• Pug On Lap Rule & Green Envy Workout

November 6, 2013

It was a gorgeous day in downtown Boston yesterday! It was a little chilly, but beautiful and sunny at the same time.

My doctor’s appointment went well. It was short and sweet like I expected. My doctor wants to wean me off the Uceris over the next few weeks, which, truthfully, I am really worried about. I have had ZERO success weaning off steroids in the past, so I’m really trusting my doctor and hoping for the best.

Lunch

It was just about lunchtime when I got out of my appointment, so I headed to Whole Foods for lunch. The Charles River Plaza location is one of my favorite Whole Foods because their salad and hot bars are incredible. There are sooooo many options! I had a blast picking and choosing a little bit of everything for lunch. (Of course, I had to get a piece of Whole Foods bacon. Obsessed.)

After lunch, I headed over to Starbucks to meet Chad and Lindsay!

It was so nice meeting them, and we had all sorts of things to talk about. As you probably remember, Chad has had a challenging journey to health, but he’s improving every day. His doctors even think he’ll be home by Thanksgiving!

Snack

After spending some time with Chad and Lindsay, I headed home. It was almost time for CrossFit, so I changed into my gear and then made a quick snack of spaghetti squash mixed with white cheddar cheese from The Laughing Cow. Yum!

I am an official brand advocate for Bel Brands in 2013. While I receive compensation for participation as a brand advocate, opinions are my own.

Workout

Yesterday’s WOD was a lot of fun. We basically went all out on 3 different exercises (Kettlebell swings, Burpees, and Sumo Deadlift High Pulls) for short 30-second bursts with 20 seconds of rest in between. After we completed each exercise, we recorded how many reps we did and then repeated this for 5 rounds. The goal was to keep up the intensity and do the same number of reps as the workout progressed and your body got more and more tired. It was definitely a challenge!

Mal was right next to me during this WOD, so I tried to keep up with him. He was a little faster than me on the Kettlebell swings and Sumo Deadlift High Pulls, but he pretty much smoked me on the Burpees (he consistently completed 12-13 reps in 30 seconds!), but, in the end, he only beat by 14 reps on this workout. He got 215; I got 201. I’ll take it.

Green_Envy_from_CrossFit_781

Dinner

After CrossFit, I came home, showered, and threw together a quick dinner. The spaghetti squash was already cooked and the meatballs were from Whole Foods, so all I had to do was add some marinara sauce, grated Parmesan and dinner was done!

A couple of hours later, I started to get hungry again, but Murphy was asleep on my lap, and I didn’t want to upset him, which is actually a “rule” in our house. If one of us has the pug laying on our lap, the other person has to do whatever is asked of them because we don’t want to disturb Murphy. (I had this rule growing up too, but it was all about “not upsetting the cats.”)

With Murphy on my lap, I couldn’t get up to get myself a snack, so I asked Mal to grab me a yogurt with a little bit of trail mix in it. As soon as he handed it to me, Murphy made sure he was nice and close to the food action.

Do you have a “don’t upset the pet rule” in your house or are we just living in Murphy’s world?

P.S. Back on My Feet launched its 11th chapter in Los Angeles last week!

Kristen November 6, 2013 at 1:36 pm

We have a rule about “dog on my lap” or “cat on my lap” too- the other person has to get up. Sometimes I have both. See, I usually have a blanket on me when we’re watching TV at night and the dog likes to lay on my lap UNDER the blanket and the cat likes to lay On the blanket, ON THE DOG, on my lap. The only trouble is when we both have a pet on our laps!

Juliet November 6, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I’ve really fallen in love with pugs after seeing all the cute photos of Murphy! Our family’s rule was similar with cats – if someone needed something and they had a cat or two in their lap they would say “I have a bad case of the cats!”

sara @ fitcupcaker November 6, 2013 at 1:41 pm

my dogs dont get on the couch, but if they did I would make that rule too!! And speaking of that workout, SDHP are the worst, they seem so easy but I hate them! lol

Livi November 6, 2013 at 1:43 pm

I love spaghetti squash! so tasty and way more nutritious than pasta!

