• The Best Money I Ever Spent

October 30, 2013

Hi, guys! Good morning and happy Hump Day! (Uh-oh! Guess what day it is!?)

Breakfast

I’m back on the oatmeal train, and it’s as delicious as I remember!

In the mix: rolled oats, almond milk, chia seeds, a handful of trail mix, a huge scoop of peanut butter, and fresh raspberries on top. YUM!

The other day, I joked to Mal that Murphy is worth every single cent. That little furball has made me (and a lot of other people) so, so, so happy over the years, so I consider him some of the best money I have ever spent. (I have actually said I would pay 10 times as much for him. Mal thinks this is absolutely crazy, and we often debate whether a dog is worth that kind of money. Obviously, I think so.)

pug smile

Anyway, here are some other things that I consider money well spent (not including serious things like a college education, a down payment on our house, healthcare, etc.):

CrossFit

C’mon, you guys knew it was coming!  ;-)

I know I’ve said this a zillion times on CNC, but CrossFit has been a life-changing experience for me, and it has positively changed my life in so many ways. I always tell the owners of my box to just keep charging my credit card for my membership. It’s worth every penny for my health and happiness, and I don’t care how much it costs.

CF Open 13.2 (640x429)

Red Carpet Professional LED Light

I use this thing ALL the time, and, every time I finish my nails, I packed it up and say to Mal: “Best money I’ve ever spent.” (Mal really doesn’t care, but I just feel the need to tell someone.) I get a professional-looking manicure in just 25 minutes (no need to leave the house) and it lasts a solid week (probably longer if I didn’t destroy it at CrossFit).

Red_Carpet_Manicure_

Canon PowerShot S95

I love this camera so, so, so much. I snap photos everyday, all day long, for my job, so it’s worth every penny spent. It’s an amazing camera and so easy to use. I even got a bunch of my blogger friends hooked on it too! Best camera ever.

2012-02-22_1700

Our mattress

I still remember the day when Mal decided that we needed a new mattress. I thought the one we had was fine until I started testing fancy, pillow-top mattresses at the mattress store. Wow, they were comfy. I also still remember having a heart attack when I saw the price of a fancy, pillow-top mattress, but I trusted Mal and agreed to buy a new one. Long story short, our mattress was worth every cent. I sleep so well, and I think our bed is the comfiest one I have ever slept in.

It's Murphy's bed; we're just sleeping in it.

Chipotle Halloween Special

Heard this on Ellen the other day and just wanted to share! (I’m pretty sure I will be wearing a banana costume and eating a burrito at Chipotle tomorrow night.)

Chipotle is offering up $3 menu items on Halloween!

chipotle-boorito

To get your $3 item, just come dressed up in a costume between 4 PM and closing. $3 items include: Burrito, Bowl, Salad or an order of Tacos. All proceeds up to $1,000,000 will benefit the Chipotle Cultivate Foundation.

What’s the best money you’ve ever spent?

P.S. Check out my interview on The Micro Harvest: TINA FROM CARROTS ‘N’ CAKE SHARES HOW CROSSFIT CHANGED EVERYTHING!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 30, 2013 at 2:17 pm

So cute! The money that I spend on my health (good, clean food, the gym and natural supplements) are worth every penny. I also think every penny spent on races are well worth it. I’ve run one race every month so far this year and it definitely adds up but it’s fun and something that I look forward to, so it’s worth it in my book!

Taylor @ Single-tracked Mind October 30, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Best money I ever spent is every deep tissue/sports massage I get. Well worth the dough!

Tina October 30, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Totally agree!!!

Lisa October 30, 2013 at 2:57 pm

I would say the best money I’ve spent was on my Shih Tzu. Even though he can be a pain in the butt at times and is super spoiled, I would not trade him for anything in the world. He is totally like a child to me and my husband. :-)

Jessica w October 30, 2013 at 3:00 pm

I totally agree, having paid for my own gel stuff, I LOVE IT. Also, we don’t do cross fit,but we are totally fine with paying more money to have workout equipment or other things for our health.

