• Our Living Room Just Doesn’t Jibe

November 4, 2013

Hello, hello!

Breakfast

I started my day with a big bowl of creamy banana oatmeal with trail mix and chia seeds cooked in. I also added a couple of scoops of peanut butter. I love having a melt-y bite of peanut butter in each spoonful! Mmm!

IMG_8084

After breakfast, I did some blogging and wrote one of my posts for Health next week. Then, I headed out to run some errands, which included a quick stop at CVS to pick up some FREE paper towels. If you have an ExtraCare card, use it at the Coupon Center to get a coupon for a free roll of paper towels. Easy as that!

After CVS, I headed to Whole Foods to do our grocery shopping for the week. I’m leaving for Orlando on Thursday morning for the Disney Wine & Dine Weekend (I’m running the 5K), so I only bought enough food for dinners for the next few days. When I travel, Mal orders take-out—Italian subs, wings, calzones… that type of stuff (and he loves it), so I typically don’t bother planning meals for him.

This week’s meal plan:

• Sunday: Wing it
    • Monday: Cobb Salads
    • Tuesday: Spaghetti squash with meatballs
    • Wednesday: Parmesan chicken with roasted broccoli and mashed sweet potatoes
    • Thursday: Take-out
    • Friday: Take-out
    • Saturday: Take-out

Lunch

I was shopping at Whole Foods around lunchtime, so I stopped by the hot bar to grab lunch. I got some Shepard’s pie, part of a chicken enchilada, turkey meatloaf, and some mac & cheese. I also bought some butternut squash soup, which was so, so, so good. I wish I got a bigger container of it!

I ate lunch while watching the first 20 minutes of Bethenny (it’s her birthday today) and then finished off the meal with a few sugar cookies. (Murphy is such a creeper.)

After lunch, I snapped some photos of our new couch and current living room layout, which just isn’t working.

I love our new couch, but our coffee table is too big for the space.

And there seems to be something missing in front of the window (where we temporarily put Murphy’s toy bin).

Mal and I spent quite awhile last night perusing the internet for a new coffee table (maybe a round one would work?) and accent chair for that weird space in front of the window. If you guys have any ideas, please let me know! We’re open to suggestions!

Spread the Love: Blogger Recipe Contest

I was recently asked to participate in a blogger recipe contest to celebrate National Peanut Butter Lovers Month! I created a delicious recipe for Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies, and I would love for you guys to vote for them!

Vote_For_Me

Any suggestions for making our living room jive a little better? Round coffee table? Accent chair? Move the chaise lounge to the other side of the couch?

Cate November 4, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Maybe a set of those cubes that have the leather tops and double as a storage bin? One could be used to store murph’s toys!

JCHokie November 4, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Check out jossandmain.com It’s a daily furniture and home decorating site. I recently purchased some bedroom furniture, dining room buffet table and some other pieces that I really like.

Dessie November 4, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Hi Tina!

I love your blog! I also think you have some great things going in your living room, and would be happy to help you out with a few ideas! I am an interior designer and would love to put together a mood board for you. If you took some measurements of your space I could draw up some layout options as well. Shoot me an email and we can chat more about it.

Best wishes!

Dessie

Tina November 4, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Aww, thanks for the offer! 😄

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers November 4, 2013 at 8:17 pm

You have a lot of square shape in your livingroom and a round coffee table would break it up and look wonderful!

I’m in the Spread the Love recipe contest too. Your cookies look amazing! Love the recipe!!

Missy November 4, 2013 at 8:30 pm

I’m actually considering changing around my living room too lol

K November 4, 2013 at 8:38 pm

I love the new couch. We are looking for the exact same deal… chaise, not too big, gray/charcol. You snagged a great pick! A round coffee table would look nice. I think if you put something under the window, that wall will have too much stuff there… Maybe a larger rug that extends beyond all sides of the couch to make the room look tied together?

Heather November 4, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Sunday I got my pumpkin oatmeal on to the delight of others at home! Spaghetti squash is one of my favorites – can’t wait to see what you do with it! :)

Ellen Renee November 4, 2013 at 8:49 pm

You have plenty of advice for your decorating dilemma but I have a suggestion for soup….I just recently tried a VERY delicious and EASY recipe from Emily Bites blog…Butternut Squash. I have made it 3 times this fall and have even frozen a couple of containers.

Runner Girl Eats November 4, 2013 at 9:27 pm

I am a useless interior designer. I am always depending on my mom to make my house look like adults live here instead of 7 college kids.

Christina November 4, 2013 at 9:35 pm

I think a round coffee table would be great! But I disagree with adding more furniture – you don’t want to clutter the space.

Kelsey November 4, 2013 at 9:53 pm

I agree about the coffee table being too big. Here’s a similar living room where they used a round ottoman as the coffee table and got a side chair like you mentioned for the window.

