• Weekly Meal Plan & Light and Healthy Chicken Salad Recipe

October 28, 2013

Hi, friends!

I did a huge grocery shopping this week with all sorts of delicious eats! (I’m a poet, and I didn’t even know it!)

Here’s this week’s meal plan:

• Sunday: Out to dinner
    • Monday: Roasted spaghetti squash with meat sauce
    • Tuesday: Lemon chicken and scalloped potatoes (recipe from Runner’s World Cookbook)
    • Wednesday: Leftover lemon chicken with roasted broccoli and rice
    • Thursday: Homemade pizza
    • Friday: Wing it/leftovers
    • Saturday: Out to dinner

Health News & Views

This chicken salad is so delicious, you’d never think it was a “light” recipe, but it has fewer calories and less fat than the traditional, mayo-laden kind. The secret? Swapping non-fat Greek yogurt for the mayonnaise and adding a flavorful, tangy honey mustard. Additionally, diced apples give this chicken salad a sweet flavor boost and sunflower seeds add a little bit of crunch.

Just combine the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Spread the chicken salad between two slices of whole-grain bread or add a big scoop on top of some mixed greens for a quick and easy meal!

A Light and Healthy Chicken Salad Recipe

Paleo Treats Giveaway from Sweet Pea Bakery

Thanks to everyone who entered to win some delicious goodies from Sweet Pea Bakery! Here are your winners:

Tina

Positively paleo sounds awesome!!!!

Katie

The Caramelitas in the Classic Collection look amazeballs! These wouldn’t last more than 1 night in our house!

Tracey

Ohhhh I’m all over the cookie time bundle!

Rebecca

The breakfast bundle sounds like the perfect way to start a chilly fall morning in New England!

Congrats! Please email me at tina@carrotsncake.com with your full name and mailing address to claim your prize.

Questions of the Day

What dinner from your meal plan are you most excited about this week?

What is your favorite chicken salad recipe?

P.S. Today is the last day to get 15% off your order of Nikki’s Coconut Butter with code JERF at checkout!

Jenn @ Fairest Run of All October 28, 2013 at 3:29 pm

I’m generally in favor of ANYTHING that ousts mayo! Yuck. ;)

SarahD October 28, 2013 at 3:38 pm

I ordered my Nikki’s Coconut butter sampler and got it today! I had a spoonful of the vanilla cake batter, and I do not think these will last long at my house!

Tina October 28, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Yay! So glad you like it! Same thing happens in my house! 😉

Becki @ Bites 'n Brews October 28, 2013 at 3:40 pm

I’ve got coconut chicken curry in the slow cooker right now. That with some homemade naan is my dinner plan tonight!

Tina October 28, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Yum! That sounds awesome!

Amy @ The Little Honey Bee October 28, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Love this chicken salad recipe. I prepped some baked falafel yesterday… totally wung it (winged it?) and it turned out great. Love when that happens.

Elizabeth @ Positive Change October 28, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Yummy dinner schedule! I am really excited for making almond meal incrusted tilapia with some roasted broccoli!

Maureen October 28, 2013 at 3:54 pm

My dinner last night {and lunch for today} was pretty rocking! A huge bed of mixed greens topped with grilled chicken, blue cheese, chopped apples and toasted walnuts. I don’t want lunch to end!

Ashley October 28, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Zach’s gone this week so meal planning is kind of out the door. I went to the grocery store today and got some good looking quinoa and chicken though — should be delicious!

ghostfaceknitter October 28, 2013 at 4:01 pm

haha those raspberries would last .5 seconds… would not of even made it into the house. mmmmm dirty car raspberries……

Kelsey October 28, 2013 at 4:05 pm

I’ve tried the chicken salad recipe before and it is incredible! I have never been a mayo person and the apple crunch is definitely a nice addition.
    Kelsey
    floorplanssportsbratans.tumblr.com

Sim @ The Micro Harvest October 28, 2013 at 4:08 pm

I’m super excited for an almond chicken soup – on the menu for Wednesday!

Shel@PeachyPalate October 28, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Angela’s new thai sweet potato peanut burgers just made on to the list of must makes this week!

FitnFifty October 28, 2013 at 4:20 pm

I made warm turkey salad yesterday with Fage greek yogurt swapped out for mayo, walnuts, craisins and swiss cheese, sweet potato biscuits, fresh homemade cranberry sauce with orange and a huge pot of green beans and carrots. A quick modern twist on Thanksgiving. The best part is the leftovers tonight!

