• Mickey’s Jingle Jungle 5K

November 12, 2013

Bright and early on Saturday morning, I ran Mickey’s Jingle Jungle 5K, a holiday-themed fun run through Animal Kingdom.

IMG_8306

I met our group at 5:30 AM to head over to the start. The sun was just starting to rise when we arrived.

IMG_8291

Our group for the 5K: Ryan (Julie’s husband), Julie, me, Jen (editor at Women’s Health), Dana and Melissa (fabulous PR women for New Balance).

IMG_8293

Since I attended the race on behalf of New Balance, here’s a quick rundown of my race day outfit:

Micky's_Jingle_Jungle_5K_

Our group was in the very last coral, so it took us about 10-15 minutes to cross the start line, but it was a fun experience once we got there. There was music, enthusiastic announcers, and fake snow! It was actually my first time seeing fake snow, so I was pretty excited. (Is this how people, who have never seen real snow, feel the first they see it? Haha!)

IMG_8301

Going into this race, I was told it was one you shouldn’t try to PR because it was just so crowded, so I didn’t have any time goals or expectations, but I didn’t realized just how many people would be racing the course too.

IMG_8311

Various parts of the course in the Animal Kingdom get really narrow, so we were pretty much shoulder-to-shoulder the entire race. There were also a lot of people walking the race, so it was difficult to run at race pace. My fastest speed was a brisk jog. Even still, I had a great time, especially seeing all of the fun costumes—there was a mix of holiday and character costumes!

IMG_8317

There was also a number of Disney characters along the route that you could get your picture taken with. We saw a lot of long lines, but they moved quickly. Those Disney photographers are efficient!

IMG_8319

All in all, Mickey’s Jingle Jungle 5K was a great race. It would be perfect for newbie runners or families with kids, and I think you could definitely race it if you registered early and got yourself in the first coral.

IMG_8324

After the race, we had a couple of hours to kill, so I went back to my hotel room, showered, and relaxed a little before it was time for brunch.

IMG_5672

New Balance hosted an epic brunch for us at the Grand Floridian where we stayed for the Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend.

IMG_5679

Seriously, it was an epic meal with all sorts of delicious brunch options!

IMG_5674

IMG_5675

IMG_5678

IMG_5680

I was wooed by the omelet woman, so I ordered one with all of the fixings.

IMG_5681

IMG_5682

My plate – round one:

IMG_5685

Heavenly!

IMG_5686

My plate – round two (also heavenly):

IMG_5687

One more recap post to come!

Questions of the Day

What’s your favorite race theme to dress up for?

Are you excited about the holidays or is it still too early?

Would you rather eat a mostly sweet brunch or savory brunch?

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance November 12, 2013 at 11:21 am

I definitely enjoy sweet as opposed to savory! Still too early for me for holiday shopping. Not until Thanksgiving for me!

Teresa @www.fitinwoodbine.com November 12, 2013 at 11:30 am

So excited for the holidays. I think Thanksgiving and Christmas are slowly merging into one! Love a savory breakfast!

Jana @ Happy Wife Healthy Life November 12, 2013 at 11:32 am

This looks like such a fun race for family’s and kids! I haven’t ran many theme races, but once I did a jingle bell run where everyone wore, you guessed it, holiday garb and jingle bells!

I like a mix of salty and sweet for brunch! A veggie and cheese omelet with a big stack of pancakes sounds just about perfect! :)

Sabrina November 12, 2013 at 11:37 am

Disney race are my favorite (and the most fun), but I am probably just a biased Disney passholder. I have yet to dress up for a race, but I think for next years Tower of Terror my boyfriend and I will do something from the Nightmare Before Christmas.

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 12, 2013 at 11:37 am

I love that you get to take pictures with all the Disney characters during the race! I’d love to do a Disney race just for that reason!

Becki @ Bites 'n Brews November 12, 2013 at 11:41 am

I’m a huge savory fan. It takes me a little longer to realize I’m full with savory – if I have a cinnamon roll for breakfast, it’s one and done. I can graze for hours over a savory breakfast casserole!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun November 12, 2013 at 11:47 am

I actually have never dressed up for a race, but if I ever ran a Disney one I think I would HAVE to dress up! Looks like a great race – and the breakfast looks even better :)

sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com November 12, 2013 at 12:01 pm

savory vs. sweet-totally depends on my mood!

joelle (on a pink typewriter) November 12, 2013 at 12:12 pm

That looks so fun! I really want to do a race in Disney one of these days.

Jackie November 12, 2013 at 12:27 pm

I’m in full out holiday mode bring it on!

Kari Burghardt November 12, 2013 at 12:39 pm

What a fun event and to hang out with pbfingers…I mean Julie! ;) awesome!

Becky @ Olives n Wine November 12, 2013 at 1:21 pm

What a fun race! I love the idea of being able to take photos with Disney characters :) I’m definitely already excited for the holidays – can’t wait for Thanksgiving and Christmas!

amrapCindy November 12, 2013 at 1:22 pm

The race looks really fun, but brunch looks phenomenal. Haha. I guess you can see where my priorities are.

Livi November 12, 2013 at 1:27 pm

I am SUCH a sweet girl! Give me pastries and desserts for brunch :)

Livi November 12, 2013 at 1:27 pm

I am SUCH a sweet girl! Give me pastries and desserts for brunch :)

Elizabeth @ Positive Change November 12, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Love the recap! Being a HUGE Disney fan I have loved reading about the recaps in the blogging world! I am so ready for the holidays! It’s such a magical time! I would do savory, I’m not a huge sweets fan.

