee table success! We actually ended up getting the very last one!

Breakfast

This morning, I started my day with a big bowl of banana oatmeal with a crapton of chia seeds (I poured in way too many), cinnamon, trail mix, and a big scoop of peanut butter.

Once I finish this post, I need to take Murphy for his morning walk and then get ready to head into Boston for an appointment with my GI doctor. I know I haven’t talked about my UC stuff in awhile, but it’s only because I am so much better! I started Uceris (new drug) in mid-August when I was flaring really bad. It took a solid month to work its magic, but I’ve been symptom-free since the end of September, and it’s been awesome!

I think my appointment today is going to be short and sweet. I know my doctor wants to start weaning me off the Uceris because even though it’s a localized steroid (not systemic like Prednisone), it can still have side effects if it’s used for too long. We shall see.

After my doctor’s appointment, I’m meeting Chad and Lindsay! Remember them? Chad is doing so much better, and he’s finally out of the hospital. He has an appointment today at MGH too, so we’re meeting for coffee afterward. I am so excited to finally meet them! I’ll definitely fill you guys in on our visit!

image

Health News & Views

My dog, Murphy, sure likes to eat. He’s a pug and they’re known for their enthusiastic love of all things edible. If he had his way, he’d eat all day long.

I noticed that Murphy was a few pounds heavier, but I didn’t think the extra weight was affecting his health until an annual check-up became the wake-up call I needed. The vet told me the extra pounds on Murphy’s small frame were harmful to his overall well-being and he needed to lose weight as soon as possible.

Since then, I’ve made a number of changes to Murphy diet and exercise regimen that have helped keep him at a healthy and trim weight. If your pet is on the pudgy side, I hope these tips help him slim down, too!

Is Your Dog Too Fat? How to Get a Slimmer Pet

_MG_9851 (750x499)

Questions of the Day

How many times have you moved in your life?

What would your dream kitchen look like?

Have you ever been to IKEA? Love it? Hate it?

honeywhatscooking November 5, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Ahhh… Ikea, I believe you can get really great deals, some of the items don’t even look like Ikea.. but I hate the assembly part of it. I’ve moved twice in my life, the first time countries and it was the most traumatic experience of my life… never again!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance November 5, 2013 at 5:25 pm

That’s so great to hear that you’ve been symptom free for so long, it has to be such a good feeling!

Tempie @ The Texas Peach November 5, 2013 at 5:29 pm

I love IKEA, especially the kitchen display section!

Elisabeth November 5, 2013 at 7:00 pm

I hate moving! When I was a kid we lived in the same house until I was 12, then moved when I was 14. We lived there until I was 19 (although I had moved into a dorm the year before & another that year). I moved home to commute to college after sophomore year. I then moved into a condo 2 years ago and am now relocating from Ohio to North Carolina. So, I’ve moved 6 times in my 31 years, counting college – not that many, really!

Kate @ Trekking Kate November 5, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I move so often it almost makes me sick to think about. Every 6 months! Ugg, at least my job supplies a furnished house, which makes it way easier to move that often.
    My husband and I found our fav kitchen at Ikea also with lavender and lime color theme!

Wendy @ All Kinds of Miles November 5, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Ikea, albeit totally overwhelming, is so much fun to me. Those Europeans sure do know how to be efficient with space!

Danica @ It's Progression November 5, 2013 at 8:48 pm

I’m so glad to hear that you’ve been symptom-free! yay!

Betsy November 5, 2013 at 9:00 pm

I should probably know this, but what are back squats?

Elle November 5, 2013 at 9:36 pm

We’re finally getting an IKEA next year. I CANNOT wait!! I know its gonna be dangerous though…

Tina November 6, 2013 at 6:04 am

You will LOVE it!!! :)

Jenn November 6, 2013 at 5:26 am

Can’t wait to see a pic of your living room now with the new table!

Megan November 6, 2013 at 6:39 am

It’s so funny you got this one; when I read your original post I thought that the one we have would be perfect in your living room. Lo and behold, it’s the same one! The glass top totally opens the space and makes the room feel airy. Congrats on a great deal!

Tina November 6, 2013 at 7:14 am

That’s what we were thinking too! It definitely works well. Great minds think alike! :)

Jennifer November 6, 2013 at 10:29 am

I’ve been to IKEA a couple times. Before I went, I didn’t understand the appeal. But next week we are driving 6 hours to Minneapolis to go to IKEA. We are expecting a baby in February & feel they have a lot of good pricing on storage and other baby items.

Allyssa November 6, 2013 at 11:45 am

The kitchen is my favorite room in a house!! My dream kitchen would be large!!! I love the first picture you posted of a kitchen set up! I definitely want an island and I am liking cabinets where you can see what’s inside!

Missy November 6, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Our boy pup always gains a few extra pounds in the winter and I feel so bad. He loves his walks but the snow hurts his paws so our walks get cut super short in the winter. I’m hoping to find some booties (that he will wear) so we can continue to walk through the winter!