• Be The Good

November 13, 2013

Hi, guys!

First and foremost: A huge, massive, enormous THANK YOU to those of you who donated to Chad’s Lung Transplant Rehabilitation Fund! Lindsay texted me the other night to say thank you, and when I went clicked over to see how much was raised, the donations (almost $3,000!!) and comments literally brought tears to my eyes. You guys are the best, and there really is so much good in this world.

I wish everyone could meet Chad in person. He’s so strong with an incredibly positive outlook and he has fought so hard to get where he is today. Chad is so deserving of our help, so thank you, thank you, thank you to those of you who donated. I know Chad and Lindsay are forever grateful for your generosity. I am too!

believe there is good in the world
    [source]

So, it snowed here yesterday. Ugh, I am not ready for winter.

IMG_8378 (600x450)_thumb

Murphy isn’t either. He’s not a fan of snow.

IMG_8376_thumb[1]

He is, however, a fan of licking dirty utensils in the dishwasher, which is typically highly illegal in our house, but I wasn’t paying attention until I saw yogurt all over Murphy’s face.

IMG_8383 (600x450)_thumb

C’mon, it’s kind of cute, right?

IMG_8384 (600x450)_thumb

IMG_8387 (450x600)_thumb[3]

Here are some eats from yesterday with my grades for each of them:

Whole Foods Organic Vegetarian Chili (Mild): A-

IMG_8400 (450x600)_thumb[1]

Echo Farm Butterscotch Pudding: A+

IMG_8405 (600x600)_thumb[1]

Class Beef Stew in the crockpot: C- (I wasn’t a fan of the recipe I used. Too bland.)

IMG_8407 (450x600)_thumb[1]

And we’ll conclude with a cute dog photo…

Murphy had a blast running around and playing with Bentley (Kerrie’s new puppy) yesterday afternoon. These two are such clowns when they are together. Watching them act like little freaks totally made my day!

IMG_8408 (600x600)_thumb[1]

SoCal CrossFit Competition

Calling all SoCal CrossFitters who want to compete before the year’s end! Proving Grounds Competitions (PGC) is bringing exciting challenges to the CrossFit community, beginning with the Reindeer Games on December 7th at CrossFit ATR!

reindeer-header

The Reindeer Games is open for all athletes, no matter the level, since there are 3 divisions: advanced, intermediate, and beginner. The day of will consist of 3 workouts, which will be announced via the PGC website and FB page in the weeks and days leading up to the event. Prizes will be awarded to the top 3 finishers in each division. More details are available at the PGC website.

In the holiday spirit, PGC is giving back to the community through a partnership with Toys for Tots during the Reindeer Games. Do good and feel good doing it, all while crushing some workouts! Sign up by November 20th using the code “reindeergames” to get $10 off registration!

Have you ever experienced a random act of kindness?

What nice thing have you done lately?

Mindy November 13, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Love doing random acts of kindness. Every so often I anonymously buy someone lunch – I’ll just ask the wait staff to bring me their check. Love it. Before EZ Pass I used to pay people’s tolls all the time too, and every so often I’ll randomly pick a registry for a stranger and anonymously send a gift. love it!

Tina November 13, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Aww, you are so sweet!

Sammy @ Peace Love and Ice Cream November 13, 2013 at 1:44 pm

I try to always treat others the way I want to be treated…even strangers! A smile or a door-hold or a thank you seriously go a long way, for me at least! :)
    -Sammy

Annette November 13, 2013 at 1:46 pm

The outdoor shopping center by my house has parking meters and last year when I was Christmas shopping, someone had put money in my parking meter,It was such a nice surprise.

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl November 13, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Awww…. Murphey’s innocent little faces are too cute! Butterscotch yogurt…. this I’ve got to try!

Becky @ Olives n Wine November 13, 2013 at 1:50 pm

I just experienced a random act of kindness today. A TON of my blog friends linked up to share my recipes for my blogiversary today. I’m thinking of all of the ways I can repay the love <3

Erin @ GoBananasBlog November 13, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Hahaha. Murphy is so sneaky. If we aren’t careful our cat, Lexi, will eat any food we leave on the counter (typically when we eat in front of the tv). She gotten into the flour, scrambled eggs (her favorite), pizza, granola bars, string cheese, tortellini, etc. She managed to grab one of each flavor of tortellini we had in a strainer in the sink. Such a goober.

