• Meeting Jenny Simpson {Disney Wine & Dine Weekend}

November 10, 2013

Hellooooo! I’m having a blast here in Orlando!

IMG_8239

After sleeping in a little bit on Friday morning, our group headed over to the race expo at the ESPN Wide World of Sports.

Sarah, Julie, and I called each other the night before and coordinated our outfits for the day. (FYI: We are wearing is the Moto Pullover from the Heidi Klum collection.)

The expo was really great with all sorts of awesome vendors, brands, and Disney gear. I think it was actually one of the best expos I’ve ever been to!

While wandering around the expo, I saw the special, limited edition New Balance 860v3, a Mickey and Minnie-inspired sneaker for 2013.

Earlier this year, New Balance produced 1,000 pairs of this special Disney-inspired shoe and sold out within hours at the very first Disney race of the year. The shoe was such a hit with Disney runners, New Balance made more and, in 2014, New Balance will create an all new, more customizable (with special race-specific inserts) sneaker!

A few of the fun shirts I saw at the expo:

IMG_8243 (600x800)IMG_8250 (600x800)

After spending some time at the expo, our group headed to the New Balance Track & Field Complex where we ate lunch and then had a chance to meet Jenny Simpson.

Lunch was delicious—salad, roasted veggies, pulled pork, grilled chicken breast, fresh fruit, and cookies—all of my favorites!

During lunch, we had the opportunity to watch Jenny do a track workout.

She was cruising!

When Jenny finished her workout, she chatted with our group and answered a bunch of questions.

In the video below, Jenny talks about her workouts. She averages about 70 miles per week!

Other interesting tidbits from Jenny:

• Before workouts and races, she typically eats oatmeal or cereal.
    • After workouts and races, she eats as soon as possible. She said she once met with a registered dietitian, who said the recommendation about eating within 20-30 minutes of exercise is a good one, but you should really consume some calories ASAP. Jenny’s usual picks are yogurt, smoothies, chocolate milk, or something with a 3:1 protein to carb ratio.
    • Jenny’s recovery day workout pace is 7:10 and she runs for 60-90 minutes. Recovery days are all about time not distance for her.
    • Jenny takes a full rest day once every 8 weeks.
    • When she went pro, Jenny was pitched by 7 different athletic brands, but ultimately chose New Balance.

jenny_simpson_ (2) (500x699)

Jenny was really sweet, friendly, and down-to-earth. She even ended up chatting with a group of us for quite awhile after the formal session ended.

photo
    credit: Instagram @rungiarun

Questions of the Day

Who is your running hero?

If you could ask Jenny anything, what would you ask her? (New Balance offered to coordinate interview with her, so I’ll send along your questions!)

Monica November 10, 2013 at 8:47 am

I NEED that Dear God shirt-it is so me!

Sammy @ Peace Love and Ice Cream November 10, 2013 at 9:52 am

That is so awesome!! What a great weekend for you :)
    And of course the expo was amazing – Disney doesn’t mess around ;)
    -Sammy

Erin November 10, 2013 at 10:37 am

Oh woah…she only takes a rest day once every 8 weeks?! I love hearing how these athletes train and eat!!!

Cute outfits too!!

Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life November 10, 2013 at 11:03 am

Her RECOVERY pace is 7:10?! Holy cow, she’s super speedy!! That expo looks like so much fun!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun November 10, 2013 at 11:55 am

Wow what an amazing weekend you have had! So amazing to meet her! She is crazy fast! I am in awe!

Bethany November 10, 2013 at 11:58 am

My running hero is Joan Benoit Samuelson. She ran NYCM this year in under 3 hours at age 57.

Jackie November 10, 2013 at 12:11 pm

That’s a heck of a lot of running how does she stay injury free???

Jenn November 10, 2013 at 1:08 pm

She is absolutely inspiring to me!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 10, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Sooo jealous; looks like you’re having a great time–Disney is the best!

Heidi @ Idlehide November 10, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Awesome! My running hero has to be Kara Goucher, I’ve been a fan of hers for a long time now and just really like her!