Katie @ Live Half Full October 28, 2013 at 4:23 pm

I would love to hear a recap on the Runner’s World cookbook! All the recipes in your recap looked great.

Here’s my meal plan for the week! Lots of new veggie recipes.

sara @ fitcupcaker October 28, 2013 at 4:46 pm

yum to that chicken salad, so easy yet so filling im sure. I pack my lunch for work and I might just make this tomorrow!

Missy October 28, 2013 at 4:55 pm

I am most excited for squash! I had squash for the first time last fall so I have been obsessed with it this year :) Spaghetti squash, acorn squash, butternut squash (having that tonight!). YUM!

Gina October 28, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I LOVE spaghetti squash…I like to make it with a bison ragu. But, this week, I am excited to make naked breakfast burritos for dinner: ground turkey or chicken, taco seasoning, cubed sweet potato, and eggs!

Jackie October 28, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Can’t wait to try the recipe!

Christine October 28, 2013 at 5:12 pm

My mom makes amazing chicken salad, loaded with mayonnaise and all of that bad but oh so good stuff. :-) I like to make my chicken salad with any kind of baked chicken, Greek yogurt, a few cranberries (grapes or raisins work too), and almonds (they make almonds with a kind of garlic seasoning and it is the BOMB in chicken salad). We’re making Thanksgiving sandwiches tonight! Turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing, and gravy on a ciabatta roll. :-)

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance October 28, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Oh I have a bunch of things I am excited about to make this week. I’ve been scoping out blogger recipes so I’m sure they’ll be good!

Jodea @ chillichocolatelove.com October 28, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Looks like your chicken salad could become my new favourite! Currently it’s a chicken, avocado and mango salad from Iowa Girl Eats. I’m looking forward to prawn laksa on Thursday and then a classic rib eye steak on Friday to end the week. We had a great cod wrapped in bacon dish this evening. A good week all round!

Nemesia October 28, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Love your Light and Healthy Chicken Salad Recipe! Definitely going to try making that this week. I am a fan of your blog and love your recipes and workouts! My boyfriend and I started our own Fitness company Reign Fitness & Performance and launched our blog recently. Would love for you to check it out and give any pointers or comments. Thanks for all you do! I’ll be continuing to read!

-Nemesia

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats October 28, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Looks like a great week of meal planning. I need to make spaghetti squash again it has been too long.

This week I’ve already made meatloaf and am making my Cabbage Pancakes as well as an egg baked sweet potato!

Kim October 28, 2013 at 9:40 pm

I love the meal planning at the beggining of the post! We like to plan our meals as well but thought to share a link to our favorite chicken salad http://www.purplegoo.ca/index.php/big-honey-garlic-chicken-salad/ This was back in sunnier weather, looks like a storm tonite, but we still eat good and so do you folks by the look of it! Cheers!

She Rocks Fitness October 28, 2013 at 9:55 pm

I’m thinking of making cranberry, goat cheese, and rotisserie chicken sandwich tomorrow night. Weirdly craving those Thanksgiving flavors and I’ve got them all in my fridge, so why not make it happen. :)

Luv What You Do October 28, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Do you like the Runner’s world cookbook? I was just checking it out on Amazon!

Tina October 29, 2013 at 7:27 am

Yep! It’s great! 😄

Annie @ herightfit.com October 28, 2013 at 10:56 pm

I made spaghetti squash this week too. I’m using it as a base for a venison chili I made this sunday.

Maria October 28, 2013 at 11:26 pm

I started subbing greek yogurt for mayo in chicken and tuna salad a few years ago! I LOVE It! I’m looking forward to making shrimp in coconut oil, veggies, tomato sauce and brown rice pasta this week!

Christie Anderson October 29, 2013 at 1:34 am

Wow, this recipe looks amazing. I just discovered your blog and love it! Thanks for sharing!
    kissesandkale.blogspot.com

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner October 29, 2013 at 8:58 am

I’m making BLTs with the last heirloom tomato from the farmer’s market and uncured bacon from the local co-op. I’m excited!

Livi October 29, 2013 at 11:36 am

meal planning is so key to good food and good budget!!

Amanda @ The Engineering Foodie October 29, 2013 at 12:02 pm

My boyfriend is cooking his signature lentils and vegetables for dinner this week and we’re also making our second attempt at cauliflower pizza crust! Meal planning is awesome! It makes grocery shopping for the week so much easier and gives you lots of meals to look forward to :)

Cassie October 29, 2013 at 4:30 pm

I was really excited to make butternut squash macaroni and cheese… so yummy. Also need to make chicken soup – hopefully I’ll get to that tonight!