Abi@AbsofSteel November 6, 2013 at 1:57 pm

haha, that’s such a cute rule

Captain Comptition November 6, 2013 at 2:05 pm

No “rule” but my wife will not get up with the cat on her lap. She gives me this sad face until I get whatever it is she needs. She has even asked me to go to the bathroom for her, not sure how that works, we just laugh about it, okay we are weird.

Denise @ Do you have that in my size??? November 6, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Totally understand about the Pug in Lap rule! When Alouysius (our Pug) is snuggling at night – always with my husband, unfortunately – I make tea and gather evening snack materials for Mick so that he doesn’t have to get up and disturb Al. They are just too darned cute when they’re sleepy/snuggly, it seems heartless to make them move.

Fizz @ fizzsbizz November 6, 2013 at 2:23 pm

I love that rule! It’s the ‘…but I have Annie’ rule in our house. Very serious!

Alisha @ Alisha's Appetite November 6, 2013 at 2:46 pm

hahaha I love that rule! Dogs always run the house :)

Tina November 6, 2013 at 2:49 pm

So true!

Shelby November 6, 2013 at 2:49 pm

HAHA Murphy is so cute with his big eyes. We don’t have pets, so as of now we don’t have that rule but we probably would if we did!

Liza November 6, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Haha yup, we have the same rule with our cats! Makes it doubly great to have them on your lap :)

Cortney November 6, 2013 at 3:04 pm

We have a “don’t upset the two year old rule”. If he passes out on you, tough luck! If you wake him, you take him :-)

Allison @ Life's a Bowl November 6, 2013 at 3:50 pm

We don’t have that rule but Charlie has started to huff and puff or make a small growling noise if we disrupt him, ha!

Eating 4 Balance November 6, 2013 at 5:00 pm

I feel bad about making the dog get off of my lap but all I have to say is “Time to get up Lilly!” in a nice voice and 95% of the time she hops off my lap no matter if she is sleeping or not. Then I get up, get whatever I needed, sit back down, and she resumes the position on my lap. Haha. We have a nice system going.

erica November 6, 2013 at 5:13 pm

we do that too! these pets live the life, I tell ya!

Niki Mosier November 6, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Our pets rule, but we don’t have rule about that. I think I should inact that that, especially because they tend to sleep on me a lot. Hehehe.

Jan November 6, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Just curious, do you have ulcerative colitis?

Tina November 6, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Yup, I do.

Michele November 6, 2013 at 9:57 pm

My cat likes to lay either in the crook of my arm with his arm over mine or on my chest while I am hanging out in my bed watching TV and on the laptop. It’s just a litttttle hard to type with a cat hanging out on your arm. It’s so funny though because I will lift up my arm to type and he kind of dangles in the air, he won’t even move. Weirdness. If I have to get up for anything I always feel bad because he’s so comfortable and then he looks mad because he had to get up. Also, many times I’ll just be getting up to do something and here he comes, wanting to lay on me, and I have to tell him “no, not now, come back later!”and then I feel bad. Animals are awesome!

Coleen November 6, 2013 at 11:03 pm

I usually won’t get up if my cat is on my lap. If I need to get up I will ask her if she wants treats and that does the trick-she immediately runs to the kitchen.

She loves to crash on my husband and he won’t move if she does. He will call to me to tell me to come and get her.

Tracey November 6, 2013 at 11:28 pm

I so need to implement that rule. Although ours would be whoevers feet our dog is laying on must stay on the couch.

Kimberly November 7, 2013 at 7:59 am

We absolutely have a “don’t upset the cat” rule. I think it’s more for our benefit though because I LOVE it when our Izzie lays down all sprawled out on my lap or snuggled beside me. My husband doesn’t want to ruin my happiness in those moments..haha.

