• Weekend in Newport {Part 2}

October 8, 2013

Good morning, friends!

On Sunday, it rained all morning and afternoon, so our second day in Newport was pretty low-key.

Breakfast

Mal and I woke up starving for breakfast (I actually woke up at 3 AM and ate a container of yogurt because I was so hungry), so we headed out to Gary’s Handy Lunch for breakfast. We felt kind of bad going to breakfast without Mal’s parents, but they were still sleeping and we didn’t want to wake them. Thankfully, they didn’t mind at all (and appreciated the extra sleep), and they actually ended up going to Gary’s for breakfast since we raved about it so much.

photo (54)

Gary’s was great. It reminded me a lot of the Wheelhouse Diner back home with the open kitchen, counter service, and super friendly waitstaff. The menu and affordable prices were similar too.

gary's diner

For breakfast, I ordered scrambled eggs with bacon and homefries, which I covered in hot sauce and ketchup. DELISH!

photo (51)

After breakfast, Mal and I stopped by Mokka Coffeehouse to buy some coffees for ourselves and Mal’s parents.

mokka coffeehouse

I went with an iced decaf coconut almond milk latte, which was excellent—sweet, but not too sweet. I hate it when baristas go nuts with the syrup, but this iced latte was perfect.

Mal and I spent the rest of the morning catching up with work—him grading papers, me blogging and responding to emails.

photo (49)

Lunch

A little while later, the four of us headed to Mudville Pub to watch the Patriots game—another annual Haupert tradition.

photo (48)

photo (43)

I half watched the game, half tried to figure out Rebus puzzles on coasters. I must have figured out about 15 different ones, but my mother-in-law is wicked smart and solved all of the hard ones that I got stuck on.

photo (45)

While at Mudville, I chowed down on some loaded baked potatoes. I had a major craving for cheese and potatoes… and bacon (always).

photo (46)

Workout

On the walk home after the Pats game, Mal and I stopped by the arcade for a playtime.

photo (23)

We played a few games of Skeeball and “Hoop Fever.” So fun!

arcade_games_in_Newport

Mal killed me at Skeeball as seen by his excessive celebration with his tickets.

photo (39)

photo (38)

Look at my little stub of tickets… pathetic.

photo (37)

I ended up beating Mal at “Hoop Fever,” so I was happy to have those bragging rights. Haha!

photo (24)

Neither of us had been to an arcade in awhile, so Mal and I were surprised to see that this one was all electronic now with a card system where you use your credit card to pay for plays. No more quarters!

photo (29)

It’s definitely a great system—I’m sure it makes people spend lots of money—but it kind of made me a little sad too. For some reason, the thought of a pocked full of quarters as a little kid is a special memory for me. I still remember my grandmother on my dad’s side giving my sister and me an entire roll of quarters for the arcade and it was the best day of our lives! There’s just something about having quarters. I dunno. I guess it’s not the same with a card.

photo (41)

After some fun at the arcade, we headed back to the condo and had a relaxing evening.

fireplace at the Wellington

Dinner

My mother-in-law made a lasagna (she prepared it at home and then brought it down to Newport), so we reheated it for dinner.

photo (3)

Then, we spent the rest of the night chatting, watching TV, and playing more Candy Crush (since we’re all addicted).

photo (1)

All in all, it was a fabulous weekend in Newport! It’s still my favorite weekend of the year!

When was the last time you played games at an arcade? What’s your favorite arcade game?

P.S. For the Breaking Bad and pug lovers: Heisenpug aka Walter White from Breaking Bad.

Heather @fitncookies October 8, 2013 at 7:57 am

I love that you guys went to an arcade! I am a little sad to see there are no more quarters. That’s the best part! At least they still have tickets- I could see them moving to an electronic ticket system, too. What a beautiful and fun weekend you had, minus the rain! I am jealous of it!

