• Getting The Day Off to a Good Start

October 25, 2013

Goooood morning! Happy Friday!

Murphy and I just got back from a long, leisurely walk. I listened to the most recent episode of the Balanced Bites podcast while Murphy sniffed anything and everything in his path. It was a wonderful way to start the day.

photo (5)_thumb

Most mornings, I wake up, eat breakfast, and go straight into my office to get to work. Murphy typically goes back to bed and then pokes his little pug head into office around 9:00/9:30, which signals that he’s ready for his morning walk. Taking a walk before breakfast was a nice way to mix things up.

When I got back from our walk, I played some tunes and made breakfast. Murphy and I may have even had a little dance party. You probably already know this, but pugs love to dance.

This morning’s breakfast was two waffles with peanut butter, banana slices, raspberries, and maple syrup. Yum! I want to eat this breakfast every morning.

Speaking of breakfast, let’s rewind to yesterday’s eats!

Breakfast

I was all about the Frosted Mini Wheats yesterday morning. I had two bowls with banana slices and almond milk. Mmm!

Lunch

I was glued to my computer all morning (lots of freelance projects are coming my way lately) and then broke for lunch around noon, which, once again, was an English muffin pizza. I seriously might eat this again for lunch today. It’s such an easy and delicious meal!

Murphy was really interested in my English muffin pizza, so I let him lick my plate after I finished eating. I think he scored a little bit of marinara sauce and few crumbs of English muffin, which I’m sure made him really happy. Pugs are easy to please.

IMG_7681

Snacks

Random afternoon snacks: spoonfuls of peanut butter, toasted coconut almonds, and pieces of dried papaya.

afternoon_snacks

Dinner

On my way home from CrossFit, I stopped by The Yogurt Bar to get some froyo for dinner. It was amazing.

I ate it while I cuddled with my favorite dog on the couch. (I’m not sure he can get any cuter.)

IMG_7697

When Mal got home, I made him a frozen BBQ chicken pizza and snagged a piece. (He didn’t mind.) I figured I should probably eat some “real” dinner after eating froyo.

IMG_7702

How do you get your day off to a good start?

Other things I like to do to get my day off to a good start:

• Make the bed
    • Get Marylou’s iced coffee
    • Talk to my friend Jen on her drive to work
    • Do 5-10 minutes of yoga while watching the news
    • Take a hot shower and use the products I typically save for special occasions, like the fancy body scrubs

Amy @ The Little Honey Bee October 25, 2013 at 10:33 am

A workout :) I love working out in the mornings.

Captain Competition October 25, 2013 at 11:40 am

I don’t exactly workout in the mornings but I start by doing at least 20 push-ups right out of bed, gets the heart rate up. Then while brushing my teeth I balance on one foot the whole time. Last on my way up to my desk at work I take five flights of stairs. So, by 8 am I have gotten that mini-exercise to start my day.

Kristen @ notsodomesticated October 25, 2013 at 10:35 am

Prayer, and cuddles with my baby girl! ;)

Tiffany October 25, 2013 at 10:36 am

Your eats look delicious and Murphy is one cute pug! Can I ask – why you brought back the what I ate type of posts? I thought you mentioned that you were really sick of doing them. Its nice to see you show what you eat only because I feel like you are so real when you mention you ate seconds of something :)

kathy October 25, 2013 at 10:39 am

Tina, are you back to documenting your daily eats?

Alisha @ Alisha's Appetite October 25, 2013 at 10:39 am

Morning walks are the best way to start the day! And I love letting my dog lick my plate when I’m finished- it always makes him SO happy :)

Annie Atherton October 25, 2013 at 10:45 am

On weekdays, my days start best if I can get into the box for the 5:15am CrossFit class. When I do that, I get to shower at work, where I keep my favorite shower soaps that are so yummy!

Weekends, my favorite way to start the day is when both kiddos climb into our king size bed and we all snuggle, laugh and talk before starting the day :)

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run October 25, 2013 at 10:49 am

Aw, that’s sweet, talking to your friend on her way to work. I need to call my friends more. Happy Friday :)

Lillian @ Seize the Latte October 25, 2013 at 10:51 am

OMG, Murphy is so. Effing. Cute. I wouldn’t blame you one bit if you decided to spend the day cuddling that little guy to pieces! :) Also, I seriously appreciate the English muffin pizzas. I used to love those things, and you’re right that they’re ridiculously easy to make when you’re pinched for time.

