• Monday Was Great

November 19, 2013

Good morning!

Yesterday was great. So many things about the day made me smile: new projects, lunch with a friend, vegan sushi, cake pops, and giving Murphy a bunch of goodies that made him so happy. It was an all-around wonderful day, especially for a Monday!

Breakfast

My morning started bright and early with breakfast: 2 waffles with almond butter and banana slices (inside and on top) and a glass of OJ. Delish!

After breakfast, I immediately got to work. A ton of new opportunities are coming my way lately, so I’ve spent a lot of time in front of my computer recently, writing and blogging like crazy, which, honestly, is a little stressful, but very exciting at the same time.

I absolutely love what I do, and it’s fun to work with different brands and experience new things, so every day and every project is a little different, which always keeps me on my toes. At the end of the day, I am so incredibly grateful for every single opportunity that comes my way and enables me to keep on blogging at CNC. I love this blog and you guys so very much.

quote-do-what-you-love-and-youll-never-work-a-day-in-your-life
    [source]

Snack

Mid-morning, I felt a little snack-y, so I ate a DELICIOUS almond date roll from Whole Foods. These things are incredible. If you see them at WF, buy them. You won’t be disappointed!

A little before 11:00 AM, I headed to Whole Foods to meet my friend Jess for a “Vegan Thanksgiving” tasting. She’s a vegan and foodie, so we talk about food and recipes all the time at CrossFit, so she asked me if I wanted to join her. Food? Thanksgiving? Sign me up!

When we arrived at Whole Foods, we were informed that the tasting wouldn’t start until noon, so Jess and I grabbed an early lunch. She was hungry after a CrossFit workout and I’m just hungry all the time, so we headed to the salad and hot bars.

Jess and I ate and chatted for almost an hour before we walked back over to see what was happening at the “Vegan Thanksgiving” tasting. Unfortunately, not much was happening, but we had the opportunity to try a really delicious Vegan Green Onion Dip, which you would not know was vegan unless someone told you.

I would totally bring this dip to a party or get-together and have no worries about people not liking it. It was excellent, and it seems so easy to make!

photo (4)

When I got home from Whole Foods, I noticed that a special delivery was waiting on our front porch for Murphy: his very first BarkBox! <— referral link, which earn points toward future BarkBoxes

I read about BarkBox on a bunch of blogs (Murphy’s pug girlfriend gets them and loves them) and it sounded so cool, so I finally ordered one for Murphy after seeing a coupon code on Biggie Small’s Instgram account.

If you’re not following Biggie, please do (@Biggie_Griffon). He’s the cutest non-pug out there! (More pics of Biggie!)

enhanced-buzz-32349-1379101024-0
    [source]

Anyway, I waited until Mal got home to open Murphy’s BarkBox because I knew he’d find the pug’s ridiculous excitement amusing—even though, Mal didn’t think Murphy needed a BarkBox. C’mon now. Of course, Murphy needed a BarkBox. Jeez, Mal. Who are you? The fun police?

Dinner

For dinner, I chowed down on some vegan sushi from Whole Foods that Jess highly recommended. It was really good—I loved the peanut sauce that came with it.

Apparently, I was in the mood for veggies last night because I also ate a bowl of roasted broccoli and honey-roasted carrots. I made them for Mal as part of his dinner, and they looked so good, I just needed to have some.

And, for dessert, I enjoyed a couple of gluten-free cake pops made with Nikki’s Coconut Butter and pitted dates. I used a recipe for Pumpkin Spice Date Pops for inspiration, but I used the vanilla cake batter coconut butter and nixed the maple syrup. They were delicious!

gluten_free_cake_pops

After dinner, we gave Murphy his BarkBox.

I’m so glad I waited for Mal to get home because he had a blast opening Murphy’s BarkBox with him.

(After seeing how excited Murphy got about all of his new goodies, Mal changed his tune about him needing a BarkBox. Mal is definitely a fan now and sees the “necessity” of BarkBoxes in Murphy’s life!)

As soon as Mal opened the box, Murphy immediately went for the stuffed toy.

It was love at first sight!

He then proceeded to run around the house with it!

Murphy's_new_toy_

Mal eventually captured Murphy’s attention again with a selection of treats: Duck Jerky Chews and Truffle Mac & Cheese Biscuits (don’t these sound delicious?).

Murphy had a tough time deciding… Truffle Mac & Cheese Biscuits?

Or Ducky Jerky?

Mal eventually intervened and swayed Murphy toward the Truffle Mac & Cheese Biscuits.

And Murphy loved them!

Also inside the box was a bag of Twistix, a dog treat for good oral hygiene—important, but not nearly as fun as treats!

Murphy spent the rest of the night chewing his new toy, so I’d say his first BarkBox was a success!