Sara October 30, 2013 at 3:10 pm

My dog was $15 from the pound so yea I guess she was worth it ;). She’s the best

Bay October 30, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Oh geez, so many things! Like you, I’ll leave out my education (though it’s right up there) and mortgage:

> My pets: Grimby (Boston Terrier) and cats, Maui & Hermes. I love those fur-kids.
    > Travel: Seeing the world is worth every penny. Visiting France with my favourite people was nothing short of amazing. Memories for a lifetime (or until or next big trip in 3.5 years).
    > Gifts that make other people really happy. I can’t spill the beans, but I’m working on something for someone special right now…
    > Shoes: I love shoes and I really love really good shoes. Fryes & Blochs are top of list…

Tina October 30, 2013 at 3:20 pm

I love your mention of special gifts for other people! 😄

Shelly October 30, 2013 at 3:30 pm

What a wonderfully thought provoking question! It sent me right away to the most expensive things I’ve spent money on. I guess right now I’d have to say vacations. They are expensive, but so darn worth it!

Eating 4 Balance October 30, 2013 at 4:41 pm

I think my iPod and then laptop were the two best things that I ever spent money on. For the iPod that saved me days of boredom and was so amazing for reading books. I didn’t actually listen to music on it that much… Haha. And as for my laptop? Well, that one is kind of obvious!

I would have to say that although I didn’t spend the money personally, I think my family’s current inside dog Lilly is one of the best things we ever bought as well. At the time I was kind of scared of dogs in general from getting a dog bite and having to have surgery. Lilly was a godsend and has brought nothing but happiness to me :)

Sarah (Shh...Fit Happens) October 30, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Haha, that is a funny sight to think.. a bunch of ppl dressed up eating Chipotle. Best money I ever spent….hmm, probably something for a good cause maybe, like FashionABLE or NOONday, I love their stuff!

Renee October 30, 2013 at 5:05 pm

I’m the same way with oatmeal! I forget about it for awhile, and then when I start having it again, I remember how much I LOVE it haha

Corrie Anne October 30, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Oh man. I would definitely choose CrossFit and my dogs too. And maybe my pink bike!

Katie October 30, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Without a doubt my dog Bella!!

Beth @ dietitianduo October 30, 2013 at 8:15 pm

I always say that our 2 yorkie poos are worth a every penny and have gone as far as to say they’re worth a million bucks! Love, love, love their little faces! :)

Caroline @ Broccoli Hut October 30, 2013 at 9:01 pm

I have to agree on the dog front–Margot was worth every penny I paid for her!
    Moving was probably the biggest expense I’ve ever had, and it was definitely a good investment :)

Maria October 30, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Omg my samoyed Rocky was worth every. single. cent. Dogs are just priceless. P.S. I’m back on the oatmeal train also! Don’t know why I ever fell off…all this mindless carb-phobia going around I guess.

Moss October 31, 2013 at 12:16 am

I definitely couldn’t imagine life without our two pups, Miles and Otis. Not only worth the money, but there is no amount I could be paid to give them up. On a more practical note, having a Vitamix has been a game changer in our house, where at least six protein shakes get made every day. Well worth the money spent!

Cassie October 31, 2013 at 2:36 pm

The best money I’ve ever spent… would be my new MacBook Pro that arrived today (I was without a computer for 6+ months!), my Cannon G15, and my Vitamix (Well… my dad bought that one!)

Tracey October 31, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Absolutely agree that pups are the best thing money can buy. That joy is priceless!!

Niki Mosier November 1, 2013 at 12:31 pm

My gym membership…best money spent. Nothing like feeling guilty for paying for something and not using it…so off I go each day!

Jen November 1, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Tina,
    First, gotta say, I love your blog. You pup is literally the most adorable thing I have ever seen (i totally loved your post of murphy in halloween costumes!). I would say my Vitamix is at the top of my list. And I just started CrossFit, so I have a feeling that will end up at the top of my list soon too!

Tina November 1, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Aww, thanks for the sweet comment! 😄 So glad you’re loving CF!

Monica November 3, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Hey Tina! My husband and I actually just went shopping for a new mattress today. I am overwhelmed by the different types and the varieties out there…and a little nervous about making the purchase but my hubby seems to think our sleep quality would majorly benefit. Do you mind if I ask you what type of mattress you guys have?

sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com November 3, 2013 at 9:09 pm

my leather jacket i got in Italy-i almost didn’t purchase it because it was a bit of a splurge, but years later, it still is in fantastic condition and will never go out of style.