Have fun with the freelance projects — I’d like to get into freelancing in the relatively near future, so at some point I might ask if I can pick your brain/request some guidance on the matter.

And, of course, happy Friday!

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance October 25, 2013 at 10:55 am

I roll out of bed and force myself to workout. It’s tough, especially now that it is dark the entire hour I am working out, but the end result is coffee!! I love those toasted coconut almonds. So yum!

Erica @ EricaDHouse.com October 25, 2013 at 10:58 am

I love English Muffin pizzas! And froyo for dinner :)

Suzanne October 25, 2013 at 10:59 am

The fro-yo looks good! A yogurt bar just opened in town, need to try ASAP!

I like to get my day started with a workout, then it’s all about the kids and getting everyone where they need to be :)

Laura @ RunningJunkie October 25, 2013 at 11:04 am

I like to have a nice, warm breakfast (runny eggs!) and read some blogs, drink my coffee…..and then go and have a kick ass workout!

Linda @ running4two October 25, 2013 at 11:12 am

I looooove buying new shower products…I really spend way too much money and my husband complains that I take up too much room in the shower. :)

Sounds like a great start to the day! I had two pieces of whole wheat toast with almond butter and sliced banana…I even thought, Tina would really like this breakfast :).

Have a wonderful weekend!

Tina October 25, 2013 at 11:15 am

Sounds like Mal! Our shower is out of control!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 25, 2013 at 11:13 am

Haha froyo for dinner sounds good to me! And now I’m dying to make my own mini pizzas after seeing them on here so often! Just need to go get some cheese!

Andrea October 25, 2013 at 11:14 am

That english muffin pizza looks so good. And so does that BBQ chicken pizza! (Can you tell I’m craving pizza?!) What brand of frozen BBQ chicken pizza do you like/have you found to be the best? Murphy is SO cute!!

Elizabeth @ Positive Change October 25, 2013 at 11:17 am

I love sipping coffee and catching up on the local news. I also love making the bed, it always feels like the day is going to start awesome! Pizza looks super yummy!

Missy October 25, 2013 at 11:22 am

Regardless of the day, it has to start with a hot cup of coffee. I usually start my coffee maker, take the pups for a 15-20 minute walk, then warm up with my coffee!

Annette@FitnessPerks October 25, 2013 at 11:24 am

That fro yo looks amazing!! I totally craved pizza all throughout this pregnancy, so your eats look fab :)

For the morning to start right, I like to pray/brush teeth/workout or teach a fitness class & then I go to work!

Nicole @ FruitnFitness October 25, 2013 at 11:27 am

My favorite part of the day is morning snuggles with my dog Bentley. He hears my alarm goes off and crawls up on top of my face begging for a belly rub and kisses. No better start to the day!

Chrissy October 25, 2013 at 11:32 am

Froyo for dinner is why I love this blog :)

Tina October 25, 2013 at 11:34 am

I kind of want it for dinner tonight too!

Brittany @ The Fit Phoenician October 25, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Waking up and cuddling with my daighter is the best, although running or yoga are the perfect start to my morning on a good note too :)

Annie October 25, 2013 at 12:24 pm

After seeing this post, I just went and made my self an english muffin pizza on your paleo microwaveable english muffin!

Jackie October 25, 2013 at 12:37 pm

That pizza looks great!

tracy October 25, 2013 at 12:48 pm

I love this post- fro yo and english muffin pizza. That’s real life somedays, and it’s absolutely fantastic.

Ashley @ BrocBlog October 25, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Yum can I do froyo for breakfast? If i get fruit its like a yogurt parfait…
    I like to wake up at least 30 minutes before I need to function and eat a nice leisurely breakfast. I hate rushing in the morning it throws off my day.

Maureen October 25, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Thanks for always keeping it real – sometimes english muffin pizzas and fro yo are part of “4 square meals,” even though they are round! ;-) First thing I usually do is hop in the shower. My Kenra shampoo & conditioner smell fabulous and wake me up!

Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit October 25, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Coconut almonds?! I’m loving TJ’s Coconut Cashews right now – so good!! And now I’m drooling over that pizza – buffalo anything – sign me up!