Hope those help. Two small tables or a round one could definitely make a little more room and allow for a new window chair, but that’s just the designer in me =]

And I’m pretty sure we are full steam ahead into the best month known to peanut butter fanatics alike!

Eating 4 Balance November 4, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Voted for you! The cookie recipe looks great :)

I think one of those short/wide wood bookcases would be cute under the window, or some type of bin storage unit.

That butternut squash soup sounds delicious! You should recreate it :)

Tina November 5, 2013 at 6:11 am

Thank you!!

Lea November 4, 2013 at 10:02 pm

We had similar issue after purchasing a new sectional. Our solution was a square faux leather storage ottoman. Great for storing cozy blankets and fits the space well. An accent chair completes the look. Best wishes!

Karoline November 4, 2013 at 10:03 pm
    Livi November 4, 2013 at 10:05 pm

I love the idea of an accent chair!

Jody - Fit at 55 November 4, 2013 at 10:25 pm

I am useless with home stuff! :) That is amazing to me compared to what I do! ;)

COOKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I voted!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape November 4, 2013 at 10:42 pm

I am awful at home decor, so I have little to add to this. BUT, I can tell you that pug pillow is adorable!!

anne November 4, 2013 at 11:27 pm

cute couch! Go for that round coffee table, that would look great. I agree with the previous commenter, that a chair under the window would be too many pieces along that wall. What is directly across from the couch, could you move the TV there?

Casey November 5, 2013 at 12:46 am

AGH!That. is. the. WORST!!! This happened to us when we moved into our new apartment – our two couches just looked awkward together. I think L shaped couches tend to create this problem a lot! Best of luck searching!! I’m sure you guys will figure it out!!

Lindsay November 5, 2013 at 12:53 am

I think you mean “jibe,” not “jive”

Jennifer November 5, 2013 at 6:21 am

Here are my thoughts – I love the design of your area rug, but I think it’s too small. That’s making the proportions of the sofa “not work.” As for the coffee table, you may need something a little lighter feeling to balance the more substantial sofa. These tables might be too $$, but look at the two “Tanner Cube” tables at Pottery Barn. You could find something similar somewhere else. Your home is evolving beautifully!

Krista November 5, 2013 at 6:53 am

Plant stand in front of the window? I love the room : )

Jenny Stafford November 5, 2013 at 8:51 am

These look awesome! I really love it…

Kristin @ A Mom on the Run November 5, 2013 at 9:24 am

I really need to start trying oatmeal in the morning – your add in suggestions always sound so good!

How fun that you’re running Wine & Dine! I’m doing the half — it’s my first time down there during the Food & Wine festival without my kids, my husband and I are really looking forward to it. I’ve heard it’s amazing!

Tina November 5, 2013 at 9:31 am

Fun! Good luck this weekend!!

sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com November 5, 2013 at 9:26 am

same issue! we bought a couch (on impulse) over the summer but the coffee table doesn’t fit, especially with a sectional, chaise, and reclining seats. it’s impossible to find something that works. we aren’t using anything right now, except for tv trays when needed. it looks so empty without a table though. looking forward to seeing how you handle this, i hope i can get some ideas!

Rose November 5, 2013 at 10:11 am

With such a small space, I would nix the coffee table altogether. Sell it on craigslist and get some cash! As far the space under the window, what about a little bench that held some colorful books or something? The room could use a burst of color, I think. You could also tie in that color with accent pillows, too.

Evamarie November 5, 2013 at 3:29 pm

I had the same exact shape and size couch in my old apartment – def go with the round coffee table. Plus a mix of different shapes will look great :)

Pauline November 5, 2013 at 7:24 pm

I made whole foods’ butternut squash soup this past weekend (the recipe is on their website), it was super delicious and SO easy to make!

Tina November 5, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Good to know! I want to make it now! 😄

sara November 5, 2013 at 9:46 pm

We have a sectional too, and had both a rectangular and round coffee table, only to find that *two* end tables (one at the end of the long section, one separating the longer piece from the shorter piece, or your chaise) were the answer. No coffee table at all, and we don’t miss it!

Kate November 6, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Hi, Tina! As a native Floridian (born in Tampa, lived in West Palm and Orlando) I can tell you the way to survive there is dresses. They are cool, comfortable and dry quickly from rain and sweat (yes, ew).

Other than that, always have a sweater or hoodie for wearing indoors since the a/c is always on high. Best of luck and “hi” to my former home! :)

Chrissi November 12, 2013 at 4:23 pm

I think that your scale is fine. The rug is too small. Could you try a larger rug? Or take out the current rug and mark out a larger rug with masking tape to see if that would do the trick! Cute couch!

Colleen November 22, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Just came across this on Pinterest and it reminded me of your space :)

Tina November 22, 2013 at 12:41 pm