• Dating Deal-Breakers

November 4, 2013

Yesterday morning, I woke up to the sound of sizzling bacon. Ooh, yes.

My wonderful and amazing husband was in the kitchen cooking us breakfast. Yay!

On the weekends, I’m usually the one who gets up first and starts making breakfast. Mal wanted to switch things up, so as soon as he saw me walk into the kitchen, he “banished” me back to the bedroom. He was a little upset that I ruined his surprise, but it’s hard to conceal the delicious smell of bacon, right?

So I climbed back into bed and read last week’s issue of US Weekly (I finally renewed my subscription) while Mal did thing in the kitchen.

IMG_7956

A little while later, I was “allowed” to come out of the bedroom for a delicious pancake and bacon breakfast. My goodness, it was delicious!

My plate + another pancake.

FYI: We bought the buttermilk pancake mix from Whole Foods, and it was really good! Mal also adds a big scoop of sour cream to his pancake batter to make them fluffier.

After breakfast, Mal and I cleaned the entire house, did laundry, all that jazz, and then we moved our old couch outside to make way for the new one.

Lunch

After our cleaning and moving spree, I ate a bowl of yogurt with banana slices and trail mix mixed in for lunch.

IMG_8050

And then we relaxed and waited for our new couch to arrive.

IMG_8059

Murphy had the toughest time without the couch. He just couldn’t get comfortable.

Murphy_minus_the_couch.

Eventually, Murphy moved onto our bed because he was so frustrated with the lack of couch in the living room. His life = so hard.

IMG_8043

While waiting for our special delivery, I kept myself entertained by doing some baking.

Sugar cookies!

With frosting and fall sprinkles! (Both recipes are from allrecipes.com.)

Hours passed and our couch still hadn’t been delivered. It was starting to get dark and cold, so Mal built us a fire. Of course, the pug helped.

murph_and_mal_building_a_fire

Dinner

I was getting pretty hungry at this point, so I ate a random mix of goodies for dinner: scrambled eggs with cheese, edamame with sea salt, and sweet potato puffs with ketchup, which I went back for a second serving of.

last_night's_dinner

Around 6:00 PM, our couch finally arrived!!! I immediately snuggled up on it with Murphy (of course) and passed out around 7:30 PM. It was awesome. (I’ll share some photos later today. It was too dark in our living room to snaps pics last night.)

IMG_8075

When I was banished to our bedroom yesterday morning, I stumbled upon a piece in US Weekly called “Dating Deal-Breakers” that I thought would make a fun Question of the Day.

photo (4) (600x450)

What are some of your dating deal-breakers?

Some of mine: If the guy is a smoker, doesn’t like animals, is rude or snarky, isn’t into fitness, is a picky eater.

Denise November 4, 2013 at 1:50 pm

I am married but my biggest deal breakers were a non-Christian and smoker/tobacco user.

Kristina Munoz November 4, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Some big deal-breakers for me are non-Christian, not an animal lover and don’t enjoy healthy living

Annette@FitnessPerks November 4, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Mmmmm pancakes are so yummy! Looks delicious :)

I am married-but some of mine were: smoker, video gamer, too short (I am tall!), and non-Christian.

Yay for new couches!

Ashley November 4, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Smoking = number one for me! But then also someone who doesn’t have the same family values I do, doesn’t appreciate healthy living, and finally who doesn’t love pets!

Shawna November 4, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Dating deal breakers, such a good topic!
    Mine: doesn’t believe in God/have a faith; smokes; isn’t into fitness/working out; is lazy/doesn’t have life goals.

Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food November 4, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Those sweet potato tots look amazing. My deal breakers are definitely if someone doesn’t love pets and if they are lazy.

Shel@PeachyPalate November 4, 2013 at 3:10 pm

I bet you wanted to sleep on the new couch having waited so long for it!!!

Debbie November 4, 2013 at 3:22 pm

If he doesn’t have a job or is allergic to cats — deal breakers!! Also, if he’s rude to the waiter on our first date, there will NOT be a second date!

Lauren @ Peaks and Passports November 4, 2013 at 3:23 pm

There are definitely some key ones that come before this, but I literally just told my boyfriend (of 5 years) yesterday that if we didn’t travel well together, I didn’t think we’d have made it this far!