Becky @ Olives n Wine October 8, 2013 at 7:57 am

I remember LOVING arcades as a kid! The last one I went to was in San Fran – the antique one and it was so much fun looking at all of the old games!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh October 8, 2013 at 8:00 am

Skeeball is my favorite! I don’t need any other game. Then when we’re done and have a big mess of tickets, we scope the arcade for a well behaved kid and give them to them so they can get something they want.

sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com October 8, 2013 at 8:09 am

I LOVE skeeball! totally the best part about going to an arcade!

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat October 8, 2013 at 8:10 am

hehehe…love your workout! My husband loves arcades. We always go to them when we go to the Jersey shore. He enjoys playing the different video games the most.

Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog October 8, 2013 at 8:12 am

The last time I played games at the arcade was when my BF took me for my first visit to the Jersey Shore. My favorite games are the basketball games.

When I was in Newport, it rained a lot too. I felt bad because it was my best friend’s wedding. Luckily her husband is from Ireland so it turned out to just be an Irish wedding :-)

Elizabeth @ Positive Change October 8, 2013 at 8:18 am

I love arcades! My husband and I love to go to our local arcade! Cheesy yes, but super fun!

Jackie October 8, 2013 at 8:38 am

My boyfriend loves arcades. I miss the quarters that credit card game makes me sad!

Alex @ Kenzie Life October 8, 2013 at 9:05 am

Oddly enough, I just went to a Dave and Buster’s arcade this past Friday! It had been years since I’d last been there but it was my sister’s birthday and she wanted to go. My favorite game there is the one where you try and make as many baskets with the basketballs as you can :)

Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food October 8, 2013 at 9:15 am

That sounds like such a great day! I haven’t played arcade games in a while, but I love pinball. I also really love those touch-screen games they have at bars where you can play cards and stuff.

Corrie Anne October 8, 2013 at 9:18 am

What a fun little date afternoon!! I haven’t been in an arcade in forever!! That IS a little sad about the quarters!!!!

Nicole October 8, 2013 at 9:28 am

Looks like a fun weekend. I’ve never been much of a gamer – I guess my equivalent would be bowling. Haven’t gone in ages but would love to get back into it!

Katherine October 8, 2013 at 9:34 am

looks like so much fun!! love the arcade games :)

Jenny October 8, 2013 at 9:37 am

I can’t even REMEMBER the last time I was in an arcade!! But I suck at skeeball too. With that being said– I think there’s MUCH more bragging rights for beating him at hoops. ;-)

Lisa October 8, 2013 at 9:51 am

Oh man, arcades so bring back those old times as a kid when we would always go there.
    So long ago now.
    I can’t even remember the last time I went though, must have been when I was 9 or so.

Amy @ The Little Honey Bee October 8, 2013 at 10:00 am

Yes for beating Mal at Hoop Fever! Baller status :) bball games are my favorite because I’m good at them and a weee bit competitive haha

Samantha @ 10,000 Squats October 8, 2013 at 10:00 am

LOL at Heisenpug! That’s the cutest. Sounds like you guys had a really fantastic weekend! I just got back from a cool 10 day vacation myself so I know how relaxed you must feel after that. :) Boy is it ever hard to keep up with a workout plan when also trying to relax. My bf wanted to go in and play arcade games all over the place but you’re right, it’s not the same without quarters. And those cards can be a rip off sometimes!

Alexandra Madar October 8, 2013 at 10:07 am

Love that you still take pictures even when you go on a little getaway :) Sounds like you had a lot of fun!! :)

Sim @ The Micro Harvest October 8, 2013 at 10:07 am

The arcade looks like a blast! We just got a “barcade” in Columbus – it is such a fun place! All old-school arcade games + adult beverages – a winning combo.

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape October 8, 2013 at 10:25 am

David and I went to the arcade on Brighton pier when we were on holiday recently- so many childhood memories! We spent ages on the 2 pence machines- where you put the coin in the slots to try and push more forward. Very addictive! We only allowed ourselves to spend £1 each but that’s a lot of 2 pence’s!

Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit October 8, 2013 at 10:31 am

That looks like such a perfect weekend – laid back time with family plus some productivity and fun – what more could you ask for?! I immediately had the same thought about the credit card vs. token machine. There’s something about sticking quarters or tokens in that makes it more fun!