Alex @ Kenzie Life November 7, 2013 at 9:04 am

That’s a cute rule :) I don’t have pug rules, well, not officially anyway. My dogs do what they want (within reason). I remember growing up that my mom asked me to get off the couch and sit on the floor because I was “in her dog’s spot” and the dog refused to sit anywhere else on the couch…sigh…I got up and moved.

Colleen November 7, 2013 at 9:51 am

great view of the big 3 bldgs – the JFK, the Saltonstall, and the McCormack. I work in the Saltonstall – the one in the middle – the box with the box on top. such a beautiful day in Boston. my whole life is built around ‘don’t upset the cat’. I have 3, the oldest being 18, and at his age, he deserves his comforts. If he wants to sleep on my lap for 2 hours or on my newspaper, so be it. He’s has earned his Top Cat status. I hope someone treats me as well as old Tinky gets treated when I (hopefully) reach his age.

Jennifer November 7, 2013 at 11:47 am

I usually have a rule, especially at nighttime. One cat usually on either side of me or almost on top of me. Now that I am 6 months pregnant, I have to get up to use the restroom multiple times a night and I always feel SO terrible about making them move when I have to go. Before, I would just maneuver around them, but now, that’s not really possible.

Sara @ Zero to Sixy November 7, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I need to try this spaghetti squash and laughing cow cheese! How do you make your spaghetti squash… oven, microwave, something else?

Sara

Tina November 7, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Oven! For a big one, just cut it in half, scrape out seeds, and bake on 375*F for 45 minutes. There’s also a (super old) tutorial post on CNC: http://carrotsncake.com/2009/03/yoga-day-1-and-how-to-cook-spaghetti-squash.html

Danica @ It's Progression November 7, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Oh man, I love the pug-on-lap rule :) I’m telling my husband we need one of those for our dog.

Nemesia Ramolete November 7, 2013 at 3:29 pm

I am going to try your ‘Green Envy’ Workout! Does it matter the weight you do on the Sumo Deadlift High Pull? Did you use a Kettlebell?

Love reading your blog!

Nemesia

Tina November 7, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Yep! I used a kettlebell! 😄

Zoey November 7, 2013 at 5:35 pm

How do you cook you spaghetti squash? I can’t seem to get it right!

Tina November 7, 2013 at 5:46 pm

See comments above! 😄

Annie Atherton November 7, 2013 at 11:14 pm

Some friends of mine have a young son who was diagnosed with UC this year. It has been a struggle for them to find the medications that will help him. I hope you don’t mind if I include a link to their fundraising page for Crohn’s and Colitus Foundation of America to help find a cure. Ian’s story is on this page and it breaks my heart.

Suzanne November 8, 2013 at 7:19 am

Wow, I was at MGH all day on Wednesday! Thought about hitting the WF salad bar for lunch, but ended up at the MGH one :)

Tracey November 8, 2013 at 7:44 am

Hey Tina! What brand is that purple sweater you wore to Starbucks with Chad and Lindsay? I love it!

Tina November 8, 2013 at 8:29 am

Thanks! It’s a hoodie from New Balance! 😄

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner November 8, 2013 at 10:06 am

We definitely have that rule for our cats. Sometimes I even don’t get to cover myself with blankets because the cats are curled up all cute, and I think how ridiculous it is. Love those buggers!

Joy November 11, 2013 at 7:24 am

We definitely have a don’t upset the poodle rule. Not only is it whoever he’s cuddling doesn’t move but if he’s eating or drinking (he’s a bad eater) nobody can move. Guests to our house know the policy too…

Rachel November 13, 2013 at 10:24 pm

I have a “cats on lap” rule, except I live alone, so it mostly means I can put off doing the dishes as long as the cats are asleep. :D Of course, it also means I don’t go to bed as early as I’d like (I should be in bed right now, but, you know, the cats are asleep on my lap).