Bethany October 25, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I get my day off to a good start with a good cup of coffee and walking my pup, Jameson.

Maria October 25, 2013 at 1:25 pm

A really good sweat session. Today I did speed intervals on the treadmill with weights in between. Brunch with girlfriends or my sister is also a great way to start off the day :-)

Jenny October 25, 2013 at 1:37 pm

A good day always starts with a workout for me. During the week. On the weekend– a perfect day starts out with making my family a big breakfast. :)

My pug Rango is like a little garbage disposal! He’ll eat anything and everything! lol

Sarah @ Sweet Miles October 25, 2013 at 2:30 pm

mmm an english muffin pizza, yes please! I love starting the day off with a big glass of water, and cuddling on the couch with my favorite people…aka my husband and dog :) Murphy is SO cute, I was cracking up at the one of him all snuggled up!

Sara @ fitcupcaker October 25, 2013 at 3:00 pm

froyo for dinner, how amazing. What a cute little pug face!

Shel@PeachyPalate October 25, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Workout first thing…hot shower, awesome breakfast, in that order! :) That fresh peanut butter looks AMAZING!!

Tara October 25, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Ahh, those almonds are like crack! LOVE them.

Weekdays-getting up and getting a workout in.
    Weekends-coffee in bed with my husband , while cuddling with the pups, best days!!!

Britt October 25, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Morning run is the best way to start my day, it sets the tone for the rest of the day.

mary @ minutes per mile October 25, 2013 at 3:12 pm

i love starting my day with a run. it’s just so good to get outside-even if it’s a gross day!

Taylor @ Single-tracked Mind October 25, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Step number one for a good day is a work out, whether that’s a yoga class, a run, or lifting weights. I also hate to rush, but I often find myself rushing out the door because I ran an extra mile or did an extra set of weights.

Ashley October 25, 2013 at 3:17 pm

I try and get my work outs in first thing, which helps to start the day of well. But this past week I’ve been tapering so taking it easy and got a couple good walks in with the pup in the morning. It was a really nice way to ease into the day!

Lauren @ Peaks and Passports October 25, 2013 at 3:25 pm

I did two things this morning that got me off to an amazing start: 1. Went to a super-hard, super-motivating spin class (just getting back into spin and loving it), and 2. Rediscovered my milk frother ($2 from Ikea) and made myself a faux cappucino with frothed milk and coffee from my Keurig with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top. It tasted like the real thing and made me ridiculously happy!

Christine@munchkinmumbles October 27, 2013 at 10:27 pm

@Lauren @ Peaks and Passports:
    Milk frothers make weekend mornings even more amazing!

Heather October 25, 2013 at 7:16 pm

I try to start the day with CrossFit or running. Or CrossFit and running! And I’m making your oatmeal raisin bars for breakfast. (Thanks for the recipe – I make them all the time!)

Sammy @ Peace Love and Ice Cream October 25, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Throw on my workout clothes – first thing! Then…Coffee! VitaTop! Lipgloss :)
    -Sammy

Cassie October 26, 2013 at 11:38 am

I love this post! Mornings are my favorite time of the day.

Here’s my favorite ways to start the day:
    -go for a run (6 miles is my goal during the work week)
    -go to early yoga
    -watch GMA (always!)
    -read blogs
    -yummy breakfast!

Livi October 26, 2013 at 2:27 pm

I just LOVE to start my day with some coffee, some journaling, and some bible reading! Always puts me off on a good foot :)

Christine@munchkinmumbles October 27, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Fro yo for dinner is so good! So high in calcium and protein (especially with peanut butter sauce ;) ) we just started to get fro to in Canada! My city now boasts 2 menchies!!! Haha
    I love starting my mornings with a good workout and a hearty breakfast! Or lazily with pancakes!
    I have been craving little muffin pizzas or pita pizzas. Thanks for reminding me! I will have to make them this week!

Kalee October 28, 2013 at 2:57 pm

I love fancy scrubs too! :) I also love to be able to wake up and smell breakfast cooking in the kitchen. Awesome leftovers also work.

Amy November 3, 2013 at 12:57 pm

After seeing your English muffin pizzas I had to make them for myself for lunch today–so good! Thanks for the easy meal idea :)

Tina November 3, 2013 at 1:12 pm