Angie November 4, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Noticed your eats have changed lately – pregnant? :-)

Jess November 4, 2013 at 6:19 pm

@Angie: Totally wonder that too… haven’t seen a drink in forever!

Elisabeth November 4, 2013 at 6:50 pm

@Angie:
    Ha. I kind of wondered that, too ;)

Niki Mosier November 4, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Aw- poor poor Murphy :( I bet he loves the new couch.

jen November 4, 2013 at 3:41 pm

WWJD! Who Would Jesus Date?
    I guess not any of you Jesus-loving, close-minded Christians! Wait, what?

Ashley November 5, 2013 at 9:49 am

@jen: hahaha! I was thinking the same thing!

caitie November 5, 2013 at 10:34 am

@Ashley:

I was definitely thinking the same thing, but I am not religious AT ALL. I cannot see myself dating someone that was super religious, so does that make me close minded?! I consider myself very open-minded, but I cant picture being able to date someone who’s views were so different than mine (I am dating someone who believes in God, but its not a huge part of his life so it doesnt seem to make a difference).

Denise November 5, 2013 at 7:24 pm

I’m sorry you don’t get it.

caitie November 6, 2013 at 5:37 pm

@Denise:

raised as a christian, made my own choices when i was old enough to figure out things for myself. nothing to be “sorry” about Denise!

Chelsea November 4, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Non-christian, smoker, someone who doesn’t respect their family, excessive swearing

Julie November 4, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Love your fall decorations!

Nicole November 4, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Dealbreakers: Someone who doesn’t like or “get” the concept of family/family-time, smokers/tobacco-users, narcissists.

Anna @ Fitness à la Anna November 4, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Smoking is a TOTAL deal breaker, but low self-esteem is also a big turn-off. I like a driven, health-conscious kind of guy :)

Kate @ Trekking Kate November 4, 2013 at 5:29 pm

My Dad would wake my brothers and I up to the smell of bacon every sunday! My rules of dating was, if the guy didnt share my hobbies, hiking, backpacking, national parks, than he was ussually out the door. Luckily it worked out for me :)

Elisabeth November 4, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Deal breakers for me are: smoker, long fingernails & toenails, no ambition, bad teeth (and I don’t mean crooked teeth) and control-freak.

Kristi November 4, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Dating deal breaker… someone who acts like they could careless if he saw me or not.

Laura November 5, 2013 at 6:30 am

My current boyfriend had a lot of things I wasn’t too fond of, and I think it’s important to realize that people CAN change. When I met him he didn’t have a job, he smoked (I did too but only a few a day), and was very clingy. Now he has a full time job, we both quit smoking this past new year, and he knows I need my space.

So don’t lose hope if someone isn’t exactly what you would want to see!!

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner November 5, 2013 at 9:03 am

Hmm…I guess I didn’t have any “deal-breakers,” because people are so different. I just wasn’t attracted to the guys that weren’t for me. Worked out well! :)

Kelly Anne November 5, 2013 at 11:54 am

I have learned that deal-breakers can actually KEEP you from meeting the right person. Sometimes you need someone of opposition to challenge you.

What I THOUGHT were my deal-breakers were: Smoking, Too Short, Plays a lot of video games, doesn’t love animals — especially dogs, balding. And then I met my husband who was ALL of those things. My husband WAS a smoker when we started dating (he has since quit several years ago, for himself, not from pressure from me), he’s about an 1.5″ SHORTER than me, LOVES GTA etc, and finally…he was NOT a dog person and preferred cats (to which I’m highly allergic) he is now a total dog person and we just rescued a second pooch last month as a sibling to our 4 year old yellow lab.

It just goes to show you… we have been together for almost 10 years now and I am still deeply in love with him.

Kelly Anne November 5, 2013 at 11:57 am

@Kelly Anne:

and also, the single best way to cook bacon is in the oven with a mustard glaze (sounds repugnant, but TRUST ME ON THIS it is the BEST BACON you will ever eat. I found a recipe similar to how I make it only I don’t use Worcestershire sauce nor that much brown sugar.

Tina November 5, 2013 at 12:01 pm

That sounds amazing!

amyloispie November 5, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Is there a reason you use an electronic skillet and not a frying pan on the stove? No judgement, just wondering :)I’ve been thinking about getting one but that’s because my stove sucks.

Tina November 5, 2013 at 1:06 pm

It just works better and we can cook more at once! 😄