Health News & Views

It happens to the best of us: Thanksgiving rolls around and we enjoy the holiday dinner a little too much. A binge that includes buttery potatoes, greasy gravy, rich casseroles, and—of course—lots of turkey (not to mention pumpkin pie!) can leave you feeling bloated, uncomfortable, and irritable. If you find yourself in this situation this year, you don’t have to suffer through the aftereffects. Here are some things you can do the day after Thanksgiving that will help you feel better—plus some tips for getting your diet back on track for the rest of the holiday season.

How to Recover From a Thanksgiving Food Binge

fibro-slide-stomach-400x400

Questions of the Day

Has your pup tried BarkBox yet?

Veggie sushi: yay or nay?

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being A LOT), how much do you like your job?

P.S. Boston folks and those of you who love Once: The musical is coming to the Boston Opera House in January. I love the music and story so much, and I bought tickets for Mal and me yesterday. Just wanted to share for the fans out there!

Angie @ Pint of Goals November 19, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Do you follow Barkbox on Instagram? They have the best dog photos!

Ashley November 19, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I am not a huge fan of my current job, but that was a major reason I started my blog. While it doesn’t pay the bills, it gives me an outlet for my passions, and you gotta love that!

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run November 19, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Glad you had a happy Monday :) Excited to hear about your new blogging opportunities!

Ashley @ BrocBlog November 19, 2013 at 12:30 pm

I LOVE veggie sushi, I like my job, and I need a bark box for Lil’ Hal.

Katie @ SkinnyMinnieMoves November 19, 2013 at 12:31 pm

I thought about the barkbox for Phoebs, but I love picking out her things! Although I know she’d love the toy surprise inside. :)

Liz November 19, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Sadly, my level of liking my job is about a 3 out of 10, I give it a 3 mainly because I think I’m paid well for what I do and appreciate having enough money to do the things I want to do (and in that sense I’m very fortunate compared to many).

I like the idea of vegan sushi and have had it at Whole Foods before but honestly don’t find it all that filling.

Taylor @ Singletrackedmind November 19, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Exciting blog opportunities! Love a Whole Foods-filled day.

Jenn @ Fairest Run of All November 19, 2013 at 12:53 pm

There isn’t a MeowBox by chance, is there?

Amy b November 19, 2013 at 1:00 pm

I also made those Nikki coconut butter cake pops this weekend. Made it simplier by making them cake balls, without the sticks. I used several flavors of the coconut butters since it was for a crossfit benefit (Barbells for Boys..thought “balls” would fit the theme). They were a huge hit!!

Tina November 19, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Nice! They were so good! Mal and I ate them all already! 😄

Megan November 19, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Ahhh I am SO EXCITED about Once! I got my husband tickets for his birthday last month.

Katrina November 19, 2013 at 1:27 pm

OJ for breakfast lately…is someone pregnant?? And not many crossfit recaps lately??? Here’s to hoping you have some fun news soon! :)

Ashlee@HisnHers November 19, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Ok I love vegan sushi because I dont eat meat and I dont like the taste of regular sushi, but Ive never understood why they still call it that! It’s really just a summer roll, right?!

Michelle November 19, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Katrina – I have been thinking the same thing!! Decaf coffee….skipping the chance to run a half marathon….no booze….less CrossFit….maybe her sister gave her baby fever. :)

Katrina November 19, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I totally agree!! Only time will tell! :)

Annette@FitnessPerks November 19, 2013 at 3:38 pm

@Katrina: I’ve been thinking the same thing!! :) I hope so!

That is actually my fave job right now–being a mama!

Julie November 19, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Vegan green onion dip sounds amazing – wait, is that supposed to be for Thanksgiving though?

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance November 19, 2013 at 2:30 pm

How adorable is Murphy! The excitement from the Barkbox is adorable. I can’t wait to read about your new opportunities! They are well deserved :)

erica November 19, 2013 at 3:05 pm

I had a 6month subscription to bark box, my dog loved it! now every time a box comes in the mail, my dog thinks it’s for him. it’s really cute. I’ve been thinking of re-enrolling.

I love that veggie sushi from whole foods! yum!

Linda @running4two November 19, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Murphy is one lucky pug! Sounds like a great day!

I’m obsessed with Once. At certain times, I cannot listen to “falling slowly” without crying! I would love to see it on stage.

Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit November 19, 2013 at 3:12 pm

You’re killing me with this post – everything was Whole Foods related and I so wish I had one in town!! That sushi looks yum. :) Currently, I’m not working to use my degree in Dietetics and I miss it so much. Thankfully, I’m searching to head back to that field and then I know I’ll be happier!

Sandi November 19, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Hi Tina, just wondering what size Barkbox you got for Murphy. Am going to order for my pug but she is right at 20lbs. Not sure if the small or medium would be better? Thanks! Love Murphys pictures!