Livi November 13, 2013 at 2:03 pm

going to the laundry room and finding that someone dried and folded my laundry…. the BEST! people are awesome!

Jenny November 13, 2013 at 2:07 pm

LOVE Random Acts of Kindness! The nicest thing I did recently? Donated to my “blend” Erica’s Pensacola Humane Society cause, as part of her running her very first marathon!

Annette@FitnessPerks November 13, 2013 at 2:41 pm

I totally love random acts of kindness! People have brought us meals since we just had a baby–and it’s been SO nice!!

Ann K November 13, 2013 at 3:01 pm

I wouldn’t call it a random act of kindness, but rather one of humanity…I donated to the Red Cross Relief fund for the Philippines. Such a small amount of money can do so much. I’ll never see just who it benefits but I know it’s doing more good than I can from here.

Lauren @ Lettuce Eat Cake November 13, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Donating to good causes makes me feel awesome. I know I don’t do enough to help those in need, but I do try to take every opportunity that comes my way to give, knowing that every little bit makes a difference.

Sim @ The Micro Harvest November 13, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Harry ALWAYS licks the dishes in the dishwasher. We call it the “first cycle” :)

Shel@PeachyPalate November 13, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Can’t believe you managed to raise so much – or you’re readers did! Awesome! The guys in work bought me an iPhone last week…the only marketer in Ireland without one clearly and I pretty much fell over in shock!

Rachel @LittleChefBigAppetite November 13, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I was literally CRACKING UP (at work, mind you) at the picture of Murphy licking the yogurt spoon. My foster dogs do this ALL the time and it is typically knives with peanut butter or almond butter leftover. Knives = totally unsafe so very, very illegal. But so stinkin’ adorable what they will do for food.

Elizabeth @ Positive Change November 13, 2013 at 4:04 pm

My husband and I were once treated with some random stranger paying for our food when we were on vacation. It was so random and nice, we had to pay it forward! Murphy is adorable!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries November 13, 2013 at 4:23 pm

That’s too funny about Murphy licking the dirty dishes in the dishwasher! Our yellow lab does the SAME thing, and it’s also a huge no-no in our house. He tries to be all sly and sneaky about it, and it cracks me up.

Niki Mosier November 13, 2013 at 4:23 pm

I saw someone at WalMart pay for someone’s groceries once.
    Our cats once at a cupcake! An entire cupcake!!

Ashley November 13, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I am so glad that people are coming together to help him out. Both he and his wife seem like such amazing and inspirational people, it couldn’t be going to better people.

Taylor @ Singletrackedmind November 13, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I love going out of my way to help people with directions or suggestions of where to go to eat. I guess I’d appreciate the same types of advice!

Missy November 13, 2013 at 5:12 pm

I want to try CrossFit so bad!

Tina November 13, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Do it! You won’t regret it! 😄

sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com November 13, 2013 at 7:39 pm

murphy pictures always make me smile! you can totally see his personality even in a picture

Megan November 13, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Quick note on stews or soups of any kind in the crockpot! (I have had to learn and re-learn this many times). To really make them taste great, brown your veggies and meat first. It’s a pain (now you are dealing with more dirty dishes) but in the end, makes all the difference. Yummy!

Tina November 13, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Thanks for the tip!! 😄

Elisabeth November 13, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Snowed here in Ohio yesterday, too…yuck.

Cara November 13, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Tina,
    Just found your blog, and I’m already hoooked. Your little pug is just precious! I’m excited to follow along.

Cara

Tina November 14, 2013 at 6:50 am

Welcome to CNC!!! 😄

Jody - Fit at 55 November 13, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Murphy is hilarious!!!!!! I have experienced a few random acts of kindness & amazing how it changes the day!!! I try to help others & it may not seem like it at times but I try! :)

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats November 13, 2013 at 10:30 pm

At work I am on a random acts team where we do nice things for people and only sign off from the random acts team so that people have no idea who we are and it is always so great seeing their reaction to whatever kindness we have dreamt up. It is always nice for someone to also think that others notice what they do and really are thinking of them.

Murphy and that yoghurt are just seriously too cute!! That photo with it on his face is too funny.

Julie November 13, 2013 at 10:53 pm
    Tina November 14, 2013 at 6:49 am

Aww, so cute!!

Annie @ herightfit.com November 13, 2013 at 10:53 pm

After a tough day, its good to be reminded that we have to be the good in the world that we want to see!

