• I Bet You Didn’t Know VII

October 22, 2013

Good morning! Happy Tuesday!

Breakfast

I brought back an oldie but goodie for breakfast this morning: French Toast Breakfast Scramble! Remember this one? It’s been awhile, huh?

Well, it was so delicious, I ate two servings of it. Mal bought a bunch of small bananas this week, so after I cooked and ate my first batch, I went back for a second serving. I highly recommend big bananas for this recipe. They just work better and add a delicious sweetness to the meal. Mmm! I missed this breakfast!

It’s been awhile since I wrote a “I Bet You Didn’t Know” post, so here’s another one to add to the collection!

I bet you didn’t know…

I can’t decide how I feel about our first dance song at our wedding. Obviously, Mal and I wanted a special song for our first dance, but we took the “special” thing a little too far. We ended up picking a wonderful song by a local singer-song writer that, at the time, we really loved, but nowadays we never hear it on the radio or at weddings, so we never have that aww, this was our first dance song moment. Our music tastes have also changed quite a bit over the years, so we don’t listen to the artist’s music much anymore. Sometimes I wish we picked another song, but sometimes I don’t.

876 (426x640)

When I’m laying in bed with my mind racing like crazy, and I can’t fall asleep, I think about pink elephants. Focusing on pink elephants (cartoon ones like the image below) and not allowing my brain to think about anything else calms my mind, so I’m able to fall asleep. If something else sneaks in—a worry, another To Do list item—I immediately shift my thoughts to pink elephants. I know it sounds weird, but it works every time!

pink elephant

[source]

Hurt people hurt people. This quote has really changed my thinking about unnecessary negativity and cruelty in the world. I dunno. Maybe it just helps me understand the motivation behind it better. I used to get mad and upset by terrible things that I experienced (I still don’t think it’s right), but now I have a little bit of empathy for people who intentionally hurt others.

Hurt_people_hurt_people._

I know every single word to Extreme’s “More Than Words” and it’s one of my favorite songs to sing. When I hear it, I always belt it out like a total goober.

325391116_640

I’d never get another dog while we have Murphy. Over the years, Mal and I have talked about getting Murphy a buddy, but now that we’ve had him for 4.5 years, I don’t think we could. The new dog would always be the “other dog,” and I’m not sure how much Murphy would like it. He loves having ALL of our attention.

CrossFit FAQ Video with Sarah Fit

Here is the second CrossFit video that I made with Sarah. Again, Murphy makes a couple of cameos, and I’m weird and awkward.

Questions of the Day

What song do you know all of the words to?

If you’re married, what’s your first dance song?

What do you do when you can’t sleep?

P.S. If you are thinking about signing up for Cook Smarts, you can save $5 off their quarterly or annual subscriptions with discount code CNC1013. (The code expires on 11/4.)

Cassie October 22, 2013 at 1:53 pm

When I can’t sleep I count backwards from 100. I told my friends once and they told me they are always going to think about that when they see me sleeping on a plane, train, car, etc.!

Beckie October 22, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Don’t feel bad about picking your first dance song. I just got married in August and I told my husband that it was his job to decide on the song. We danced to “I Cross My Heart” by All-4-One. I know that we’ll never hear it on the radio, but my husband made a CD of songs from our wedding and I keep the CD in my car, so I can listen to it whenever.

Christina October 22, 2013 at 2:03 pm

We did the same thing with our first song. I just did not want it to be something trendy or annoying and sort of classic but modern and not one that was cheesy classic so we went to the Borders (because at the time there was a Borders and you could listen to the music before you bought it) and we started to look around. I found this song that I loved and made him listen to it. It was upbeat and it had a sweet sentiment to it and it fit the criteria that I mentioned. Any who, we settled on Diana Krall’s version of Let’s Fall in Love. Modern classic with a fresh face. Of course, we never hear it and while I love a variety of music styles jazz hardly ever works its way into our lives unless I am listening to NPR (frequently) and even then this is not the song they would pick to play on NPR. I still love the song and the lyrics and I have the CD (I KNOW) and the song is in our iTunes library so I can listen to it whenever I like.

I get up to read when I cannot sleep. Reading makes me sleepy?!

emily October 22, 2013 at 2:11 pm

The elephant thing made me laugh; whenever I try to clear my head (like, for example, as a kid I was obsessed with what I would be thinking about if someone were to read my mind) I always picture pink hippos!

