• 1st Annual Friendsgiving

November 25, 2013

Our 1st annual Friendsgiving was a huge success!

Our friends Josh and Courtney hosted this year’s event and next year someone else among the group will host. I love the idea of sharing the hosting role—so fun!

The evening started with drinks, apps, and lots of catching up.

040 (600x450)

I ate a ridiculous amount of spinach-artichoke dip. I kept saying I needed to save room for dinner, but I kept eating it anyway. It was SO GOOD!

042 (600x450)

The stuffed mushrooms were also really tasty!

049 (450x600)

The guys!

046 (600x450)

The gals!

051 (600x450)

The table!

041 (600x450)

After a couple of hours, we all sat down for dinner—all 13 of us! (Erin kindly offered to snap this photo, so, sadly, she’s not in it.)

M & T (& J)!

052 (600x450)

Dinner was so delicious and made me even more excited about the real Thanksgiving later this week!

055 (450x600)

054 (600x450)

058 (600x450)

After dinner, we all cleaned up, relaxed, and made room for dessert!

062 (600x450)

OMG, these Oreo-Cheesecake Balls were heavenly… and I ate a million of them.

064 (600x450)

More desserts! I brought my Mom’s Apple Crisp with French vanilla ice cream, and it was a big hit!

065 (600x450)

The evening concluded with a ridiculous game of “Celebrity.” I haven’t laughed so much in months!

066 (600x450)

Before we all said goodbye, we snapped a few more pics.

We really just wanted to get a photo of all the guys in their plaid!

Prom photo on the stairs? You bet!

Questions of the Day

Do you and your friends participate in Friendsgiving?

What Thanksgiving dish(es) are you most looking forward to eating?

Mine: My mom’s pumpkin pie and my mother-in-law’s sweet potatoes with marshmallow. Yummmm!

John Jarvis November 25, 2013 at 4:34 pm

It looks like you all had a great time and ate some really delicious stuff. Those stuffed mushrooms are calling my name… and the spin dip… and the Oreo cheesecake balls. All of it.

Johnny November 25, 2013 at 4:43 pm

I noticed you don’t have a drink ;). I cantbe the only one to comment on it– announcement soon??

Olivia November 25, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Noticed that too! ;)

Molly November 25, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Haha- the plaid! I was out last weekend and literally every guy in the bar was in plaid- you think it’s in this season? Did they plan it?!

I am so excited to eat my favorite combo- turkey, gravy, stuffing and brussels sprouts- all in one bite. I am all about mixing my plate.

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner November 25, 2013 at 8:05 pm

My friends and I have been doing Friendsgiving the last three years. It is so much fun! (Although sometimes we call it Friendsmas). My husband is convinced that he singlehandedly made plaid popular again, so I’m sure he would love this picture.

I can’t wait for my mom’s mushroom and wild rice dressing—yum!

Sarah November 25, 2013 at 8:06 pm

I could use some advice and I think maybe you can speak to my problem. I recently discovered I have a sensitivity to MSG and it is in EVERYTHING. I won’t be able to eat the stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, any casserole… Possibly even the turkey itself depending on how it’s prepared. I don’t have any control over the menu, though I am bringing sweet potatoes so I can eat those.

Thanksgiving used to be my favorite and now I can’t enjoy any of my favorite dishes. I know you went through some time with food sensitivity because of your UC. How did you deal? I don’t want to upset the cooks/hosts, but I can’t trust it without reading the label myself. I feel like my “sensitivity” sounds made up to a lot of people or they just don’t understand. Plus I’m really bummed out. I looooooove stuffing.

Tina November 25, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Honestly, it wasn’t fun. Usually, I’d eat before I went to a party/dinner and then just eat what I could when I was there. If it was a get-together of a family member or close friend, I’d bring my own food. It was annoying and frustrating, but you need to do what’s best for you. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Sarah November 25, 2013 at 9:08 pm

@Tina: Thanks for your advice! I hadn’t thought of eating before I go, that’s a great idea. Maybe I’ll even make myself a special breakfast that morning :)

Livi November 25, 2013 at 11:52 pm

I love friendsgiving :) always so much fun!!

honeywhatscooking November 26, 2013 at 12:26 am

Haven’t done a Friendsgiving yet, I really want to though, so many people travel which is annoying. In our family we do an American-Indian Thanksgiving, so I’m really looking forward to my sister’s Chicken Biryani (an Indian dish), we don’t do turkey since half of the family is vegetarian, but we do all the Thanksgiving sides. Can’t wait for stuffing and the green bean casserole. :-)

Alissa Jo November 26, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Fun!!!!! I love that big black doggie- is it a poodle???

Niki Mosier December 2, 2013 at 11:54 am

Friendsgiving sounds great! We need to do that!
    Stuffing is my favorite….but being GF this year…we did without.