Tina November 20, 2013 at 9:00 am

I ordered Murphy a medium box, which seemed like the right size– at least he thought so! :)

Sara @ fitnlife November 19, 2013 at 3:54 pm

A friend of mine gave my dog a BarkBox when we first got him. It made a great present for new dog owners like my husband and I. The stuffed toy didn’t last very long. My dog chewed it to pieces.

chau November 19, 2013 at 5:01 pm

vegan sushi? nay. seems sacrilegious to even call it sushi. but then there exists the california roll. do you have a coupon for the barkbox?

Tahleen November 19, 2013 at 5:54 pm

I’m a teen services librarian, and I love my job! It’s a lot of fun, and I actually know what I’m doing most of the time. :) The BarkBox looks really cute; I might have to get one for my parents’ dog for Christmas!

Jody November 19, 2013 at 5:56 pm

My job is a 10! I get to hang out with kindergartners every day! I get hugs, funny stories, and light bulb moments all day long!

Paj November 19, 2013 at 6:57 pm

I got my dog a subscription to Barkbox (a Groupon deal) last year. It was fun and seeing new toys and items was cool, but not worth the cost after that deal ran out.

Nicole November 19, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Hmm, orange juice for breakfast that’s a change for the norm, no?

Mandi November 19, 2013 at 9:25 pm

My 2 Bostons also received their first barkbox on Monday and loved it. I immediately logged on to my account and changed to a 6 month subscription.

I love my job. About an 8 on the scale but I too and very passionate about fitness and would like to get into a personal training or wellness coach type position. Is love to do something similar to CNC but am not much of a cooking extrodanaire.

Katie November 19, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Vegan sushi gets a thumbs up!

Liz November 20, 2013 at 3:28 am

I just moved to Taiwan, and my dog is stuck in quarantine for three weeks :-( She will definitely need a Bark Box to welcome her home! I have to admit, I am not a fan of vegan sushi. I love sashimi, so I’m willing to give up the rice and veggies – but not the fish!

Courtney @ Don't Blink. Just Run. November 20, 2013 at 7:50 am

I love the pics of Murphy opening the Barkbox! So cute!!

On a scale of 1-10, I’d say I like my job at around a…zero. The job itself is just OK, but I work in the single most miserable department in the company which makes for very long days. Plus, I work with a big bully, which I thought I’d never have to deal with outside of school. It’s actually kind of ridiculous.

Laura November 20, 2013 at 8:14 am

I’ll say 6.5 for my job. It’s my first job out of college and I work with adults who have mental illnesses. I love my job, but at the same time it is exhausting because I am either always on the road or behind in paperwork. But you’ve got to start somewhere right? Plus, I want to stay in this field so I really can’t complain!

Sammy @ Peace Love and Ice Cream November 20, 2013 at 10:08 am

Great post! That Bark Box is too cute – what a great business idea!
    I am a stay-at-home mom so I give my job an 11 ;)
    -Sammy

Gianna @ Run, Lift, Repeat November 20, 2013 at 11:02 am

I love his excitement!!! he is so cute. I might need to get that as a christmas gift for my nephew aka sisters pup :)

I am at a 10 right now with work. I changed careers totally this year and it could not be better. Work has it’s challenges but I work with a great group and that makes navigating it all a lot easier.

Bonnie November 20, 2013 at 1:25 pm

You’re obviously pregnant. Just admit it already. Or if youre going to hide it, don’t make up crap about loving veggie sushi, etc. You were obssessed with coffee and crossfit and sushi and now all of a sudden you hate those things anymore and LOVE something else. Get it together.

Tina November 20, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Woah. How about you chill out? Maybe get it together yourself? This is MY blog, and I will share what I want about MY personal life. If you don’t like reading what I have to say here, PLEASE DON’T READ.

Amanda November 21, 2013 at 12:07 pm

First Stitch Fix and now Bark Box?! There goes the rest of my pay check! Ha ha! But seriously, my lab Reggie would love Bark Box. I follow Biggie Griffon on Instagram. I love all the videos!

I would try any kind of sushi. I love it all…except for octopus.

I have a love hate relationship with my job. Love the organization I work for, hate what I do. If I worked in a different area of the organization I know I would love it.

Niki Mosier November 22, 2013 at 11:38 am

Our beast would love a bark box, but she can’t have treats with grain, so I’m worried there would be things she couldn’t have :(

I love my job…I get to work from home too.

Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats November 27, 2013 at 2:37 pm

I have been trying to get my boyfriend to agree that my dog needs a barkbox for AGES. I am sending this post to him RIGHT now haha!

Shannon December 6, 2013 at 1:41 pm

I’ve been considering trying this box for either myself or a friend for a while. You’re write-up definitely has made me decide to go for it!