Barbara October 22, 2013 at 2:13 pm

What was your first dance song? Im picking mine now, and i have been actually thinking that having a song that isnt mainstream is the way to go. You dont hear it on the radio, but you also dont get sick of hearing it.

eliza October 22, 2013 at 2:40 pm

I wanted “tupelo honey” by Van morrison and my hubby (fiance at the time) wanted “sweet thing” by Van .. I obviously got the last say but in a fit of pre-wedding jitters told him to put sweet thing on the play list .. oops! Any song by Van is a good one though, so not a big deal

Taylor @ Single-tracked Mind October 22, 2013 at 2:49 pm

When I can’t sleep I try to slow down my thoughts. My mind is usually racing! Love that your first song is so random. At least it’s unique?

Shel@PeachyPalate October 22, 2013 at 2:53 pm

I try and picture black, just black space to zone out! I also try and count but it doesn’t always work! I know all the words to a fair few Boyzone, Westlife and Backstreet Boys songs…from my boyband crazy days!

Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life October 22, 2013 at 3:00 pm

When I can’t sleep, I always think about how I can’t sleep and eventually I wake up. Haha! ;)

Alexandra October 22, 2013 at 3:29 pm

I also picked a song thats not super common “Hold you in my arms” by Ray Lamontagne, sometimes I do wish I picked something that I would hear a bit more often but i was so nervous of getting sick of a song if it was more popular, so i guess they have their plus and minuses. I like your pink elephant idea, ill have to try it. I usually try to think of something in the future that would make me happy (and no stress), such as kicking butt at a wod or taking a vacation, sometimes if I am really lucky my thoughts will turn into an actual dream once I fall asleep. Sometimes I also think about cute things my cat has done.

Megan October 22, 2013 at 3:43 pm

We just got married earlier this month and had a 1920s themed wedding so we wanted to pick a song that fit that… I think our song was fun “Let’s Do it, Let’s Fall In Love” (Ella Fitzgerald version)

Kalee October 22, 2013 at 3:44 pm

I love the quote “hurt people hurt people”. It definitely is something I have to remember!

We are planning our wedding tunes right now — we have a WIDE variety of things from REO Speedwagon to Merl Haggard. (My fiance is a music fanatic). I’m not sure what our first song will be though….I like that ya’lls is something special and kind of private with it being someone local.

Morganne @ Nut ButterRunner October 22, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Yum! That French Toast Scramble looks delicious! Definitely worth two servings! I’m currently challenging myself to have a new breakfast every morning, so thank you for a new recipe to try!

Karen@fabinyour40s.com October 22, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Our wedding song was Sentimental Reasons by Nat King Cole. We never hear it on the radio but I love it because it’s classy(classic) and he has a beautiful voice and the words were perfect. Dan and I are both are both a little old fashioned so this song and style suited us well. It was a great first song and I still am glad we chose it.

Grace October 22, 2013 at 4:01 pm

I too like “Hurt people hurt people”. It reminds me, though, that sometimes the most cheerful people are the ones that are struggling the most. Recently I’ve been trying to be careful not to be dismissive of happy people (because I’m “hurt”, busy, etc.). They might bounce back no problem, but they might be desperate for some kindness.

Lindsay October 22, 2013 at 4:07 pm

First Dance Song: Somewhere Over the Rainbow, but the ukulele/Hawaiian singer version. Strangely enough…5 years later we live on Oahu now!

When I can’t sleep I read, a book I find boring. The one that takes you 3 months to knock out but you’re a hundred pages in so you feel committed to finish. I fall asleep three more pages in and closer to finishing.

As a musical theater major, put on a show tune and I can probably draw it from the far corners of my mind. I put this theory to the test watching my 4 year old niece. All the sudden “It’s a Jolly Holiday with Mary” from Mary Poppins and “Do Re Mi” from The Sound of Music came out with lyrical perfection. I haven’t heard them in YEARS. Craziness!

Deb October 22, 2013 at 4:07 pm

I don’t think you’re weird or awkward! You did a great job! :-)

Tina October 22, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Thanks! 😄

Christina@LiveDreamRun October 22, 2013 at 4:15 pm

My memory is so good it’s scary at times. If there is a song I really like, I memorize the lyrics so I can sing along, and even after years of not hearing it, will not forget as soon as I hear the tune.

Our wedding song was Celine Dion’s Because You Loved Me. Since I rarely listen to the radio, I don’t know that it’s played often, but it’s on my iPod so I listen to it and do the whole “awww” thing fairly regularly.

Empathy, which I instill in my kiddos as early as kindergarten, is one of the greatest character traits you can have because it helps you understand the behavior of others, and in turn, be more patient. I believe there is a “why” behind everything we do. On another note, I also use this thought stopping exercise both with my clients and myself when it comes to quieting the mind. http://wp.me/p2HOJd-c8

Elizabeth @ Positive Change October 22, 2013 at 4:55 pm

For our wedding song, we picked out one we loved (The Way You Look Tonight), but the DJ played the wrong version, makes for a memory though!

sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com October 22, 2013 at 5:33 pm

there are a ton of songs i know all the words too, but the old standby is “ice ice baby”. it stil impresses people when i can bust out every single word at a wedding.

now im curious, what was your wedding song?