Megan November 13, 2013 at 10:58 pm

I love that picture of Murphy! I used to foster two kittens who not only did the same things with the dishes but they would sneakily climb into the refrigerator while we had it open to try to get the food. We had to check every time we closed the fridge to make sure there weren’t two little furballs in there!

jen November 14, 2013 at 12:03 am

I believe in karma and do things like letting someone turn which you know driving in mass is huge at times lol. When ever I’m out running errands I am always being asked for help by older people, I must just give off a super friendly vibe and I never mind. If someone needs help and I’m able to help out I figure why not. My dog is always licking plates in the dishwasher, they must feel its at there level so its ok. As long as there no sharp knifes I usually don’t make a big deal out of it, he’s 11 and is always good.

Jodea @ chillichocolatelove November 14, 2013 at 2:26 am

I hate when crock pot dishes turn out bland. That is a good tip to brown the ingredients first.

Runner Girl Eats November 14, 2013 at 6:28 am

Random acts of kindness are the best. I occasionally pay for the person’s coffee behind me in line as a little way to spread some joy :)

Ashley @ Power, Love, and Self Discipline November 14, 2013 at 7:33 am

On vacation in Portugal one year, we noticed a very elderly blind man sitting in the hotel garden by himself. After a few days of seeing him and realizing he was alone, we invited him to dinner with us.

MIZ November 14, 2013 at 8:10 am

yesterday was simply a CRAPTASTIC day around here…
    as a result I snagged the child early from school (shhh!!) and we MITZVAHED all around oakland.
    did good deeds.
    helped and focused on OTHERS.
    it turned my day around–HELPERS HIGH and all.

Monica November 14, 2013 at 8:26 am

Forgive me for not showing a whole lot of sympathy over your snow flurries, since my town just got 17 inches in less than 12 hours on Monday/Tuesday. My Abbey-dog is shorter than the snow. She has to use her chest to “shovel” her way out to potty.

Oh, okay… I still feel bad for your snow, it is the worst! :)

Ginny November 14, 2013 at 9:33 am

My best girlfriends were treating me to a birthday lunch, when we ran into a friend having lunch at the same restaurant. At the end of our lunch we discovered that he had paid our check! A huge random act of kindness!

Annie Atherton November 14, 2013 at 10:18 am

When I was in the military, a few times, people would insist on buying my coffee if I was in uniform. Once when I was at Target, a woman really wanted to pay for my whole order, but I told her no thank you. And my order was a HUGE pile of junk food (doritos, mt. dew, candy) for my husband who was going away for a week… so I would have felt really bad having her paying for all of myself!

Unfortunately, sometimes being in uniform created the opposite of “acts of kindess” and I was yelled at, harassed by people and once chased down in a parking lot. Disappointing how some people react to a person just trying to do their job. After the parking lot incident, I started changing out of uniform before going home for the day.

Bethany November 14, 2013 at 11:06 am

My dog, Jameson does the same thing with the dirty dishes.
    I’m going to a 2 day training at Seattle Cancer Care Alliance for patient advocacy. I’m hoping I can use it as a way to give back to a place that helped me beat cancer.

Liz @ www.sweat-happy.com November 14, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Thank you again, Tina, for including the bit about the upcoming CrossFit comp!

Love that “be the good” quote! It’s sometimes hard to remember day to day so it’s refreshing to be reminded. And as always, Murphy’s expressions cracked me up. :)

She Rocks Fitness November 14, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Sending out thank you cards to friends for just being there and for inviting me to functions here in Houston! I love sending sweet thank you notes to remind my friends how much they mean to me and snail mail always brings an instant smile. I’m also planning on donating some clothes and foods this holiday season. :)

Anneli November 15, 2013 at 1:01 am

I’m glad your friend was able to raise money. I read their story and was very moved. True about browning your meat and veg before putting into crockpot (I really need to follow that advice) adds so much more flavour. As for your question about acts of kindness… no, I haven’t done any lately and I feel extremely guilty. I still feel bad because I was short with the young lady at the pizza place on Halloween night. Thanks for the reminder! I really need to make that right! Love your blog!

Kathryn November 15, 2013 at 9:06 am

By far the cutest photos of Murph!!

beth November 21, 2013 at 11:00 am

Any time I am having a bad day I donate to this cause….It always makes my day brighter knowing a child will smile and the gifts are not so expensive that it really is an easy gift for almost anyone to do. http://www.angelwish.org/