• This Week’s Meal Plan {Cook Smarts}

October 6, 2013

Hi, friends! Happy Sunday!

I was recently contacted by the founder of Cook Smarts about trying her online meal planning service. You guys know how much I love meal planning, so I was all about giving it a whirl.

What is Cook Smarts all about? Well, it basically helps you cook more efficiently. Each week, Cook Smarts posts four healthy recipes along with a grocery list, easy-to-follow steps, and even how-to videos. All of the recipes are simple and customizable for Paleo, vegetarian, and gluten-free diets. Sounds cool, right? I’ll report back once I’ve had a chance to test it out!

Week of 10/07/13Week of 10/07/13
    Week of 10/07/13Week of 10/07/13

Here’s this week’s meal plan:

• Sunday: Out to dinner
    • Monday: Pepper Steak Stir Fry (Cook Smarts)
    • Tuesday: Pineapple and Cashew Curried Fried Rice with ground chicken (Cook Smarts)
    • Wednesday: Chorizo Breakfast Tacos with Roasted Potatoes (Cook Smarts)
    • Thursday: Potato and Chorizo Dobladas
    • Friday: Wedding
    • Saturday: Wedding

Questions of the Day

Have you ever used an online meal planning service?

How do you come up with your meal plans? What’s the method to your madness?

Allison October 6, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I just signed up for cook smarts after seeing it on Kath’s blog! I’m excited to try it this week – I’ll be making the same meals as you!

Tina October 6, 2013 at 12:32 pm

How do you like it so far?

Allison October 6, 2013 at 12:45 pm

I’ve been enjoying it – it is nice that you use similar ingredients over a few meals so that’ you don’t have to buy too many special ingredients – that what was always challenging for me with meal planning from Pinterest or my cookbooks – because I would end up spending so much money on a lot different ingredients. I also like that she uses a variety of protein sources and that you can easily make things vegetarian

Tina October 6, 2013 at 12:52 pm

That’s good to hear! I’m excited to try it!

Jackie October 6, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Sounds like a cool service!

Nikki @ grab your kicks October 6, 2013 at 12:34 pm

I could probably benefit from a meal planning service because I tend to not meal plan. Then during the week we’re scrambling to find something to eat. I think I need to start with simply meal planning on my own; setting aside time each week to write it out. I just haven’t gotten myself to do that yet!

Ashley October 6, 2013 at 1:39 pm

I have only done co-op boxes, and currently we are doing NatureBox that we got as a wedding gift and absolutely LOVE it. But this looks great too, the breakfast tacos sound amazing!

Amy @ The Little Honey Bee October 6, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Sounds super interesting! I’m looking forward to hearing how you like it. My meal plan is based on my workout/work/social schedule. Easy meals on busy nights, pancakes for late night basketball games… the best bball fuel :) happy Sunday!

mannythehealthnut October 6, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Sounds good, but with so many good cooking shows on these days we have a large list of interesting recipes waiting on the PVR already…
    So much to cook and so little time!

Luv What You Do October 6, 2013 at 2:57 pm

I usually plan my recipes based on how much time i know I’ll have that day. Late nights call for make ahead dinners or help from my boyfriend. Recently, I’ve been trying to do extra work on the weekends to have healthy meals during the week.

Livi October 6, 2013 at 3:35 pm

ah- I always say I’ll plan for the week but never do…maybe I’ll try an online service to help me out!

Katie @ Live Half Full October 6, 2013 at 5:29 pm

I start my meal planning by checking what I have on hand, then I check the sale ads and our schedule for the week and lay out the week’s plan! I always make a few things on Sunday too.

Here’s my plan for the week!

Tina October 6, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Nice!! 👍

Katie @ Live Half Full October 8, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Thanks, Tina!

Alexandra Madar October 6, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Amazing meal plan! Thank’s for sharing :)

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats October 6, 2013 at 8:30 pm

I have a number of recipes I have on rotation that I cook. As I try new recipes out I add to the list. Some weeks I plan whole meals other times I just prep ingredients and then make up meals on the fly based on what I’ve prepped.