RunEatRepeat November 10, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Thanks for sitting and the weirdo table with me at lunch.

Tina November 10, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Friends don’t let friends dine alone!

Katie @ Balanced RD November 10, 2013 at 6:05 pm

It looks like you are having so much fun! I love that Moto pullover…so cute!

Melissa November 10, 2013 at 7:37 pm

What a fun weekend! Great photos!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats November 10, 2013 at 8:29 pm

I loved reading Julie’s recap too about meeting Jenny! I am so going to try and make it a goal to eat something more quickly after a workout, I always thought 20 mins was the rule but good to know that it really is the sooner the better :)

Molly November 10, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Does she do any other fitness? Yoga, lifting?

Jody - Fit at 55 November 10, 2013 at 9:57 pm

So much fun! The wicked strong – got to love it!!!!

Ashley November 10, 2013 at 10:18 pm

710 recovery pace…. AMAZING. Tell me your secrets, haha.

Alex @ Kenzie Life November 10, 2013 at 10:21 pm

That looks like an awesome expo! I’ve always wanted to go to one and I think next year I’ll make it a goal to find one to attend :)

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance November 10, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Just her recovery pace is 7:10!? That’s amazing!

Kerri Hassan November 11, 2013 at 8:00 am

Wow that’s amazing…. does she find it difficult only taking one rest day every 8 weeks? What’s her recommendation on the number of rest days for the average person who works out for fun and to stay fit?

mary @ minutes per mile November 11, 2013 at 8:46 am

i think it’s interesting that she runs for time, not distance. also that she *only* averages 70 miles per week, which isn’t really that high for a pro/semi-pro runner, you know? i’d be curious to know how she came to adapt her current training program and how it differs in quantity/quality miles than training programs she has used in the past.

Elizabeth @ Positive Change November 11, 2013 at 9:10 am

What an awesome weekend! I really love Ryan Hall. I just love how inspirational he is! Disney does the best expos!

Erika November 11, 2013 at 9:44 am

WOW, 70 miles a week with a recovery time of 7:10, I’m truly amazed! I wish I could run 70 miles a week!

Kristin @ A Mom on the Run November 11, 2013 at 10:24 am

70 miles a week is insane — that’s what I run in a month most of the time! I met her at the meet up and she seemed really sweet :) I can’t imagine only taking a rest day every 8 weeks — I love my weekly rest day!

I love the Disney expo’s, I may have spent just a little too much money there.. oops! :)

Cori @ She's Going the Distance November 11, 2013 at 10:33 am

I’m so jealous (& happy for you of course) that you met jenny simpson! sooo freakin cool :)

Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog November 11, 2013 at 10:46 am

I am having so much fun reading about your weekend in Disney. I must admit that I am envious of you – tell New Balance I want to go too :-) haha

Here’s my questions for Jenny: Since it sounds like she doesn’t take a lot of rest days – what does she do when she just doesn’t have the motivation or the juice? Sounds like she makes a workout happen anyway, but when 7:10 is a recovery day pace, obviously there’s not much room to be unmotivated. How does she motivate when it’s not there?

Meredith November 11, 2013 at 11:17 am

Where can you get some of those t-shirts??

Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit November 11, 2013 at 12:45 pm

1 full rest day every 8 weeks?! My gosh!!

Niki November 11, 2013 at 2:39 pm

One full off day every 8 weeks? That insanity!!
    Sounds like you are having a blast though!

Cassie November 11, 2013 at 3:13 pm

7:10 recovery pace? That’s amazing!

My question for her would be: If she only takes one full recovery day each week, how does she train on non-running days?

Livi November 11, 2013 at 9:36 pm

that is awesome! I can’t believe she only takes one recovery day every 8 weeks!

Britters November 12, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Meb Keflezighi is my running hero! He has an incredible life story and has such strong faith and perseverance. Check out his book “Run to Overcome.” It’s a very easy read and so inspiring. He is a really great person and such a positive role model.