Sammy @ Peace Love and Ice Cream October 22, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I liked the video – you did a good job!!
    Our wedding song is something that I never hear on the radio either – but I didn’t want to pick something that every knew and that a million other people chose too! Actually, our band had to learn it (because they had never played it before!) and while we were having our first dance the singer totally screwed up the words! But nobody knew the song so no one except me realized it! lol
    -Sammy @ http://www.peaceandloveandicecream.com

Jennifer October 22, 2013 at 8:17 pm

When I can’t sleep, I count backwards slowly from 100, breathing deeply with each number. 90% of the time I don’t even make it to 60 before I’m out!

Betsy October 22, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Picking the first song was the only thing my husband had to do. He ended up picking a song from Garden State that was obviously a break up song, but he didn’t realize it. I was aggravated at the time, but now when I hear it, I have to laugh about what the people at our wedding must have thought!

Stephanie October 22, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Hi Tina! I am going to try thinking about pink elephants. I have a horrible time getting to sleep and can lay in bed for hours before finally drifting off!

Allison October 22, 2013 at 10:19 pm

My wedding song was ‘Let’s stay Together’ by Al Green and I know all the words to Shoop by Salt ‘n Pepa :-)

Sarah October 22, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Our first dance song was “In My Life” by The Beatles. I love hearing it on the radio and it was my senior quote in high school.

caren October 22, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Loved your wedding pic. You guys are so sweet! You look exactly the same, Mal looks a tad younger. Both adorable.

BTW, on the dogs. I had my pug for a while before we rescued our second dog. They HATED each other for about 2 months, now they are besties. Believe me, there’s room in your heart and home for another. I’m sure mom’s go through the same thing, but they do it more than once as well! Go for it!! you won’t regret it.

xo

Melody October 22, 2013 at 11:44 pm

We never hear ours on the radio either, but it’s an AMAZING song so I wouldn’t change it for the world. (Look at You Girl by Chris LeDoux) I’m off to listen right now. :) I always regret not playing my hubbys favorite (Guns n’ Roses) when we walked up the aisle as husband and wife. I liked the song I chose, but it really had nothing to do with him. Wish I would have made it more about him! 7 years ago and I still think about it.

And More Than Words!!!???!!! Best song to sing by yourself EVER.

Emily October 23, 2013 at 9:08 am

I always think of a field of wild flowers! Same concept though :)

Ashlee October 23, 2013 at 9:21 am

I actually know “It’s Tricky” by Run DMC and Big Butts by Sir Mix-a-Lot by heart, or at least when either of them are on it’s over…

When I can’t sleep, I wiggle my right big toe. It’s weird, and I do get made fun of by my man, but it works. It takes the focus off of everything else and I drift off to la-la land.

Monica October 23, 2013 at 9:26 am

When I can’t sleep, I visualize a paint roller with black paint, and I “paint over” everything i’m thinking about so all i visualize is black. If things creep back in, I repaint. It sounds ridiculous, but it really works!

Christa @ Sit-ups & Sequins October 23, 2013 at 9:45 am

First of all, you aren’t awkward at all! Second, I can’t wait to try that French Toast Scramble! I’m always looking for ways to “spice up” my usual egg routine and this sounds delicious!

Angie October 23, 2013 at 10:35 am

Just got a chance to read this one – French Toast Breakfast Scramble is one of my FAVORITES!! I have a copy of your recipe on my board at home, so I can always glance to see if I did it right. ~ Eventhough I have it memorized ~ Thank you for this!!

Tina October 23, 2013 at 10:37 am

Yay! So glad to hear that!

Liz M October 23, 2013 at 11:11 am

When I can’t sleep I pretend my body is slowly turning to stone starting at my toes and working toward my head. It makes my muscles relax and usually I am asleep by the time my thighs turn to “stone”.

Sarah @ Licorice & Olives October 23, 2013 at 6:10 pm

You would be surprised, dogs love buddies and you will find room in your heart for the new dog and so will Murphy!

Our first dance was to Dave Matthews Band – You and Me. we are the same, we never hear it on the radio or anywhere really. It would have been nice to have another song but when we put it on at home it makes it even more special.

Amelia October 24, 2013 at 1:16 am

I love the “hurt people hurt people” saying. That sounds like it would revolutionize my perspective too, especially about suffering in a global sense. Thanks for sharing :)

Lee November 4, 2013 at 6:48 pm

So what was your first dance song?

Mine was pretty obscure too – Somebody by Depeche Mode.