I also usually always have meals frozen for the days I don’t want to cook :)

Tara | Treble in the Kitchen October 6, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Looks like a great plan for the week! I’ll be interested to hear how the meal planning service works…sounds like it could be a good thing to use to help out during busy times…or when meal inspiration is lacking :)

She Rocks Fitness October 6, 2013 at 9:13 pm

I have never used a meal planning service. I honestly have no method to my meal planning. It depends on what I am feeling the day I wake up. I usually always know though what I want for breakfast the night before, because well breakfast always involves nut butter. HA!

Danica @ It's Progression October 6, 2013 at 9:23 pm

I love Cook Smarts! I took part in her #whatsyourmpa campaign last month – so great!

Liz October 6, 2013 at 9:36 pm

I hope you’ll get to share the breakfast tacos recipe! I love breakfast tacos and always get them when I’m at my favorite brunch spot.

I’ve never done a meal planning service. I’m single and am content eating the same thing for a few meals, so I’m not sure it would be practical for me. I usually try to pull a few recipes I’ve seen in cookbooks or blogs and then make a menu.

Sammy @ Peace Love and Ice Cream October 6, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Seems like it could be very helpful! Let us know! :)
    PS: I want to come for dinner Tuesday – YUM! ;)
    -Sammy @ peaceandloveandicecream.blogspot.com

padma October 6, 2013 at 10:40 pm

I’m so bad at meal planning. I just figure out what I’m going to make the night of based on how much time I’ve spent to cook, and what I have in the fridge, and what I need to get rid of fast. I love to cook, so it’s fun to throw things together and see what happens. It’s a much needed break from the chaotic days!

Annie @ herightfit.com October 6, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Honestly my meal planning is making a HUGE pot of something on Sunday so that I know have I meals for the week. I love doing pulled pork or shredded chicken. I also keep it simple and hardboil eggs on Sunday and make a simple salad topped with an egg for lunches.

Caroline @ Adventures in Living Lean October 7, 2013 at 8:50 am

I typically plan my meals around what meats and produce are at a great price in the weekly ad for Publix. I make two big meals each week so that I have leftovers, and fill in the gaps with salads, sandwiches, and the occasional frozen dinner.

val October 7, 2013 at 9:40 am

I am a mad meal planner. I have 2 kids under 4 and work full time so once I get home at night they want my full attention, dinner needs to take less than 15 minutes. I plan my meal the Friday before the new week and make my grocery list from that. I go grocery shopping that night (I know spending Friday night at the store…jealous right;-)) anyway Im in and out in under 20 minutes bc the store is empty. My meal planning is simple, healthy nutritious meals that fit my need for yummy comforting foods and exposing my kids to new foods each week without serving them something that I know they wont eat. All my vegatable chopping is done ove the weekend as well as anything that can be cooked ahead of time. – sorry for the novel:-)

Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog October 7, 2013 at 10:25 am

That sounds like an interesting service. I’ll have to check it out.

I have NO method these days because our weekends and weeks are so irregualr. When I first moved in with the BF, I would make little menus every week and try to stick to them. That lasted about a month.

A service like this would be very helpful to us!

Ray October 7, 2013 at 10:26 am

Meal planning can be difficult, you need to match it to your body type and your exercise regime.

Taylor @ Single-tracked Mind October 7, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Never used online meal planning. It sounds a little too rigid for me!

Samantha @ 10,000 Squats October 8, 2013 at 10:14 am

Wow cook smarts sounds pretty useful! I’ll check it out based on those four delicious pictures alone. Mmmmm! When we got back from our trip I started working on a big pot of chilli and another big pot of soup so we have lunches and dinners all week. Just gotta keep planning!

Cass October 10, 2013 at 12:51 am

I have looked at Cook Smarts but never been sure. Look forward to hearing how it goes.