Elle November 12, 2013 at 1:48 pm

I’m all about the savory brunch. Eggs and potatoes and meat, yes please!

Ashley November 12, 2013 at 1:55 pm

That does not look like your standard brunch fair!

Alex @ Kenzie Life November 12, 2013 at 1:59 pm

That looks like so much fun! I’m really excited for the Holidays this year. In the past I used to dread hearing Christmas music before Thanksgiving but this year might be different. I love a good mix of sweet and savory. Too much sweet stuff in the morning gives me a stomach ache so I love to have an omelet or something to balance it :)

Kammie @ Sensual Appeal November 12, 2013 at 1:59 pm

How fun! It’s funny though that’s it’s a Jingle 5K but people are dressed in shorts and tank tops… Oh yeah, I live in Chicago. It will always blow my mind I guess haha.

Tina November 12, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Haha! I thought that too!

Shel@PeachyPalate November 12, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Id go mostly sweet…pancakes all the way! Though the fresh omelet looks really good! Love seeing my food made and presented in front of me! We’ve a Christmas Fair in the restaurant in a couple of weeks time…mulled wine and roasted chestnuts…it’ll feel Christmassy then!

Lauren @ Peaks and Passports November 12, 2013 at 3:03 pm

It is DEFINITELY not too early to get excited about the holidays! I’m already getting pumped. That race (and the whole trip) looks like such an awesome way to kick off the season!

Purelytwins November 12, 2013 at 3:06 pm

love the Disney race pics!! we will have to look into doing the 5k ;)

Linda @ running4two November 12, 2013 at 3:12 pm

I loooove Christmas so I am ready!

Sweet brunch all the way! I could eat chocolate at every meal :).

Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit November 12, 2013 at 3:29 pm

YES – bring on the holidays! I have Christmas music on in the car and even at work – love, love, love it!

Bethany November 12, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I love Holiday runs. New Bedford, MA has a Santa Run that I did 2 years ago. With your registration you got a Santa suit. It was awesome to see the sea of Santas.
    Since it’s mid November I’m better with the holiday stuff. The day after Halloween is too early.

Niki Mosier November 12, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Omelets at the best! that looks amazing!

Shop from your couch at http://expertbrand.com. Use the code Active10 to save big!

Molly November 12, 2013 at 4:10 pm

I don’t have a preference for brunch, I seriously love it all SO much. It has to be my favorite meal.

I also love love the Holidays, I live away from my family so I get so excited to be lazy at home with them!

Christa November 12, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I am SO unbelievably excited for the holiday season! I don’t think it’s too early at all; once Starbucks has my precious Skinny Peppermint Mocha it is officially the holiday season!

Jessica Himes November 12, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Hi Tina! I have a question that I know you can answer. I have been working out early in the mornings, and typically eat breakfast post-workout (within an hour). Should I be eating before workouts too? How do you plan your eating when you do morning workouts?

Tina November 12, 2013 at 8:03 pm

It’s really all about how you feel in the morning. I’m always hungry when I wake up, and I hate exercising on an empty stomach, so I eat breakfast before my morning workouts. I know some people don’t like to have food in their stomach when they exercise, so they wait until after to eat. You could always try both ways and see what you prefer. Or eat half your breakfast before and half after. It’s totally up to you and what you think works best! 😄

Jessica Himes November 14, 2013 at 5:52 pm

@Tina: Thanks! This helps- I will have to try both :)

Amanda November 12, 2013 at 7:39 pm

YUM! Looks delish. I am a sucker for brunch, fave meal of the day and one reason why weekends are the best. ;) I used to like sweets, but I notice now that savory foods are much more filling, so I try to go for those more often than not. However, I had caramelized bacon & chocolate chip pancakes this past weekend and they were the perfect mix of sweet & savory! Heaven.

Debbie @ Healthy Running Mom November 12, 2013 at 8:24 pm

They’re all very cute.
    The thin spirit holiday band is fun.

Jody - Fit at 55 November 12, 2013 at 8:56 pm

I loved following all the post & IG pics on this fun time!!!!

Suzanne November 12, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Looks like a fun race, now I want to run Disney too! Love a good omelet at brunch, but the sweet stuff usually wins out!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats November 12, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Sounds like it was such a fun race! I loved your race outfit!

Love that the omelette lady wooing you made you order all the fixings :) Brunch looked great too.

Annette@FitnessPerks November 12, 2013 at 9:34 pm

What a fun race! I think a disney race would be such a blast. One day I’ll do one!

Yummy looking brunch. Mmmm!

Nichole @ Green Cuisine Queen November 12, 2013 at 10:30 pm

I have never done a themed race, although it sounds soo fun! I’d love to do a Disney race. Like the Princess one!
    I think if you really love the holidays, it is okay to celebrate as early as you want ;)
    And I prefer a sweet brunch! :)

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape November 13, 2013 at 8:52 am

The holidays can’t come soon enough! Anything to spread Christmas joy a little longer throughout the year is no bad thing in my book! I love seeing everyone smile! :-)

Alyssa November 13, 2013 at 12:18 pm

That seems like such a fun race! That would definitely get me into the holiday spirit. I am excited for the holidays, but not for the cold lol. I think I would need a mix of sweet & savory for brunch. I have a huge sweet tooth, but I could only eat so much French toast or pancakes with syrup haha.