Sara @ fitcupcaker October 8, 2013 at 10:58 am

heisenpug=brilliant! He looks exactly like walt lol!!!

Alaina October 8, 2013 at 11:19 am

Have you heard about the Pell Bridge run in Newport in the middle of November? It’s an early morning (6:30!), 4 mile race that goes over the Pell Bridge and this year it ends at the Newport Yacht club, with Newport Storm as a sponsor! Such a fun race, and now this post is making me want to spend even more time in Newport after the race. :-)

Tina October 8, 2013 at 11:23 am

Sounds like a fun one!!

stephanie @ healthy, happy stephanie October 8, 2013 at 11:31 am

I haven’t been it an arcade in forevvvvver but I used to love the grabber/claw machines.

Annette@FitnessPerks October 8, 2013 at 11:33 am

I love skeeball! I’m not good at it, but I think it’s so fun!

Mmmm loaded baked potatoes with cheese & sour cream sounds awesome. Yummers :)

Livi October 8, 2013 at 11:52 am

Last year my boy and I went to an arcade for a fun date- it was awesome! Reminded me of all my childhood excitement being in an arcade, and I was still just as excited when I got those tickets ha!

Britta October 8, 2013 at 12:43 pm

I feel like such an idiot…I can’t figure out ANY of the three puzzles pictured here.
    :( Boo.

Wendy@ All Kinds Miles October 8, 2013 at 12:48 pm

That iced latte sounds fab! I wish Starbucks and bigger chains would carry coconut milk for their lattes!

Amy @ crazysweatymommy October 8, 2013 at 1:47 pm

My daughter has SkeeBall on her IPad and I play it all the time :)

Ashley October 8, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Oh my gosh skiball! That’s so wild I hadn’t seen it in probably 10 years, but saw it at a bar this weekend as well! I was UBER excited!

Sammy @ Peace Love and Ice Cream October 8, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Aren’t vacation diner breakfasts the best?? It’s like they taste better because you’re on vacation or something! lol We haven’t been to an arcade in a while, but I love skee-ball, and I’m pretty good at it (I think!). That iced coffee that you got sounds yum…and looks right up your alley! :)
    -Sammy @ http://www.peaceandloveandicecream.com

Daisy October 8, 2013 at 2:27 pm

I think I’m going to use your Newport posts as a trip guide for my next visit!!!!! Great posts!!!

Anna @ Fitness à la Anna October 8, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Oh my gosh, I was just hit with a serious wave of nostalgia…I want to go to an arcade ASAP! Looks like you had fun :)

Tempie @ The Texas Peach October 8, 2013 at 3:44 pm

It’s been about a year since I went to an arcade with my niece/nephews. I agree with you about the electronic card thing. It’s just not the same as putting quarters or tokens into the little slot.

Laura October 8, 2013 at 3:57 pm

But wait…where’s the humungous muffin you always get??

Lauren @ Peaks and Passports October 8, 2013 at 4:48 pm

It’s been way too long since I’ve been to an arcade and that looks like a blast! Skeeball is definitely my favorite game – my skill level is probably closer to yours than Mal’s :)

Erin October 8, 2013 at 7:22 pm

do you remember the answers to those puzzles you took the picture of?! I showed a friend them too and we are struggling and have parts of them but not all of any!

Tina October 9, 2013 at 6:40 am

Yep! Here are the answers:

Clam cakes & chowder
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Rock & roll music

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope October 9, 2013 at 4:45 am

What a cute city! It’s been a while since I’ve been to an arcade, but it’s always fun ;)

Christina (Sisters Running the kitchen) October 10, 2013 at 6:35 am

I was in newport this weekend too. My boyfriend is training at the naval base for 5 weeks (he works for the navy as a physician assistant). I havent been to newport since I was a kid. its so gorgeous. we actually did the same thing as mal’s parents and rented bikes and took them around town to ocean drive and the mansions, it was so much fun and such pretty views…you should do it next time you go!

Amy December 23, 2013 at 1:21 am

Gary’s is owned by my family! Glad you enjoyed your meal! :)